Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

one thing i think "they lied"

Comments

• RictisRictis Member UncommonPosts: 1,300
    Originally posted by itgrowls
    Originally posted by Zylaxx
    Originally posted by jackwu10

is the actual content that wasnt released but appears in map.

means, when i open the world map, the world is huge. but, the actual relased/playable map is only about like what? 60-70% of entire world map? of course u only find out that u cant really go to those "locked"/"unleased" area cos it's only comes in future expansion. they are just there now on map, to confuses u! :/ i am very unhappy about it.. 

design and relase the game, dont play those kind of tricks :/ when wow opens, there's 2 huge lands, only zone that closed at like what? silithus and the world of tree map, every expansion they add new lands, and open up old maps in the old land. i would be pissed off if vanilla wow released with outland, notrthland,pandaland shown but locked.

pls release the game content that we can see and can play, dont play silly trick like this and make us think " wow, there's so much more to come". i rather wait for suprise and see anet release something like "we add on another 30% of maps for you to play" in their website.  

And yet the total playable area is prolly twice the size of WoW and 10 times the size of Rift.

I am sorry but I don't see how that is possible. WoW has multiple expansions and their world is huge. I highly doubt that GW2 has more playable content / size at launch then WoW has right now.

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

Okay first and foremost, they showed examples of the actual maps, unchanged when the beta began. it was freely available on the net.

secondly, there's going to be unused space however if anyone has had the chance to pay attention to the map. the second layer of the map shows the zones available by what level they are.

and finally, this world is BIG, which begs the questions, since the world is big what is this post really about? is it the OP didn't do the research on the product before playing? Is he/she new to mmo's entirely? or is this some attempt at another complaint about the title because they don't like it in general and they are trying to find ways of posting malinformed negativity threads about it without being caught by the mods?

• KalSirian2KalSirian2 Member UncommonPosts: 42
    If they lied about one thing, it's when they said that there would be no "mob fields", aka enemies standing there all day for no apparent reason (except for you to kill), all over the world and respawning shortly after being killed. Maybe some starting areas  were somewhat true to that, but it's obvious that they didnt really keep their word.

• NaralNaral Member UncommonPosts: 748

I am not sure what I would get pissed about would be the map issue. If you wanna get mad, get mad at the ridiculous anti botting measures they put in which make high level play agonzing while doing nothing to really get rid of bots.

I can live with a misrepresenting map. ;-)

Originally posted by Wakygreek
    Originally posted by itgrowls

means, when i open the world map, the world is huge. but, the actual relased/playable map is only about like what? 60-70% of entire world map? of course u only find out that u cant really go to those "locked"/"unleased" area cos it's only comes in future expansion. they are just there now on map, to confuses u! :/ i am very unhappy about it.. 

design and relase the game, dont play those kind of tricks :/ when wow opens, there's 2 huge lands, only zone that closed at like what? silithus and the world of tree map, every expansion they add new lands, and open up old maps in the old land. i would be pissed off if vanilla wow released with outland, notrthland,pandaland shown but locked.

pls release the game content that we can see and can play, dont play silly trick like this and make us think " wow, there's so much more to come". i rather wait for suprise and see anet release something like "we add on another 30% of maps for you to play" in their website.  

And yet the total playable area is prolly twice the size of WoW and 10 times the size of Rift.

I am sorry but I don't see how that is possible. WoW has multiple expansions and their world is huge. I highly doubt that GW2 has more playable content / size at launch then WoW has right now.

Then you haven't seen the world. :) Sorry to inform you but the world is huge and it's not some top layer only, it has depth three layers of it in the open spaces and the nooks and crannies and all the little hidden caves underwater and above. It does have more open world content then WoW ever did both above and below water and it has dungeons ON TOP of those expansive places. If you went to see the cities alone you would know that the only city in gw2 that fits the size of the standard cities in both WoW and Rift is Rata Sum and the only reason why that is so small is due to the people there being tiny and their belief in making every geometric.

Borrow a friends pc who's playing it, walk around the Black Citadel, Divinity's Reach, and Hoelbrak. When the cities are that big, it shows you how much time and care went into the game.

