Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Some new player questions about DF: UW

CallsignVegaCallsignVega Member UncommonPosts: 288

GW2 PvP is a flop and too softcore, so here I am.

I remember beta testing the original Darkfall many years ago. One thing that instantly turned me off was the abysmal graphics and animations. I know gameplay trumps graphics, but you have to draw a line somewhere. Will the graphics and animations be substantially upgraded? Viewing recently uploaded DF 1.0 videos on Youtube, the graphics look like they are from 1999 and not 2009. 

More questions after watching said videos:

Why are people bouncing around slowly high in the air? Does this game take place on the Moon or something with low gravity? It look's completely silly. 

I know there is no player box or tab targetting. Is there any way to tell how much health your enemy has? Or basically do you just keep fighting them until they die with no clue on their current health?

How is death going to be handled in UW? I am sick of trivial death in virtually all modern MMORPG's. I much prefered the stiff death penalty in EQ1 PvP. In UW, can you just get back up quickly into the fight so that the zerg wins?

Where are the servers located? (I'm US). Is ping time really important in this game?

How do you tell friend from foe apart in large battles? Armor color or some other visual identifier? 

Are all skills line of sight? If I were to aim and shoot an arrow at an enemy and my ally runs in front of the arrow mid-way, does he get it? Do projectiles/spells pierce and go through multiple enemies?

Will there be any safe zones or instances in UW? I really dislike being able to hide. You should always be vulnerable if someone wants you dead enough. I'm all for having to sneak around guards etc to make it difficult to kill someone say in a city, but it should not be impossible with immersion breaking "safety flagging". 

Why are skill changes plastered right in front of your face? It's great that your dexterity has increased, but do you need that message spammed in gigantic font right where you are looking during a fight?

At high level, how long does it take to recooperate your stats such as health and mana?

How gear dependant is the game? Having full loot, I'd imagine loot is fairly east to come by? Are there such things as no-loot or no-drop items? Any items that are very hard to get and worth getting? Are dungeons worth doing? 

Are there any bosses or any resources worth PvP'ing and fighting over? I remember on Zek in EQ, some of the most fun fighting other players/guilds was controlling raids and bosses. You could be attacked at any time during the raid and there were no "safe zones". You actually had to have scouts etc.

Is there a /who feature or any tracking or way to tell if enemies are near you? That was one of the worst features of PvP in EQ as it alerted everyone to your presensce as everyone would routinely /who the zone.

Are there any loading or zone screens? If the game is truly zoneless like advertised, are there any issues with player culling and ghost army lagging? (IE you can be running along and instead of a normal player "clipping" in at say 500 metersm they can be right on top of you before your cleitn displays them). Especially in large fights and it's a massive problem in GW2.

Are there any "stealth" skills or anything that would reduce your visibility besides using natural cover?

I'm sure I'll have more questions, but this is a good start. Any way to try out DF 1.0 for free until UW launches?

Comments

• GwapoJoshGwapoJosh Member UncommonPosts: 1,030
    Simple answer.. Most is unknown at this time. There hasn't even been a gameplay video released yet and almost everything is changing in Unholy Wars.

"You are all going to poop yourselves." BillMurphy

"Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone."

• geckzillageckzilla Member Posts: 15

Geez, that's too many questions to answer all at once and most of them are unknown at this time. I'll just write what I know about the graphics.

The new screenshots do look a lot better at least as far as the lighting goes--which, really, was the main thing DF1 lacked. That is, it never had an adequate environment to go along with textures and models which were otherwise fine. The lighting was terrible, the sky was always blobby and always the wrong color, and there were no environmental sounds and all the animations were done by hand. They've said they've got tons of new sounds and have motion capture equipment for the animations. And as far as the lighting goes, the new screenshots speak for themselves. Hopefully DF will feel a lot nicer to exist in with these improvements. Fire dragon knows the rest of DF is harsh enough as it is.

• geckzillageckzilla Member Posts: 15

How do you tell friend from foe apart in large battles? Armor color or some other visual identifier? 

