Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Still no free month with expansions?

FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903
Seems a bit greedy at this point.

Comments

• MalkosMalkos Member UncommonPosts: 19
    Look at how many expansions EQ came with and how many expansions DAoC had. 
  • YakkinYakkin Member Posts: 919
    Did they do it before or something?
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903
    Originally posted by Enigmatus
    Did they do it before or something?

Vanilla WOW comes with free month.  But they always make you sub to play the expansions you buy.

• BeackerBeacker Member UncommonPosts: 440
    LOL no game offers a free 30 days with an expansion. You only  get the 30 days with  the first initial launch title itself. Never with an expansion. That would be a lot of lost revenue.
  • tv2zulutv2zulu Member UncommonPosts: 73
    Has any MMO ever given a months playtime with an expansion?
  • sk8chalifsk8chalif Member UncommonPosts: 666
    nope, i dont think so, + expansion always cost less.

~The only opinion that matters is your own.Everything else is just advice,~

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903
    Originally posted by Beacker
    LOL no game offers a free 30 days with an expansion. You only  get the 30 days with  the first initial launch title itself. Never with an expansion. That would be a lot of lost revenue.

Not if people don't buy it because of the sub fee for the first month.  So in my case, I'd pay $40 for the expansion and play the first month free.  But I'm skipping it due to the sub fee.

• BeackerBeacker Member UncommonPosts: 440
    Originally posted by FrodoFragins

Not if people don't buy it because of the sub fee for the first month.  So in my case, I'd pay $40 for the expansion and play the first month free.  But I'm skipping it due to the sub fee.

That doesn't count though because you are still getting the initial launch title which is why you're getting the 30 days. Even if you got a game that had the launch title with 6 expansions included you will get 30 days. If you have the launch title already you will not get anymore free time.

• f0dell54f0dell54 Member CommonPosts: 329
    Some threads just need to be deleted.
  • snapfusionsnapfusion Member Posts: 954
    I see what your doing, finding a reason to post to bag on games that have subscriptions.  Okay I get it your a F2P guy. Nice, now get over it, some of us have the money to pay a sub try not to let it bother you so much.
  • MatchuMatchu Member UncommonPosts: 24

In fairness to the OP.....I agree its greedy. My household has 3 accounts. All of which have been cancelled prior to MoP due to the complete lack of new content introduced by Blizzard prior to the new expansion.

At this point I do not want to buy the expansion AND have to re-sub just to see if I like what they have done! I already have a pre-disposition to not want to come back as I just hate the idea of the expansion being Kung Fu Panda/Pokemon/Farmville... So though I am still torn as I have many friends who still play, I'm balking at the cost, given that there are other newer games to try....

• moguy2moguy2 Member Posts: 337

This post is an awesome way for the multitudes to get their post count up! +1 . 

This type of gaming structure has been in place forever. WoW isn't greedy, by golly everyone is! So to make a thread like this just pointing a finger at ONE company shows you are madbro against just them =(. Come're we will hug , group style!

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092

EverQuest II used to give 30 days upon expansion. The again, their expansions were a bit more expensive as well ;)

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by moguy2

This post is an awesome way for the multitudes to get their post count up! +1 . 

This type of gaming structure has been in place forever. WoW isn't greedy, by golly everyone is! So to make a thread like this just pointing a finger at ONE company shows you are madbro against just them =(. Come're we will hug , group style!

agree - only new accounts get free months

RIFT also has an expansion this year but no free month is included unless its a new account

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by Reizla

EverQuest II used to give 30 days upon expansion. The again, their expansions were a bit more expensive as well ;)

that only worked if it was new acct -- existing accounts didnt get that benefit

• MatchuMatchu Member UncommonPosts: 24
    [mod edit]
  • KorususKorusus Member UncommonPosts: 831

Regardless of whether expansions normally come with a free month or not, I am in the same boat as the OP.  I would like to be able to play WoW again, even buy MOP to check it out, but I never will because the barrier to reentry for people who haven't played in years is simply too high, nevermind the barrier for brand new players which is even higher.  I never purchased Cataclysm because I lost interest after WotLK. 

What's more likely?  That I'm going to pay upwards of $85 to $100 for a decade old subscription based game that I don't even know if I would still enjoy, for pandaland?  Or just play GW2 for free and spend my money elsewhere..  hrmmm.

----------
    Life sucks, buy a helmet.

• LoLifeLoLife Member CommonPosts: 174
    Originally posted by Korusus

Regardless of whether expansions normally come with a free month or not, I am in the same boat as the OP.  I would like to be able to play WoW again, even buy MOP to check it out, but I never will because the barrier to reentry for people who haven't played in years is simply too high, nevermind the barrier for brand new players which is even higher.  I never purchased Cataclysm because I lost interest after WotLK. 

What's more likely?  That I'm going to pay upwards of $85 to $100 for a decade old subscription based game that I don't even know if I would still enjoy, for pandaland?  Or just play GW2 for free and spend my money elsewhere..  hrmmm.

Same here, I quit at WotLK, not going to cough up the dough for two x-pac's and a card especially when I may not like WoW at verison 5.0 and have Guild Wars 2 & Torch Light 2, if Blizzard wants me back they are going to have to do better than seven days free trail, I'm sure there many others who feel the same way aswell.