Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I really feel that prior to 1.2 SWTOR had the best MMO combat since WoW.

2»

Comments

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646
    Originally posted by solarine
    Originally posted by DrunkWolf
    Originally posted by Saur0n
    LoL Best combat since wow?  Since when was wow the combat benchmark?  That's sad.

^ this +1000

its sad that so many people started with WoW and that was their first MMO. now everybody compares other games to that as if it was the best at everything. WoW combat = garbage.

Tera combat at least took some kind of skill, same with conan.

but give me Asherons Call combat any day of the week over any of these thempark nub games.

You're assuming way too much.

I started playing MMOs even before they were called MMOs... :P And I'd still say WOW has the best flowing ground combat in any MMO up to now. I'm not talking about systems and features, but purely about responsiveness, animation and the resulting "fluidity" of combat. Yep, it's mostly a feeling and thus somewhat subjective, but there it is.

Though I have to agree Asheron's Call had very good combat, too, in a totally different style. Actually I'd probably rank that 2nd overall. But I haven't played that in years - like, *long, long* years. :)

As for click-combat, I'd probably go with Lineage 2.

TERA, I was quite underwhelmed.

Gee I dunno, I find the responsiveness and "fluidity of combat in GW2 superior.  The animations are a whole new ballpark - for instance when you knock back a mob/player in GW2 they flip, spin and land on their butt.  That is quite an animation.  Similar effects with all mobs types too, for instance if you knock back even a snake the snake actually rotates around and stretches out, just like it would if it were thrown.

In WoW & SWTOR (because it's a WoW clone), when you knock a mob or player back it's just like a still ".GIF" picture that just gets smaller because it's now further away.  I can't see how you can say WoW animations are the "best".  If you've never seen better, then I suppose they are (to you).

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387
    Originally posted by Sevenstar61

I thought that ability delay was fixed with January 24th patch.

Still remember people posting on forum: OMG they fixed it. Are we talking about the way how SWTOR abilities work (animations etc?)

No what they fixed in jan 24th was the GDC's icon triggering.

They did not and will not remove the long GDC (hence ability queuing and abilities delay) itself. They said it was part of the mechanic.

• DraronDraron Member Posts: 993
    Originally posted by Karteli

Gee I dunno, I find the responsiveness and "fluidity of combat in GW2 superior.  The animations are a whole new ballpark - for instance when you knock back a mob/player in GW2 they flip, spin and land on their butt.  That is quite an animation.  Similar effects with all mobs types too, for instance if you knock back even a snake the snake actually rotates around and stretches out, just like it would if it were thrown.

In WoW & SWTOR (because it's a WoW clone), when you knock a mob or player back it's just like a still ".GIF" picture that just gets smaller because it's now further away.  I can't see how you can say WoW animations are the "best".  If you've never seen better, then I suppose they are (to you).

I played GW2 and Tera (free trial). I still feel like WoW and SWTOR has better feeling combat. You can't argue with someone trying to prove them wrong about how they feel about something when it's a matter of taste. 

• bubalubabubaluba Member Posts: 434
    True, best classic mmo combat after wow. It is not about if you like or not the game, it is about how smooth combat is and wow have best movement from all. Swtor is close to this
  • tixylixtixylix Member UncommonPosts: 1,288
    Originally posted by Draron
    Originally posted by Karteli

I played GW2 and Tera (free trial). I still feel like WoW and SWTOR has better feeling combat. You can't argue with someone trying to prove them wrong about how they feel about something when it's a matter of taste. 

WoW's animations just work, they're fast and make your character feel responsive. I don't like GW2 because your chaarcter looks like they're leaping everywhere and you can move your character off the center of the screen, like your character moves before your camera does. There is nothing worse than over long animations that make you feel like you're not in control of your character. SWG had this after the NGE when they tried to speed up combat and your character would keep animating when trying to run lol. 

If you're going to do fast paced combat, you cannot have complex animations.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zP5gX09YgZk Great animations for the slow paced combat of Pre CU SWG. However it just doesn't work when you speed things up, as seen with the NGE. Where as in WoW the combat is so fast that the animations need to be almost instant because they need to start and end by the time you hit your next skill. You feel disconnected to your character if it isn't instantly animating what you just pressed and this was a major problem with Ability Delay at launch. 

• skydiver12skydiver12 Member Posts: 432

I disagree and it's a miracle to me how anyone liking WOW's combat mechanic can prefer the mess that SWTOR had (and still has).

WoW's combat is GCD based.

SWTOR's combat is animation locked and animation based during early stages then changed to GCD based for certain skills, and finally a random pile thrown together of gcd and animation locks which leads to an asynchron and delayed combat, that neither does the beautiy of animation based (including animation lock) combat nor the responsivity of GCD (no animation lock) combat any justice.

I prefer animation locks and animation based combat because it gives weight and depth to the skill choices, (and does not work well with random button smashing - wich is a plus for me) and aside from that you can clearly tell what each person is (going to) do. Getting the hang of your character and knowing when you can chain certain attacks better is also a plus for me.

Now if the game locks my character because some enemy is going to jump to me is one thing, i don't mind it because he will land right next to me and it will look and feel great, however if it takes up to 3 seconds because the game's network code is so bad and my client can't decide between fireing that skill i pressed 3 seconds ago or not and the interface gives no clear feedback whenever it did or not (even worse - you get cooldown for a not executed skill) - that's bad, that's SWTOR.

If you want lightsabers (or swords for that matter) to work "movie, cinematic" your combat should not wait for an animation window and GCD window. Maybe to fire off (or not) delayed while your interface tries to tell the player it already used that skill on the gcd window while the server realized the animation window wasn't ready afterwards and delays the action.

It's a core design issue.

Originally posted by tixylix
    If you're going to do fast paced combat, you cannot have complex animations.

I disagree :)
    L2 and RO both are animation based (attack speed) and speeding up animation works great even with up to 5 skills a second.

The issue with NGE is, it was cheaply done, in l2 someone spend time to look up how to speed up the animation, which part of it get's scaled up which even does not speed up, a head turn changed to a slight nod, nge just scaled linear and looked ridiculous.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Swtor combat is not as good as war combat. Ea wouldn't even beat their own prior game.