Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Darkfall 1 Veteran here to answer questions!

Comments

• MelkrowMelkrow Member Posts: 278

Originally posted by Mardukk
    Is there any worthwhile PvE?
    Of all the games I've played, I'd have to say PVE in Darkfall has the best AI. I hate how in most games you're killing a pack of mobs, while their friends just chill there 20 feet away... supposedly not seeing you, must have had a really bad sight and hearing in that game's world. In Darkfall, there is no bs like that, if you make a sound, the mobs will find you, if you run in their line of sight, they will agro on you. Their line of sight is huge and realistic, as is their hearing. If you're fighting one mob, you can bet your butt that every mob in the spawn will come at you.

Playing: Darkfall Unholy Wars
    Played: Darkfall, EVE, AoC, Ryzom, Ragnarok Online, GW2, PS2, Secret World, WOW, City Of Heroes/Villains, Champion Online.
  • logicwarlogicwar Member UncommonPosts: 69
    Originally posted by skrewwL00se

Been playing since EU launch. I know just about everything there is to know about Darkfall. I'd love to answer questions from inexperienced/potential players.

-skreww L00se

what do you know about DF unholy wars ?

• skrewwL00seskrewwL00se Member Posts: 12
    Originally posted by logicwar

Been playing since EU launch. I know just about everything there is to know about Darkfall. I'd love to answer questions from inexperienced/potential players.

-skreww L00se

what do you know about DF unholy wars ?

Unfortunately, I'm privy to the same information you guys are!

• skrewwL00seskrewwL00se Member Posts: 12
    Originally posted by Aethaeryn
    Originally posted by ayronamic
    How did melee par with ranged in 1v1 in general?

In Darkfall 1 PvP you had to be versatile. Melee has very high damage output, so if you're standing there trying to shoot someone that is in your face melee'ing you, you're toast. If you wanted to make it a melee fight you shot your ranged at your opponent while you closed the distance to them.

In Darkfall UW I would expect the same, forget the ideas of being a ranged/melee person. Being one dimensional is not an option. You can focus using ranged but it will require good kiting and some melee.

I thought they were getting away from that. . having to do everything and everyone having all skills etc.

I don't mean that you will have to have all of the skills, but you won't be able to stand in place and shoot arrows.

• Sys7emSys7em Member UncommonPosts: 120
    Will King Mannus return?
  • willo248willo248 Member Posts: 346

I have a few  questions:

If i previously bought DF 1.0 and played it for a year will I be eligible to play DF UW without another purchaase?

If not will DF 1 still remain open?

If Yes will I keep my character?

• king0fmarsking0fmars Member Posts: 43
    Originally posted by Mardukk
    Is there any worthwhile PvE?

PvE in Darkfall is unique and exciting. Unlike anything in mainsteam mmorpg's the primary danger while killing enemy npc is other players. Much of darkfalls pvp is nonconcensual which is indeed frustrating at times but it is included in the game by design and why we love it. It provides a genuine sense of danger.

Everything in Darkfall is risk vs reward and pve is no exception. PvE can be done in a group but it is less rewarding because the reward is split several ways. Alone you lose the protection of the group but all the loot is yours. In Darkfall 1 you could defeat most monsters with cheap gear but to kill them fast you needed to risk more by wearing better more expensive gear.  Enemies are all different sizes featuring a variety incuding giant spiders, 20ft skeleton lords, giant burrowing worms, to dragons that attack you from above and krakens who attack from below.

Originally posted by Sys7em
    Will King Mannus return?

Seems so

http://duchyofwessex.org/forum/showthread.php?11536-Muster-for-Darkfall-Unholy-Wars

Originally posted by willo248

I have a few  questions:

If i previously bought DF 1.0 and played it for a year will I be eligible to play DF UW without another purchaase?

If not will DF 1 still remain open?

If Yes will I keep my character?

Most likely you will have to buy Darkfall: Unholy Wars. No.

• MelkrowMelkrow Member Posts: 278

No, those who have accounts in good standing (not banned) will not have to purchase the new client again. That's an official response and I'm too lazy to dig up the blog entry for a quote.

So if you want to play DF: UW, I would suggest buying the client now, $9.95, the new client is gonna be $30.

Edit: oh well, here it is.

There were also questions about having to pay for the relaunch version, and the answer is no if you’ve already bought Darkfall.

http://www.darkfallonline.com/blog/?p=2102

Playing: Darkfall Unholy Wars
    Played: Darkfall, EVE, AoC, Ryzom, Ragnarok Online, GW2, PS2, Secret World, WOW, City Of Heroes/Villains, Champion Online.
  • FluteFlute Member UncommonPosts: 455
    Originally posted by n00bara
    what is the use for mini red pyramids?

