Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Trent Oster Thinks Fans Negativity and EA Drove Muzyka and Zeschuk from Bioware

1234568»

Comments

• JoeyMMOJoeyMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
    It's hard to find fault in the article. It's quite obvious, and it has been obvious for quite some time, that SWTOR wasn't going to be able to deliver what it was supposed to. Though "fan negativity", to me, translates more as player refusing to further pay the subscription. The fan negativity wouldn't have been the deciding factor had 4M players still been paying the sub. It's the cold hard numbers, not the "fan negativity" unless you read it as "massive fan negativity and nearly all of them hitting EA where it hurts by closing their wallet".

imageimage
  • Joseph_KerrJoseph_Kerr Member RarePosts: 1,113
    It seems pretty simple they offered a watered-down and generic version of a product that the fans have an unrealistic expectation of to begin with, how many outcomes could there possibly be?
  • AeolronAeolron Member Posts: 648
    Originally posted by superniceguy
    Originally posted by Sevenstar61
    We got new operation few days ago and new warzone in coming. Makeb is coming. So we getting new stuff.

That should have been in months ago, with 1.2, they are just spreading content out to keep players playing, as can not afford to create new stuff now

Also all that content is what you have to pay for. Me personally am not interested in Operation and Warzones, it is just more of the same.

So... the only game which has to have unlimited content or be hated is SWTOR. Show me any game that released within one year that does not have problem with content after 9 months after release.

People burn through content and get bored. Normal in every MMO. Play other game until content arrives. Simple as that.

There has not been any real new content to SWTOR since 1.1 until 1.4. Makeb was already done beforehand. What do you think took them all these years to do. They said when the game created they had about 2 years worth of content already done, ready to implement to feed the masses.

Their plan was to add Operations / Flashpoints / Warzones with each new update. They have been vacant in 1.2 and 1.3

The main problem though is the game is just not expanding. What you see is what you get.

LOTRO had no housing, skirmishes etc to start with, that got added later, expanding the game

SWG had no vehicles, space, player cities, chronicles system, Heroics etc when it got released, it got added later expanding the game

STO had no ability to see your insides of your ship to begin with, at first it was your bridge, then the rest of the ship, then they added Duty Officers you could see in your ship and interact with.

If this was SWTOR, none of those MMOs would have gotten all those features, just the content / more story.

What would be good in SWTOR would be for them to make your ship like a house so you could put stuff in it, and operate a shop, or maybe a story creator or maybe a Beast master profession, but that is not going to happen, because the game can not be expanded upon

Dead wrong there my friend , when SWG launched it had , Player cities , player housing , mounts ( Come on no mounts in a sandboxworld?? What you smoking?) , if your going to compare one game with another you might want to try and research it if you never played it ,and clearly thats the case here.

• ZigZagsZigZags Member UncommonPosts: 381
    EA is the devil.

Dragnon - Guildmaster - Albion Central Bank in Albion Online

www.albioncentralbank.enjin.com

• UkiahUkiah Member Posts: 273
    Originally posted by SuperDonk

..And the more and more I communicate, the more it becomes evidant that people still blame BioWare for everything. (BioWare was sold in 2007 and ceased to exist, only by name)

And now you're confusing me. Did EA fire every single dev who worked for Bioware before the purchase? Did the doctors have zero say in the developement of SWTOR? Please enlighten me.

I have to agree with him here because of the fact that so many of the developers responsible for the mess that was Warhammer Online were brought over to work on SWTOR (Gabe Amantangelo being the highest profile) where they subsequently "re-invented the fail" by pushing the same pvp philosophy that wasn't successful in Warhammer on SWTOR's design.

I won't disagree with the generally accepted position of "EA are evil corporate overlords" but a great deal of SWTOR's lack of success can fairly and squarely placed at the feet of BioWare, from average code jockey to senior lead designer to project manager to the good Dr's themselves.

• Pongo_Pongo_ Member UncommonPosts: 38
    Originally posted by Aeolron
    We got new operation few days ago and new warzone in coming. Makeb is coming. So we getting new stuff.

