Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Darkfall 1 Veteran here to answer questions!

13»

Comments

• RozallaRozalla Member Posts: 51

Were there any dedicated healers in DF ?  or is it to difficult to play healer ?

Also with the new role system in Unholy Wars will a healer be more viable ?

• NatrisNatris Member Posts: 38
    Originally posted by Rozalla

Were there any dedicated healers in DF ?  or is it to difficult to play healer ?

Healing in fights as well as buffing was certainly very important in DF but since it was possible to learn all spells in the game, everyone could and often did it during team fights. Even then, having designated area where people heal each other and where less advanced/skilled players could use this means to strongly influence fight was essential. Please keep in mind that in this game you had to land theheals on the people in qake 2 like environment in big chaotic battle so it was completely different experience from eg. WoW healing during raiding.

For instance in this video you can see the guy running into the keep to get fully healed and buffed. He does not heal as much because he is one of their best players and he concentrates more on killing :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=2sEbsStAM9Y

• KatlaOdindottirKatlaOdindottir Member Posts: 144

You did get players that play to heal and it worked very well (was useful for a team) though I suspect it's only going to become more viable in UW.

There's going to be 4 rough guides/roles

1. Melee/Warrior.

2. Skirmisher - hint at stealthy.

3. Mages - Will be different types depending on what spell schools the person chooses to utilize.

4. A support Mage - not quite sure how this will work as yet, expect buff others and better heal other spells than 3, infact I would expect 3 to not be able to other buff at all.

www.daneslaw.com

@GamerKurisu

Awaiting Darkfall Unholy Wars

• RozallaRozalla Member Posts: 51
    Originally posted by Natris

Healing in fights as well as buffing was certainly very important in DF but since it was possible to learn all spells in the game, everyone could and often did it during team fights. Even then, having designated area where people heal each other and where less advanced/skilled players could use this means to strongly influence fight was essential. Please keep in mind that in this game you had to land theheals on the people in qake 2 like environment in big chaotic battle so it was completely different experience from eg. WoW healing during raiding.

For instance in this video you can see the guy running into the keep to get fully healed and buffed. He does not heal as much because he is one of their best players and he concentrates more on killing :)

Thanks for the link.

I didn't realise that healing other players was such a big part of the game, I thought it was more about self heals.

I would love to have a medic / buffer type of role in holy wars.

• GrixxittGrixxitt Member UncommonPosts: 545

Thanks for the link.

I didn't realise that healing other players was such a big part of the game, I thought it was more about self heals.

The so-called priest role can accomplish just that.

Lots of abilities have changed/will change from the original Darkfall but you can look at the Spellchanting/Arcane schools

here   http://darkfallinfo.wetpaint.com/page/Arcane+Magic

and here     http://darkfallinfo.wetpaint.com/page/Chanting+Magic

to get a rough idea 

The above is my personal opinion. Anyone displaying a view contrary to my opinion is obviously WRONG and should STHU. (neener neener)

-The MMO Forum Community

• KshahdooKshahdoo Member Posts: 553

Originally posted by Rozalla Were there any dedicated healers in DF ?  or is it to difficult to play healer ? Also with the new role system in Unholy Wars will a healer be more viable ?
    Healing in fights as well as buffing was certainly very important in DF but since it was possible to learn all spells in the game, everyone could and often did it during team fights. Even then, having designated area where people heal each other and where less advanced/skilled players could use this means to strongly influence fight was essential. Please keep in mind that in this game you had to land theheals on the people in qake 2 like environment in big chaotic battle so it was completely different experience from eg. WoW healing during raiding. For instance in this video you can see the guy running into the keep to get fully healed and buffed. He does not heal as much because he is one of their best players and he concentrates more on killing :) http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=2sEbsStAM9Y
    Thanks for the link.

Even a bigger part of that fight was a discussion afterwards. I mean forumfall sometimes is more interesting than the game itself...

• mcrippinsmcrippins Member RarePosts: 1,625
    Can I go out on a boat and fish, and make a living at it?
  • KatlaOdindottirKatlaOdindottir Member Posts: 144
    Originally posted by afropuff420

In Darkfall 1 this is actually possible, though not sure how it'll be done in UW.

In Darkfall1 you could goto the shore with your rod and fish like that, or you could attach fighing rigs to a ship and whilst you're sailing you would fish at the same time, the level of critters you caught would vary depending on how dangerous the sea was that you're in.

www.daneslaw.com

@GamerKurisu

Awaiting Darkfall Unholy Wars

Originally posted by mrcjevans

In Darkfall 1 this is actually possible, though not sure how it'll be done in UW.

In Darkfall1 you could goto the shore with your rod and fish like that, or you could attach fighing rigs to a ship and whilst you're sailing you would fish at the same time, the level of critters you caught would vary depending on how dangerous the sea was that you're in.

Sounds like a game i'd like to play. Hopefully things like this follow over to the new game as well.