If it's the same as DF1, when you spot someone you have to put your crosshairs over the player and then a name appears. You just kind of naturally remember who is around you because of the need for situational awareness but afaik there's no tabards or armor colors (yet)

Are all skills line of sight? If I were to aim and shoot an arrow at an enemy and my ally runs in front of the arrow mid-way, does he get it? Do projectiles/spells pierce and go through multiple enemies?

Every last one is LoS. Yes, your ally gets hit (and it happens all the time) and there are very few spells that go through enemies and are able to hit multiple but in DF1 there were two rays which would hit people in a line straight line. Mostly they are splash damage based and the farther from the center the lower the damage is done (the worse your aim the less damage you do)

• KatlaOdindottirKatlaOdindottir Member Posts: 144

1. Graphics and textures are to be updated iirc

2. Some spells create these silly effects, most of which will be gone. Though some mages will be able to spec for some

3. They have a health bar you can visually see.

4. When you defeat someone they go to a downed state, gank them they go back to their bindstone. There is a downstate where if left alone long enough you will get back up.

5. No idea on the NA server location.

6. As it stands DF one people have party markers above their head, and if they are in your guild/allied they have different coloured names.

7. Not to sure on saftey zones but there will be 'Newbie protection' for x amount of time

8. Skills as it stands now are LoS, spells with AOE hit multiple targets.

9. At high level is not much faster than average/low level as ar as getting stats back up, more about knowing what you're doing.

10. Gear helps, but ultimately skill > gear Though an average player could compete with a better skilled player if he outgears them depending on the skillgap.

11. Yes there will be resources to fight over, and they're adding new land targets (similar to sea towers) the people holding these, villages are also linked into this somehow, though we're not sure yet as to how. And yes there are mobs you'll need groups to kill

12. No.

13. They hint at stealth skills for the skirmisher roles, waiting on more info!

14. DF1 is free atm, but you have to pay a sub to play it for a month.

www.daneslaw.com

@GamerKurisu

Awaiting Darkfall Unholy Wars

• DrokaFonDrokaFon Member Posts: 19
    Originally posted by CallsignVega

I remember beta testing the original Darkfall many years ago. One thing that instantly turned me off was the abysmal graphics and animations. I know gameplay trumps graphics, but you have to draw a line somewhere. Will the graphics and animations be substantially upgraded? Viewing recently uploaded DF 1.0 videos on Youtube, the graphics look like they are from 1999 and not 2009. 

Yes new graphics engine.

Why are people bouncing around slowly high in the air? Does this game take place on the Moon or something with low gravity? It look's completely silly. 

Spells. Knock up spells and AoE slow spells.

I know there is no player box or tab targetting. Is there any way to tell how much health your enemy has? Or basically do you just keep fighting them until they die with no clue on their current health?

Watch the videos more closely and you will see a red hp bar when you put your cross hair on the person.

How is death going to be handled in UW? I am sick of trivial death in virtually all modern MMORPG's. I much prefered the stiff death penalty in EQ1 PvP. In UW, can you just get back up quickly into the fight so that the zerg wins?

you have to regear and rebuff...Which takes time, also if you arent near a friendly city or bank it will take a long travel time to get back the the skirmish. 

Where are the servers located? (I'm US). Is ping time really important in this game?

dunno I live in us as well and never had a problem on DF 1

allies are green

Yes ,yes and no

Will there be any safe zones or instances in UW? I really dislike being able to hide. You should always be vulnerable if someone wants you dead enough. I'm all for having to sneak around guards etc to make it difficult to kill someone say in a city, but it should not be impossible with immersion breaking "safety flagging". 

No but yes to guards and towers

Why are skill changes plastered right in front of your face? It's great that your dexterity has increased, but do you need that message spammed in gigantic font right where you are looking during a fight?

I think you can move that txt in the ui

At high level, how long does it take to recooperate your stats such as health and mana?

Not long with healing spells.

