Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Picky Old Schooler MMO'er eagerly awaiting this

Played MMO's over a decade. Used to play whatever release there was. Then came WoW. After that the MMO genre went into the Dark Middle Age. A few mediocre releases yeah, but overall totally worthless MMO's.

Now, after I have played 'some' Darkfall Online, which I loved (though I entered it 2 years too late and left after 3 months) I will finally be THERE when this is released.

I shyed these 'Full PvP Loot' MMO's like the plague until I one day was so bored of all them crappy releases that I jumped on a trial in Darkfall. Needless to say; I was sold. I still play other MMO's, but they have limited "staying power" for me unrtil I am so bored that I alt-F4.

This will be a good christmas folks, thank you for taking your time to read this.

Comments

• elvrageelvrage Member Posts: 43
    Originally posted by Mr_C

Played MMO's over a decade. Used to play whatever release there was. Then came WoW. After that the MMO genre went into the Dark Middle Age. A few mediocre releases yeah, but overall totally worthless MMO's.

Now, after I have played 'some' Darkfall Online, which I loved (though I entered it 2 years too late and left after 3 months) I will finally be THERE when this is released.

I shyed these 'Full PvP Loot' MMO's like the plague until I one day was so bored of all them crappy releases that I jumped on a trial in Darkfall. Needless to say; I was sold. I still play other MMO's, but they have limited "staying power" for me unrtil I am so bored that I alt-F4.

This will be a good christmas folks, thank you for taking your time to read this.

Good to have you aboard. I too once used to play mediocre games. I played Guild Wars (the original) for two years, and I loved it. Then I moved to WoW (with a friend of mine), and it was okay... I quit after a year and began a search for the ultimate MMO.

Then I found Darkfall. Haven't turned back since. I bought Guild Wars 2, because I enjoyed Guild Wars so much... but I play Darkfall more than I do Guild Wars 2.

• Mr_CMr_C Member Posts: 112

Darkfall is by far the best experience I ever had when it came to having the felling of being on an constant adventure.

The world of Agon is so huge that it is nearly beyond comprehension even for a veteran player. If Aventurine fixes all the "worst" parts with DFO, then improves some parts like the land (makes it bigger?) we will have a huge gem of a game in our hands soon.

THIS is what a game is about. I am so fed up being handed everything free without risk, the only thing which is an obstacle to me in modern MMO's is being able to withstand the grind to get the gear that lies there. Getting it is even for nobrainers, but getting there is for the patient ones. Not me. I rather rave around in halfgood gear and have a hell of time than grind into eternity to get my "epic" one, just to see that the server downtime has now implementet a better piece, but needs twice as much grind.

That's how it is for me in a nutshell.

• indefindef Member UncommonPosts: 344

They have done a lot to fix the grind issues of the game.  Currently a brand new character can be a completely maxxed toon within a month with proper guidance.  A completely maxxed character is also not required for pvp... it just helps.  You can be PvP viable in 2 weeks easy.

Much different than when the game first released.  I started playing DF about a year or so after release and it took me almost 6 months to become PvP viable.  The only reason I stayed was because I had a lot of friends to keep me interested in the game.

Look forward to seeing you in the new game. 

Reason I don't return to DFO is that I know a few veterans and they have adviced me to stay away from it due to lots of hacking & exploiting, and Aventurine does nothing about it.

I played it for 3 months, when the grind used to be a nightmare; after 3 months of not being able to a skjit when I met veterans I gave up. I did not ragequit, I just grew tired of the grind and being ganked too much too often. Great game though, just me who's too impatient ;)

• indefindef Member UncommonPosts: 344

Reason I don't return to DFO is that I know a few veterans and they have adviced me to stay away from it due to lots of hacking & exploiting, and Aventurine does nothing about it.

I played it for 3 months, when the grind used to be a nightmare; after 3 months of not being able to a skjit when I met veterans I gave up. I did not ragequit, I just grew tired of the grind and being ganked too much too often. Great game though, just me who's too impatient ;)

Read the post I wrote right above yours.  They've fixed 100% of the issues you explained.  I'm sure that it'll continue into the new game.