I submit to you that the first release of GW2 has more content in it the WoW with 7 years of expansions on LAUNCH DAY, what do you seriously think will happen when they release expansions? hmmm? Big World. seriously. and just think. you actually get rewarded for exploration, not just some numbers on a achievement board. spssh.

• korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364
    Originally posted by Xasapis

Personally I don't mind the presence of unexplorable areas at all. It just shows that they have a grasp of the total world land mass and you get an idea on how far they can go in terms of expansions.

On the other hand, for the real explorer out there (and not the ones that go to the tourist attractions aka POIs), the game has way too many invisible walls for my liking.

Are you seriously comparing mmorpgs that feature mounts with one that doesn't? Don't you think there is a very specific reason GW2 has no mounts, compared to the other two you mentioned? (ie, faster running/mount speed make the world _feel_ smaller than it actualy is).

To be honest... I think waypoints behind every corner with instant teleportation ability makes the world feel smaller than it would with precious mounts since I get instantly wherever I want to be after my first visit there to unlock the WP.

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------

• CyclopsSlayerCyclopsSlayer Member UncommonPosts: 532

Yes, the released map is only a portion of the worlds map, no big deal, most games hint at future expansion zones. Maybe a bit misleading, but not really a lie.

As to the comment about the world being bigger than Azeroth (WoW), not even close. Maybe 2-3x bigger than Rift, I'll give you that. But WoW, Vanguard, EQ's, Asheron's Call... all have bigger and more open worlds. While a zones map may be decent size in a subjective fashion, often that is acheived by channeling movement, running from point A to B in a straight line would make the zones seem smaller, so they use roads/valleys/cliffs etc to make a player run a zig zag course, making the distance from A to B SEEM so much larger.

Been done in every MMO. It just becomes apparent when you notice that the cities they have in most MMO's are laid out by a couple drunkards describing the plan to a blind scribe. Makes the city seem so much larger when it takes 5 minutes to run to the neighbors for a cup of sugar. LOL

• NephaeriusNephaerius Member UncommonPosts: 1,671

They never said every part of Tyria would be playable at launch.  The landmass available is a good chunk but we're still waiting on some famous locales from the original game - Ring of Fire, Maguuma, and Crystal Desert.  You can also see the landmass flow into Elona the continent below Tyria.  I'm sure Cantha will make a triumphant return as well. 

Then there's the Dominion of Winds which is about the worst kept GW2 secret ever.  It's clearly going to be the starting area for Tengu players when the race is added.  It will be a 1-15(17) area and is directly surrounded by 15-25, 25-35, etc.  There's also a few other zones that are clearly going to be accessible in the future with guards, walls, and/or gates currently blocking the way.

I don't see how any of this is lying.  The alternative would be to only show you a portion of Tyria and since there's a previous game we all know what the full map looks like and that it's going to be filled in anyway.  For me the full map reveal simply makes me anticipate further returns to locales from the original Prophecies, drooling with anticipation.

Steam: Neph

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363

http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/vj2nc/stitched_the_map_of_the_planet_tyria_together_not/

They have the world drwan out due to the depth of the Lore that A.Net setup for Tyria (Tyria is the world and an anrea on the planet). Look at the above link to see how much they can add in later.

• jackwu10jackwu10 Member Posts: 127

guys~ c'mon~

stop focus on word "they lie" = =

my main discussion point is:

should they release the game, by: smaller world map, but all u see is all u can play.

or huge map, but u can only play half of them?

i just dont like how mmos these days present u something so large, so grand, so massive at initial stage, but tells u that, nope, cant go there, but u can go there, and that's part is not done, gotta wait for another 5months. but in the mean time, those are what u can play.

i prefer they release something that's smaller, but we cna play them all. and wait for surprise in future. 

if u look at picture below, one feels like half finished game, one feels complete. 

imageimage

ye, sure, this might not even be a issue to u, but to me it is.  in single player rpg u dont get this nonsense. fine. in old mmo, do UO do this to us?  do lineage do this to us? heck, even in xyson i got all hundred of blocks i can go.  

c'mon now guys, only lazy new mmo do this to us, they need to release game quickly in order to ger funding, so they release games which isnt fully complete and tell u the rest is for future content. maybe status of GW 2 is really complete, and rest is really future content, sho, but i surely dont feel happy about it. 

