Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Insta-travel

Some interesting discussions have come up in threads about local/regional/global banking. Related to keeping your stuff and moving, is the issues of travel -- for example, the desireability of insta-travel, modifiying travel options along with banking changes to create the need for caravans, etc.

Since I didn't see it in the "What we know about DFUW" thread OP, what do we know about AV's thinking on travel for DFUW?

What are your thoughts on the best travel options (with regard to the banking issue, as well as the rest of the game)? What are the pros and cons of insta-travel?

Comments

• reacaerreacaer Member Posts: 18

It all depends on how high the population of the server will be.

If its going to be as high as DF1 launch or better istant travel could be happyfully removed from the game: you would be busy fighting your neighbours and wouldnt mind about a war roaring on the other side of the map.

No instant-travel and regional banking would be great. Carovans and trades would gain more depth and risk.

This would require a really high populated server tho! The action should be available for anyone looking for it in a reasonable ammount of time - not talking about an istant respawn deathmatch, but not even a game where you have to travel half an hour to find a fight.

With DF:UW "private" instant travel will be removed big allies wont be able to build networks on their own and everyone will have access to the same teleportation services. Its a good thing, it wont matter if you're in a big or a small guild you still can move. The teleportation areas will be PvP hotspots and strategic points and opefully there wont be many of them (one for each island, maybe 3 for the main land..?).

Maybe they could open these portals only at certain hours for a brief ammount of time or something to make things more interesting..

• xpiherxpiher Member UncommonPosts: 3,310
    AV should have kept their dungeon portal system. The original concept was to have dungons be an "express travel network" while also allowing dungone crawling. The risk for travel is kept because you could potentially die while in the dungeon, but the benifit of saving time and not being in the open world would make it worth it to many. However, since the dungeons aren't instanced and various routes would be popular, people would end up camping them. Thus, the Risk/Reward for this is maintain. 

Games:
    Currently playing:Nothing
    Will play: Darkfall: Unholy Wars
    Past games:
    Guild Wars 2 - Xpiher Duminous
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Darkfall - Xpiher Duminous (NA) retired
    AoC - Xpiher (Tyranny) retired
    Warhammer - Xpiher

• MurdusMurdus Member UncommonPosts: 698

I think as was stated that it really depends on the population of the game. In a highly populated server it would be awesome to have local banking and very few teleportation options. Realistically however it won't probably be like that, and I would prefer it to be global banking.

In terms of teleportation I think no matter the instance it should very limited. Porting all over the map has its obvious advantages in terms of seeing a lot of action in one sitting, which is probably the goal for a lot of people that will be playing this game, Darkfall veterans and newcomers.

Personally I would like to see it be non-existent and make the world feel very large and open.

It doesn't matter what I really have to say however, since Aventurine is going to make this game as they please. I just hope that it's populated enough for a local banking/no tele system to work, if that's their gameplan at all.

• gravesworngravesworn Member Posts: 324
    Teleporting in df 1 requires portal shards and certain amount of control or alliance over the destination portal. The portal system as is in DF is still not an end all be all of travel. If there was a cap on how many clans or guilds you could ally with at once, it might make it more difficult for zerg hopping....i dunno. Just pondering.
  • sunny_liftonsunny_lifton Member Posts: 23
    I think the portals between holdings was junk...it allowed big clans to have access to the whole world without traveling.  It also meant that 6 of their 7 holdings were completely empty and smaller clans that could actually populate the holding (and defend against pvp) could not gain control of it.
  • TopherpunchTopherpunch Member UncommonPosts: 86

Like I have heard so many times, the makers are huge UO fans. I am sure they could implement a travel system with runes and just give the spell a cooldown. That way you could get anywhere as long as you had been there before and you had a rune to bring you back there.

Not only that, after some time the travel system would grow because the floating number of runes around the server from other players. Just a thought. I always thought UO had a really good travel system.

Come check out what I have to say on my blog http://civilgamer.com

Also check out http;//agonasylum.com for Darkfall player trading and stories forums

• gravesworngravesworn Member Posts: 324
    Not having quick travel would work if the population was large enough for regioan wars, or for caravans and supply routes were viable forms of play styles. However as the population drastically decreased in the first game, it became more of a hassle to hoove it.
  • ChaosChestChaosChest Member UncommonPosts: 97
    Originally posted by Topherpunch

Like I have heard so many times, the makers are huge UO fans. I am sure they could implement a travel system with runes and just give the spell a cooldown. That way you could get anywhere as long as you had been there before and you had a rune to bring you back there.

Not only that, after some time the travel system would grow because the floating number of runes around the server from other players. Just a thought. I always thought UO had a really good travel system.

They already have a rune system in the game.  And it works exactly how it workd in UO.. except.. you cannot craft runes, you cannot buy runes from npcs.. You can only loot them from mobs.. AND they are only 1 use per rune then they disappear from the game.

It also takes about 4 minutes to mark a rune in a location.. While this is ok if your marking inside of an enemys holding.. because it gives the enemy time to counter and attack you .. it is VERY annoying and waste of time if you want to mark some runes anywhere else. 4minutes of doing nothing x how many runes you want to mark.  isnt "fun" to anyone.

Also they would need to increase the amount of times each rune can be recalled to. right now it is  1 time. A simple change to 4times would do wonders to the annoying travel that is involved in darkfall.

Most people horde all blank runes and use them for siegeing.. because traveling is so time consuming and isnt fun. especially when you travel on the land and see miles of NOTHIGNNESS, no mobs, no players, nothing. just empty worthless space.

Insta travel is fine. it just needs to be tweaked.