Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WoW is dying slowly but more expansions to come!

Blizzard has said they plan 3-4 more expansions after MOP. I don't see how WOW will be successful, they have been dying slowly since BC, each expansion has seen gains in subs with sharp declines 8+ months since release. I think they should do a graphics redo and gameplay redo for the next expansion, make the game play real time based on skill, swinging your sword and blocking with your shield all in real time, aiming with spells like an FPS but I don't think that will ever happen, the most they will do is a graphics redo. There are just so much better looking games and better MMO's being made right now. WoW is the same old generic BS, what we have all come to expect from a MMO, there is nothing new or innovative about it, it has spawned legions of clone games like the pathetic joke of a MMO, The Old Republic. 

So here are the WoW killer MMO's I think are worth playing, maybe not a wow killer, GW2 is trying to do that but definently, these will be better games.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNtB5DoJ6OI   Black Desert Online, real time sand box MMORPG being made in Korea, it will probably release in North America by late 2013 or Q1-Q2 2014. 

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/738/The-Repopulation.html  The Repopulation another sandbox MMO sci-fi themed, Free to play with paying options, going to be released Q1 2013. 

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/875/Darkfall-Unholy-Wars.html  Dark Fall Unholy Wars will have a redesigned game engine. The most intense full loot pvp game ever with real time combat and fps like combat when you are using spells with full ability to aim. 

None of these MMO's are the typical points and click no skill invovled BS that WoW is. I was thinking about going back to WoW but Im interested in these games, I don't think I will go back to it. I did play retail wow but I quit after level 35 and got bored, I also played on a private server 2 or 3 times before, each time I got bored of the game within 3-4 months and quit.

I get so obsessed with WoW at first but then it starts to feel so stale and boring. 

Comments

• azmundaiazmundai Member UncommonPosts: 1,419

slowly is an understatement, there have been a dozen or so AAA MMOs since TBC and WOW still has the most subs of all sub based AAA MMOs.

I look forward to my 2 months in Pandaria. Will be the longest I have played an mmo since playing wow for 5+ years. Actually played SWTOR for about 6 months, but thats only because a ton of my delusional friends were playing it.

LFD tools are great for cramming people into content, but quality > quantity.
    I am, usually on the sandbox .. more "hardcore" side of things, but I also do just want to have fun. So lighten up already :)

• mmofanaticmmofanatic Member UncommonPosts: 136
    Originally posted by Impeator101

Blizzard has said they plan 3-4 more expansions after MOP. I don't see how WOW will be successful, they have been dying slowly since BC, each expansion has seen gains in subs with sharp declines 8+ months since release. I think they should do a graphics redo and gameplay redo for the next expansion, make the game play real time based on skill, swinging your sword and blocking with your shield all in real time, aiming with spells like an FPS but I don't think that will ever happen, the most they will do is a graphics redo. There are just so much better looking games and better MMO's being made right now. WoW is the same old generic BS, what we have all come to expect from a MMO, there is nothing new or innovative about it, it has spawned legions of clone games like the pathetic joke of a MMO, The Old Republic.

You answered your own question. As long as Blizzard is making a profit off each expansion, which they probably do from box sales alone, then they will be able to keep pushing out more content. You also have to remember WoW losing one million players still makes them at the top of the charts. If a lot of games can survive below one million, even below 500,000 or whatever these other games have, then you can expect to see WoW around for many more years.

• ShadoedShadoed Member UncommonPosts: 1,459

So i am sorta getting that you don't like WoW? So what does it matter to you how many expansions they release if you are never going to play them anyway?

Other games with far fewer players and far fewer subscribers even given a slow decline manage to expand their games so what the hell does that have to do with anything anyway? Look, people will continue to play wow for many years to come if Blizzard sees fit and Blizzard have planned these expansions years ahead, it isn't like this is fresh news.

It must be Thursday, i never could get the hang of Thursdays.

• Imperator101Imperator101 Member Posts: 131
    Fine you guys can stick to that bubble gum cartoony point and click same old WoW mega grind BS, I will play a real mans MMO (The games I listed in my original post). I wanna feel the clash of combat, the intensity and adreneline , feeling my sword and shield pound against the enemy (you can play Dark Fall:UW in first person), WoW does not provide this at all. Pvp in WoW is running around pressing keys over and over while targeing 1 enemy, then moving onto the next one if you are still alive. 

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192

ummm expansions will only prolong WoW's life..

and continue its success

• DeivosDeivos Member EpicPosts: 3,692

Everything dies slowly.

Even we die slowly.

Unless something kills us.

In which case we die abruptly.

Same for MMOs!

They die slow.

Unless something kills them.

In which case they die abruptly.

