Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

D:UW, people are obviously still starving for real PvP

2»

Comments

• UhwopUhwop Member UncommonPosts: 1,791
    Originally posted by Nizur
    Originally posted by JimmyYO

Yeah Darkfall is so amazing they had to make a sequel instead of an expansion because it was too daunting to fix all the games issues. Good sign.

It's not a bad sign either. The only thing it's a sign of for me is AV wanting to make the game right, even if it means starting over.

All these DF lovers come out from under rocks when their game is overhyped yet have been silent for years because the game mine as well of flopped. Macro'ing skills to max is awesome guys! GW2 Hype all over again except this time it's painfully obvious....

So much vitriol for people who like a game you don't. What's the point of posting other than trying to get a rise? And I'm glad people admit GW2 was overhyped now.

What?  That made no sense. 

It's not a bad sign that they redeveloped the game because they wanted to do it right?  If they had to redo the game to "make it right" then what in the world does that say about Darkfall?  If UW is the game done right then obviously Darkfall wasn't done right! 

And if they didn't get it right the first time, how do you know they'll get it right the second time?  I keep seeing people make comments about something they haven't even played yet like they have.  Statements like, there is no grind, no need to macro, or the skill system is fixed.  I keep seeing people just parroting what they've either just recently seen Tasos state in the video that was released or what they've been reading for the last two years. 

As if we're not talking about the same company that changed their features page after the game originally released because it listed things that weren't actually true.  Not to mention the rampant cheating with hacks and exploits, broken mobs, sieges on one side of the world that caused unbearable lag for people playing on the opposite side of the world, the god awful melee combat system that revolved around sprinting in circles around each other, horribly unbalanced skills, MASSIVE grind. 

We are talking about the same company that produced the first darkfall, that sold something like 500k copies, and then had the magority of it's players quit. 

At least GW2 was hyped based on peoples experience in beta, DF: UW is being hyped the same way DF was, based on what one guy in charge of making the game says.  As if anything Tasos says shouldn't be taken with a grain of salt. 

Given how the first game turned out, and the way AV operates, I think it's safe to say people should hold off trying to hype the game until it actually releases.   

• NizurNizur Member CommonPosts: 1,417
    Originally posted by Uhwop
    Originally posted by Nizur
    Originally posted by JimmyYO

Yeah Darkfall is so amazing they had to make a sequel instead of an expansion because it was too daunting to fix all the games issues. Good sign.

It's not a bad sign either. The only thing it's a sign of for me is AV wanting to make the game right, even if it means starting over.

All these DF lovers come out from under rocks when their game is overhyped yet have been silent for years because the game mine as well of flopped. Macro'ing skills to max is awesome guys! GW2 Hype all over again except this time it's painfully obvious....

So much vitriol for people who like a game you don't. What's the point of posting other than trying to get a rise? And I'm glad people admit GW2 was overhyped now.

What?  That made no sense. 

It's not a bad sign that they redeveloped the game because they wanted to do it right?  If they had to redo the game to "make it right" then what in the world does that say about Darkfall?  If UW is the game done right then obviously Darkfall wasn't done right! 

And if they didn't get it right the first time, how do you know they'll get it right the second time?  I keep seeing people make comments about something they haven't even played yet like they have.  Statements like, there is no grind, no need to macro, or the skill system is fixed.  I keep seeing people just parroting what they've either just recently seen Tasos state in the video that was released or what they've been reading for the last two years. 

As if we're not talking about the same company that changed their features page after the game originally released because it listed things that weren't actually true.  Not to mention the rampant cheating with hacks and exploits, broken mobs, sieges on one side of the world that caused unbearable lag for people playing on the opposite side of the world, the god awful melee combat system that revolved around sprinting in circles around each other, horribly unbalanced skills, MASSIVE grind. 

We are talking about the same company that produced the first darkfall, that sold something like 500k copies, and then had the magority of it's players quit. 

At least GW2 was hyped based on peoples experience in beta, DF: UW is being hyped the same way DF was, based on what one guy in charge of making the game says.  As if anything Tasos says shouldn't be taken with a grain of salt. 

Given how the first game turned out, and the way AV operates, I think it's safe to say people should hold off trying to hype the game until it actually releases.   

