Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Marriage in MMORPGs...do we really need it?

I remember about 4 years ago when I first began playing mmorpgs and heard of 2 toons that were about to get  *cough* married.  I thought "Oh well, it's their way of having fun- what do I care."  I'm not too much for the idea, but I'm interested in hearing other opinions.

"A good man knows his limits, a Great man knows he has none...."

Comments

• DjinDjin Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,263

I know when UO was in its prime people REALLY got married via the game... pretty crazy if you ask me...

It's not needed... I understand if it's "in game",  that's one thing... (if you're really hardcore roleplaying)

But to really.... well... I met my wife on ICQ and her and I got married... so it's not that bad. *blushes*

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    E.T. is alive...
    MMORPG.com - Gramp Staff

What will he do next?
  • digitydarkmandigitydarkman Member Posts: 2,194
    uo still has weddings every now and then

DiGiTyDarKMaN Lettin All The Sexy Ladies Know -

image T-I-Double-Ga-Errr Babyimage

*sigh*  image

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    E.T. is alive...
    MMORPG.com - Gramp Staff

What will he do next?
  • RiotgirlRiotgirl Member UncommonPosts: 520

Desperado,

MMOG's are merely a graphical and indepth extension of text based MUD's. The net is merely another form of social interaction changing in the face of technology. In a virtual graphical world, where we form real attachments to our 'virtual' avatars, the logical conclusion will be 'virtual' relationships and even weddings. It's another form of social bonding.

I have no intention to either marry IRL or in VL [virtual life] but one of the funniest things that will always stay with me, even on my death bed as I exhale my miserable last breathe before shuffling off this mortal coil, will be a screenshot of UO which featured a player marriage, and all the assorted well wishers, rudely interrupted by a group of PK'ers - who ran rampage and slaughtered the whole lot of 'em. It was fricken hilarious! The Priests words were cut-off mid sentance by someone whacking him with some f--k off axe!

I killed myself laughing at that. Nearly as funny as a reader sending in a picture of him driving a truck in Carmaggedon (or it's sequeal), where he performed a skid at a zebra crossing, ploughing straight through a line of school-children crossing the road. It was just pure carnage. Twisted but incredibly funny.

Sick, sad world!

Regards,
    Riotgirl

"she's like this cleavagey, slut-bomb walking around going 'oh, check me out. i'm wicked cool. i'm five by five'."

"If you think I'm plucky and scrappy and all I need is love, you're in way over your head. I don't have a heart of gold or get nice. There are a lot nicer people coming up. We call them losers."

• SerienSerien Member CommonPosts: 8,460

my friend (one of the first people i saw in EQ) got married in EQ...

i talked to her recently on IM, and she said taht she actualy...

MOVED TO FLORIDA TO GET MARRIED TO THE PERSON ON EQ! IN REAL LIFE!

i though that was amazing

i mean, they, as a couple, can sit there day and night on EQ....togethorimage

It's fun.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    E.T. is alive...
    MMORPG.com - Gramp Staff

What will he do next?
  • MistiMisti Member Posts: 724

I agree with Riotgirl, they definately have their place in social games like this.  I know a number of people who have gotten married in EQ and it was alot of fun both for them and for us, their friends.  I also think its really neat that people have found someone special this way. 

Sometimes we live in a really lonely world and I cant begrudge anyone meeting and falling for someone in a social mmorpg.

• rathmarathma Member UncommonPosts: 3,786
     Getting married in a game adds even more depth to socializing in the game, although i think weddings might be going i bit far i haven't really seen it in an mmorpg before that i've played, it might be good.

http://www.OriginNow.com - Official Fanboi

EverQuest II : Level 20 Paladin - Antonia Bayle Server
  • rathmarathma Member UncommonPosts: 3,786
     BTW, i know getting married in real life from a video game sounds crazy, but i'd actually prefer it from a real date (Hear me out before you think im crazy). In online games they get alot more of a chance to know you personally than what you just look like. And for some people who are shy, it makes them feel alot more comfortable talking than in RL. And your guarenteed generally the same interests if your both playing video games. Just my oppinion.

http://www.OriginNow.com - Official Fanboi

EverQuest II : Level 20 Paladin - Antonia Bayle Server
  • ElfinMageElfinMage Member Posts: 11
    i dont mind it as long as they dont actually start acting they do things like actually get married after meeting online(thats a little bit perverse there) otherwise its okay with me(im not gonna kill em all unless theres more than 10 of em then let the blood fly and the swords cleave!)

History Abhors A Paradox-Raziel(Soul Reaver 2)

Whats wrong with getting to know someone you play hours and hours of a mmorpg with and eventually moving on from there?  Calling on the phone eventually, then dating, then eventually getting married?

How is meeting your future boyfriend/girlfriend/spouse in a mmorpg all that different from meeting them somewhere else?  Its a sure sign you share some similar interests which is more then you get from meeting someone in a bar.  I mean sure it would be weird if you just fell for them in game and decided to get married in real life never having met them, but I dont see why you cant move on beyond the game and have a real relationship.

not to be rude but perhaps u missed the words after meeting online as in they meet and then they get married that what i mean

Oh your saying if they decided to get married in real life never having even really met in real life?  If so, sorry I misunderstood you and I would agree with you.

• SatansDiscipleSatansDisciple Member Posts: 2,782

hehe, i like gettin married in mmo's for fun.

"This is the beginning of a new day. You have been given this day to use as you will. You can waste it or use it for good. What you do today is important because you are exchanging a day of your life for it. When tomorrow comes, this day will be gone forever; in its place is something that you have left behind...let it be something good."
    - Unknown Author

--------------------------------------

• Clever_GloveClever_Glove Member Posts: 996

This is a phenomenon I never really understood. (and I pray I never do)

If planning a fake wedding, saying vows to someone you don't really know, eating fake food, getting fake drunk, picking up fake brides maids, and catching a make believe bouquet.... is what floats your boat then more power to you. I'd rather gouge out my eyes with a rusty ice pick than attend one of these.

