Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why Darkfall Online will always be a failure

to players that never involved themselves in it. 

DF had many flaws. I'm not trying to deny that. What it didn't have was shitty gameplay. DF is the only game that I  have ever logged into for the first time, and I felt like I was actually controlling my character instead of it controlling me. I was amazed at the world around me. I started in Monkfield on a male human, and I immediately started exploring. First the city and then the surroundings. I found a dungeon within 5 minutes of exploring and got my ass kicked by the mobs inside. I then respawned with nothing and started again. This time I found goblins. I love goblins. I spent probably 30 minutes killing goblins before depositing what I considered to be good loot. I then started exploring some more. I found a few gatherers and had a conversation with one about the game. He gave me some pointers and directed me towards killing trolls.

I went back to the city, equipped my fancy goblin gear, and ran towards the troll spawns. On my way there I encountered two Orks  who were in some of the most scary gear that I had seen yet. They were taunting me and growling at me while calling me demeaning names in public chat. Their taunts were something of the lines of "human make good steak". I luckily still had my noobie protection so they were unable to devastate me, but unfortunately they were able to find a human within 100 meters of myself that didn't have his little ring of invulnerability. What I witnessed made me uninstall every other game on my computer.

Comments

• NacarioNacario Member UncommonPosts: 222
    ..and thats the beauty of freedom and risk. There are so many MMOs with systems that prevents such a freedom and risk, let DF stand out and appeal to the smaller crowd.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    Yeah, I let my personal dislike of unrestricted full loot keep my from giving the first DF a try, this time around I'm going to discard that and give it go.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• killer128killer128 Member Posts: 21
    so basically, they killed another player and that was enough to make you quit the game? That doesn't even make any sense.

Darkfall Unholy Wars

• UhwopUhwop Member UncommonPosts: 1,791

Except for the magority of people that did indeed involve themselves in it, and quit. 

You can't argue against the magority of people buying a game, and hen quitting it because it's not very good, let alone the fact that the developers decided it was best to remake the game.

No one remakes a successful game.

Not much logic in saying that the only people that though it was a failure were those people that didn't involve themselves in it.  I was involved in a clan that held a keep, and did seiges; damn near all of us quit along with the most of the other people that purchased the game. 

Yeah, the expansion they started a year after release, that they decided required to many things to fix and so changed to a new game is obviously and indication that Darkfall was a success. 

Also, your experience isn't unique to darkfall, nor does it make darkfall good for anyone other than you. 

• snapfusionsnapfusion Member Posts: 954

Your right about the title of your post and your right about your description of the game, which is why ultimately this game will turn back into a ghost town.

Danger of getting curbed stomped and all your possesions striped leaving you standing naked somewhere only appeals to a very very small number of people, barely enough to keep your game company running.

But AV is apparently okay with this because they truely believe they have built a game for "everyone" and everyone just hasnt figured it out it.

Originally posted by killer128
    so basically, they killed another player and that was enough to make you quit the game? That doesn't even make any sense.

No, he said that it made him quit every other game.  I guess darkfall is the only game you can do that in. 

• TardcoreTardcore Member Posts: 2,325
    Originally posted by Kyleran
    Yeah, I let my personal dislike of unrestricted full loot keep my from giving the first DF a try, this time around I'm going to discard that and give it go.

I think I may be joining you. Maybe this game will help purge the sickening saccharine taste from all these "Candyland MMOs" from my palate.

"Gypsies, tramps, and thieves, we were called by the Admin of the site . . . "

• indefindef Member UncommonPosts: 344
    Your story has nothing to do with the title of this thread.
  • snapfusionsnapfusion Member Posts: 954
    Originally posted by indef

It does actually, hes saying the things that he likes about the game are the reasons the game will remain a failure ( a total niche game).

• GKnyghtGKnyght Member Posts: 4
    My first few hours in Darkfall were brutal and bloody. When I started there was no such thing as the newbie protection halo. Ran outside the starting town to kill goblins and quickly died. I went back and it was a crazy scene dozens of new players were killing goblins and trying to get their loot, then turning on each other and going rogue trying to fend others off from the gravestones. I found and  grave with a sword still in it and equipped my first weapon. A few of us teamed up and were killing the goblins, finally getting a few pieces of ragged armor. I heard a player die and looked up. Over the hill rode a formation of heavily armored PK's on mounts charging down at us. Needless to say few escaped. We regrouped in the town and charged out eventually driving them off. I was hooked on Darkfall.
  • Mari2kMari2k Member UncommonPosts: 367

With such a system that supports  corpse looting and player griefing, this game should at least be on top with all other issues like, grafics, gameplay, crafting ...

If its not, it will always fail.

• winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281
    Originally posted by Uhwop

Except for the magority of people that did indeed involve themselves in it, and quit. 

You can't argue against the magority of people buying a game, and hen quitting it because it's not very good, let alone the fact that the developers decided it was best to remake the game.

No one remakes a successful game.

Not much logic in saying that the only people that though it was a failure were those people that didn't involve themselves in it.  I was involved in a clan that held a keep, and did seiges; damn near all of us quit along with the most of the other people that purchased the game. 

