Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Bad Marketing or Late Release?

I don't get it... A little over a month from release, and nothing but vauge information and some scenery screenshots are all they are releasing? This is the oddest MMO prerelease I have witnessed. Games in development with years to go have gameplay footage out.

Is the lack of information because of incredibly bad marketing or the fact that development is not far along enough to show the game off? Could it be a fundraising tactic to sell DF 1.0 (you get UW free if you own the original)?

Before you say these guys are devs and terrible at marketing, or don't care about making $ but just about making a game they want to play, they have received outside funding for the game, so there is a suit in there somewhere who wants an ROI. If the economic burden was just on the devs I could see this. But outside investment negates the 'they dont care about money' argument.

I am very much looking forward to finding out more info on UW, as I love sandboxes and PvP. But with this little info it is hard to get excited about the title. I mean, they could have added Pandas and Pokemon for all we know :O

Often lurking, rarely posting

Comments

• zimikezimike Member UncommonPosts: 160
    Originally posted by Muerte_X

I don't get it... A little over a month from release, and nothing but vauge information and some scenery screenshots are all they are releasing? This is the oddest MMO prerelease I have witnessed. Games in development with years to go have gameplay footage out.

Is the lack of information because of incredibly bad marketing or the fact that development is not far along enough to show the game off? Could it be a fundraising tactic to sell DF 1.0 (you get UW free if you own the original)?

Before you say these guys are devs and terrible at marketing, or don't care about making $ but just about making a game they want to play, they have received outside funding for the game, so there is a suit in there somewhere who wants an ROI. If the economic burden was just on the devs I could see this. But outside investment negates the 'they dont care about money' argument.

I am very much looking forward to finding out more info on UW, as I love sandboxes and PvP. But with this little info it is hard to get excited about the title. I mean, they could have added Pandas and Pokemon for all we know :O

This may be the best marketing strategy ever. The public does not know too much about the game, so they tend to fill in the gaps using their imagination. This allows others to fill in the gaps with what they desire to be in the game, thus further increasing the hype.

• Muerte_XMuerte_X Member Posts: 104
    Possible. The problem with that is as soon as people get in game they say "hey, this isn't what I imagined it would be!" and quit. Look at all the 'I want this in the game' threads that have poped up on this forum alone, like they are going to actually effect the game before release. All there is currently is speculation and dreaming.

• SirFubarSirFubar Member Posts: 397
    IMHO the game will not be released anytime soon or the game will simply be terribad. I wouldn't put any faith in this game if its about to be released soon without any real informations/gameplay videos to backup what the devs are saying about the changes between both games. I hope for the best because this game could be one excellent MMO, but so far, I don't think this game will do well.
  • fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

Really? 

Come on.  If you want more of the same with some balacing changes then you'll have fun.

If you want some totally new experience, with greatly expanded game that will finally be something more than huge open world deatchmatch with sieges.    You gonna be disappointed.

• OzivoisOzivois Member UncommonPosts: 598
    From my recollection from the original Darkfall the marketing was lacking.  I would chalk this up to bad marketing.  MMO devs need to put alot of effort into their website (their storefront) and budget some advertising.
  • KasmosKasmos Member UncommonPosts: 593

As someone who has followed the Darkfall franchise from the beginning (and I mean early 2000s) I would love a video of gameplay footage, but I doubt we're going to get one until November.

And you think it's bad marketing? Look at the hype on this forum alone, Darkfall: UW is #1. Trust me, I want a video of gameplay immensely, but I think they have an idea of what they're doing.

• AnnwynAnnwyn Member UncommonPosts: 2,854

I think it's likely because the game isn't changing all that much from DarkFall 1.0. I know some members here have already stopped reading and are writing a rage post, but keep reading. Although the combat, the scenary, etc has changes slightly, it's still DarkFall so looking at DarkFall 1.0 is probably considering by Aventurine as "enough". All the new changes, from the armor system, GUI, etc are mentionned in text format (through the community manager). Aventurine has always been extremely awkward and borderline incompetent in regards to hyping their game, so my guess is they don't want to shoot themselves in the foot again (like they did in DarkFall 1.0). A good decision from their perspective, but a bad one from the perspective of the players.

