Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Trent Oster Thinks Fans Negativity and EA Drove Muzyka and Zeschuk from Bioware

Comments

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903
    Originally posted by superniceguy
    All the troubles started when they joined EA. There could have been no negativity if they were not with EA. EA are the root cause

Not if the products they released for their last two games were the same or very similar.

• Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686
    Originally posted by red_cruiser
    Well, if Casper the Star-Ghost and WoW + Cutscenes is the best that they can come up with, than I think it was high time they left the business, anyways.  Dragon Age has such a terrible world, but I was digging Mass Effect, up until the end.  Right now, I don't even bother keeping abreast of whatever projects BioWare is developing.

LOL imo story is awesome. The game is not for you, I feel here almost like GW2 fan with this comment. Why posting on this forum then if you don't keep track of bioWare games. Get over it. Is it so HARD?. 

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192
    Originally posted by CujoSWAoA

Maybe they shouldn't have made a shitty game.I don't feel bad for them.  Not one damn bit.

Especially when they're both walking away multi millionaires......booooo hoooo
  • ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

Poor, poor millionaires... they felt pressured by fan rage? Boohoohoo!

CRY ME A RIVER!

WELL GIVE ME YOUR MILLIONS and I will sit that out for 100 years! I never seen THEM on any forum or reacting to anyone! Instead their cronies always said to EVERY single critique "Ohhh we are SOO intelligent, our brains are SO BIG, we know better!" Well, know my ass!

The damn sunk ANOTHER Star Wars MMO, with the way biggest budget ever! My compassion with them is somewhere to freezing point!

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022
    Originally posted by nyxium
    The game also launched during one of the most catastrophic times of economic depression and collapse internationally. I feel that was a major effect on people's buying power no matter what some may say that people can afford to buy a game and a sub the times are hard and many obviously go for penny saving alternatives of f2p like LOTRO or B2P with GW / GW2. SWTOR was defeated not just by negativity, and it has been noted that was there, and in some cases a lot of negativity because of bugs, etc. But also because of the very nasty world economy, if it can be called that, more like world debt problem which is still unresolved and growing (sinking?) into the many triliions now.

I cant blame the economy for this.  I did not quit the game because I could not afford to play.  I quit the game because it was a pos. My money went elsewhere, but not because of the economy,  but because I refuse to reward ea/bioware with my money for a game that I felt lacked a lot of what star wars should be.

Now for some that are unemployed and sitting at home playing games and collecting an unemployment check it might have matters, but 1.5 million folks quit, its not due to the economy.  It is due to a myriad of reasons that might be different for everybody.  I think the economy is on the low end of the list.

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Originally posted by erictlewis

The total failure of swtor is what drove them out.    All I can say is if you make a pos game and folks complain about it, and the devs dont listen that is their fault.  We told them how bad it was in beta.

The way I see it if you can't stand the heat get out of the kitchen.

I don't blame them for leaving, best to do it before the ship sinks and before it goes free to play.

^^Exactly this^^

We told them in beta all the problems and all the features the game lacked and people would want them. We told them of the lifeless worlds that felt like there was no heart put into them, we told them of how horrid the game ran, even on rigs that should blow it out of the water, we told them of the abysmal loading screens, and so much more. The devs basicaly told us we had no clue and continued on their way.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646
    The game also launched during one of the most catastrophic times of economic depression and collapse internationally. I feel that was a major effect on people's buying power no matter what some may say that people can afford to buy a game and a sub the times are hard and many obviously go for penny saving alternatives of f2p like LOTRO or B2P with GW / GW2. SWTOR was defeated not just by negativity, and it has been noted that was there, and in some cases a lot of negativity because of bugs, etc. But also because of the very nasty world economy, if it can be called that, more like world debt problem which is still unresolved and growing (sinking?) into the many triliions now.

I know, right, this is so the case.

I mean 2.5 million people bought the game, even with Collectors Editions, and they knew ahead of time that there would be a $15 / month charge .. but 2 million players just suddenly quit after paying the up-front door fee of $60-$150 .. suddenly $15 became too expensive, yes, it is all the economy's fault.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention.  It is so irrelevant that gamers bought a $60 game and did not choose to subscribe.  As a whole, anyone who spends $60-$150 on a video game is automatically in dept now and can't afford $15 a month to continue their progress.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919

Must be why Skyrim bombed ...

SWTOR was / is a poor mmo. All it basically had was story - so it was never going to keep up. Blizzard said they were struggling to keep up with providing new content 12 months ago and they run with multiple teams. Crucially though they - and many other mmo's - have "other stuff to do" - not saying it is all good but. Content was both SWTOR's strength and its Achille's Heel.