Originally posted by indef

They have done a lot to fix the grind issues of the game.  Currently a brand new character can be a completely maxxed toon within a month with proper guidance.  A completely maxxed character is also not required for pvp... it just helps.  You can be PvP viable in 2 weeks easy.

Much different than when the game first released.  I started playing DF about a year or so after release and it took me almost 6 months to become PvP viable.  The only reason I stayed was because I had a lot of friends to keep me interested in the game.

Look forward to seeing you in the new game. 

You sir, are some damn patient one! I wish I could endure the same, cause the ONLY game my thoughts keep going to, wishing I was a part of, is Darkfall. Not counting Anarchy Online here, since that has an affectional place in my heart, so I cannot be biased then ;)

• MrLichTwitchMrLichTwitch Member Posts: 13
    The only MMO I ever got into before Darkfall was SWG, pre CU. I got bored with it after I became a maxed out BH because I didn't want to holo grind. Went back to it after the CU, yet right before the NGE. The CU was bad, and NGE just sped up the inevitable for me, quitting SWG for good. Then I did a google search for FPS style MMO and happened upon Darkfall. I loved all of the concepts they preached and followed it for a year or two on Forumfall and then got invited to the open beta. I played from that point on until about a year ago. I'll never forget the way it was in the beginning. Nothing in gaming has ever even come close to the feeling I got playing Darkfall from Feb 09 up until the launch of the NA server. I can't wait to recapture that feeling!
  • BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380
    While its good to be excited about the game, keep your expectations in check otherwise you may just become disappointed.   Or screw my advice and throw caution to the wind and get hyped. 
  • MrLichTwitchMrLichTwitch Member Posts: 13
    Originally posted by Badaboom
    While its good to be excited about the game, keep your expectations in check otherwise you may just become disappointed.   Or screw my advice and throw caution to the wind and get hyped. 

I'm not gonna throw caution to the wind, but I'm excited that we'll at least see a few months of Darkfall with a healthy population. Should be fun times.

• VirusDancerVirusDancer Member UncommonPosts: 3,649
    While I have zero interest in the game, it's one of those games where I hope that it's a great success and meets the needs of those looking for an action MMO so that the calls for more action in other MMOs calms down some.  It succeeding would be a win-win scenario...

I miss the MMORPG genre. Will a developer ever make one again?

Explorer: 87%, Killer: 67%, Achiever: 27%, Socializer: 20%

• GamefunGamefun Member Posts: 290
    The reason you like it is because its a true mmorpg unlike all the wannabes out there today. It keeps you on the edge of your seat always. Most wannabe mmorpg's these days don't have that. I'm also looking forward to Darkfall; Unholy Wars. Lets hope Aventurine keeps there word this time around and that they really improved on the things needed to keep Darkfall successful. 
    Originally posted by Gamefun
    The reason you like it is because its a true mmorpg unlike all the wannabes out there today. It keeps you on the edge of your seat always. Most wannabe mmorpg's these days don't have that. I'm also looking forward to Darkfall; Unholy Wars. Lets hope Aventurine keeps there word this time around and that they really improved on the things needed to keep Darkfall successful. 

Um, no - it's not a true MMORPG - and - that's likely the reason that the OP and others like it.  They never wanted a MMORPG; and thus they always found themselves disappointed.  It's one of hte most annoying things that has taken place over the years, people wanting this kind of game in MMORPGs - and - if it means that there's even one less person asking to corrupt an actual MMORPG... like I said, I sincerely hope that UW's an awesome success.

Originally posted by VirusDancer

Um, no - it's not a true MMORPG - and - that's likely the reason that the OP and others like it.  They never wanted a MMORPG; and thus they always found themselves disappointed.  It's one of hte most annoying things that has taken place over the years, people wanting this kind of game in MMORPGs - and - if it means that there's even one less person asking to corrupt an actual MMORPG... like I said, I sincerely hope that UW's an awesome success.

I completely disagree with your opinion. You make no sense, It's an mmorpg whether you like it or not. 

I completely disagree with your opinion. You make no sense, It's an mmorpg whether you like it or not. 

Has nothing to do with liking it or not.  Has everything to do with mechanics.  Based on mechanics, it's not a MMORPG - whether you love it or love it...