And to Zimike : No, this is in fact the worst terrible situation that can happen to a video game ( or anything that can be hyped for that matter). It leads potential customers attributing certain features, mentality, etc that are unrealistic. This would lead to a terrible backlash against Aventurine, just like it happened at the Launch of DarkFall 1.0. Aventurine should make details about DF2.0 more clear and present more videos to reduce the risk of a backlash against an already weakened company.

• Muerte_XMuerte_X Member Posts: 104
    Originally posted by fenistil

Really? 

Come on.  If you want more of the same with some balacing changes then you'll have fun.

If you want some totally new experience, with greatly expanded game that will finally be something more than huge open world deatchmatch with sieges.    You gonna be disappointed.

I'd like to see bigger changes, but an open world deathmatch with seiges sounds fun too :) My first MMO was Shadowbane, still my favorite to date, and that is all that game was. Still really wanna see thier class system layout though... The UI... etc etc

• Wizlock23Wizlock23 Member UncommonPosts: 107

They did this on the first game also , and yet it still came out --- and people had accounts on ebay for 1000-2000$ and selling becauuse of how limited the release was at that time. People could not wait to get into the game and see  the world that was being shown through words on there website .    With that said , i do think the game will come out Nov.20th --- not because this is the FIRST date they set for this , but simply because this was suppose to come out in 2010 ... WIth that said , anyone who played DF1.0 will know this is pretty safe to say it is coming out Nov  20th (its been pushed back so far that there should be no reason it should not(also AV will always say withing the "next few months" if they are unsure, and not give an exact date - 

OFFTOPIC RANT******   Also Anyone looking to come to this game NEW , without prior darkfall knowledge , the best thing i can tell u is to have an open mind... The FFA full loot isnt what ur  use to and isnt how it sounds. Sure in WoW if u lost ur gear any everything u have on u i could see quiting the game, but in DF it seriously takes 2 min to make a FULL set of bone amour (the mats are VERY easy to come by).  So losing ur precious gear is not as bad as the trolls will make it out to be .   Also You will not be carrying EVERYTHING u own on u at all times like most MMO;s  , u will only take out what u need to PVP/PVE/Gather/roam etc etc with .       I suggest jumping in and joining a clan that has some members who was in DF1.0 and can direct u on what to do . (***the game has alot of great people playing, and equally as many hardcore pvp members who want nothing more then to burn u to the ground and take ur precious gears :)   ... u just gotta find the crowd u like and stick with em **_)    OFFTOPIC RANT over******

Anyways . This info is coming from someone (me) who watched DF grow from the famous (vapoware) in 1995 or so , up till now . I know AV's track record pretty well and i never take anything i hear about the game without a pinch of salt  --- the game should release on time as i said above - and hope to see u knew guys in the game

• rikiliirikilii Member UncommonPosts: 1,084
    IMO, no serious gameplay footage means no game.  They release a lot of gameplay footage, at least 5 months before the original EU launch.  If they are relaunching in 7 weeks, there's absolutely no reason they shouldn't have it out by now.

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005
    Originally posted by fenistil

Really? 

I'd like to see bigger changes, but an open world deathmatch with seiges sounds fun too :) My first MMO was Shadowbane, still my favorite to date, and that is all that game was. Still really wanna see thier class system layout though... The UI... etc etc

You know I am not saying it is bad. Well for me it is not enough. But it is not bad and deffo there is whole bunch of players that like it.   I just want to cool few heads since I saw (not necessarily on this forum) sentences like "this time they will definatly release full fledged sandbox, like UO just with even more features!!".

Well no they won't. 

For those who liked DFO and those who like mmo pvp thrill that cannot compare to anything else curretnly on the market - it will be fun.

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072
    Originally posted by zimike

This may be the best marketing strategy ever. The public does not know too much about the game, so they tend to fill in the gaps using their imagination. This allows others to fill in the gaps with what they desire to be in the game, thus further increasing the hype.

This kind of marketing is the worst kind. If you sort of allow people to create their dream game out of imagination the game will never ever live up to those expectations leading into massive dissapointments. Ofcourse the audience must be quite stupid if they make up stuff and then believe in it, but it has been happening recently on even more well informed mmo launches lol.

Originally posted by Kuinn

This kind of marketing is the worst kind. If you sort of allow people to create their dream game out of imagination the game will never ever live up to those expectations leading into massive dissapointments. Ofcourse the audience must be quite stupid if they make up stuff and then believe in it, but it has been happening recently on even more well informed mmo launches lol.