As far as the two docs leaving: pressure. Bioware has been underperforming. Dragon Age, Mass Effect, SWTOR. And EA as a whole are underperforming - NBA's release cancelled again for example; PopCap Dublin studios closed. This stuff = corporate pressure. Running a happy division is much easier than running in a time of doom, gloom and having to oversee firings and layoffs and whip cracking.

They have lots of money - and have left to enjoy the fruits of their (earlier) successes. 

• YakamomotoYakamomoto Member Posts: 363

EA, EA, EA, blame EA, derp

Did EA create the railshooter? Did EA chose the Hero Engine? Did EA think it's a cool idea to have planets frozen in time with stiff NPCs?

Get over it, BW dropped the ball, EA is a freakin' publisher and not the game developer

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Originally posted by Yakamomoto

Did EA create the railshooter? Did EA chose the Hero Engine? Did EA think it's a cool idea to have planets frozen in time with stiff NPCs?

Get over it, BW dropped the ball, EA is a freakin' publisher and not the game developer

Spot on

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278

Apparently Bioware were taking ages with the game, which is not new to Bioware, Mass Effect 1 took 2 years longer than its initial expected release date. EA stepped in, and got Bioware to ditch stuff, and had no time to make the worlds more lifelike, so the game could get released

That is how EA affected things

EA owns BioWare, they have owned the company since 2007.  When you say BW dropped the ball, you mean EA dropped the ball , which they did.

EA owns BioWare.

[mod edit]

Apparently Bioware were taking ages with the game, which is not new to Bioware, Mass Effect 1 took 2 years longer than its initial expected release date. EA stepped in, and got Bioware to ditch stuff, and had no time to make the worlds more lifelike, so the game could get released

uh-huh, now a year later, BW still had no time to improve ANYTHING on the planets? Because of... let me guess, EA?

Well they finally figured out how shadows with smooth outlines work! Amazing!  Perhaps TOR will finally look like a 2012 game - in 2018

• UkiahUkiah Member Posts: 273
    Originally posted by Sevenstar61

Link

http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2012/09/28/trent-oster-thinks-fans-negativity-and-ea-drove-muzyka-and-zeschuk-from-bioware/

I would say I am not surprised that they would want to quit because of fan negativity. SWTOR "fans" venom could kill every body.

The fans had good reason.

I played SWTOR for 8 months. I advocated and supported and at the end of it all, it came down to SWTOR being a reasonably good game that certainly had issues but suffered most from developers not listening to the community. There were countless issues brought up in various betas MONTHS before release. Those bugs and issues were there at release. Stupid shit like being unable to add someone to your friends list unless they were online. The pvp side of things suffered from being helmed by the same guys that screwed up Warhammer Online. Many of the problems and mistakes exposed in Warhammer Online were outright copied whole into SWTOR where they, unsurprisingly, were just as unworkable and unpopular. You had developers trying to interact with the community and support a game that it was patently obvious they DIDN'T ACTUALLY PLAY.

I'm sure the good Dr's were wonderful men and it's a sad shame BW's efforts with SWTOR failed so badly and ultimately caused their departure. But they were in charge and it's no excuse that they weren't directly coding the game. They're the bosses, it was their damn job to make sure it was successful. 

Seriously, you take widely respected studio such as BW, you give them an IP that is practically a license to print money and you throw the backing of EA's deep pockets at it and you get..... what we got.

uh-huh, now a year later, BW still had no time to improve ANYTHING on the planets? Because of... let me guess, EA?

Well they finally figured out how shadows with smooth outlines work! Amazing!  Perhaps TOR will finally look like a 2012 game - in 2018

Bioware does what EA wants them to do. Before EA, Bioware did what Bioware wanted to do

The game will never be a 2012 game, as not enough staff left, and BW is no more

• kalrhaelkalrhael Member Posts: 87

Good god, the immaturity and bitterness in this thread is sickening, the utter disrespect these legends are getting highlights the fan negavity they probably felt. Also the Hyperbole that 'SWTOR is a shitty game' further demonstrates this, SWTOR didn't live up to the hype but that doesn't mean it's a bad game, far from it. 

And I wouldn't be crying tears for these two legends, save your tears for yourselves, you're the ones looking for this perfect sandbox game that will never exist, boohoo to them? They've lead accomplished lives, with a legacy that will far outshine your own, what they attempted with SWTOR is still much more than many of you will have accomplished by the end of your miserable lives trying to find your perfect game that will never exist. 

But go on, lets be bitter, people act as if SWTOR sodomized their wives and then burned down their house. These are just flipping videogames, SWTOR's failure is not reason to crucify these two gaming gods.

How about we drive more gaming gods from the industry, folks?  Constructive critcism has no place here, we just need to spread more of our bile to bite the very hands that feed us. These guys deserve utter respect for what they have done, instead?  We're spitting on their faces. 

It's just sad. 

