Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mass Exodus for MoP... or not?

Comments

• JackdogJackdog Member UncommonPosts: 6,321
    I just don't think the 2 games will appeal to the same crowd, or are they meant to be. Both are role playing fantasy games but the core design is different on a lot of levels. It will all settle out in a month or so.

I miss DAoC

• lordpenquinlordpenquin Member Posts: 129
    I couldn't possibly go back to wow after playing GW2.  Arenanet fixed so many things that annoyed me with it and all the others.
  • goozmaniagoozmania Member RarePosts: 394

Guild Wars 2 has been driving people away on its own; Warcraft has very little to do with it.

Also, for those people claiming it was designed to hop in and out as you please, that is only a half-truth... Obviously its developers want people playing it constantly, as it is a "mm"orpg. They didn't create it hoping people would be bored in 2 weeks, then consider coming back for a few days at a time, some time in the future... That would be stupid. They make money from the cash shop, and people would only use the cash shop if that were playing all the time; it's no different than a subscription game.

• OziiusOziius Member UncommonPosts: 1,406

Why do a lot of you have to be such flag planters? Why must you pick one game and hold it above all the rest, poo'ing on anyone who disagrees? Why can't you like two things? What is wrong?

I'm currently playing Gw2 and having a very good time. I really like the game a lot. I also plan on playing MoP when I have the chance. I'm still only paying for one sub, which doesn't bother me. 

Yes, you heard it here folks. I like TWO things! Wait... I also enjoying play Champions online when I get a chance... OMG... I LIKE THREE THINGS!!!!

• Angier2758Angier2758 Member UncommonPosts: 1,026
    Originally posted by Eletheryl
    Originally posted by fivoroth
    Originally posted by Rokurgepta
    Originally posted by Justsomenoob
    Originally posted by Zezda

I know how fond everyone is of the xfire stats on this site :-p

http://www.xfire.com/genre/mmo/massively_multiplayer_online/

Launch day for MoP and it's still behind. Not looking too good I would say.

That's pretty remarkable.

Sure WoW is only barely behind, but the fact that it's behind at all says a lot for how popular GW2 is.

WoW has now completely destroyed GW2 in terms of xfire stats :)

http://beta.xfire.com/games

Amazing a game with 9 million players has more players than one with 2 million. Yes sir you have truly hit upon a massive anomaly here.

I am just throwing pointless xfire stats in the face of GW2 fanboys. Cause I remember they had quite a laugh posting those graphs where GW2 > WOW. I am just returning the favour :D

But yes it is amazing that an 8 year old game is being played more than a game which has been released in less than a month :P

At this time of the day, not a single server in NA or EU in GW2 is full. Like it was with gw1, the game will be pretty much a 2nd casual MMO.  

We'll see when I get home :)  I generally don't trust any of the haters.

• goozmaniagoozmania Member RarePosts: 394
    Originally posted by Sukiyaki
    [mod edit]

If you're absurd enough to use that barely relevant website to claim that WoW had no effect on GW2, then what is your defense for GW2's unfounded drop of nearly 60% in 2 weeks? Surely you can't have your cake and eat it too.

If you're going to use it to defend a game, then you can't ignore its own evidence to the contrary...

• RokurgeptaRokurgepta Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,136
    Originally posted by Eletheryl
    Originally posted by Rokurgepta
    Originally posted by Justsomenoob

That's pretty remarkable.

Sure WoW is only barely behind, but the fact that it's behind at all says a lot for how popular GW2 is.

WoW has now completely destroyed GW2 in terms of xfire stats :)

http://beta.xfire.com/games

Amazing a game with 9 million players has more players than one with 2 million. Yes sir you have truly hit upon a massive anomaly here.

I am just throwing pointless xfire stats in the face of GW2 fanboys. Cause I remember they had quite a laugh posting those graphs where GW2 > WOW. I am just returning the favour :D

But yes it is amazing that an 8 year old game is being played more than a game which has been released in less than a month :P

At this time of the day, not a single server in NA or EU in GW2 is full. Like it was with gw1, the game will be pretty much a 2nd casual MMO.  

Considering the time of day in NA I am glad to see no full servers. During primetime USA game time half the servers were FULL last night.

• JackdogJackdog Member UncommonPosts: 6,321
    GW2 has 3 at medium with all other N American servers  running at high 4:24 EST time on a Wednesday..hardly deserted. Lions Arch zone had a overflow

I miss DAoC

• gelraengelraen Member UncommonPosts: 316
    Originally posted by Jackdog
    GW2 has 3 at medium with all other N American servers  running at high 4:24 EST time on a Wednesday..hardly deserted. Lions Arch zone had a overflow

Yeah man, as I posted just now in another thread... haters are running rampant on these forums.  Some people are so insecure in their choice of mmo that they need to validate their decision by hating on people who chose differently.  It's a sad part of the human  psyche.   

• GamerUntouchGamerUntouch Member Posts: 488

n-n-n-no we meant 2 months

yeah

that's it

it'll die in 1 month

• TardcoreTardcore Member Posts: 2,325
    Originally posted by gelraen

Yeah man, as I posted just now in another thread... haters are running rampant on these forums.  Some people are so insecure in their choice of mmo that they need to validate their decision by hating on people who chose differently.  It's a sad part of the human  psyche.   

*Points at title of thread, raises eyebrow*

You're reeeeeally gonna go there?

