Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Help choosing two classes for a duo

treyu86treyu86 Member UncommonPosts: 269
Me and my couple are probably going to be playing this game for a while, I have been reading about all the classes (advanced classes) for some days now, but I am still not quite sure what should we pick. My couple likes the healer role, so I think the Sorcerer or Sage (still haven't decided if Empire or Republic) will be the choice, but for me, I generally like DPS classes or tanks that can also deal damage (I like to play a lot the PvP part of games). About dps classes, I don't care if they are weak IF I have some skills to evade attacks or play it smart and win, I hate DPS classes where if you are not partied, you are dead against tanks or healers. So, any player with some experience in the game could give me any advice on which 2 classes will play well together with this information? thanks!

Comments

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646
    Originally posted by treyu86
    Me and my couple are probably going to be playing this game for a while, I have been reading about all the classes (advanced classes) for some days now, but I am still not quite sure what should we pick. My couple likes the healer role, so I think the Sorcerer or Sage (still haven't decided if Empire or Republic) will be the choice, but for me, I generally like DPS classes or tanks that can also deal damage (I like to play a lot the PvP part of games). About dps classes, I don't care if they are weak IF I have some skills to evade attacks or play it smart and win, I hate DPS classes where if you are not partied, you are dead against tanks or healers. So, any player with some experience in the game could give me any advice on which 2 classes will play well together with this information? thanks!

Imperial Agent (IA) seemed the best for me.  I tried some of the others to about level 20 or 30 and they were just cliche's - capture someone and either tell your master something, set them free, or torture them. .. Zzzz..

The IA seemed to have a more shifting unpredictable story.  IA's were also fun to play (range DPS).  The multiple (2) endings are interesting, although they all lead you back to the fleet where you get bored and reroll an alt, or quit :P

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• DraronDraron Member Posts: 993

Me and my friend play the same way. We're in our mid 30's playing exclusively duo the entire time. He's a Sith Inquisitor with the healing spec on the Scorcerer and I'm playing the Cybertech of the Bounty Hunter with the tanking spec. 

From my experience, any class in the game can either DPS/heal or DPS/tank (whichever it's meant for) good enough to get you through the game until endgame when you really specialize.

Just a tip, but if you play duo exclusively helping each other with your story quests, you really only have to do a planet quest once every level or so unless you wanna outlevel the content and make everything trivial. I plan on going back through with another class afterwards and play through the planet quests.

• mikahrmikahr Member Posts: 1,066

Smuggler/Scoundrel and Consular/Sage is pretty good combo. Ton of CC, lots of healing and DPS, stealth.

• treyu86treyu86 Member UncommonPosts: 269
    Originally posted by Draron

Me and my friend play the same way. We're in our mid 30's playing exclusively duo the entire time. He's a Sith Inquisitor with the healing spec on the Scorcerer and I'm playing the Cybertech of the Bounty Hunter with the tanking spec. 

From my experience, any class in the game can either DPS/heal or DPS/tank (whichever it's meant for) good enough to get you through the game until endgame when you really specialize.

Just a tip, but if you play duo exclusively helping each other with your story quests, you really only have to do a planet quest once every level or so unless you wanna outlevel the content and make everything trivial. I plan on going back through with another class afterwards and play through the planet quests.

by planet quests you mean all the quests in the game except the ones that are specifit to your class story (personal quests)? So then if we don't want to outlevel the content we just do our story quests playing together and avoid almost all the standar quests? That doesn't seem fun. I don't know much about the game so maybe there are a lot of story quests that make you visit almost all the planets and all the parts of the planets, if the story quests are just like in Lotro where they are very specific for some dungeons and instances I think I don't like that hehe. Could you explain that tip better?

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646

by planet quests you mean all the quests in the game except the ones that are specifit to your class story (personal quests)? So then if we don't want to outlevel the content we just do our story quests playing together and avoid almost all the standar quests? That doesn't seem fun. I don't know much about the game so maybe there are a lot of story quests that make you visit almost all the planets and all the parts of the planets, if the story quests are just like in Lotro where they are very specific for some dungeons and instances I think I don't like that hehe. Could you explain that tip better?