...80's, 90's, and even early 2000's - games were called FPS, Adventure, Action, RPG, RTS/TBS, etc, etc, etc.  Late 2000's, marketing folks started calling everything a RPG.  This obviously carried over into the marketing for MMOs.  I tend to give marketing folks the finger.

Has nothing to do with liking it or not.  Has everything to do with mechanics.  Based on mechanics, it's not a MMORPG - whether you love it or love it...

You make no sense. You are hard headed and foolish if you think its not an mmorpg' when it consists of everything mmorpgs use, with the exception of open world pvp. It's a sandbox mmorpg, and it says so right on the box cover so arguing with you is pointless.

You make no sense. You are hard headed and foolish if you think its not an mmorpg' when it consists of everything mmorpgs use, with the exception of open world pvp. It's a sandbox mmorpg, and it says so right on the box cover so arguing with you is pointless.

It's an Action MMO...

...and again, I sincerely do wish for it to be a great success for the reasons I've outlined - as well as I think everybody should have a game they enjoy.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Well i think the OP like Sooooo many never played the real unique game in FFXI.it makes Wow look even worse,more generic.

However as to DF  idk about eagerly,i think it is a cool attempt to shore up the game,but it is still just a pvp game.That is where games fail imo,you are suppose to deliver the tools,assests to deliver a role playing atmosphere,to simply say here login and kill each other ,is not role play gaming.Well not unless you are role playing Atilla the Hun,even then you need more than just pvp.

Even the OP is basically only mentioning pvp full loot,imo it is not nearly enough to call a game complete.

If Av really wanted to bring some excitement they should do like FFXi and create some creature factions that sometimes attack forts/towns.Then the players of that faction/town can defend it and get whatever loot the boss creatures are carrying.To catch the drift look at Beseiged from FFXi or Campaigns that attack outposts.

This would create some of the PVE fun a rpg should have.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

It's an Action MMORPG.

/thread.
  • OboyyOboyy Member Posts: 15

action mmorpg.

ofc its a mmorpg.

• Rorschach1797Rorschach1797 Member Posts: 19
    Originally posted by Wizardry

If Av really wanted to bring some excitement they should do like FFXi and create some creature factions that sometimes attack forts/towns.Then the players of that faction/town can defend it and get whatever loot the boss creatures are carrying.##

It already happend. There was a huge wave of GM controlled Mosters which attacked the Capitals of each Race.

Read the post I wrote right above yours.  They've fixed 100% of the issues you explained.  I'm sure that it'll continue into the new game.

I know. But all the hackers is what keeps me away. Anyway, soon we have Unholy Wars out, and then I will definately be there from the start.

Originally posted by Wizardry

Well i think the OP like Sooooo many never played the real unique game in FFXI.it makes Wow look even worse,more generic.

However as to DF  idk about eagerly,i think it is a cool attempt to shore up the game,but it is still just a pvp game.That is where games fail imo,you are suppose to deliver the tools,assests to deliver a role playing atmosphere,to simply say here login and kill each other ,is not role play gaming.Well not unless you are role playing Atilla the Hun,even then you need more than just pvp.

Even the OP is basically only mentioning pvp full loot,imo it is not nearly enough to call a game complete.

If Av really wanted to bring some excitement they should do like FFXi and create some creature factions that sometimes attack forts/towns.Then the players of that faction/town can defend it and get whatever loot the boss creatures are carrying.To catch the drift look at Beseiged from FFXi or Campaigns that attack outposts.

This would create some of the PVE fun a rpg should have.

Correct. I never played FFXI and I probably never will. The GUI and the way you control the character is what makes me stay away from the game. Unless I have been told lies and/or things have changed, I will always look into other games.

• OboyyOboyy Member Posts: 15

IBut all the hackers is what keeps me away.

What hackers?

Originally posted by Oboyy

IBut all the hackers is what keeps me away.

What hackers?

Plenty of cheaters and exploiters in the game when I used to play it, and things have not been better since that. I trust my friends who are veterans from Beta about the state of the game and it not worth returning to. A shame though since I would like to play it; but there's no chance I will play a game which the developers have abandoned.