Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Preview] Rift: Storm Legion and the Power of Choice

Comments

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048
    Originally posted by Myrdynn
    Originally posted by Xepo

After playing GW2 since headstart I popped in to see if Rift had made any changes recently. UGH! No movement casting and the combat system difference was so evident between the 2 games I'm not sure I can enjoy an old MMO combat system now that GW2 and a few others have made it more dynamic. I constantly wanted to use my "dodge" to roll out of an attack and constantly canceled a spell cast because I wanted to be moving. It felt ........ boring.

Rift by far would be an MMO I would actually sub to again, but as I played and went into where there should have been a large population of people I found a ghost town. Even the chat screen was empty and void of conversation. It also seemed like there were less shards to enter than before (as I never counted them previously I can not confirm this). I will watch from afar and see if the xpac sparks new life in Rift.

I did the same thing, went on the unlimited free to 20 and couldnt even get outta the first zone.  I had 3 50's fully geared in River of Souls or better gear, and now I just cant stand the way it plays

I played games that had better combat systems then GW2 (Tera being a good example of a persistant world environment to be fair) and I just really feel GW2 combat feels actually more clunky and stiff then rift. Take out the dodge and you got a dumbed down system over-all, which to ANet's defense, is kind of expected considering how dodging is meant to be a big part of combat, having complex systems in place would scare away more casual players which seems to be their focus in the game.

It doesn't help I'll admit too that GW2 I can just hit 1 and afk in many of the events and let my character have a blast doing it themselves. The combat just isn't all that 'smooth' as people make it out to me and the only reason I do stick it towards the game as a tally against it is the fact that Tera HAS a very fluid feeling combat system (even if that is ALL it has to offer) with that persistant world. I do enjoy GW2 as a time waster but Its one of the first MMos I've bought I just can't play for more then a few hours at a time and I feel the combat system is one of the biggest reasons against it.

• strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538
    Originally posted by Torvaldr

I don't think that posters point was there is a grind, but that RIFT has a ton of currencies and it doesn't need another different currency to grind out.  It needs a sort of currency consolidation approach to its design.

Exactly.  And by attaching its own currency, people will be running them over and over again to get the stuff they want as opposed to maybe running dungeons instead if they prefer that mechanic, or perhaps doing conquest instead if they like that mechanic.

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Originally posted by strangiato2112
    Originally posted by Torvaldr I don't think that posters point was there is a grind, but that RIFT has a ton of currencies and it doesn't need another different currency to grind out.  It needs a sort of currency consolidation approach to its design.
    Exactly.  And by attaching its own currency, people will be running them over and over again to get the stuff they want as opposed to maybe running dungeons instead if they prefer that mechanic, or perhaps doing conquest instead if they like that mechanic.

Most of the rewards for each game feature are similar in stats but are aesthetically different. It doesn't even matter because of the dressing room anyway. Its ironic because GW2 is being praised for the same thing and Rift is getting bashed for it here.

I can do any type of game mechanic I want, get relevant gear and customize my character's outfit because of the wardrobe.

• itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999

when rift launched, it raised the bar for polish and seamless launch for mmo.

now it seems they are going toraise the bar for what to expect in an expansion.

trion seems like they really have their head in the game so to speak.

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

Originally posted by Foomerang

Most of the rewards for each game feature are similar in stats but are aesthetically different. It doesn't even matter because of the dressing room anyway. Its ironic because GW2 is being praised for the same thing and Rift is getting bashed for it here.

I can do any type of game mechanic I want, get relevant gear and customize my character's outfit because of the wardrobe.

what if you like something on the Hunt Rift vendor but despise Hunt Rifts?   So no, you cant do any type of game mechanic you want.

And why are you bringing up GW2 here?  There isnt a relevant comparison, at all.  GW2 is getting praise because crafting, gathering, and exploring are alll sources of exp and whatever you do in GW2 you make progress.  Its not remotely the same thing.

Rift isnt getting any unfair treatment.  WoW got bashed for having too many types of currencies too.  Even people that love Rift seem to hate all the currencies.