How gear dependant is the game? Having full loot, I'd imagine loot is fairly east to come by? Are there such things as no-loot or no-drop items? Any items that are very hard to get and worth getting? Are dungeons worth doing? 

you need gear to fight but you aren't gear dependent

Are there any bosses or any resources worth PvP'ing and fighting over? I remember on Zek in EQ, some of the most fun fighting other players/guilds was controlling raids and bosses. You could be attacked at any time during the raid and there were no "safe zones". You actually had to have scouts etc.

yes a lot of pvp at pve spawns

Is there a /who feature or any tracking or way to tell if enemies are near you? That was one of the worst features of PvP in EQ as it alerted everyone to your presensce as everyone would routinely /who the zone.

no

Are there any loading or zone screens? If the game is truly zoneless like advertised, are there any issues with player culling and ghost army lagging? (IE you can be running along and instead of a normal player "clipping" in at say 500 metersm they can be right on top of you before your cleitn displays them). Especially in large fights and it's a massive problem in GW2.

no only logging in and dungeons 

Are there any "stealth" skills or anything that would reduce your visibility besides using natural cover?

no

I'm sure I'll have more questions, but this is a good start. Any way to try out DF 1.0 for free until UW launches?

all questions are answered with my DF 1 knowledge sorry for short responses I'm on my phone will update when I get home.

• TupssTupss Member Posts: 4

Graphics, animations and sound are improved.

Some spells effects cause this in DF1 but looks like they will reduce these effects on DFUW.

There is a health bar when you put the crosshair over the target.

When the target get to 0% HP he will go down on the floor unconsious, then he can be revived (takes 7 or so seconds) or ganked (takes 5 or so seconds) during 3 minutes or so. If revived then he will be consious again but with very low stats (5% hp). If ganked the corpse will become a lootable grave containing EVERYTHING that the player had on him and the player will respawn naked with 1% HP on the bindstone that he was bound (usually the city that the player lives, usually far away from the fight.).
    Also there is a small chance to decap the target, so he wont have a chance to get revived, its like a insta-gank.

So there is a lot of different strategys involved on this mechanic, few examples:
    - when a member of the group dies the group needs to protect his corpse and find a way to revive him, and its not a easy task because the enemy will find a way to gank. In sieges, if this member is a well known group leader someone will sacrifice himself to gank.
    - in a offensive siege you need to find a way to get closer spawn points (bindstones), you can use politics and ask a favor for someone that owns a city near your target.
    - when you revive someone you need to spend some time healing/rebuffing because the revived person will be very low stats
    - in a offensive siege you need to get control of the bindstone/bank of your target to prevent your enemy to keep coming back (they still will take some time to come back, because they will need to get items from the bank and heal)
    - etc...

US-1 server is located in Chicago. Ping is important if you wanna be the best player in the game, but its still viable to be competitive with high ping. For example i played on EU-1 server with 280 ping and on US-1 server with 200-220 ping for years in a competitive level. Im from Brazil.

Your party members will have a "P" above their heads and will appear on your minimap but a party can have only 10 members, so it wont solve your problems in large battles.
    Basic the friends are green and the enemys are red but you need to put your crosshair on the target to display his "color", so in large battles you need a lot of situational awareness.
    On your first sieges you will be completely lost haha but after some sieges you will know who is friendly or not analysing some aspects around, few examples:
    - your army arrived at the target from the East side, so probaly the most ppl on the east side are friendlys
    - a green guy is attacking someone, so probaly he is attacking a enemy, lets attack him too!
    - you see a group of 20 moving towards one direction, so identifying one guy will identify the entire group (probaly!)
    - analysing the predominant race/gear level on both armys helps a lot too

Its complex to explain, but you will know who is your friendly or not  :P

Yeah, you will hit everyone with your attacks, including yourself  :P
    Just a very few spells go through multiple enemys, but most spells have an area of effect, hitting more enemys(friends too!).

Starter citys have some protection but its not 100% safe. Nothing to do on starter citys after some time, i didnt visit a starter city on the last 2 years i think...

You can remove the text in the Options.

If you do it by yourself its take long enough to lose a fight, but with someone helping you its fast. Dont forget the Stamina...

Gear makes difference but wont win a fight for you. A high level player naked will kill a 1-week noob with the best gear in the game.
    Regular gear is easy to get, but high level gear + high level enchantments are very hard to get and rare to see someone risking it ..
    Everything drops.

Yes, a lot of things to fight over. Few examples:
    - player cities: each player city provide specific materials, so the cities that provides rare metals are more disputed.
    - high end monsters. Fire dragon for example, he spawns one time per day only.
    - player cities: some areas have better monsters/dungeons, so this cities are more disputed.
    - sea fortress: goes vulnerable each 10 days and gives a massive amount of resources, epic naval battles happens there.
    - villages
    - etc...