"Gypsies, tramps, and thieves, we were called by the Admin of the site . . . "

• GamerUntouchGamerUntouch Member Posts: 488
    Originally posted by Tardcore

*Points at title of thread, raises eyebrow*

You're reeeeeally gonna go there?

The thread was a response to posts. This didn't just come from nowhere.

• TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

no no... keep this thread going, yeah you say GW2 is tanking.

Right now: 3 medium, rest are high. WvW is queue and Lion's Arch/Queensdale/Gendarran Fields are overflow as usual.

hahahaha

• ChieftanChieftan Member UncommonPosts: 1,188

http://beta.xfire.com/games/gw2

Pretty much says it all.

My youtube MMO gaming channel

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by Chieftan

Pretty much says it all.

yup shows GW2 has about 1k more xfire users than the biggest MMO in the world.. :) your point was?

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• KakkzookaKakkzooka Member Posts: 591

I haven't noticed a decline in the playerbase on my server (Jade Quarry), but then I wouldn't know how to accurately test the metrics. XFire is good at tracking trends, but I guess we'll have to wait to see what ArenaNet's official numbers are.

But, more importantly, why does it matter? These are both two solidly made games that have different appeal. Neither company is explicitly trying to rip their consumer base off (at least with the two current games we're discussing.) If everyone is having fun - who cares?

Re: SWTOR

"Remember, remember - Kakk says 'December.'"

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159
    Originally posted by Aerowyn

Pretty much says it all.

yup shows GW2 has about 1k more xfire users than the biggest MMO in the world.. :) your point was?

Not the most optimistic of graphs, and yet.. yeah, that's still a pretty good point.  Especially if you added that it's on the day of that biggest MMO's latest xpac release, no less.  GW2 is still ahead in number of players.

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• Requiem1066Requiem1066 Member Posts: 274

Some people are so insecure in their choice of mmo that they need to validate their decision by hating on people who chose differently.  

Would that be the same insecure people who have to shoot down any valid concerns in other threads or are they different ones ? :)

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

Pretty much says it all.

Wow GW2 does have a disportionate amout of users compared to WoW lol. Interesting indeed. GW2 people want people to know they are palying I guess lol.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806

You might want to check that again, just one day after launch... "Just saying..."... ^^

But who in the world bothers with Xfire these days??

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by bcbully

Pretty much says it all.

Wow GW2 does have a disportionate amout of users compared to WoW lol. Interesting indeed. GW2 people want people to know they are palying I guess lol.

No shock wow played  hour #'s jumped during a xpac release anyone could see that.. no shock people aren't putting 8 hours a day into GW2 either...  either way as of now 8:20 PM EST in US all high and 3 medium servers for GW2 a day after the wow xpac looks good to me. Plenty of people all around in Rall so I'm happy:)

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

This whole thread treats GW2 like it's a Sub based game. This is B2P.
    While healthy populations are desirable, ANET and NCSoft are more interested in the ongoing revenue generated by a healthy core of Cash Shop users. And I don't buy that the Boxed sales are all that really matters and that some trickle coming in from the shop from occasional spenders is good enough. Regardless of the profits made by the boxed sales, it still boils down to overhead vs revenue going forward. Those are the numbers that mean anything. Not Xfire, Not screenshots of World population levels. You can have every server full all the time and have near 100% player retention 24/7. It means squat in GW2 if no one is spending money. Likewise, a smaller core of players who happily drop money consistently, will be enough to keep the game running.

• prpshrtprpshrt Member Posts: 258
    Majority of the players who play GW2 will not leave for kung fu panda land. Gameplay's too eh...
  • Requiem1066Requiem1066 Member Posts: 274
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer

This whole thread treats GW2 like it's a Sub based game. This is B2P.
    While healthy populations are desirable, ANET and NCSoft are more interested in the ongoing revenue generated by a healthy core of Cash Shop users. And I don't buy that the Boxed sales are all that really matters and that some trickle coming in from the shop from occasional spenders is good enough. Regardless of the profits made by the boxed sales, it still boils down to overhead vs revenue going forward. Those are the numbers that mean anything. Not Xfire, Not screenshots of World population levels. You can have every server full all the time and have near 100% player retention 24/7. It means squat in GW2 if no one is spending money. Likewise, a smaller core of players who happily drop money consistently, will be enough to keep the game running.

Always makes me wonder as well why people worry about numbers so much ... If you enjoy the game who gives a fk if there is 10k or 100k people playing.

Or are the people who worry the types who follow the trends ? The ones who only play because it's " cool " to be part of the X game crowed..

• stratasaurusstratasaurus Member Posts: 220
    Originally posted by Kost
    Originally posted by The_Korrigan

You can't get to max level in either games in 2 days unless you are using extreme powerleveling with no sleep, cold pizza and a toilet seat as computer chair.

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/1202123-World-First-level-90

4 hours.

Anyone who claims WoW isn't the easiest MMO on the market is kidding themselves.

You are kidding yourself...SWTOR is way easier then WoW.  The dungeons are easier, the leveling is easier and the raiding is way easier.  Not saying Wow is a hard MMO at all just saying that saying it is the easiest out of every single MMO that is being sold is not a very smart thing to say.  Have you even played anywhere near every MMO on the market that you are qualified to give that kind of statement?

This discussion has been closed.