Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Max number of skill points?

Rhianni32Rhianni32 Member Posts: 222

Can we earn skill points apart from the 200 some on the map and the ones we get from lvl 5 to 80? Seeing some people talking that you can earn them after 80 by  earning enough exp but all those posts and discussions are pre launch.

Comments

• DraganBlackDraganBlack Member UncommonPosts: 10

You can earn an unlimited amount of skill points.

After you hit level 80 you countinue to get a skill point every 254000 XP

• XerithXerith Member Posts: 970
    There are a few items that require you to purchase them with skill points, so yes, you can earn skill points from now until the dragons eat us all. 
  • bunnyhopperbunnyhopper Member CommonPosts: 2,751

When you hit 80 you will notice your experience bar continues to fill up. Once it fills it will refresh (you still stay at 80) and you get a skill point. This goes on ad infinitum so long as you do stuff that would normally earn you experience.

So no, there is no maximum.

"Come and have a look at what you could have won."

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148
    any way to get back skill points?  spent one on a skill I didn't mean to, and now it will take 10 more levels to get a final tier elite skill.
  • Stx11Stx11 Member Posts: 415
    Originally posted by adam_nox
    any way to get back skill points?  spent one on a skill I didn't mean to, and now it will take 10 more levels to get a final tier elite skill.

Sorry the only way to get them back is to gain those 10 levels.

• Rhianni32Rhianni32 Member Posts: 222

awesome.

Thanks for the answer guys.

• sk8chalifsk8chalif Member UncommonPosts: 666
    Originally posted by Stx11

just go in every lower area and get all the skill challenge , problem solve

~The only opinion that matters is your own.Everything else is just advice,~

Originally posted by sk8chalif

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz... wha? oh hi, I fell asleep just reading the suggestion to go do skill challenges.

• MeowheadMeowhead Member UncommonPosts: 3,716

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz... wha? oh hi, I fell asleep just reading the suggestion to go do skill challenges.

... have you been ignoring all skill challenges?  D:  Seriously, by the time I was 30 and could get my elites, I was able to grab both the 10 point ones, with a good healthy chunk towards the 30 point one.

That's like wanting to craft and wishing you had more ore, then when somebody suggests mining ore nodes, saying that's boring and you'd rather do it some alternative way (Like map completion, I guess.  Or buying on trading post).

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682

Why would you not want to do skill point challenges? It's your choice to skip them and rely only on skill points via leveling. If the SPCs are too difficult, just  ask for help. A fair number of them are commune and you may get lucky and get there before the guardian respawns.

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• maddbomber83maddbomber83 Member Posts: 422

If you have not done all 200 or so skill challenges then you should.  Working on those will take you through lots of zones and you'll get discovery exp, poi exp, and you'll be tagging events and killing stuff along the way.

Doing this will probably net you a few levels as well, being even more skill points to spend.

I should add that if you don't like skill challenges or discovery exp, then don't do them.

Everything you do in this game gives you exp, so do what you like.  If you are into crafting, then craft.  If you are into PvP you get exp in WvWvW and I believe in sPvP too.

Dungeon runner?  That gives exp too, all of them, at any level.

Just play the game how you want to and you'll recover those skill points easy enough.

Originally posted by fiontar

Why would you not want to do skill point challenges? It's your choice to skip them and rely only on skill points via leveling. If the SPCs are too difficult, just  ask for help. A fair number of them are commune and you may get lucky and get there before the guardian respawns.

I never said I skipped them, but going to different zones just to do the challenges = more boring than the game already is.

Originally posted by maddbomber83

I should add that if you don't like skill challenges or discovery exp, then don't do them.

Everything you do in this game gives you exp, so do what you like.  If you are into crafting, then craft.  If you are into PvP you get exp in WvWvW and I believe in sPvP too.

Dungeon runner?  That gives exp too, all of them, at any level.

Just play the game how you want to and you'll recover those skill points easy enough.

You can't level off of crafting unless someone is feeding you mats or you spend real money.  The dungeons aren't fun, WvW is owned by 80s and the xp is crap if you are dying not to mention you'll be drained of money on repairs, sPvP I have always despised in all mmos that have it.  DE's get old, hearts are lame.  I want to get to 80 for a more balanced WvW experience, but I may not make it there.  Not that this is topic relevant, but really neither was yours, but I had to reply.

• StayonboardStayonboard Member Posts: 77
    Originally posted by fiontar

I never said I skipped them, but going to different zones just to do the challenges = more boring than the game already is.

Not sure why you even play then. If you find the game boring - uninstall and don't play it.

Not sure what your really looking for here honestly. You asked a question, got your answer but obviously didn't like the response. If you find the game boring, why are you sticking with it? GW2 isn't for everyone that's for sure.... just play something you DONT find boring.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by Stayonboard

Not sure why you even play then. If you find the game boring - uninstall and don't play it.

Not sure what your really looking for here honestly. You asked a question, got your answer but obviously didn't like the response. If you find the game boring, why are you sticking with it? GW2 isn't for everyone that's for sure.... just play something you DONT find boring.

i have bought TONS of games I ended up getting bored of within the first week.. i just uninstalled and moved on.. don't see any point in forcing myself to play a game I find boring.