Yeah, the expansion they started a year after release, that they decided required to many things to fix and so changed to a new game is obviously and indication that Darkfall was a success. 

Also, your experience isn't unique to darkfall, nor does it make darkfall good for anyone other than you. 

This^^

Those that don't learn from the past are failed to repeat it. I remember the fans proclaiming how great DF would be the first time around, most of those fans do not play DF anymore. DF2 (unholy wars) is just more of the same.

On the other hand it is good that there is a game for those that feel the need to Gank.

• TorlukTorluk Member Posts: 162

The reason Darkfall never became a long lasting game for me wasn't because of getting killed and looted.  I didn't play for long but during that time I never felt like anything I had was valuable, thus worth caring about if I lost it.

Everytime I was ganked my reaction to losing loot was 'myeh, I lost a few items that I have a bank full of and can replace pretty easily'.  The little rush of excitement when you had to think on your toes to try and survive a gank was worth more to me than the items I lost.

Originally posted by snapfusion

It does actually, hes saying the things that he likes about the game are the reasons the game will remain a failure ( a total niche game).

No, he's saying it's only a failure to the people that didn't play it. 

Which is contradictory to what really happened.  Niche doesn't mean failure, failure means the game becomes unsuported by it's developers. 

AV abandoned darkfall in favor of making a new game to replace it.  That's pretty much the definition of a failed MMO.  Darkfall fans have a stange concept of success. 

• winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281
    Originally posted by GKnyght
    My first few hours in Darkfall were brutal and bloody. When I started there was no such thing as the newbie protection halo. Ran outside the starting town to kill goblins and quickly died. I went back and it was a crazy scene dozens of new players were killing goblins and trying to get their loot, then turning on each other and going rogue trying to fend others off from the gravestones. I found and  grave with a sword still in it and equipped my first weapon. A few of us teamed up and were killing the goblins, finally getting a few pieces of ragged armor. I heard a player die and looked up. Over the hill rode a formation of heavily armored PK's on mounts charging down at us. Needless to say few escaped. We regrouped in the town and charged out eventually driving them off. I was hooked on Darkfall.

You a few hours into the game drove off a "Formation of heavily armored PK's on mounts" with your newbie sword and ragged armor? I'm guessing in truth they just left after getting tired of killing you again and again. Nice story though.

Originally posted by Torluk

The reason Darkfall never became a long lasting game for me wasn't because of getting killed and looted.  I didn't play for long but during that time I never felt like anything I had was valuable, thus worth caring about if I lost it.

Everytime I was ganked my reaction to losing loot was 'myeh, I lost a few items that I have a bank full of and can replace pretty easily'.  The little rush of excitement when you had to think on your toes to try and survive a gank was worth more to me than the items I lost.

I had the exact same feeling. 

I also think this is something that a lot of people who chose not to play the game because of full loot didn't understand.  You'll have so much crap in your bank to replace anything you lose that dying really didn't hurt at all.  This is one of the things that contributes to mindless ganking, dying was hardly a penalty.  Not to mention the magical banks that allowed you to put stuff in on one side of the world and take it out on the otherside.   

You don't buy a single set of gear in DF, you would buy a bag full of multiple sets of gear.  The entire crafting system encourages you to buy and sell in bulk. 

The only time dying in DF hurts is if you spent half an hour running somplace and then get killed before you could bind. 

• elvrageelvrage Member Posts: 43

Which is contradictory to what really happened.  Niche doesn't mean failure, failure means the game becomes unsuported by it's developers. 

AV abandoned darkfall in favor of making a new game to replace it.  That's pretty much the definition of a failed MMO.  Darkfall fans have a stange concept of success. 

You called a city a keep. You probably played the game for 3 days, realized it wasn't HKO, and decided to quit. You haven't stated any of your problems with the game. You said that it was a failure, yet you have no reasons why. This goes for all of your posts. What made you quit the game? 

If it was the grind, I can understand that. If it was the full loot mechanic, this game wasn't meant for you in the first place. Why would you play a game that is full loot if you don't want to risk it?

Why do I play a full loot game? Darkfall is the first game to ever get my adrenaline pumping. Literally. There are times in this game where you'll be fighting someone and then your adrenaline kicks in.

Towards the end of some fights, my hands will be shaking, and my aim will start to fall off due to the adrenaline. What other game does that to you?

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937

I actually loved my brief stint in darkfall.

the only reason I didn't play is because I realized that the amount of time I was going to have to invest was far more than I was willing to give.

And I don't even like full loot games. However, in the case if darkfall, since you got so many drops, it really wasn't a big deal.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    Originally posted by winter

You a few hours into the game drove off a "Formation of heavily armored PK's on mounts" with your newbie sword and ragged armor? I'm guessing in truth they just left after getting tired of killing you again and again. Nice story though.

Especially when the mounts could kill a few hours old player in just a few kicks, and it would take that new player several minutes to kill one of those mounts, never if the player on the mount was able to heal it. 

I'm calling shinanigans as well.  I get the impression that there are some peopel that think no one here ever actually played the game, or played it long enough to know how things worked. 

