Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OMG...The Secret World is half-price this weekend...I'm conflicted

2»

Comments

• DrolkinDrolkin Member UncommonPosts: 246

TSW isn't going f2p anytime soon, maybe 2-3 years down the road, so play it now or never, 2-3 years something better will be out by then.

Also 3 days is not near enough time to experience what the game is about.  90% of the trash talkers couldn't even tell you how to beat Hell Eternal NM because they haven't even beaten it on Elite. ;)

But you can keep pretending it'll be F2P soon, it's cute how hard people who've never played the game trash it to make themselves feel secure in their game of choice.

Gonna go back to rolling Templars now in my 10.4 gear, buh-bye.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by jayfeeler69

My lifetime account states Im in the right forum. Im sorry your beloved best game is actually far from anything difficult or innovative.

actually it's not my "best game" I don't even play this game anymore but still feel it's a good game overall and well worth $30 for people interested

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• BadLuckBrettBadLuckBrett Member Posts: 22
    Originally posted by BadLuckBrett

Um if the game was hard you are a bad player. The game is completely easy mode from start to finish

First day troll account looking for some feed, how cute.

If you know of an MMO that features more cerebral quests please share, I'm genuinely interested.

[mod edit]

So in other words, you have no idea. Got it, cheif.

Keep on truckin'. Over and out.

• SuprGamerXSuprGamerX Member Posts: 531
      GW2 is ok , TL2 is simply AWESOME , and TsW???  WTF???   It's a bad mcdonalds trio. :P    TsW is like the diet coke when ordering your fast food , it makes no sense at all. 
    Originally posted by SuprGamerX
      GW2 is ok , TL2 is simply AWESOME , and TsW???  WTF???   It's a bad mcdonalds trio. :P    TsW is like the diet coke when ordering your fast food , it makes no sense at all. 

TL2 is "boring" imho not worth the $20 i spent on it(but mainly pre-ordered for NWN beta access).. TSW on the other hand I feel is worth $30 easy.. after a month though i dunno  i don't feel its worth the sub fee for me but defintely worth playing through at least all the zones once and the dungeons.

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    Originally posted by Mardukk
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    Originally posted by eddieg50

Um if the game was hard you are a bad player. The game is completely easy mode from start to finish

LOL  are you joking, compared to wow or eq2 the game has some challenge to it for the better

yea especially once you hit blue mountain difficulty ramps up a lot even in QL8 was getting rocked at parts of blue mountain.. where's icewhite at ? I liked the quote went something like "always amazes me how people feel the need to come to gaming forums and proclaim how elite they are"..  or something like that:)

Um no its not tough then. BM is only hard if you are clueless as to how to build. If you dont build a NM build from the gate the game will be hard because only a couple specs that are cookie cutter are any good.

was using these builds http://wordpress.tswguides.com/tsw-build-page/ scroll down a little to the blue mountain specials builds... game is more difficult than most other standard themeparks imho

Seriously again Ill state irt, you are bad at the game if you need a special spec fpr blue mountain. Game is actually easier than most themeparks as everything is soloable

So you made up your l33t build yourself right?  

I was the first glance tank from beta on, you can thank me for that build

Why did you play it so much if it was so horrible?  Hell, it was so bad that you've felt the need to litter these forums with 17+ posts in one day about it.  

• VahidVahid Member UncommonPosts: 55
    This game is definately worth the half price cost and the thirty days of game time you will get, especially if you are looking for something a little different (not fantasy) with some interesting quests.
  • jayfeeler69jayfeeler69 Member Posts: 94

I could claim you are trolling since yours is a minority opinion

sure you solved all those investigation quests with not a lick of help and had no issues at all.. again I'm in awe of your MMOawsomeness.... i have seen more complaints about hard encounters and hard quests in this MMO than almost any other released in quite awhile not saying they are head smash against the wall hard but surely a step above your average themepark

Lovely how you deflect the argument to my playstyle. If you havent anything to back up your points other than slamming my ability then you sir have lost this argument.

• GR3NDELGR3NDEL Member UncommonPosts: 112

To the OP - go for it.  It won't hurt, and even if you decide that TSW isn't your style, you still get 30 days of free play out of the deal... and if you get TSW before it goes F2P, then rest assured you'll have full access to the game.... unlike all the 'I'm gonna wait until it goes F2P' only to find how restricted their 'F2P' access is.... when TSW goes F2P.

Which, according to all the game experts posting repeatedly on this forum, it will.  Totally.  Without a doubt.

Soon.TM 

• YakamomotoYakamomoto Member Posts: 363
    How cute the GW2 fanboys hijack this topic and spread the info the game would be "F2P" soon.

