Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Original Darkfall isn't really bad at all as it was portrayed

MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
Original Darkfall isn't really bad at all as it was portrayed .

I know it got lots of heat, but the game was great for what it was. Was more like a MMO elder Scrolls skyrim game.

Just without voiceovers. 

My opinion it lived up to most of the hype. Many of it still was missing from the original feature list, but here is DF2 which can once and for all fix everything.

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

Comments

• WhisperXIIIWhisperXIII Member Posts: 33
    Originally posted by MMOExposed

I know it got lots of heat, but the game was great for what it was. Was more like a MMO elder Scrolls skyrim game.

Just without voiceovers. 

My opinion it lived up to most of the hype. Many of it still was missing from the original feature list, but here is DF2 which can once and for all fix everything.

Not to mention thousands of people played it religiously for the last three and a half years =)

Elyse Leveque - Zealot
  • jake-offjake-off Member CommonPosts: 4
    A lot of the time the people shit talking the game were the people playing it religiously. I don't think they realized how that was hurting the DF community and keeping new players from subscribing.
  • SirmakiSirmaki Member UncommonPosts: 118
    Originally posted by jake-off
    A lot of the time the people shit talking the game were the people playing it religiously. I don't think they realized how that was hurting the DF community and keeping new players from subscribing.

Except when it was those of us who tried it, thought it sucked, and made "helpful suggestions" as to how it could be improved. Seriously, take away all the negative social aspects that some griped about, and it still had serious issues.

• TopherpunchTopherpunch Member UncommonPosts: 86
    The only thing I wish the original Darkfall had was more people. The great thing about the community now is it is filled with nice people. Not nice to PvP against, but nice and inviting to you until you become of age and are fair game to kill. I think my first day there I had four people say to me, "Let me make you a gear bag." That type of welcome does not happen in most games today. Sure they didn't give me any type of gear that makes me more over powered than I should be, but it is a nice gesture.

Come check out what I have to say on my blog http://civilgamer.com

Also check out http;//agonasylum.com for Darkfall player trading and stories forums

• UhwopUhwop Member UncommonPosts: 1,791

No it is not like Skyrim "just without voices". 

The combat mechanics aren't even the same.  The only thing they shared is real time.  It's kind of insulting to Bethesda to say such a thing. 

There were far more problems with the game then just some missing features.  When it becomes more feasible to just make a new game then to fix what is already there, then the game obviously had considerably more problems then just some missig features. 

You grind mobs and resources so that you can fight with other players. 

And no amount of "haters gonna hate" can change the fact that the vast magority of people that purchased the game quit playing it.  

This is also not the only game to offer that sort of PvP experience, it just happens to run considerably better then the other one on offer. 

And the claims that DF: UW "fixes everything" are a extremely premature.  Given AV and darkfalls history, it's probably wise to wait until the game is out and people have had the chance to experience it.  Even a good concept can be made into a bad game just because the people behind it simply aren't capable of making a good game.  Given that AV already made a game, that in concept a lot of people liked, but turned out to not be very good I would assume it safer to hold off expection. 

I tihnk it's much more truthful to say that AV made a bad game out of a good concept then it is to say that it really wasn't bad, given the reception the game received by people that actually want to play the concept. 

• thinktank001thinktank001 Member UncommonPosts: 2,144

I disagree.   DF had many flaws and was broken to the core.    UW is proof of this.

1.  It is a totally new game instead of an expansion.

2.  Many of the problems that the original game had are changed in this version.

The developers even expressed that what started out as an expansion turned into a totally new game.   Lets just hope that enough of the problems were corrected to grasp onto a larger player base.  

• FaleshFalesh Member UncommonPosts: 78
    Originally posted by thinktank001

I disagree.   DF had many flaws and was broken to the core.    UW is proof of this.

1.  It is a totally new game instead of an expansion.

2.  Many of the problems that the original game had are changed in this version.

The developers even expressed that what started out as an expansion turned into a totally new game.   Lets just hope that enough of the problems were corrected to grasp onto a larger player base.  

There is no doubt that it had it's flaws, as you say UW is proof of that. However it is still the best game I have played since Ultima Online. Looking back I have all sorts of strong memories about the things I did in Darkfall whereas I do not have the same visceral recolections about games like WoW, EQ and such like.