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903
    Originally posted by bunnyhopper

When you hit 80 you will notice your experience bar continues to fill up. Once it fills it will refresh (you still stay at 80) and you get a skill point. This goes on ad infinitum so long as you do stuff that would normally earn you experience.

I had no idea that we got skill points for those dings.

What items are purchasable for SP?

• StayonboardStayonboard Member Posts: 77
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    Originally posted by Stayonboard

i have bought TONS of games I ended up getting bored of within the first week.. i just uninstalled and moved on.. don't see any point in forcing myself to play a game I find boring.

Oh same here.... Ive bought games that I've played for 5-10 hours and found out they really weren't my style so I uninstalled/quit and never went back.

I didn't whine about it on the forums though.... that's really what I have a hard time grasping I guess. Everyone's entitled to their opinions but the internet is now everyone's personal soap box as soon as they're unhappy with... well fuck ANYTHING. 

The guy asking the question wanted to know if he could refund skill points. You can't... you have to collect more. I have about 90 of them just doing nothing and I'm already level 80 with majority of my skills unlocked.... it's not like getting skill points is hard - but if I thought the GAME was boring I sure as hell wouldn't be playing it. 

You can't level off of crafting unless someone is feeding you mats or you spend real money.  The dungeons aren't fun, WvW is owned by 80s and the xp is crap if you are dying not to mention you'll be drained of money on repairs, sPvP I have always despised in all mmos that have it.  DE's get old, hearts are lame.  I want to get to 80 for a more balanced WvW experience, but I may not make it there.  Not that this is topic relevant, but really neither was yours, but I had to reply.

Adam....

First, I feel fine diverting the topic to you're problem as the OP question was answered with interest.

Reading your post it seems the only thing in this game you are into is WvWvW.

My favorite class so far to play in WvWvW is a Ranger.  My ranger is 21 and I play her with a defense / range style.  I'll often rack up 10-15 kills before a death.

The key to playing wuv wuv with a lower level character is to understand that you are a lower level character, and to not find yourself in the middle of a big melee.  Range is awesome for this, but melee players can work it as well by focusing on the edges of the battle.

I would also encourage you to spend time with small groups hitting up supply chains and camps.  At level 21 I can take out one of those trains solo.

I am just now starting to get my Guardian into some wuv wuv as well and we'll see how it goes.  In sPvP she does fairly well so I imagin it will be a similar experience as my Ranger.

As a note:

My normal play style is as follows:

- Do my Personal Story when I am at or over the level recommended.

- Do sPvP for a few matches to get a feel for my character.

- Do wuv wuv to level my character between personal story chapters.

- Do exploration / skills challenges / crafting while I wait for a wuv wuv Q.

I mention this because I do level my characters in Wuv Wuv as that is my preferred style of play.  I hit up the other areas of the game for some variety though.

• JyiigaJyiiga Member UncommonPosts: 1,187
    Originally posted by FrodoFragins

Check out the Mystic Forge in Lion's Arch (near the crafting area, looks like a big pool thing).  There is an NPC that you can use near there to use it, and another NPC near there you can use to buy things with skill points.

You will need to use this if you want Legendary? weapons.  There is a bunch of other stuff you can do with it as well though.  As an example, I think for 1 sp? you can get some philospher stones to transmute crafting materials up a level.  As an example, if you have a bunch of copper you can convert it into a bunch of Iron.  Usefull if your gathering ability is lagging behind your crafting needs.

• SteeJanzSteeJanz Member UncommonPosts: 334

You can buy items to stick in the mystic forge.  For example, there is one item you will need an item that costs 200 skill points to craft legendary.

The NPC is next to the mystic forge.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Miyani

I should add for you Adam that you should always carry supply.

Feel free when you have your supply, when you see someone lay down an arrow cart or some other siege equipment to jump on that.  Help build it and then man it.  This is a GREAT way for lower level characters to contribute.  On my server, often the true 80's will be the ones buying siege gear as they have the coin.

At first I thought about not 'taking' the siege equipment as it is not 'yours'.  But, the game has a GREAT mechanic for that.  The 'owner' of the siege gear (the person who bought it and put it down) can at any time 'kick' the person in it out.  So go ahead and grab it and if they don't kick you out then it's gravy.

Again, a lot of true 80's on my server do this and then run off to fight.  It is a great way to maximize your resources.

• FlawSGIFlawSGI Member UncommonPosts: 1,379
    Originally posted by SteeJanz

You can buy items to stick in the mystic forge.  For example, there is one item you will need an item that costs 200 skill points to craft legendary.

The NPC is next to the mystic forge.

Man I am sometimes reminded why I come to these forums during my breaks by posts like these. I had no idea there were items I could buy with SP's. 

RIP Jimmy "The Rev" Sullivan and Paul Gray.

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903
    Thanks for the info on the skill points and mystic forge.  I didn't get far in crafting and heard each legendary costs a lot of gold + other stuff.