-=-=-=-=-
    A game is only late untill it's released, but it's bad forever.
    A: 93% E: 55% S:3% K: 50%

Games and players have a type. What type are you? click here

-=-=-=-=-
    Achievers realise that killers as a concept are necessary in order to make achievement meaningful and worthwhile (there being no way to "lose" the game if any fool can "win" just by plodding slowly unchallenged). -bartle

Bartle: A: 93% E: 55% S:3% K: 50% The Test. Learn what it means here.

• killerTwinkiekillerTwinkie Member CommonPosts: 1,694

It's not a question of do we need... but more of a "Do we want!?" sorta deal.  People from EverQuest have actually gotten together and married each in RL [Real Life].  So it's not 100% bad, It's just not my thing image

---------------------------------------
    You can't stop the bum rush
    www.mmorpg.com - staff

KillerTwinkie - That one guy who used to mod mmorpg.com's forums.

Good Things and Bad Things About MMORPG Weddings

Good Things:

1.It makes it feel more like real-life.

2.It's really fun to run through it killing them all.

3.You can laugh at them when their "spouse" is never on.

Bad Things:

1.Sometimes all of the guests are level 99 and armed with the best weapons they can get.

2.Sometimes they perform the cermony near a large fire.

3.Sometimes you lose your connection just before you mercilessly slaughter the "groom".

• DesperadoDesperado Member Posts: 467

Ok, I'm glad I took this poll because obvisouly we have alot of different opinions out there...

Yes, mmorpgs are a form of social interaction- I'm not denying that one bit.  That doesn't mean I have to care for it, but hey, to each his own right?

Right!  So, Riotgirl, that's why I gave the last option on the poll as "killing those at the wedding."  You see, I have already participated in such a raid.  As you said, it was freakin' hilarious.  The scene....

A ledge overlooking a brilliant waterfall in South Dereth (AC), close to a city I can't remember.  A handfull of us raided a wedding with about 15-20 people in it.  Glorious, complete anarchy and mayhem- I enjoyed every minute of slaughtering those 2 monarchies.  People were jumping off the cliff into the waterfall just so their corpses wouldn't get looted.  It was one of those moments that you just wish you could revisit time and time again- LOL

So now, after writing this, I've actually convinced myself that I am actually FOR weddings in mmorpgs.  Well, weddings on pk servers anyway.  How else will I ever try to replace that malicious thirst for bride & groom blood that I spilt with oh-so-much fun in the past...

Did you wait for the "does anyone object?" before busting in?  In a wedding raid do you target the bride, groom or mother in law 1st?

-=-=-=-=-

-=-=-=-=-
    Achievers realise that killers as a concept are necessary in order to make achievement meaningful and worthwhile (there being no way to "lose" the game if any fool can "win" just by plodding slowly unchallenged). -bartle

• DerwoodDerwood Member Posts: 25

Sometimes you just need something to do besides kill fake monsters.  And sometimes that something is a fake wedding.  And any vertual wedding that I ever attended had bouncers.  So bring it on party crashers!  You will be the entertainment for the reception!

• killerTwinkiekillerTwinkie Member CommonPosts: 1,694
    I was at this one wedding in EverQuest... there were a bunch of people there.. way to many to count.
    The people getting married were so called "Uber" and they had a bunch of low levels try to kill them.
    In response the groom decided to kill them both solo, it was hillarious, the bouncers didnt even try to kill them.  Good times image

---------------------------------------
    You can't stop the bum rush
    www.mmorpg.com - staff

KillerTwinkie - That one guy who used to mod mmorpg.com's forums.

• squeeesqueee Member Posts: 722
    I suppose I am against any and all MMOG weddings.  I guess I am against meeting people online period.  Well not in that sense.  I meet people online and talk with them, but never become emotionally attached in any way shape or form.  I mean, come on.  You meet someone online and you have no idea what kind of real freak they are.  My roomate freshman year in college always had online long distance girlfriends.  He would stay up all hours talking with her and playing games.  In the end, he never went to class or studied and had to drop out before the end of his first year.  He then decided to drive up and surprise her, and when he got there her RL boyfriend was there.  I had a good laugh, but felt sorry because he threw away his education for some online fake.  Another example, more personal, I just got out of a 2 year relationship with a girl that I loved with all my heart.  Why?  Because she met someone online and thought she fell in love with him.  She even let him move in with her, oh and he was married to some other girl.  Anyway he is gone now back to his wife, because she is pregnant, but in the time she spent with him, she let her education go to hell, failing everything and droping classes left and right, and now she is trying to crawl back.  So the moral of the story I have learned, meet people online and play games and ahave fun, but when it comes to relationships and online marriages and dating, stay away, far far away.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    My software never has bugs. It just develops random features.
    Why doesn't DOS ever say "EXCELLENT command or filename!"

Customer: "How fast will my COM ports go?"
    Tech Support: "How hard can you throw your computer?"

• KiamdeKiamde Member CommonPosts: 5,820
    THe way PSO does it is funny. I wish the ceremony was longer tho.image

Kiamde

"Whoever controls the media controls the mind..-'Jim Morrison"

"When decorum is repression, the only dignity free men have is to speak out." ~Abbie Hoffman

• herculeshercules Member UncommonPosts: 4,924
    From a  role playing sense it adds colour to the game.

Originally posted by hercules
    From a  role playing sense it adds colour to the game.

And apparently allot of raids..

-=-=-=-=-

-=-=-=-=-