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574

I resubbed today hoping that Rift would capture some sembelance of allure it had back in beta and shortly after release.  Sadly that isnt the case and I dont know why exactly.  With the upcoming expansion I should be all over it like white on rice but something about the game just bothers me.  Its either the UI, character animations, combat speed, run speed and bland setting,  or the combat styles such as going from instant cast to cast time abilities which looks weird.  I cant pin point what exactly but it might be all of those plus soemthing hidden stopping me from enjoying the game.

I mean not withstanding the stuff coming in the expansion, the instant adventures and group content should grab me but sadly none of it does.  It just feels and plays like a F2P bad game and not a AAA MMO.  Wish it wasnt the case but sadly it is for me.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

Originally posted by strangiato2112
    Originally posted by Foomerang Most of the rewards for each game feature are similar in stats but are aesthetically different. It doesn't even matter because of the dressing room anyway. Its ironic because GW2 is being praised for the same thing and Rift is getting bashed for it here. I can do any type of game mechanic I want, get relevant gear and customize my character's outfit because of the wardrobe.  
    what if you like something on the Hunt Rift vendor but despise Hunt Rifts?   So no, you cant do any type of game mechanic you want.

And why are you bringing up GW2 here?  There isnt a relevant comparison, at all.  GW2 is getting praise because crafting, gathering, and exploring are alll sources of exp and whatever you do in GW2 you make progress.  Its not remotely the same thing.

Rift isnt getting any unfair treatment.  WoW got bashed for having too many types of currencies too.  Even people that love Rift seem to hate all the currencies.

I dunno what to tell ya. Are you looking for a discussion or just complaining? Its fine either way. Id just like to know if its worth my time to reply anymore.

• MaelkorMaelkor Member UncommonPosts: 459

While I never played Rift at release I did play one of the latest pre release betas. This expansion sounds cool and is definately going in the right direction from my viewpoint, however, the dynamic content in GW2 is a bit different from my viewpoint than the content in Rift. Its hard to put my finger on it but I will give it a shot. The Dynamic content in GW2 is all about removing quest hubs and thus the background story of the game is instead put into the dynamic events. Rift on the other hand still has the background story in static quest hubs while the dynamic stuff is just a bit of extra fighting you can do seperate from the story so to speak. Although the rifts themselves are the story so that isnt completely true either.

What I would like to see then is more of a merging of the two systems which is more the direction GW2 will go I think as they have time for post release development beyond the minimum core features.  At the very least both games have gone a long way from removing the completely stale and static feel of a gameworld to one that is only partialy static and stale.

Originally posted by Zylaxx
    I resubbed today hoping that Rift would capture some sembelance of allure it had back in beta and shortly after release.  Sadly that isnt the case and I dont know why exactly.  With the upcoming expansion I should be all over it like white on rice but something about the game just bothers me.  Its either the UI, character animations, combat speed, run speed and bland setting,  or the combat styles such as going from instant cast to cast time abilities which looks weird.  I cant pin point what exactly but it might be all of those plus soemthing hidden stopping me from enjoying the game. I mean not withstanding the stuff coming in the expansion, the instant adventures and group content should grab me but sadly none of it does.  It just feels and plays like a F2P bad game and not a AAA MMO.  Wish it wasnt the case but sadly it is for me.

Thats totally understandable. Ive played games that i can tell are very well made and loved by many. But personally i couldnt find anything appealing about it. Its weird heh. Its just personal preference sometimes.

• DrealgrinDrealgrin Member UncommonPosts: 156

Trion really hates interesting people. They are worse with the ban stick than ArenaNet

Seriously, you say ANYTHING that can be construed as even mildly controversial and you'll get suspended or banned.

If you're a boring person who never gets mad about anything, then this is the game company for you.

Originally posted by Drealgrin

Trion really hates interesting people. They are worse with the ban stick than ArenaNet

Seriously, you say ANYTHING that can be construed as even mildly controversial and you'll get suspended or banned.