• RokurgeptaRokurgepta Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,136

guys~ c'mon~

should they release the game, by: smaller world map, but all u see is all u can play.

or huge map, but u can only play half of them?

i just dont like how mmos these days present u something so large, so grand, so massive at initial stage, but tells u that, nope, cant go there, but u can go there, and that's part is not done, gotta wait for another 5months. but in the mean time, those are what u can play.

i prefer they release something that's smaller, but we cna play them all. and wait for surprise in future. 

if u look at picture below, one feels like half finished game, one feels complete. 

imageimage

ye, sure, this might not even be a issue to u, but to me it is.  in single player rpg u dont get this nonsense. fine. in old mmo, do UO do this to us?  do lineage do this to us? heck, even in xyson i got all hundred of blocks i can go.  

c'mon now guys, only lazy new mmo do this to us, they need to release game quickly in order to ger funding, so they release games which isnt fully complete and tell u the rest is for future content. maybe status of GW 2 is really complete, and rest is really future content, sho, but i surely dont feel happy about it. 

You think they released quickly to get funding? You obviously know nothing about the time they took with this game.

UO added land after release. The game was much smaller at release. Your continued posts in this thread make you seem to be uninformed about anything you are posting about.

• gessekai332gessekai332 Member UncommonPosts: 861

the reason these areas can be seen are because the gw2 map is the same as the gw1 map at the end of all of its expansions. all these areas were unlocked at the end of gw1. it doesnt make sense to not label the rest of the world map that many players already know about just because some people never heard of these areas before,

Most memorable games: AoC(Tryanny PvP), RIFT, GW, GW2, Ragnarok Online, Aion, FFXI, FFXIV, Secret World, League of Legends (Silver II rank)

• BlahTeebBlahTeeb Member UncommonPosts: 624
    Originally posted by CyclopsSlay

Yes, the released map is only a portion of the worlds map, no big deal, most games hint at future expansion zones. Maybe a bit misleading, but not really a lie.

As to the comment about the world being bigger than Azeroth (WoW), not even close. Maybe 2-3x bigger than Rift, I'll give you that. But WoW, Vanguard, EQ's, Asheron's Call... all have bigger and more open worlds. While a zones map may be decent size in a subjective fashion, often that is acheived by channeling movement, running from point A to B in a straight line would make the zones seem smaller, so they use roads/valleys/cliffs etc to make a player run a zig zag course, making the distance from A to B SEEM so much larger.

Been done in every MMO. It just becomes apparent when you notice that the cities they have in most MMO's are laid out by a couple drunkards describing the plan to a blind scribe. Makes the city seem so much larger when it takes 5 minutes to run to the neighbors for a cup of sugar. LOL

Actually, WoW has very small maps. I have never played Rift or EQ to the extent that I played WoW, so I don't know about those.

WoW's maps are incredbily small in terms of surface area. The content inside will have you playing there and running around a lot, so it makes it feel big, but in reality, the total area is pretty small. GW2 maps are simply larger. The total map is simply larger.

In GW1 you couldn't really run in a straight line across a map. Do it in Guild Wars 2 and you will realize just how big the maps are.

• smh_alotsmh_alot Member Posts: 976
    Originally posted by BlahTeeb

Originally posted by CyclopsSlay
    Yes, the released map is only a portion of the worlds map, no big deal, most games hint at future expansion zones. Maybe a bit misleading, but not really a lie.   As to the comment about the world being bigger than Azeroth (WoW), not even close. Maybe 2-3x bigger than Rift, I'll give you that. But WoW, Vanguard, EQ's, Asheron's Call... all have bigger and more open worlds. While a zones map may be decent size in a subjective fashion, often that is acheived by channeling movement, running from point A to B in a straight line would make the zones seem smaller, so they use roads/valleys/cliffs etc to make a player run a zig zag course, making the distance from A to B SEEM so much larger. Been done in every MMO. It just becomes apparent when you notice that the cities they have in most MMO's are laid out by a couple drunkards describing the plan to a blind scribe. Makes the city seem so much larger when it takes 5 minutes to run to the neighbors for a cup of sugar. LOL

Actually, WoW has very small maps. I have never played Rift or EQ to the extent that I played WoW, so I don't know about those.