Stop lying, stop TROLLING and go feed the cows in GW2

[mod edit]

[mod edit]

Lovely how you deflect the argument to my playstyle. If you havent anything to back up your points other than slamming my ability then you sir have lost this argument.

"Game is actually easier than most themeparks as everything is soloable"

Your words not mine:)

• jayfeeler69jayfeeler69 Member Posts: 94

[mod edit]

[mod edit]

"Game is actually easier than most themeparks as everything is soloable"

Your words not mine:)

So your saying the game is not soloable? You can go from Solomon to transylvania with one build and solo it all, I and many others do it. Hell, game is so easy peeps go from solomon to tran in 12 hours on a fresh toon.

• solarinesolarine Member Posts: 1,203
    Originally posted by SuperXero89

How much is the game half off?  30 dollars?  I don't know if it's worth that.  I enjoyed the beta weekends and bought it at full price, yet when I played the game at launch, I played it for like 2 days then never touched it again.  I just lost all will to play -- not really sure why.

I think Torchlight II will be the better investment.  

not me... got bored of TL2 after one night.. just to typical dungeon crawler to me.. but i don't see the appeal in dungeon crawlers anymore I think as i have yet to find one that was fun for me for more than a few hours since titans quest... at least TSW you get a interesting story and good spookey settings to play in.. differn't strokes..

Fully agree there.

Torchlight II, I lasted something like... 4 hours? Even though I actually had finished Diablo III (back when in launched) in the normal setting to see the end of the story, I admit I've found ARPGs less and less appealing over the years. 

Now, TSW. Yeah, if you're one that gives importance to setting, atmosphere, story and characters... The game is worth the box price in my opinion, even for the first three zones.

• DeivosDeivos Member EpicPosts: 3,692
    Originally posted by Mardukk

Hahaha!  Gee I hope Torchlight 2 has 100% more depth/challenge than the first one, what a bore.  I'm having difficulty finding any positive qualities with Torchlight or Diablo....after playing MMO's how the hell can you spend money on those shallow simple type games?

OP, I would finish with GW2 and snag TSW during the next sale they have on it.  Why sub when you are playing GW2?  They are sure to have another sale soon on TSW.

Honestly for me it's not about the core game. At this point I'm pretty certain I'm not that fond of ARPG or hack and slash type games as a base. The gameplay tends to be too transparent mechanically to me.

The reason I say Torchlight 2 is entirely to do with moddability. Same reason I would advocate Skyrim, it's not because of the core game, but what a savvy user can do with the game's assets. Build it out, try a different form of gameplay within the world, introduce your own elements or mechanics to it, etc.

It's really a stance solidly based on personal preference. I like ot understand things. I like to dissect them and know how they operate, what makes them tick. It's very enjoyable when a platform lets me place more of my owh ideas onto it as well.

For example. right now the official toolkit isn't out yet, but people have been merrily chipping away at making tools to rip assets to see how they were made. This in turn lets us not only modify assets, but gives us insigh into how to construct our own and plan ahead on what we want to implement.

Or to recant a mod from the original torchlight you call a bore, where someone modified movement and camera controls to give a first/third person control. It was glitchy and there were things just not meant to be looked at from that perspective, but it was an interesting way to take the core game and give a new feel to it.

Like I personally want to see if I can integrate some RTS elements into the game. A class with a different control scheme essentially from the usuals. Not like a pet master, but a much more true RTS situation. Staking out small camp locations and creating particular types of creatures and base components to gather resources implemented to in turn manufacture simple war machines to act as your offensive arm.

It's not just about what the developers hand to you in the box, it's what you can do with it. 

I guess in summary the answer of why one might have appeal to these titles then is sandbox gameplay.

EDIT: I should add that I guess with this I can see where people have issue with such a game. If you are simply taking it for what it is, it will be a somewhat simple romp through a quick campaign. The people that enjoy the title end up being split into two camps. Those fond of the arpg gameplay, and those fond of game systems.

If you aren't a fan of the arpg style of play then you are probably going to weather on the title quickly.

If you aren't a fan of tinkering with games from a more technical perspective, then you probably won't find much depth.

So all in all it rather depends on what you are as a gamer as that will dictate if your preferences are catered to.