They were originally intended as prize tokens to be used in future events and/or traded for loot of a list of options.  Designs were made for player events using these, as an upgraded mysterious essence if you will.  Suggestions included a GM led team of NPCs attacking the player city of the pyramid holder's choice - ideally with a white dragon (etc).  Unfortunately spawning a dragon outside it's "natural environment" could cause server stability issues (i.e. game crashed), so GMs were forbidden to spawn dragons, which combined with the NPC control systems (they could posess 1 mob, but could not direct control of many mobs at once) meant that NPC armies could only be achieved with an army of GMs, which wasn't going to happen.  When they talk about "legacy issues" I expect these stability issues and fundamental design issues are on the list, as they go right back to the basic design of how the game was first built, how server resources are allocated, whether all areas have "flying space" over them, whether NPCs are seen by the server as if they were individual players or can be run as groups, etc.    Darkfall 1.0's architecture was good, but over time it became clear it was inherently limited.  Unholy Wars gives Aventurine the chance to correct the things that limited DF, and while it remains to be seen how far they take the design there is no reason why they can't make it amazing.

Oh for now, I guess the purpose of mini red pyramids is "to intrigue and taunt players, who will naturally assume it means something more than being a pretty gem".  Welcome to Darkfall?  :) 

• NacarioNacario Member UncommonPosts: 222

Another quick question. I keep hearing FFA loot drops from killed players, but does this only contain what the player had in his inventory or does this also includes his gear (which could have taken him some weeks to obtain)?

edit: just read a guide, apparently u do drop the gear as well, well that gotta suck^^

• nxmanxma Member Posts: 4

Another quick question. I keep hearing FFA loot drops from killed players, but does this only contain what the player had in his inventory or does this also includes his gear (which could have taken him some weeks to obtain)?

edit: just read a guide, apparently u do drop the gear as well, well that gotta suck^^

Yes you do also loose the gear, but gear isn't too hard to come by. And lets not forget that you can get some not necessarily loose it , that's what makes Darkfall such a great game :D. You don't get the thrill and adrenaline in any other game apart from Darkfall ;) Atleast I haven't experienced it.

• FusionFusion Member UncommonPosts: 1,398
    Originally posted by Drvanitus

No, those who have accounts in good standing (not banned) will not have to purchase the new client again. That's an official response and I'm too lazy to dig up the blog entry for a quote.

So if you want to play DF: UW, I would suggest buying the client now, $9.95, the new client is gonna be $30.

There were also questions about having to pay for the relaunch version, and the answer is no if you’ve already bought Darkfall.

That's over a year old blog post, I'm quite certain, everyone will have to buy the 29€ client (wether you're a vet or a new player) also everything will be wiped.

http://neocron-game.com/ - now totally F2P no cash-shops or micro transactions at all.
  • lennpelllennpell Member UncommonPosts: 111

Do you know anything on if the map will be the same and how/if combat will be changed? Aside from the actual skill changes will it be more refined? Is the PvE going to be changed any as well? 

Aside from my personal game questions, what did you want for the game that you know is going to be coming out in the new release? So many questions to ask I don't even know, I'm ridic excited even though I never got terribly far in DF1 because I didn't have terribly much time. 

• nxmanxma Member Posts: 4
    Originally posted by Fusion

That's over a year old blog post, I'm quite certain, everyone will have to buy the 29€ client (wether you're a vet or a new player) also everything will be wiped.

So what if it is an over year old blog post? Why should I get charged if I initially paid for the game €50 and now they will probably shut it down. It would be quite unfair. I'd understand it if current Darkfall would be left there to keep running but everyone knows that won't be the case and that Darkfall as we know it will be shut down. That's why people that already bought the current client will get the DF:UW client free of charge. However I don't think it applies to the people that buy the client now for 10 bucks just to the people that paid the original prce of €50 

Originally posted by lennpell

Do you know anything on if the map will be the same and how/if combat will be changed? Aside from the actual skill changes will it be more refined? Is the PvE going to be changed any as well?

The map will be different. There will be less ocean space and some cities and hamlets have been removed and maybe balanced in other ways. We do not know specifics besides there will be only one NPC racial city per race but it will be a mega city. The way players interact with holdings is also different because there will be a territory system involving the capturing of villages, and of course the current siege system is back.

Crafting has been completely revamped and there is a lot of information on that in the blog. They seemed to have learned a lot of valauble lessons from the original darkfall. PvE has gone through a lot of changes and balancing through out the original darkfall and I am sure UW will closely resember current PvE.

Aside from my personal game questions, what did you want for the game that you know is going to be coming out in the new release? So many questions to ask I don't even know, I'm ridic excited even though I never got terribly far in DF1 because I didn't have terribly much time. 