WoW's maps are incredbily small in terms of surface area. The content inside will have you playing there and running around a lot, so it makes it feel big, but in reality, the total area is pretty small. GW2 maps are simply larger. The total map is simply larger.

In GW1 you couldn't really run in a straight line across a map. Do it in Guild Wars 2 and you will realize just how big the maps are.

Heh. Yeah, well... I did.

I suggest others actually do too, preferrably with a watch, and if you can in several different MMO's to compare. Want to know how long it takes to cross Divinity's Reach from north to south or east to west, in a fairly straight line? About 2 minutes.

Now look at the worldmap, pick for example Queensdale. It's roughly 2 times the radius of DR from east to west.

Want to know how long it takes to cross Elwynn Forest from east to west, in as straight a line as possible? Something about 5-6 minutes.

There are many tests like that, in many games, that people can easily do themselves, if they can spare like 5-10 minutes or so. I think the area design done by the ANet people is spectacularly well done. But when it comes to purely size, GW2 zones are comparable with the average WoW zone. It's relatively easily verifiable too.
  • Ambros123Ambros123 Member Posts: 877

Umm no there didn't.  Your fallacy is like saying the Blizz lied in Vanilla where the malestorm, the Worgen land (forget the name) which was gated off until Cata, Mount Hyjaal, and that one zone on Azeroth over by the blasted lands or maybe that was the Ghoslands that all were closed off until whatever expansion included it.

guys~ c'mon~

It would be a discussion point if it were true, the fact is they didn't hide anything, or mislead anyone, or make people believe something that wasn't true about their title. Their map system is different from WoW's and Rift, they actually show you at top layer view the entire world of continents. The other two mmo's in question didnt do this. So naturally people's first response before thinking clearly is THEY LEFT OUT CONTENT! uhm no they didn't those areas have been designated as future expansion locations SINCE DAY ONE. 

Sheesh some people need to do some research. please.

• sammyelisammyeli Member Posts: 765

“The truth may be puzzling. It may take some work to grapple with. It may be counterintuitive. It may contradict deeply held prejudices. It may not be consonant with what we desperately want to be true. But our preferences do not determine what's true.”

Carl Sagan-

dragon age has same huge world map? but the fact in DAO they honest about it and only shows ferelden area, cos that's only playble area. but now they dont even use this map for daa or da2 :/ they just let this map go rot.

if they release gw 2 and have entire world of gw map on. that would disappointment me more. 

again, i still prefer idea of - show mw what i can play only, dont show me "promises" until it about to come true. release those map when its about to get release then i will be happy.

dragon age has same huge world map? but the fact in DAO they honest about it and only shows ferelden area, cos that's only playble area. but now they dont even use this map for daa or da2 :/ they just let this map go rot.

if they release gw 2 and have entire world of gw map on. that would disappointment me more. 

again, i still prefer idea of - show mw what i can play only, dont show me "promises" until it about to come true. release those map when its about to get release then i will be happy.

Did you play GW1? If you did then you already know the map. Hiding the map for people liek you makes no sense to people like me who already are familiar with the world we are playing in from years of playing GW1.  Quit while you are behind.

Originally posted by Ambros123

Umm no there didn't.  Your fallacy is like saying the Blizz lied in Vanilla where the malestorm, the Worgen land (forget the name) which was gated off until Cata, Mount Hyjaal, and that one zone on Azeroth over by the blasted lands or maybe that was the Ghoslands that all were closed off until whatever expansion included it.

well i havent play wow for long time, so i definitely miss some place, but if u check the quick map i did, mount hyjaal, AQ, Gilneas city, and ghostland were there in vanillae, but unaccessable. and out of those 4, mountain hjaal can be reached by climbing the mountain. and other u are just dunno is going on there, blue dot is just wtf at the time. 

of course, there's things like ferelas dragon portal, same as ashenvale, time carven at the time bla bla bla, they are in game, but i dont feel like they hide it away. at least they expose it, and let u imagine what's behind those walls. 