• fundayzfundayz Member Posts: 463
    Originally posted by kalrhael

How about we drive more gaming gods from the industry, folks?  Constructive critcism has no place here, we just need to spread more of our bile to bite the very hands that feed us. These guys deserve utter respect for what they have done, instead?  We're spitting on their faces. 

It's just sad. 

Sorry but their company managed to spend $200 million and still create a turd of a game. They aren't gods, they are complete sell outs.

If they can't handle the criticism their games rightfully deserve then I will never give them any respect.

Good god, the immaturity and bitterness in this thread is sickening, the utter disrespect these legends are getting highlights the fan negavity they probably felt. Also the Hyperbole that 'SWTOR is a shitty game' further demonstrates this, SWTOR didn't live up to the hype but that doesn't mean it's a bad game, far from it. 

And I wouldn't be crying tears for these two legends, save your tears for yourselves, you're the ones looking for this perfect sandbox game that will never exist, boohoo to them? They've lead accomplished lives, with a legacy that will far outshine your own, what they attempted with SWTOR is still much more than many of you will have accomplished by the end of your miserable lives trying to find your perfect game that will never exist. 

But go on, lets be bitter, people act as if SWTOR sodomized their wives and then burned down their house. These are just flipping videogames, SWTOR's failure is not reason to crucify these two gaming gods.

It's just sad. 

I will play Mass Effect and all other Bioware titles, even KOTOR over and over. SWTOR was tarnished by EAs greed and involvement.

The fact that 1.5 million people ditched the game means it is a bad game, not us few saying it is a bad game, and the majority of them just quit without saying a bad word, as apparently the forums are only the vocal minority.

It's just sad. 

The only sad thing is that SWG was shut down, a 10 year older game with a 10 times better concept.

I don' t care about these "gaming gods" never played anything from Bioware except SWTOR.

• Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686

It's just sad. 

Could not say it better. Agree wholeheartly with everything you said.

And for thouse who mentionned my name on this post in relations to my other posts positive for SWTOR, or who don't like my characters (well I like them and it's all that counts) I am sorry that my love of the game offends you. I will try to spread the love anyway.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_P4VOjL3qfU

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

It's just sad. 

This is quite an advertising slogan to get people into the game.

Constructive critisism out the window?  We shouldn't critisize, just follow what the big companies tell us we like .. and we like it?

The doctors and others involved with design decisions within BioWare deserve our complete respect.  However they have all left the shop and now EA is in charge.  Nobody is spitting on the original BioWare personnel .. Everyone is spitting on EA, who now is in charge of SWTOR fully (even more than before). 

I personally have issues with George Lucas selling his beloved franchise to EA, but thats another story.

• tiefighter25tiefighter25 Member Posts: 937

So..

The good Dr's knowingly sold Bioware to EA for extreme monetary gain, knowing EA's track record with acquired development studios.

The good Dr.'s green lit using the Alpha Hero Engine for use with SWTOR.

The good Dr.'s allowed SWTOR to go so overbudget and past deadlines EA finally stepped in.

The good DR.'s are retiring very young and very rich. Ray Muzyka's estimated net worth is $80 million.

You want me to feel sorry that they were "bullied" by "nerd-rage" over their lack luster game?

They knowingly sold out to EA, helped make SWTOR what it is (and Mass Effect 3 and Dragon Age 2) and the first time they hit some adversity they bailed; as über rich citizens who may or may not work another day in their lives depending on their mood.

Believe it or not, I will not lose any sleep over the good Doctors' anguish and plight.

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935

It's just sad. 

Nicely stated.

Very sad indeed.

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935

It's just sad. 

The only sad thing is that SWG was shut down, a 10 year older game with a 10 times better concept.

I don' t care about these "gaming gods" never played anything from Bioware except SWTOR.

This has nothing to do with the bugfest that was SWG. 

Plus, your ignorance is showing.

Originally posted by tiefighter25

So..

The good Dr's knowingly sold Bioware to EA for extreme monetary gain, knowing EA's track record with acquired development studios.

The good Dr.'s green lit using the Alpha Hero Engine for use with SWTOR.

The good Dr.'s allowed SWTOR to go so overbudget and past deadlines EA finally stepped in.

The good DR.'s are retiring very young and very rich. Ray Muzyka's estimated net worth is $80 million.

You want me to feel sorry that they were "bullied" by "nerd-rage" over their lack luster game?

They knowingly sold out to EA, helped make SWTOR what it is (and Mass Effect 3 and Dragon Age 2) and the first time they hit some adversity they bailed; as über rich citizens who may or may not work another day in their lives depending on their mood.

Believe it or not, I will not lose any sleep over the good Doctors' anguish and plight.

Let me add:

The good Dr.'s didn't walk into an internal meeting with the devs and fired the idiot who came up with the railshooter

The good Dr.'s never played their own game, otherwise they would have noticed how static and stale the game worlds are and fired some more incompetent BW employees