"The knowledge of the theory of logic has no tendency whatever to make men good reasoners." - Thomas B. Macaulay

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin

• fallenlordsfallenlords Member UncommonPosts: 683
    Don't see how this is worth it at all.  If you don't sub, the game expires after 30 days so then you have spent your money on what exactly?  Be different if it was 30 days of actual real game time.  All it takes is real life to get in the way and you have just wasted your money.   It's worth it if you plan to sub, but then why would you sub to a game that is going free to play?  I would see what is on offer on steam etc and buy a game that doesn't expire in 30 days.
  • Requiem1066Requiem1066 Member Posts: 274

At half price even if the OP only plays for the " free " 30days then he will have his money's worth Imo

Originally posted by Requiem1066

At half price even if the OP only plays for the " free " 30days then he will have his money's worth Imo

Well that in itself is debatable, depends on what you consider value for money.  Paying that to only be able to play a game for 30 days and just be left with something that doesn't work ever again unless you sub or it goes free to play.  Seems an odd judgment to my mind.  Would you buy Resident Evil 6 if it was half price and expired in 30 days? I doubt it.  Just because this is an MMO I don't see you have much extra added value to the game.  I mean we are talking about a game that is struggling for players, so half price and welcome to an empty game world isn't that much of a deal.

• Requiem1066Requiem1066 Member Posts: 274
    Originally posted by fallenlords

Well that in itself is debatable, depends on what you consider value for money.  Paying that to only be able to play a game for 30 days and just be left with something that doesn't work ever again unless you sub or it goes free to play.  Seems an odd judgment to my mind.  Would you buy Resident Evil 6 if it was half price and expired in 30 days? I doubt it.  Just because this is an MMO I don't see you have much extra added value to the game.  I mean we are talking about a game that is struggling for players, so half price and welcome to an empty game world isn't that much of a deal.

I see your point ... but to me it's no different than buying a BTP game and getting bored with it within 2 -4 weeks ... and I'm sure we have all bought games ( Resi 6 included ) and not played them for more than 30 days if that :p

It all boils down to if the OP believes he will get his money's worth and enjoyment from the price tag ... If he does then he should buy it and not worry about a sub fee for 30 days and deal with that when it happens. If he doesn't then he should not buy it..

It all boils down to if the OP believes he will get his money's worth and enjoyment from the price tag ... If he does then he should buy it and not worry about a sub fee for 30 days and deal with that when it happens. If he doesn't then he should not buy it..

Well the OP stated they had played a free weekend and enjoyed the game.  So based on that evidence it should be value for money.  But at the same time it doesn't sound like the OP has that much overall free time. Picking something up for half price that has no time constraints is a good idea, but in this instance the OP has to by the sounds of it make time for the game. In this instance I would say wait and see what happens, if the 50% sale is successful I am sure it will happen again.  If it isn't the game might be drawing nearer to free to play anyway.

• eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809
    Originally posted by fallenlords

Well the OP stated they had played a free weekend and enjoyed the game.  So based on that evidence it should be value for money.  But at the same time it doesn't sound like the OP has that much overall free time. Picking something up for half price that has no time constraints is a good idea, but in this instance the OP has to by the sounds of it make time for the game. In this instance I would say wait and see what happens, if the 50% sale is successful I am sure it will happen again.  If it isn't the game might be drawing nearer to free to play anyway.

At 24.99 it is a good deal, and OMG what if he actulally likes it! He can sub month by month or save a bit and go 3 mo, If they announce they are going F2P it will not happen immediately

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465

How soon until it is 100% off is the better question.

And they playerbase is currently 80% off?

That's a heavy "discount".

• SevenwindSevenwind Member UncommonPosts: 2,188
    Originally posted by Burntvet

How soon until it is 100% off is the better question.

And they playerbase is currently 80% off?

That's a heavy "discount".

A damn good deal for 30 days of play. I enjoyed Tera when it went on sale for this price for two months. Play what you love.

.. .... .- - . - .-. --- .-.. .-.. ... .-- .... --- .-. . .--. --- .-. - .-.-.-

--------------------------------------------------------
    Promote what you love instead of bashing what you hate.

• PainlezzPainlezz Member UncommonPosts: 646

I guess I would have a few comments:

1) If you can really only afford a single 50 dollar game it might be good time to find a job / better job?  If you're a young kid, you can get a job (I was working in an office as a scan-operator for court reporting agency at 14-15).  If you're an adult...  50 dollars should be nothing ;)

2)  The free weekends aren't the full picture.  I purchased this game, played till the 2nd area, got really tired of it.  The entire game is centered around grinding out more skill points...

3)  PvP reminds me a lot of CS (Counter Strike) in the early days.  If you find the right "weapon" you'll destroy almost everyone.  In the short time I played I already saw some select builds just destroying people.  Fortunately PvP is a very small part of this game it seems so not much to worry about on that.

Basically playing the game for a short 1-2 day period is probably going to be a lot more fun than actually doing it on a daily basis for a week+