but in gw 2, they just there on maps, most of the time it's just behind mountaind and mountains, there's no visual link and leave u no room to imagine.  

but then again, we are comparing product at the different age. u probably dont agree with me at all with what i've said, like what i stated, this is just me. i am not saying wow is better, this isnt about wow anyway, i am just saying, mmo these days, are relasing games like this, with half open map, and claim other half content is for furture expansion, is very annoying. 

the fact is i felt this is unfinished, and this is lazy. when u wann release something, finishe them first. and release some future expanion with new land or something. 

and c'mon man, do u really believe the longer then time they spent to develope the game is equal to the quality of the game? look at d3. if u look at classic games, super mario, contra, ff, secret of mana, chrono trigger, half life, cs, doom, BG, uo, they dont need 5 years dev time? since when does voice acting, cinematic, gfx, physix took so huge part in the game?

sorry i do not play gw1. no shame of hiding it. u cant expect every customer need to do all these research to play a game tbh. 

u like ur game, i respect u. but do i really have to know everything about this game from the beginning? 

maybe i am really wrong, maybe if i do play gw1 i will know why world works, and the reason they release the map with half of them blocked. 

this thread already went on wrong focual point. and i dont wanna fight about it. 

• prpshrtprpshrt Member Posts: 258

It is not. The only reason it may feel that way is because one probably has a flying mount that makes them travel at 500% plus speed. If you actually walk, you'll notice how damn big the world is. Tyria is definitely big. Nowhere near as big is azeroth though. 

P.S. I dont play WoW and am speaking as a GW2 player.

Originally posted by Ambros123

well i havent play wow for long time, so i definitely miss some place, but if u check the quick map i did, mount hyjaal, AQ, Gilneas city, and ghostland were there in vanillae, but unaccessable. and out of those 4, mountain hjaal can be reached by climbing the mountain. and other u are just dunno is going on there, blue dot is just wtf at the time. 

of course, there's things like ferelas dragon portal, same as ashenvale, time carven at the time bla bla bla, they are in game, but i dont feel like they hide it away. at least they expose it, and let u imagine what's behind those walls. 

but in gw 2, they just there on maps, most of the time it's just behind mountaind and mountains, there's no visual link and leave u no room to imagine.  

but then again, we are comparing product at the different age. u probably dont agree with me at all with what i've said, like what i stated, this is just me. i am not saying wow is better, this isnt about wow anyway, i am just saying, mmo these days, are relasing games like this, with half open map, and claim other half content is for furture expansion, is very annoying. 

the fact is i felt this is unfinished, and this is lazy. when u wann release something, finishe them first. and release some future expanion with new land or something. 

and c'mon man, do u really believe the longer then time they spent to develope the game is equal to the quality of the game? look at d3. if u look at classic games, super mario, contra, ff, secret of mana, chrono trigger, half life, cs, doom, BG, uo, they dont need 5 years dev time? since when does voice acting, cinematic, gfx, physix took so huge part in the game?

You named a bunch of console games and Ultima Online and think this game took too long to develop? Seriously your dont have a clue. Luckily for us you will never be a game maker. We can all thank our deity of choice for that.

Your post here has shown nothing but a lack of understanding the reality on your part.

• prpshrtprpshrt Member Posts: 258
    Originally posted by sammyeli

Wish this were true. Not to sound like I'm calling you out but I would like to see a source! Not to prove anyone wrong but for my own sake so I can hope for more in game!

sorry i do not play gw1. no shame of hiding it. u cant expect every customer need to do all these research to play a game tbh. 

u like ur game, i respect u. but do i really have to know everything about this game from the beginning? 

maybe i am really wrong, maybe if i do play gw1 i will know why world works, and the reason they release the map with half of them blocked. 

this thread already went on wrong focual point. and i dont wanna fight about it. 

Yes you really do need to know from the beginning. If you did then you would understand why they are not hiding parts of the map. They are not lying to you.

No one is asking you to research, I know its asking a lot for todays consumer to know anything, but knowing that the world we play in was not invented for this game but carries over would tell you why the map is bigger than you can play. The FACT is the map and lands were established years ago, you cant just pretend they are not there when the lore of the game and the map are already well known to many besides you.