There are certainly examples where this logic doesn't seem to work. Like there are plenty of longstanding games or niche titles that still occasionally get played. Board games and just physical activities are perhaps the longest lived sort out there. Case with those though is they die with us.

So...yeah. Have fun with whatever dying thing you choose to do. Be it Hopscotch, WoW, Disco, Lego, Chess, Comics...

"The knowledge of the theory of logic has no tendency whatever to make men good reasoners." - Thomas B. Macaulay

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin

• HenchdwarfHenchdwarf Member UncommonPosts: 517

how many goddamn expacs did EQ1 put out on the way to the middle?

this is just how things go. Except for sandboxes...

• LetsinodLetsinod Member UncommonPosts: 385
    Damn you owe me a new monitor.  I just spewed Coke from my nose laughing so hard when you typed Darkfall 2 the WoW killer.....damn you.
  • AzrileAzrile Member Posts: 2,582

Games with 100k subscribers put out expansions every year  or 18 months..  You really sound surprised that WOW, with 9M subscribers (probably 4-5M in the west)  plan to do expansions for the next few years.   MoP is going to sell 4M in the first month, probably 3M in the first day.... and you think it is funny that they plan to do another one. 

Just to put it in perspective.. that is MORE than GW2 has sold up to this point.   So if you are surprised the Blizzard plans to sell expansions, you must consider GW2 a complete failure since it sold less than what the WOW expansions are selling.

Not only the box price, but WOW also keeps people subscribing because of expansions...

Originally posted by Letsinod
    Damn you owe me a new monitor.  I just spewed Coke from my nose laughing so hard when you typed Darkfall 2 the WoW killer.....damn you.

I can´t believe people take Darkfall 2 seriously..  I mean.. come on.. the original was like vaporware.. that actually was bought by people.   Was talked about for 10 years, then launched to something like 20k players.

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380
    @ azril. >9000
  • DraemosDraemos Member UncommonPosts: 1,521

So here are the WoW killer MMO's I think are worth playing, maybe not a wow killer, GW2 is trying to do that but definently, these will be better games.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNtB5DoJ6OI   Black Desert Online, real time sand box MMORPG being made in Korea, it will probably release in North America by late 2013 or Q1-Q2 2014. 

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/738/The-Repopulation.html  The Repopulation another sandbox MMO sci-fi themed, Free to play with paying options, going to be released Q1 2013. 

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/875/Darkfall-Unholy-Wars.html  Dark Fall Unholy Wars will have a redesigned game engine. The most intense full loot pvp game ever with real time combat and fps like combat when you are using spells with full ability to aim. 

None of these MMO's are the typical points and click no skill invovled BS that WoW is. I was thinking about going back to WoW but Im interested in these games, I don't think I will go back to it. I did play retail wow but I quit after level 35 and got bored, I also played on a private server 2 or 3 times before, each time I got bored of the game within 3-4 months and quit.

I get so obsessed with WoW at first but then it starts to feel so stale and boring. 

What in the hell are you talking about, WoW still is kickin the shit out of every other MMO on the market.  None of the games you listed will even be a blip on their radar.  There is literally nothing left on the horizon that can hope to challenge it, save Titan.

• NitreNitre Member Posts: 37
    Originally posted by Draemos

What in the hell are you talking about, WoW still is kickin the shit out of every other MMO on the market.  None of the games you listed will even be a blip on their radar.  There is literally nothing left on the horizon that can hope to challenge it, save Titan.

dont bother with imperator1. he obviosly has alot of hate towards wow.

this one gave him away "None of these MMO's are the typical points and click no skill invovled BS that WoW is"

haters gonna hate ..business as usual.

• Johnie-MarzJohnie-Marz Member UncommonPosts: 865
    Originally posted by Nitre
    Originally posted by Draemos

dont bother with imperator1. he obviosly has alot of hate towards wow.

this one gave him away "None of these MMO's are the typical points and click no skill invovled BS that WoW is"

haters gonna hate ..business as usual.

I think he missed the memo; we're all supposed to be ripping on GW2 now... This discussion is so 2011.

• solarinesolarine Member Posts: 1,203

"Not being typical", though welcome, doesn't make a good game, as it doesn't make a good book or a movie. You don't need to innovate to make a good game. Some of the greatest classics in any field are in no way innovative.

Quality is all about implementation.

Originally posted by Badaboom
    @ azril. >9000

If you are talking about expansions,  it really is more appropriate to use the 4-5M number.   Probably 4-5M of WOWs subscribers are from China, and they don´t have to buy expansions.

At best,  MoP can sell probably 5M, because that is how many subscribers they have that need to buy it.   But it is also one of the impressive things about them selling 3.3M boxes in the first 24hrs..