That should have been in months ago, with 1.2, they are just spreading content out to keep players playing, as can not afford to create new stuff now

Also all that content is what you have to pay for. Me personally am not interested in Operation and Warzones, it is just more of the same.

So... the only game which has to have unlimited content or be hated is SWTOR. Show me any game that released within one year that does not have problem with content after 9 months after release.

People burn through content and get bored. Normal in every MMO. Play other game until content arrives. Simple as that.

There has not been any real new content to SWTOR since 1.1 until 1.4. Makeb was already done beforehand. What do you think took them all these years to do. They said when the game created they had about 2 years worth of content already done, ready to implement to feed the masses.

Their plan was to add Operations / Flashpoints / Warzones with each new update. They have been vacant in 1.2 and 1.3

The main problem though is the game is just not expanding. What you see is what you get.

LOTRO had no housing, skirmishes etc to start with, that got added later, expanding the game

SWG had no vehicles, space, player cities, chronicles system, Heroics etc when it got released, it got added later expanding the game

STO had no ability to see your insides of your ship to begin with, at first it was your bridge, then the rest of the ship, then they added Duty Officers you could see in your ship and interact with.

If this was SWTOR, none of those MMOs would have gotten all those features, just the content / more story.

What would be good in SWTOR would be for them to make your ship like a house so you could put stuff in it, and operate a shop, or maybe a story creator or maybe a Beast master profession, but that is not going to happen, because the game can not be expanded upon

Dead wrong there my friend , when SWG launched it had , Player cities , player housing , mounts ( Come on no mounts in a sandboxworld?? What you smoking?) , if your going to compare one game with another you might want to try and research it if you never played it ,and clearly thats the case here.

I think you are mistaken.  when i started SWG, a week after launch, the only one of those it has was housing.  that took a while for people to get resources to make. 

When mounts were added it was crazy, people on bol's and dewback's everywhere.  i got a hand-me-down kaadu

When player cities was added our guild leader waited for server up so he could run out to place a city hall before planetary cap.

maybe i just remember SWG differently

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278
    Originally posted by Pongo_
    Originally posted by Aeolron

I think you are mistaken.  when i started SWG, a week after launch, the only one of those it has was housing.  that took a while for people to get resources to make. 

When mounts were added it was crazy, people on bol's and dewback's everywhere.  i got a hand-me-down kaadu

When player cities was added our guild leader waited for server up so he could run out to place a city hall before planetary cap.

maybe i just remember SWG differently

We are right.

It had player housing (but I did not say it did not have that), but it did not have player cities. Creature Mounts were not in game either at start, but came in later, followed by vehicles.

• smh_alotsmh_alot Member Posts: 976
    Meh, never mind, I mistook 1 person's quote for another person's -_-
  • Crazy_StickCrazy_Stick Member Posts: 1,059

You can't blame the fans for the product you put out. People didn't love the game. It's as simple as that.  I can't blame fans as we all went in expecting an MMORPG and got some sort of bland single player RPG story with a few moments broken up with intense bouts of grind and co-op features instead. It became like a mediocre book. You read it once for entertainment out of the good parts and then put it on your shelf or delete it from your e-reader. It's as if developers have forgotten that an MMORPG is measured by longevity of play and options for investment more than any other gaming genre and can't understand why we people tank ithe game in the end .

So it hurt them on a personal level and EA IS the worst company in America? I can't blame them for washing their hands of it all. But its not "our" fault. The company and its leadership dug their own holes.

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903

Link

http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2012/09/28/trent-oster-thinks-fans-negativity-and-ea-drove-muzyka-and-zeschuk-from-bioware/

I would say I am not surprised that they would want to quit because of fan negativity. SWTOR "fans" venom could kill every body.

Grand Promises + lackluster MMO = disappointed fans

disappointed fans = fan negativity

fan negativity = totally justified and expected

totally justified and expected = stress for people in charge of lackluster MMO

If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen. 

Have the doctors even admitted their own mistakes in the final product that was SWTOR?