If you're a boring person who never gets mad about anything, then this is the game company for you.

You obviously dont play on Faeblight. Trion doesnt do enough banning.  Ive never reported anyone in my life (doesnt bother me enough to do it) but there are people who have been reported and should definitely have been banned but have not been.  I can't imagine what one would have to do to get a ban from Trion.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    more and more news from Trion. I wish other well known companies had the passion Trion has with its game. They are really working hard to improve their game, and by the sounds of it, Storm Legion will do just that, big time.

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381

Rift is one of my preffered games, after SWTOR and WOW (hmm, .. and now maybe also after GW2, but playing later only for few weeks) and I hope they stay for long with us with new expansions.

But there was one thing that make me go away before leveling all my alts to max. Their trademarks, Rifts. They are great idea but they require a loooot of players at any time around. And after few months after release this was no longer such case. But there was another problem with rifts that forced my hand to cancel sub. And that is that rifts many times occur in middle of quest hubs. Was real nighmare coming late from work and being completely unable to play for aprox whole week as I remember. At any time I logged back there was invasion all over area, all quest givers npc's were killed in seconds after respawning as were players. There was a zillion of mobs invasion. If there is not enough high number of players to close rifts, they expand and game become unplayable.

Ok, guess I had misfortune having all my alts at aprox same level and in same area. But this was very disturbing. After aprox one week of frustration after logging in, looging out, going to sleep ... i have discontinued my sub and never resubbed. When playing from time to time free version with new alts, same problem was again back, especially through summer. Nearly  empty servers, invasions all over.

For the rest I love all they did with game and hope they at least move away invasions from quest hubs.

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991
    After playing GW2, I don't think ill ever be able to go back to quest hub grinding again. Rift is a solid game for what it does. I have a capped rogue and cleric, but its mechanics, in leveling, crafting and combat...are just sooo tired.

Joined - July 2004

• RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852

Originally posted by Deeter
    Why does this game still have a sub fee? Why does any game still have a sub fee? Why can GW2 put out the same quality MMO without a sub fee? I don't understand.

Rift has more content than gw2 plain and simple. It is subjective which game has better content. Come november, it will have far and away more content and variety of gameplay than any current mmo. Maybe wildstar will come close when it launches but thats about it.

I have to correct myself on that last part since ffxi lotro and vg are still around.

Seriously?  GW2 is alot bigger then Rift was at launch.. It's not even a close debate.. Saying it has more content then ANY mmo is silly.. Sorry, I'm not Blizzard fanboy, but WoW has Rift burried when it comes to content, but then WoW has had numerous expansions..  I have no intention of going back to Rift as a sub based game..  I suspect that Rift will stay "as is" until after the expansion.. I'm sure they are hoping that content will bring back enough customers to make a profit.  However, I'm confident that F2P will be talked about within 6 months afterwards..

• halflife25halflife25 Member Posts: 737
    Originally posted by Rydeson

Why does this game still have a sub fee? Why does any game still have a sub fee? Why can GW2 put out the same quality MMO without a sub fee? I don't understand.

Rift has more content than gw2 plain and simple. It is subjective which game has better content. Come november, it will have far and away more content and variety of gameplay than any current mmo. Maybe wildstar will come close when it launches but thats about it.

I have to correct myself on that last part since ffxi lotro and vg are still around.

Seriously?  GW2 is alot bigger then Rift was at launch.. It's not even a close debate.. Saying it has more content then ANY mmo is silly.. Sorry, I'm not Blizzard fanboy, but WoW has Rift burried when it comes to content, but then WoW has had numerous expansions..  I have no intention of going back to Rift as a sub based game..  I suspect that Rift will stay "as is" until after the expansion.. I'm sure they are hoping that content will bring back enough customers to make a profit.  However, I'm confident that F2P will be talked about within 6 months afterwards..

Love comments like this.

When Rift was released, gaming prophets were quite sure it will go F2P in 6 months, after 6 months nothing happened,

And now 2012 and once again..it will go F2P in 6 months.