Originally posted by Sovrath

I actually loved my brief stint in darkfall.

the only reason I didn't play is because I realized that the amount of time I was going to have to invest was far more than I was willing to give.

And I don't even like full loot games. However, in the case if darkfall, since you got so many drops, it really wasn't a big deal.

This is a valid reason. They are hopefully going to fix the "you need to spend x hours per day" attitude with UW.

• PsyMike3dPsyMike3d Member UncommonPosts: 388
    Originally posted by ayronamic
    ..and thats the beauty of freedom and risk. There are so many MMOs with systems that prevents such a freedom and risk, let DF stand out and appeal to the smaller crowd.

+1

Especially when the mounts could kill a few hours old player in just a few kicks, and it would take that new player several minutes to kill one of those mounts, never if the player on the mount was able to heal it. 

I'm calling shinanigans as well.  I get the impression that there are some peopel that think no one here ever actually played the game, or played it long enough to know how things worked. 

He teamed up with other players inside of the city. I did that all the time when I first started playing. I would yell PKs at so and so, and then five people would come running to help vanquish them. It's a pretty believable story.

Originally posted by elvrage

You called a city a keep. You probably played the game for 3 days, realized it wasn't HKO, and decided to quit. You haven't stated any of your problems with the game. You said that it was a failure, yet you have no reasons why. This goes for all of your posts. What made you quit the game? 

If it was the grind, I can understand that. If it was the full loot mechanic, this game wasn't meant for you in the first place. Why would you play a game that is full loot if you don't want to risk it?

Why do I play a full loot game? Darkfall is the first game to ever get my adrenaline pumping. Literally. There are times in this game where you'll be fighting someone and then your adrenaline kicks in.

Towards the end of some fights, my hands will be shaking, and my aim will start to fall off due to the adrenaline. What other game does that to you?

Actualy 6 months.  You'll have to excuse me for being up on my DF terminology, or for refusing to believe that the keeps were cities when they weren't. 

I don't need to state what my problems with the game are.  Pick an element, there's a problem.  Crafting?  Grind, grind grind.  Combat?  Magic and archery were fine, melee is the worst implimented mechanic you're likely to experience, even a lot of fans of darkfall have been telling AV that it was horribly done. 

Rampant cheating, which is what caused me to quit.  I got sick of people running and hiding in walls, flying around me with speed hacks, hitting me from outside weapon range in melee, or flying away when they got low on health.  And don't tell me that cheating wasn't that bad, because it was. 

Character development?  Grind, grind, grind, and a system that required you to be able to do everything or nothing.  

And I play a full loot game that gets my adrenaline pumping just going to pick stuff up in another station because just undocking in null sec, while you're at war with what seems like the entire universe, is dangerous and my ship and the stuff I'm carrying actually has value.  There's nothing in darkfall that compares to the possibility of losing a billion dollar ship, or the need to have intel in order to move around.   Darkfall really just boiled down to beat on NPC's to raise skills so that you could seige and pvp effectively after many, many months of playing for several hours a day because you don't afk macro, bot, or exploit bugged mobs. 

I could go on and on with about the multitude of things that I found wrong with the game, but I already did that 3 years ago.  I don't realy feel the need to rewrite what everyone here is already aware of. 

I think the most glaring proof however is that AV decided to scrap the game in favor of redoing it.  If that's not failure I don't know what is.     

He teamed up with other players inside of the city. I did that all the time when I first started playing. I would yell PKs at so and so, and then five people would come running to help vanquish them. It's a pretty believable story.

I did too, and know for a fact that new players could not kill a heavily armoured PK on a mount.  The mount alone can kill a new player in just a few kicks.

In fact I did the same thing to new players.

After spending days HARVESTING BUSHES to get a few mounts.  Most absurd way of aquiring a mount I've ever seen in an MMO, ever. 

Mind you, I'm not saying that banding together to fight PK's wasn't fun, or that PvP "in general" wasn't fun.  Just that I know full well that they didn't drive off the PK's as a band of new players.  They either left out of boredom as they most often did, or what really happend was a bunch of seasoned players hellped a few new players drive them off.  No way did a group of newbies do it on their own though, the skill system, gear, and mounts just didn't allow it. 

• killer128killer128 Member Posts: 21

I did too, and know for a fact that new players could not kill a heavily armoured PK on a mount.  The mount alone can kill a new player in just a few kicks.

In fact I did the same thing to new players.

After spending days HARVESTING BUSHES to get a few mounts.  Most absurd way of aquiring a mount I've ever seen in an MMO, ever. 

Mind you, I'm not saying that banding together to fight PK's wasn't fun, or that PvP "in general" wasn't fun.  Just that I know full well that they didn't drive off the PK's as a band of new players.  They either left out of boredom as they most often did, or what really happend was a bunch of seasoned players hellped a few new players drive them off.  No way did a group of newbies do it on their own though, the skill system, gear, and mounts just didn't allow it. 

It's completely possible to run of a heavy armored PK with a group of noobies.  I know because my friends and I used to get griefed for days by the same PK.  We usually managed to group together and we would lead him into ambushes where we managed to kill him. So it is possible to kill a heavy armored player in noobie equipment.

Darkfall Unholy Wars