Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

NO LONGER VALID: New SSD not working after Raptor failed...

DraccanDraccan Member Posts: 1,050

edit: I have bought a new mobo, CPU etc. so this thread is no longer valid

Hi

I recently had my last of two raptors failing on me, so I decided to buy an SSD, specifically Intel 520 SDD 240gb.

This is my computer config (without the raptors):

EVGA nForce 780i
Intel Core 2 Duo e8400 @ 3.0
Zotac GeForce 9800GTX 512MB
Corsair TWIN2X4096-6400C5 G (8 gb)
Zalman GT1000 Gaming Case
Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit
ThermalTake BlueOrb FX Cooler
2 x WD Raptor X 150GB in raid 0 config
750GB SAMSUNG SPINPOINT F1 32MB 7200RPM
OCZ GameXStream 850 watt

After getting the SSD it didn't really work in Windows Vista Ultimate. It kept freezing even before booting Windows. Now I don't want to buy W7 at a high price just before launch of 8 so I got Windows 8 as a preview release.

My PC still freeze a lot. I can boot, but if I start a video or stay more than 15-20 minutes it freezes. I did read about 520 that it has had some freeze problems in the past. Admittedly I have read dozens of threads, I tried a reg. edit. I updated to latest bios update which is from end of 2009 I believe.

After installing Windows 8 I have taken down latest nvidia drivers, mobo drivers, I flashed the SSD rom with the latest version.

WHAT TO DO???

to be honest I am so desperate I feel like buying a new PC alltogether and / or returning this SSD. The only reason I choose SSD was because two raptors had failed on me. I often leave my PC on during the day and it is often used a lot for heavy tasks, so I would prefer a quick hard drive.

Should I return the new SSD, get a new PC (not a planned expense right now) and/or get a new raptor??

HELP

Comments

• GeekyBastrdGeekyBastrd Member UncommonPosts: 64
    Did you check for firmware updates for the SSD?
  • fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005
    Warranty?  Get replacement for it?
  • DraccanDraccan Member Posts: 1,050
    Originally posted by Meinsamr
    Did you check for firmware updates for the SSD?

yea I updated the SSD firmware, I have the latest BIOS for my 780i, latest Win8 drivers for my graphics card (tried others as well)..

it is so damn time consuming... I wish there was an easy fix :-/

• DrevarDrevar Member UncommonPosts: 177

I assume that you are no longer running a RAID since your raptors failed.  Be sure to remove the RAID driver and disable the capability in your BIOS. 

"If MMORPG players were around when God said, "Let their be light" they'd have called the light gay, and plunged the universe back into darkness by squatting their nutsacks over it."
    -Luke McKinney, The 7 Biggest Dick Moves in the History of Online Gaming

"In the end, SWG may have been more potential and promise than fulfilled expectation. But I'd rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."
    -Raph Koster

Originally posted by Drevar

I assume that you are no longer running a RAID since your raptors failed.  Be sure to remove the RAID driver and disable the capability in your BIOS. 

how do I remove the raid driver?

I ran a quick search and yours is a common problem with these drives.  Is returning the drive in exchange for another brand an option?  The Samsung drives seem to be pretty solid.  Normally I wouldn't rush into a return but after a 3 day battle with my own HyperX raid setup I understand the level of frustration involved.
    Go into your bios setup and find the storage options.  You'll want your SATA in ACHI.
    Go into your bios setup and find the storage options.  You'll want your SATA in ACHI.

ACHI is not supported for the evga 780i. I did read up on it and alledgedly it should only mean a slight reduction in speed and not that it doesn't work at all.

Some people have had freezing issues but it is hard to gauge the volume as problems can be google with any product.

Normally in Denmark we have 14 days of return of items bought on the Internet. But since I flashed the rom I am not 100% sure if I can still do that. I am strongly considering returning it. I have sooo much to do though IRL that either option (keeping or returning) is equally dreadful.

I esp. hate to return something not knowing what the issue was in the first place.

Check out post #4 here.  Might be worth a shot.

Another discussion that led me to the one above which relates more to your problem.  Click

• jdkskipjdkskip Member UncommonPosts: 120

Check out post #4 here.  Might be worth a shot.

Another discussion that led me to the one above which relates more to your problem.  Click

Meinsamr is correct with the #4 post. I had a 780i and had to replace the Nvidia drivers with the Microsofts Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller. It's a pain in the butt to do but it is the work around for the Nvidia motherboards.