I'm mostly excited about playing with a lot of people on an active server. I started playing darkfall a few months after release and even with out experiencing the best times I love it. Besides that I am excited for the territory control and the role system.

Losing gear often is what made crafting so great in Darkfall.  Things also wore out and broke (deleted), so one way or another your gear needs to be replaced fairly often which is again great for crafters.

It also means there is a reason to pvp.  If you hate crafting, you simply need to find players to hunt to get the gear you want.  At one point in Darkfall I was losing so much gear that I was actually accused of supplying our enemies with goods!  It didn't matter though, because for all I lost I never ran out - I simply made more, and I love crafting so *shrug*.

There is a little mantra that you should remember when you play Darkfall : Unholy Wars - "if it is not safely in your bank, it is not really yours".

• jdlamson75jdlamson75 Member UncommonPosts: 1,010
    Originally posted by nxma
    Originally posted by Fusion

So what if it is an over year old blog post? Why should I get charged if I initially paid for the game €50 and now they will probably shut it down. It would be quite unfair. I'd understand it if current Darkfall would be left there to keep running but everyone knows that won't be the case and that Darkfall as we know it will be shut down. That's why people that already bought the current client will get the DF:UW client free of charge. However I don't think it applies to the people that buy the client now for 10 bucks just to the people that paid the original prce of €50 

I'm hoping it's going to be free to those who have played Darkfall 1.0, but I'm not holding my breath.  When AV opened up the NA1 server, those of us who wanted to start over on NA had to buy the game all over again.  Just to play on a new server.  Not even a new game...

• IAmMMOIAmMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,462
    Originally posted by WhisperXIII

I'd like to see anyone who says that magic/ranged was the only way to play in 1.0 duel a talented melee Destroyer 1v1. The funny thing about Darkfall is that it actually takes a lot of skill to play, and many simply don't have it or haven't practiced enough.

The best player in the game is a melee-oriented player, and has been for a long, long time. He uses the Destroyer specialiazation, which in 1.0 removes your ability to cast any elemental magic, blocking all of the spells that many proclaim as "mandatory" for victory. If you watch his playstyle, every action he takes in fights is focused on getting him into melee.

http://www.youtube.com/user/xzorcist/featured

No it doesn't take a lot of skill to play it takes a lot of well refined Autohotkey macros and getting good and using them.

• ban-chanban-chan Member UncommonPosts: 25
    I was an avid Shadowbane player. From launch until server shut down. Is the newer version of Darkfall anything like shadowbane. I miss it. I miss building cities, political intrigue, territory control, seige warfare, pvp skirmish groups...so if I can get this experience with some diversity in class builds (nothing beats sb on that front) then I will make DF UW my next purchase.

The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made - Groucho Marx

Ban-chan if you love city building, politics, intrigue and pvp, you'll love Darkfall : Unholy Wars.  From what we know it won't be super-expensive anyway, so totally worth playing a month or two at least to see if it provides the gameplay you want :)
  • JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410
    are they changing melee combat in any way?  are they adding first person melee combat at all? is it still going to be that 3rd person, spin arround lin circles, jump like a rabbit spam fest?
  • ProfRedProfRed Member UncommonPosts: 3,494
    Originally posted by Jakdstripper
    are they changing melee combat in any way?  are they adding first person melee combat at all? is it still going to be that 3rd person, spin arround lin circles, jump like a rabbit spam fest?

Well they are adding a reticle wobble, and some other mechanics to dissuade sprint fighting.  Crouching/walking will increase the stability while sprinting/jumping will penalize it.  It will be interesting to see how these systems play out.

From official forums:

What is the idea behind momentum/crosshair wobble and how will they affect the game? Ex. Will an attack with increased momentum do extra damage? How much of a wobble will the crosshair wobble while running, walking, crouching, standing still?

Momentum and crosshair wobble are intended mainly adding an extra tactical element to Darkfall Unholy Wars. Shooting a bow or spell while sprinting should not be as easy as when standing still for example. So sprinting offers the maximum amount of penalty to attack accuracy, running, crouch walking offer a diminished penalty while standing still has no penalty. In the same way, momentum makes movement more realistic and encourages proper positioning as opposed to sprinting all time while swinging wildly trying to land a hit. Still, however, Darkfall: Unholy Wars is a real time manually aimed game so these effects are quite mild as we do not want to affect gameplay too much.

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410
    the whole point of sprinting in circles is to make your enemy miss his swings. if the reduced damaged by wabble is very small i have a feeling people will still prefer to sprint in circles to make other miss. after all a missed swing is 100% less damage. i guess we just have to see how it works out.