It is like throwing sh*t on the wall...sonner or later some of it will stick and then these people will say...'hey told you so'.

If someone is going to make F2P prediction every 6 months..sooner or later it will be true right?

• roo67roo67 Member Posts: 402
    I cant make up my mind about going back or not . The thing is I'm really enjoying Guild Wars 2 and I have a lifetime VIP account with lotro so as much as I like Rift I dont think I have time for a third mmo . Rifts a brilliant game though .I'll see how I feel closer to November .
  • f0dell54f0dell54 Member CommonPosts: 329

EQ2 has WoW burried content wise and they came out at the same time. So, exactly whats your point? Also, F2P isn't going to happen anytime soon. Next time you pull a crystal ball out of your ass you may want to clean it off cause all your saying is pretty much shit.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    Originally posted by BillMurphy
    Originally posted by Yamota
    Bah, almost nothing about PvP.

This call was ALL about the Dynamic Content they're adding.  PVP is for next time, I was told.  :)

Next time as in next expansion? Because Rift is quite a good PvE game but the PvP is quite weak...

• AlyvianAlyvian Member Posts: 342
    Originally posted by roo67
    I cant make up my mind about going back or not . The thing is I'm really enjoying Guild Wars 2 and I have a lifetime VIP account with lotro so as much as I like Rift I dont think I have time for a third mmo . Rifts a brilliant game though .I'll see how I feel closer to November .

its worth the time i reccon, especially as both the other mmo's will still be there and i think it is good to rotate games occasionally just to get the "ohhh shiney" feel back.

• ComafComaf Member UncommonPosts: 1,150

This call was ALL about the Dynamic Content they're adding.  PVP is for next time, I was told.  :)

Ahh so Storm Legion is slated for November of 2013, pvp comes after that then? ....

• cwerkcwerk Member Posts: 3
    Originally posted by Comaf

Ahh so Storm Legion is slated for November of 2013, pvp comes after that then? ....

It's November 13th, 2012, not 2013.

And yes, good work, Trion! Can't wait for Storm Legion!

• AlyvianAlyvian Member Posts: 342
    Originally posted by cwerk
    Originally posted by Comaf

It's November 13th, 2012, not 2013.

And yes, good work, Trion! Can't wait for Storm Legion!

also the  pvp he was referring to is coming with SL launch

• gboostergbooster Member UncommonPosts: 712
    Originally posted by Raventree
    Rift is an awesome game and Trion is the best MMO dev out there.  I am really excited for the expansion.  The only thing Rift needs is a bigger population.

And to make their game perform better. 1-2 second ability delay while trying to do progression content is extremely frustrating.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

Originally posted by halflife25

Originally posted by Deeter Why does this game still have a sub fee? Why does any game still have a sub fee? Why can GW2 put out the same quality MMO without a sub fee? I don't understand.
      Rift has more content than gw2 plain and simple. It is subjective which game has better content. Come november, it will have far and away more content and variety of gameplay than any current mmo. Maybe wildstar will come close when it launches but thats about it. I have to correct myself on that last part since ffxi lotro and vg are still around.
    Love comments like this. When Rift was released, gaming prophets were quite sure it will go F2P in 6 months, after 6 months nothing happened, And now 2012 and once again..it will go F2P in 6 months. It is like throwing sh*t on the wall...sonner or later some of it will stick and then these people will say...'hey told you so'. If someone is going to make F2P prediction every 6 months..sooner or later it will be true right?
    If Trion even hints at a Cash Shop that sells ingame items, I'm gone that day. I play this game because they have maintained that Sub fee. I pay for equal opportunity. If there is an item in the game, that I don't have, it's because I didn't do what was needed in the game to get it.  Going F2P would kill Rift faster than not.

As for this expanison. I am very much looking forward to it in my favorite MMO. But at the same time, I recognize that Rift cannot afford a flop of an expansion and we all know that's not an unwarrented concern.

On the other hand, this could also be Rift's "TBC" Here's hoping.