It makes plenty of sense. The game was amazing in so many ways, but had some glaring faults that a lot of people couldn't get around (UI, scripting, grind, etc). A bad sign to me would be AV just walking away from the game and not working to fix anything. A bad sign would be AV going bankrupt or shutting the server down with no further development.

To me, it's a good sign AV cares enough about the game to spend the time and resources to take what made DF good and make it better... hopefully.

Yes, I remember the stupid crap AV has done in the past. Yes, I know how frequently some people hacked/cheated in the game. It doesn't matter to me because despite all it's glaring faults DF is still the only MMO I've played that gave me real thrills and adrenaline rushes. It's still the only MMO I've played that had PvP that felt epic in scale. It's still the only MMO I've played that had somewhat challenging NPC mobs (the goblin starting quest was an eye-opener). EVE has its moments too, but I felt detached from my character.

Because DF holds a special place among MMOs for me, I want UW to succeed. I want a game like DF but without the faults. This game looks to be just that. Of course we won't know for sure until later whether it actually delivers, but until that time I'm going to be excited about and rooting for the game.

Current: None
    Played: WoW, CoX, SWG, LotRO, EVE, AoC, VG, CO, Ryzom, DF, WAR
    Tried: Lineage2, Dofus, EQ2, CoS, FE, UO, Wurm, Wakfu
    Future: The Repopulation, ArcheAge, Black Desert, EQN

• OnigodOnigod Member UncommonPosts: 756

Its a hype machine because it has the potentional! it always had. I really hope they can deliver.

I also see alot of negativity AND THAT IS GOOD!  This game is not for everyone  this is not a game  to attract millions. Aventurine knows that, darkfall players know that and the sooner you realise the the faster df uw can be somewhat settles community wise.  Your negativity simply doesnt change the fact this game is not for you.

I cant wait for the threads of "i logged in and i dont even know what to do this game has no content!" threads of people that are unable to play without their hands being held by npc that move them around.

• DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030

I personally never found Darkfall's PvP to be better or worse thna othwer games outside of the Full Loot thing but that's Just me.It did however do that very well and yes you never felt safe,unfortunately for me Darkfall lacked in every other area.Now this new version could correct a lot of that and so I watch with interest but not myopic enthusiasm.

Now hopefully this time Aventurine will be samrt and keep their biggest handicap hidden.This time they'll keep Tasos silent coz every tiem that guy opens his mouth you can literally hear the number of potential customers dropping.

• UhwopUhwop Member UncommonPosts: 1,791
    Originally posted by WhisperXIII
    Originally posted by Uhwop
    Originally posted by Greymoor

There's a saying in Darkfall...

Once you've tried Darkfall PvP you just can't go back.

You are spot on, once you've tried darkfalls PvP you can't go back.  Just like the magority of people that purchased the game. 

We quit, and didn't back. 

I've noticed a trend, having worked a lot over time with newer players, teaching them to play the game. Don't take this the wrong way, but I would amend the initial statement to "Once you've tried Darkfall PvP and won, you just can't go back.".

It is true, there is no feeling in the world like the rush of victory in Darkfall, when your enemy lies dead and you are picking through their gear looking for shinies. On the other hand, lying incapped on the ground waiting for your enemy to gank you is probably one of the worst feelings you can have in gaming.

So, Darkfall is a game of extremees. All that said, it comes down to the fact that  many, many people who play Darkfall never got the chance to learn how to PvP from someone who actually had some skill in it, and as such, many people tried the game, lost repeatedly, and quit out of boredom and a sense of defeat.

I say all this with the deepest sincerity, because I love Darkfall and I want to see it retain players. Hence why I've gone so far out of my way to partner with many different newbie clans to help demonstrate to their players that they can indeed win if they put the time and effort in to learn how to PvP correctly.

That's a very subjective feeling that is entirely dependant upon the individual. 

EVE give me a bigger rush then DF ever did just travelling, but I don't expect everyone to feel the same way I do.  I played DF for 6 months, I did solo PvP, group PvP, and seiging.  I won and lost. 

The idea that you need to win in PvP in order to appreciate PvP in DF could be said about any game.  However, winning in PvP does not mean that you WILL appreciate it, let alone enjoy it.