• FluteFlute Member UncommonPosts: 455

Medic!

Yes there were people who played as dedicated healers.  For a time, our clan would go into a particular dungeon with a tank in full plate, a dedicated healer in just a robe, 2 DPS, and a looter.  Healing in Darkfall 1.0 was a very hard skill to master, particularly on a moving ship (we had healers on ships too, to heal the cannoneers as they were taking hits from enemy ships).

I loved that playstyle, and at times was in the clan Wandering Healer, brown robe, staff and all.  :)

Fishing ships

Yes, you absolutely could be a fisherman in Darkfall 1.0.   We know that Aventurine made the Fish Trawler, Sea Scraper, and Coastal Runner (PICTURES:  http://www.darkfallonline.com/blog/?p=2821 ) so there is no reason at all to believe you won't be able to be a fisherman in Df : UW.  However you should plan on having a crew with you on fishing ships, beware the kraken and (player) pirates!

Originally posted by Flute

Medic!

Yes there were people who played as dedicated healers.  For a time, our clan would go into a particular dungeon with a tank in full plate, a dedicated healer in just a robe, 2 DPS, and a looter.  Healing in Darkfall 1.0 was a very hard skill to master, particularly on a moving ship (we had healers on ships too, to heal the cannoneers as they were taking hits from enemy ships).

I loved that playstyle, and at times was in the clan Wandering Healer, brown robe, staff and all.  :)

Fishing ships

Yes, you absolutely could be a fisherman in Darkfall 1.0.   We know that Aventurine made the Fish Trawler, Sea Scraper, and Coastal Runner (PICTURES:  http://www.darkfallonline.com/blog/?p=2821 ) so there is no reason at all to believe you won't be able to be a fisherman in Df : UW.  However you should plan on having a crew with you on fishing ships, beware the kraken and (player) pirates!

Thanks a lot for the info man! How do I miss this game?? I think I heard about it, but the only thing I didn't like was that there wasn't a skill cap. But I feel like I missed out on a lot of fun. Hopefully this new version will be just as awesome.

• redman875redman875 Member Posts: 230
    Originally posted by Flute

Medic!

Fishing ships

Thanks a lot for the info man! How do I miss this game?? I think I heard about it, but the only thing I didn't like was that there wasn't a skill cap. But I feel like I missed out on a lot of fun. Hopefully this new version will be just as awesome.

Ahh yes the fishign trip that would sometimes end in a kraken wiping everyone was always fun.  Boats played a big role in the game too wich added a fantastic dimension to seiges...

Also no skill cap means you dont need to reroll specific role alts...which imo defeats the purpose of a classless system.  Its actually one of the mechanics i hate most in other sandboxes.  I dont want to reroll...and i should not be restricted from making the best armors and weapons but also using them with the best skill....makes no sense.

• Sicc1Sicc1 Member UncommonPosts: 243
    This is off topic but im seeing allot of names I know. I'm trying to get in contact with some old Guildies. If anyone knows how to contact blaizze (silenceikeelyou), whiskey jack, or shadow veren please pm me.

Darkfall - Sick
    Earthrise - Sick

• drivecdrivec Member UncommonPosts: 104
    big reason alot of people   quit was because of hackers. anywhere from speed hacks to sticky back. are these hacks fixed or is it more policed. I dont think i could ever play again if hacks are still a real problem in the game.
  • GreenishBlueGreenishBlue Member Posts: 263
    I read an article stating that DF 1.0 characters may be wiped out for the new game. Any official info about this? If the old characters are wiped out, would you re-roll?

• FluteFlute Member UncommonPosts: 455
    Originally posted by GreenishBlue
    I read an article stating that DF 1.0 characters may be wiped out for the new game. Any official info about this? If the old characters are wiped out, would you re-roll?

It is a new game, so the current expectation from Darkfall 1.0 players is that everything (literally) will be new.  Day 1 log in and make new toons, form new clans, go out and explore the new map (and it is a new map, redesigned off the old one).

Perhaps an interesting point is that many of the Darkfall 1.0 players want that.  We felt that the game had taken design directions that were mistakes, and the best thing for the game was either a server wipe or a new server (de facto wipe).  Unholy Wars being a new game will deliver on that request.  There potentially will be some concession to current players in the new game, however because many of us wanted a fresh start it is very likely that Aventurine will simply give us what we asked for - nothing but a clean beginning, with improved systems to deliver on the promise Darfall 1.0 always held. 

• NC360NC360 Member Posts: 67

Here is what Aventurine has said so far in regards to fishing:

"Higher up the list is the Fishing Trawler. This vessel, as the name suggests, is used for fishing. The single canon at the front provides some defense in case of unfortunate encounters with pirates or sea monsters. In Darkfall 2.0 you can fish only with a fishing boat and fishing equipment has been removed from all other ships."

http://www.darkfallonline.com/blog/?p=2792