For many other games, like GW2, etc, this would be a bad marketing model. However, Darkfall might be the exception to the rule. Many players think they know what they want in an MMO until they try Darkfall. You see, too many people judge a game too early when too many details are released. It is only until you immerse yourself into Darkfall that your idea of the perfect MMO changes. 

In my opinion, Darkfall is that one game you must play to truly judge. No words can describe the rush you get in PVP, whether you are attempting to flee to safely, or are in hot pursuit of another player. Darkfall invokes strong emotions(good and bad) that are unmatched by anything recently put on the market.

People like us need to market this game using our experiences. Normally people will trust their friends over a gameplay video.

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    It's number one on the hype meter.  While not a great guage of actual numbers, it does show that they are known about.

I self identify as a monkey.

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072
    Originally posted by zimikeMany players think they know what they want in an MMO until they try something else. You see, too many people judge a game too early when too many details are released.

Well, this actually, there's truth in it even if it's not a rule.

• naljejanaljeja Member Posts: 94
    i agree that this game can't be anticipated or predicted judging by visual marketing at all. The game is so much more than what you would see on a video or a screenshot, simply because it has depht that sometimes can reach very far into you. There have been several times in DF where i have felt my heart pounding so fast that I was worried for a stroke, and moments where i have been in an intense fight and i lift my hand and my mouse have been soaked in sweat and shaking so much that I've been worried about my health condition, (there is nothing wrong with). I have never felt something like that in any other game and such things cannot be shown trough videos, ads or whatnot, but it sure helps for the games publicity
    Originally posted by naljeja
    i agree that this game can't be anticipated or predicted judging by visual marketing at all. The game is so much more than what you would see on a video or a screenshot, simply because it has depht that sometimes can reach very far into you. There have been several times in DF where i have felt my heart pounding so fast that I was worried for a stroke, and moments where i have been in an intense fight and i lift my hand and my mouse have been soaked in sweat and shaking so much that I've been worried about my health condition, (there is nothing wrong with). I have never felt something like that in any other game and such things cannot be shown trough videos, ads or whatnot, but it sure helps for the games publicity

All I know is that I'll be there on day one. I just hope they don't release sales in batches like the last time. Would hate to have to refresh my browser over and over just to order the game. :)

• HancakesHancakes Member Posts: 1,045

All I know is that I'll be there on day one. I just hope they don't release sales in batches like the last time. Would hate to have to refresh my browser over and over just to order the game. :)

Aren't owners of Darkfall getting into UW free?

• SirBalinSirBalin Member UncommonPosts: 1,300

They've actually posted quite a bit in the spotlight section of the forums.  That said, this company took a beating from the community for things like bad information, missed timelines etc.  I believe at this point they want to concentrate on getting things right, so they are a little timid about posting information.

Incognito
    www.incognito-gaming.us
    "You're either with us or against us"

• Wizlock23Wizlock23 Member UncommonPosts: 107
    Originally posted by Hancakes

Aren't owners of Darkfall getting into UW free?

No one knows for sure --

i will break down the sotry line and why people keep saying yes/no to this topic-

2010 this GAME was suppose to  just be an expansion , but after years of adding and adding they decided to make it a full new game . During the timeframe when it was suppose to be an expansion they said  No current DF player would have to buy a diff game or purchase anything as it was just going to be an expansion at the time. ---- then once the news got released that this was not an expansion and is now an entirely NEW GAME , i am assuming (as well as everyone else , because they have not said anything on this topic in a very long time) that because it is now a diffrent game all together (i.e seperate of DF1) it has nothing to do with DF1 ..so im guessing and im sure its going to be right , that this game will cost EVERYONE the same price. 

But until they tell us FOR SURE , then its all based on the info we have been given so far ( Old exp , was told it would be free, not having to buy anything because it was going to keep the same game  and just add onto it ...now , NEW GAME , no official report about being free, all info in posts keeps clearly saying "this is a NEW game and is completly seperate of DF 1.0 "

• HancakesHancakes Member Posts: 1,045
    Hmm... Not sure I trust Tacos enough to blindly give money again.  (compounded by the climate in Greece and the complete lack of information)