I guess what Draron was saying is that if you duo each others class stories (2 peps), since the planet involvement is linear and everyone with a similar level is on the same page, then you get enough experience to skip the planet story lines (double dipping essentially).  It's enough to to go the next planet/zone ... I guess it's the same time involved, but just doing different stuff to get exp.  Instead of doing zone quest, you do someone elses personal quests & get XP.

This works because SW is a generic themepark and everyone lv 20 is in the same zone, regardless of class .. same for lv 30, etc.  Each class has a different story, with a new class quest provided for each level, or so.  It's very linear, regardless of class.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• treyu86treyu86 Member UncommonPosts: 269

Originally posted by mikahr

Smuggler/Scoundrel and Consular/Sage is pretty good combo. Ton of CC, lots of healing and DPS, stealth.

Originally posted by Karteli

I guess what Draron was saying is that if you duo each others class stories (2 peps), since the planet involvement is linear and everyone with a similar level is on the same page, then you get enough experience to skip the planet story lines (double dipping essentially).  It's enough to to go the next planet/zone ... I guess it's the same time involved, but just doing different stuff to get exp.  Instead of doing zone quest, you do someone elses personal quests & get XP.

This works because SW is a generic themepark and everyone lv 20 is in the same zone, regardless of class .. same for lv 30, etc.  Each class has a different story, with a new class quest provided for each level, or so.  It's very linear, regardless of class.

Smuggler/Scoundrel and Consular/Sage seams like a good combo indeed, but how is Scoundrel in PvP and dungeons? I am not always going to be partied with my duo so I would like to know how this class really plays later in dungeons and PvP. Any advice?

Aboyt story quests thing, ok I understand it now. I guess each class start at a different starter poin, at which level do we go to the same planet and start the same linear progression?

• DraronDraron Member Posts: 993

Aboyt story quests thing, ok I understand it now. I guess each class start at a different starter poin, at which level do we go to the same planet and start the same linear progression?

The Sith Inquisitor and Warrior start on there own planet, while Bounty Hunter and Imperial Agent start on another. After level 10, the Empire classes meet up on the same planet and follow the same progression planet wise to max level. But each class has there own storyline that leads them through the planets in there own way, so if you play duo with a friend your basically doing two storylines (you get to see there cutscenes and help out in the actual combat and such) which is enough to level without doing most of the quests that are shared across all classes (planet quests). 

If your going to play Bounty Hunter and they're going to play Sith Inquisitor, it'd be best to level your Hunter to 10 before they start so you'll be ready to start the 2nd planet with them and just roll a Sith Warrior for the first 10 levels to help them off the starter planet (if they're playing an Inquisitor). 

The game is really duo friendly, definetely worth the $15 price it's going for atm if just to play through to 50 once. 

• solarinesolarine Member Posts: 1,203

I played as part of one duo to high levels, and another to mid:

1) Sith Warrior - Juggernaut & Sith Inquisitor - Sorcerer 

2) Bounty Hunter - Powertech & Imperial Agent - Operative 

Thing with these two setups is, you get to start out on the same planet as a duo. And the story just works better (especially in Sith Academy, where your tutors acknowledge you both as bright pupils smartly working together, etc.)

I'd say the Bounty Hunter & Imperial Agent stories are on their own better, but running the Sith classes as a duo brought in some extra fun. And the dungeon run dialogue felt better to me.

As for combat; the Sith pairing is more of a familiar, more of a "standard" tank & heal affair if you spec for that. Whereas the game mechanics for Operative and Powertech is a bit different than you'd be used to from other games, and a bit more sci-fi-ish, if you will. :)

But you'll do well with both pairings.

And then there's the Republic side... Well, almost all of these go for that side, too, but the Republic planets and stories felt a bit more bland to me.

• mikahrmikahr Member Posts: 1,066

Smuggler/Scoundrel and Consular/Sage seams like a good combo indeed, but how is Scoundrel in PvP and dungeons? I am not always going to be partied with my duo so I would like to know how this class really plays later in dungeons and PvP. Any advice?

Its hardest DPS class to play in raids, but if played correctly its good DPSer.

For PvP, to use its skills to the fullest you need coordinated group since its tactical class. Its quite effective then. In solo queuing its quite weak, unfortunately, unless you get people who know what they are doing and cooperate. Thats for DPS stealth tree.

Its also best healer so you can always respec if needed ;P