• ghostfaeriesghostfaeries Member UncommonPosts: 89

oh, another "wow is dying" post. i love these things. they amuse me. it's funny how you say you only got to level 35 and you played on a private server... if i did that i would quit too. get max level before you say it's stale and boring. also, try arena or be in the top raiding guild and let me know if there's no skill in this game. thanks.

• dorugudorugu Member UncommonPosts: 184

so op have yu played the games or r yu just guessing based on the hype n perhaps moving images?:)

i can prove watever i want with rolling trailers :)

just wait and c unless yu claim to have been in the future n seen em take over the throne frm wow?:)

i personally think all 3 will b typical niche games n frm what i gathered theyre designed to b tht way.

a suggestion is 2 go play thm since yu think theyre so "great n awsome" but dun come ere complaining if they rnt :)

• doodphacedoodphace Member UncommonPosts: 1,858

"they have been dying slowly since BC, each expansion has seen gains in subs with sharp declines 8+ months since release"

LOL...what planet are you from?.....they were at 8mil subs in BC, then as high as 12mil all through wotlk and the start of cata....as a matter of fact, the ONLY xpac they have had where subs were lost was cata...me thinks its bedtime for somebody lol

The game has lost more players than the total of active subs every other MMo currently has, and they are STILL sitting at 9mil. By your logic, none of the MMOs you are currently playing, or have mentoned, deserve an expansion or content update, seeing as 9million subs = dead game lol

Epic :-)

• ShimpoGenmuShimpoGenmu Member Posts: 66
    dont care i have gw2 and archeage in the horizon
  • west715west715 Member UncommonPosts: 11
    Wow like any other game gets old after time but wow is a game that will never die. I am playing Guild Wars 2 plan on stay there for abit will not go back to wow to play mop. But will go back someday .
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,898

Blizzard has said they plan 3-4 more expansions after MOP. I don't see how WOW will be successful, they have been dying slowly since BC, each expansion has seen gains in subs with sharp declines 8+ months since release.

Of course they'll be successful.  Even if they get down to 2million players worldwide they'll still be profitable.

They don't exactly rush out their games, so who knows when Titan will be released and take WOW players.

For me, the only expansion I can imagine I might like from a lore side would be to go to the Burning Legions home world(s) and annihilate them.  Another interesting one might be to have the Titans (?) return to destroy Azeroth.  Kung fu Pandas?  Not so much.

• Johnie-MarzJohnie-Marz Member UncommonPosts: 865
    Originally posted by solarine

"Not being typical", though welcome, doesn't make a good game, as it doesn't make a good book or a movie. You don't need to innovate to make a good game. Some of the greatest classics in any field are in no way innovative.

Quality is all about implementation.

I agree with the sentements.

I would just like to add, their is a difference between being original and being innovative.

Being orignial is doing something no one has done before.

Being innovative, takes something that has been done before and improves it.

Games have had server merges in the past, server mergers are not original. But WoW (Because of it's popularity and age) is a top heavy game. Some zones have plenty of players but other zones on the same server are empty.

CRZ is not "Original" it's innovation. Selectivly merging zones to give leveling characters a multiplayer experience is a great idea for an older, top heavy game like WoW.

Server mergers are like a sledge hammer, CRZ is like a surgeon with a scalpel.

• ShadoedShadoed Member UncommonPosts: 1,459
    Fine you guys can stick to that bubble gum cartoony point and click same old WoW mega grind BS, I will play a real mans MMO (The games I listed in my original post). I wanna feel the clash of combat, the intensity and adreneline , feeling my sword and shield pound against the enemy (you can play Dark Fall:UW in first person), WoW does not provide this at all. Pvp in WoW is running around pressing keys over and over while targeing 1 enemy, then moving onto the next one if you are still alive. 

Not sure quite what you expected when you posted this thread on a wow forum? Did you expect everyone to bow down to your superior knowledge of what constitutes a good game and tell you that we are all dumping our subs tomorrow to follow you to the promised land and we will even drink the coolade if you want us to?!?

OK, we get it, you don't like WoW for whatever reason you have and the game isn't for everyone, but wouldn't it have been easier to just post "I hate this game" than going to all that trouble?

It must be Thursday, i never could get the hang of Thursdays.

• InSpectreInSpectre Member UncommonPosts: 42

Thanks for trying to save me. Many have come before you, all have failed. One day I shall awaken from my selfish delusions and realize there are other products called "games" that exist outside of World of Warcraft.

I've already pre-ordered Mists, so you were just a day late in rescuing me as the game shipped today so it's too late to cancel. I'll try not to enjoy myself as I now know that you won't be playing anything at all for the next 6-24 months.