No.

No.

No.

• gravesworngravesworn Member Posts: 324
    Most of these quesstions have been a concern of the dfo community for years. The have tried to address many of these questions in the new game. What will make or break UW is whether or not they can keep the attention of non pvpers. The big issue I had with the first game was that after 6 months you had nothing left but pvpers and the wonderfully craftered world became barren and life less. If they manage to keep other types of players interested in the game then they will do great. If the game resorts back to nothing but pvpers with epeen issues then it will fall back in to the status of the original dfo. I want this game to succeed but time will tell.
  • CallsignVegaCallsignVega Member UncommonPosts: 288

Thanks for the feedback guys. Look's like I will definitely give it a try. I like how the only safe areas are the starter cities that no one goes to once you are not a noob anymore. That is one thing I liked about EQ1 PvP, there was zero safe zone Velious and before. I use to sneak into enemy cities past the guards and what not and kill people. Managing all the guard aggro and killing multiple people was so intense and fun. 

Hopefully this post will help out other UW prospects. 

• GaladournGaladourn Member RarePosts: 1,813

here's a demo of the new sound engine. It is kickass, beats any triple-A MMO to date.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5MrrD5cVno&list=UUeXzGHiwbo1U_7CLdHrAjKw&index=10&feature=plcp

• CallsignVegaCallsignVega Member UncommonPosts: 288
    Originally posted by Galadourn

here's a demo of the new sound engine. It is kickass, beats any triple-A MMO to date.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5MrrD5cVno&list=UUeXzGHiwbo1U_7CLdHrAjKw&index=10&feature=plcp

Ya, that does look pretty nice. The graphics look a little better in that video too. Do most people turn all of the graphics way down in PvP videos and that's why it looks so bad?

• gravesworngravesworn Member Posts: 324

here's a demo of the new sound engine. It is kickass, beats any triple-A MMO to date.   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5MrrD5cVno&list=UUeXzGHiwbo1U_7CLdHrAjKw&index=10&feature=plcp

Ya, that does look pretty nice. The graphics look a little better in that video too. Do most people turn all of the graphics way down in PvP videos and that's why it looks so bad?

For the most part yes, trust me, when you are at a siege of over 100 people with spells and arrows and whirlwinding twohanded swords. Turning down the graphics help. Lol. It really is a different experience than even wvwvw on gw2.
  • FusionFusion Member UncommonPosts: 1,398

Most definately yeah, people CURRENTLY have their GFX stuff toned to abyss because of big scale sieges, the game (even in it's current state can look pretty decent)

And btw, that is the "old" GFX engine, DF:UW is supposed to have a "new" engine (tho i believe it's improved version of that old engine), so everything amped to +++ it'll propably look pretty nice.

Back in 2010 i thought DF looked pretty damn nice (when i got everything amped up), but i came to realize i needed to tone shiz to minimum in order to be perceptive etc, i had 0 ambience 0 music, graphs all on low par draw distance, just to get an edge or equal setting when it came to gankers, hiders, "stealthers" brigands etc. whilst mining farming, i heard a rustle or a footstep, i ran like the bat outta hell! :D

Those are the some of the top reasons why all PVP/siege videos on tube look like shite, because people need to be on the "same level" and that being graphics toned to boogers = edge = what it is... same is with DayZ, tone down your shiz and people can't hide in the grass or bushes!

My best laughs from DayZ are from people trying to prone in the grass when i've shot their friend, thinking "he can't see me in this tall grass" - when the brutal fact is, i see no grass, i see a green plateau with a dark lump in it, crawling forward.

In a multiplayer game where audio/visual perception is a key and "hiding in plain sight" is a key to victory, they need to stop making the options so freely chooseable for the sake of bad computers and make the plane equal to the gamers.

DF did right with making bushes, rocks, trees and stuff not clip, allowing players to hide behind them, even tho you could disable all shadows and grass, you could still "hide in plain sight" - most of the times. This is where sound became the "win all" like back in 'good ole counter strike"

http://neocron-game.com/ - now totally F2P no cash-shops or micro transactions at all.