Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

And I'm a fanboi...

2»

Comments

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by Randayn

I openly admit to being a TSW and Funcom Fanboi...you won't stop me either.  Ill dispute everything someone says :P

You can do the same with GW2...nothing wrong with that at all...it's your life...not me or anyone else can tell you it's wrong...

But, when I come on here and try to point out a few things I see wrong with GW2 and you dispute it as being ridiculous....don't be surprised if I label you a fanboi....you can do the same with me on TSW forums...I won't take any offense, because I know it's true and because Im the most insensitve person on Earth....don't care what anyone says about me.

In the end, the forums are for gamers who want to talk to other games but never can...whether it be in agreement, for advice or in disagreement, we should always love the fact that forums exhist to allow us to do this.

I feel for the sandbox crowd....they get the shaft pretty hardcore, but I think the sandbox crowd has to realize that there isn't a market for sandbox games (big market) or else a AAA company would put the effort in to make one....it would be stupid of them not too...

market for sandbox is there.. think it's more that sandbox games are probably a lot more difficult to implement overall...when you have all(or almost all) dev created content it's easy(well easier) to control things.. with a game that has more focus on player created content it's much harder to put systems in place for this to work well and not cause many more problems. Saying that i do feel sandbox type games will be getting more and more popular in the future.

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by QuicklyScott

I guess you're content with forums being a cesspool of childish discussion?

Also I don't know why people say there isn't a big market for sanboxes.  Runescape which is sandboxy has over 100 million accounts created,10 million peak players, EVE has 500,000 subs, hardly small.  You think Mortal Online or Darkfall, or any extremely low budget MMO would have even 100 players if they were themeparks, the whole polava with them  revolved around them being sandboxes.  You think Minecraft would have been successful if you couldn't change or build anything and you played a pre-determined level made by Notch?

You're right. it is stupid for them not to.  Companies are stupid.  The moutains of unsuccessful WoW esque games are evidence of that.

Sandboxy? Yeah, I heard that word a lot.

Eve online do not have 500K subs unless they have gotten 140K players in a few months. http://nosygamer.blogspot.se/2012/05/eve-onlines-tranquility-subscription.html

I will not say there isnt a big market for sandboxes or hybrids, well made game sell well. If Mortal online had as talented crew as GW2 (or Eve for that matter) it would have plenty more players by now.

But the whole sandbox word is overused. True sandboxes are like Minecraft, they have mostly player created content, the mechanics are made to allow players to create the content themselves, like kids in a sandbox. Games like Skyrim really isnt that sandboxy if you think about it. 

People want well made fun games, most dont care if they are sandboxes, themeparks or something else.

• RandaynRandayn Member UncommonPosts: 904
    Originally posted by QuicklyScott
    Originally posted by Randayn

I openly admit to being a TSW and Funcom Fanboi...you won't stop me either.  Ill dispute everything someone says :P

You can do the same with GW2...nothing wrong with that at all...it's your life...not me or anyone else can tell you it's wrong...

But, when I come on here and try to point out a few things I see wrong with GW2 and you dispute it as being ridiculous....don't be surprised if I label you a fanboi....you can do the same with me on TSW forums...I won't take any offense, because I know it's true and because Im the most insensitve person on Earth....don't care what anyone says about me.

In the end, the forums are for gamers who want to talk to other games but never can...whether it be in agreement, for advice or in disagreement, we should always love the fact that forums exhist to allow us to do this.

I feel for the sandbox crowd....they get the shaft pretty hardcore, but I think the sandbox crowd has to realize that there isn't a market for sandbox games (big market) or else a AAA company would put the effort in to make one....it would be stupid of them not too...

I guess you're content with forums being a cesspool of childish discussion?

Also I don't know why people say there isn't a big market for sanboxes.  Runescape which is sandboxy has over 100 million accounts created,10 million peak players, EVE has 500,000 subs, hardly small.  You think Mortal Online or Darkfall, or any extremely low budget MMO would have even 100 players if they were themeparks, the whole polava with them  revolved around them being sandboxes.  You think Minecraft would have been successful if you couldn't change or build anything and you played a pre-determined level made by Notch?

You're right. it is stupid for them not to.  Companies are stupid.  The moutains of unsuccessful WoW esque games are evidence of that.

take the good with the bad man...the beauty of a forum is, you can ignore anyone you want.

Runescape I'll never understand....I know it's WILDLY popular, but I just dont understand how.  Eve Online, I think, is an anomoly...you'll never get a game that great, of that genre, ever again.  

As for Mortal and DF, I would actually be playing DF everyday if it weren't for the full loot rule...it's just a really bad rule.  Shouldn't exhist in any game.  Do you realize how many more people would play DF if it didn't have that rule?  ALOT...they'd make quite a bit more money doing it.

Mortal appears to be not all that popular...I wonder what the pop count is on that game.

It could very well be that developers are blindly making themeparks without actually doing the market research to realize that a true sandbox could really break the mold in the MMO world.  I think it could, but I'm still hesitant to think that MMO Devs are that stupid to not see a cash cow standing right in front of them.

• Angier2758Angier2758 Member UncommonPosts: 1,026

Hmmm well I'm not a fanboy exactly...

I want to see games succeed otherwise the genre dies.  It feels like as a community the mmorpg players are extremely negative to the point that they ignore anything positive.

As of right now GW2 seems to be doing VERY well considering it's biggest competition just launched its xpac and more servers are full post than pre.

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Originally posted by TheIronLegion
    I genuinely and thoroughly enjoy a game and plan to play it for years to come

I always chuckle when I see someone write this. I have played a couple mmos for years. SWG for nearly a decade. But I never set out to do so. I never said to myself, "I am going to play this game for years to come." Especially only after a month. I think people set themselves up for disappointment when they have these types of expectations. Just play and see how it goes. Game may change. You may change. When people make these declarations, it seems more like they are trying to convince themselves of something that may not be there.

• TheIronLegionTheIronLegion Member Posts: 269
    Originally posted by Foomerang

Originally posted by TheIronLegion
    I genuinely and thoroughly enjoy a game and plan to play it for years to come

I always chuckle when I see someone write this. I have played a couple mmos for years. SWG for nearly a decade. But I never set out to do so. I never said to myself, "I am going to play this game for years to come." Especially only after a month. I think people set themselves up for disappointment when they have these types of expectations. Just play and see how it goes. Game may change. You may change. When people make these declarations, it seems more like they are trying to convince themselves of something that may not be there.

I went into GW1 thinking the same thing; played it from release up until GW2 launched. Said the same thing about Aion played it for about 2 years. Said the same thing for Eve and have played it off and on over the past decade. As you can see, I have the mindset and I stick to it. If I like something I will always like it...up until they royally screw something up.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Since I've listed several flaws I think reside in GW2, I guess I'm not a "fanboi", according to the definition being thrown around now.  Well it was nice being in the club while it lasted.  I'll miss the finger food and punch...  lol
  • evolver1972evolver1972 Member Posts: 1,118

I'll admit to being a fan for sure.  I think overall, GW2 is probably the best video game I've ever played, but of course it has it's faults.

I'm sure many people I've argued with over the game are convinced I'm a deluded fanboi who can't see the faults of the game.  So be it.  I look at it that they are expressing opinions (for the most part - x is broken isn't an opinion, of course, but I don't like the game because I think y is broken is) and I disagree with those opinions.  Then, when I disagree with their opinion, I'm accused of being a deluded fanboi.  Or, I'm trying to tell them to not have, or express, an opinion because I tell them to go find a game that suits them.  Pretty amusing actually.

You want me to pay to play a game I already paid for???

Be afraid.....The dragons are HERE!

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by evolver1972

I'll admit to being a fan for sure.  I think overall, GW2 is probably the best video game I've ever played, but of course it has it's faults.

I'm sure many people I've argued with over the game are convinced I'm a deluded fanboi who can't see the faults of the game.  So be it.  I look at it that they are expressing opinions (for the most part - x is broken isn't an opinion, of course, but I don't like the game because I think y is broken is) and I disagree with those opinions.  Then, when I disagree with their opinion, I'm accused of being a deluded fanboi.  Or, I'm trying to tell them to not have, or express, an opinion because I tell them to go find a game that suits them.  Pretty amusing actually.

same boat... I'm always fine with having a discussion or talking about things that could improve in a game.. but to just come and bash a game and spread lies like mobs having no stuns/abilities or game having no night/day cycle and stuff like that then get called a rabid fanboy for defending the game from misinformation.. whatever...

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713

Difference between Fanboi and Fan is that Fanboi's are supposed to be so dedicated to their game that they will not admit any faults.

Problem with what actually happens? Anyone who is a fan automatically gets called a fanboy, and anyone who says anything bad is automatically a hater.

The internet is black and white...apparently.

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

Theres a difference between fans and fanboi. Fans can enjoy the game and still see its flaws. Fanbois will define a game relentlessly inflating facts and other methods and ignoring any faults to make it into a 'perfect' game. They will find excuses for everything and anything and honestly, they are probably the WORST thing for the game in terms of becoming better or developing. 

Yes they give population for the game, but being a fanboi and unable to even point out flaws or areas of improvement and stay ignorant, your not giving anything for developers to take note on and improve upon.

• Threatlevel0Threatlevel0 Member UncommonPosts: 179

I believe any game that we become invested in makes us a "fanboi" of it.   Considering MMO's are made (or were?) to get you invested in them and to keep you playing them as long as they can I think is the biggest reason why arguments about them can get so heated.  

As for myself I remember SWG as my most fond MMO.  Me and a group of RL friends started our own guild, became really good friends with other players, had our own city, and became really invested into the game.   MMO's, and games in general, are like going to the movies or any other form of entertainment where we sort of "escape" our real life.  Your there to become immersed, be it in the movie, the game, or what have you.   In my opinion we're all just looking to escape into our own perfect worlds, sadly we have to rely on designers to build them for us and we all know you can't satisfy everyone.   But it's pointless to attack what one person might find an engaging escape just because it isn't your perfect dream world.   

Sure, mine so far has been SWG.  I miss the social interaction in that game, the incredible depth of crafting which was so much beyond striking at a node with a pick, checking the bazaar (market) only to get a waypoint to another planet you'd have to shuttle to then take your speeder to that player's own shop/tent/guildhall if they're player city didn't have a shuttleport.   And so much more, like bounty hunting jedi....   But I also enjoy GW2, sure I'm not as immersed into it but it reminds me of playing D2 way back when, my first game.  ...  wait, where the fuck am I going with all this,  1am ramble off I'm going to bed.

• rexzshadowrexzshadow Member Posts: 1,428

Your not a fanboi your a fan. There is a difference. Fans like the game they enjoy it and are generally all nice people. Fanboi are obessed with the game any if anyone dare to say other wise they will form a mob and hang them. Fanboi are very defensive about the game and go out of their way to bash other games. They refuse any logic people put up and if your not with them your agains them which is why there is such a negative view of them.

This discussion has been closed.