Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

thinking of giving Eve ago but not sure it will work out?

kinky10kinky10 Member UncommonPosts: 215

Really want to give this a try, I've played practically every MMO out there and EVE really should appeal to me as I loved Elite and the X3 games but I'm just not sure.

I'm mainly a carebear, I do enjoy the odd bit of pvp but it's never been my main reason to get drawn to a game so already I'm thinking I'm up against it.

I know EVE is a complex game but I'm a mature player and happy I'll pick it up but if I'm not pvping I'm not really sure what there is to do?

Mining sounds fairly dull so I'm struggling a little, I've read I can go ratting but again not sure this is the PVE challenge I was looking for.

What concerns me is that if I get caught in pvp I'll quickly be toast (which sounds highly likely given some of the reviews I've read) and furthermore everything is then lost and your back to the starter ship. I don't know if I could recover from that as everything I'd  have worked for has gone, I don't have much time to play so due to real life committments so I'm wondering if this is going to be a dealbreaker.

It's probably the hardest death penalty possible (other than perma death) and this is all the more worrying as I will be a noob and that won't change for quite some time. I've read the golden rule "don't fly what you can afford to lose" but I'm wondering if there are other players who were in the same boat as me and found ways to enjoy this game.

All this when there are schemes like Hulkaggedon which encorages anyone to blow up anything no matter where they are?

Ok I guess this adds to the thrill of being in space and the no rules ffa open world but maybe it's my age or demeanor but that doesn't sound like so much fun for me, maybe I'm missing something but I just don't get griefing.

I can give it a trial and see what's what but before I committ to the client download, (my netspeed isn't the best so will take a while) I wondered if any like minded players could share their thoughts.

I've read various reviews some good and some bad so I thought I'd ask myself directly from the community.

Comments

• ChramChram Member Posts: 91

I would say I also spend majority of my time carebearing and I have never been killed while in a PvE ship (and I don't come to high sec very often). 

First, you can change ships more or less at will, eg. you can have a pimped out ship you use for PvE and another very cheap disposable ship which only purpose is to get blown up in a fun way. Plenty of people use those, it's not like you will not have a chance at pvp (but it is always better to find friends).

Second, griefing isn't that widespread and more importantly is easily avoidable - just don't make yourself a desirable target. Noone in their right mind gangs newbies missioning in battlecruisers in high sec.

Third, there is quite a bit of PvE content and plenty of career paths associated with it. The option akin to public wellfare is doing missions, which is fine until you figure something better to do. I would recommend doing exploration, which can be a great source of income (if a bit unsteady) and is ideal for diehard soloers, or, if you can stomach working with other people in a mmo, go join faction warfare. Some pvp in cheap frigates and great money to be made at the moment.

Avoid mining. And give EVE a try.

• sycofiendsycofiend Member UncommonPosts: 129

I was a carebear too, but surprisingly I found that I like the pvp in eve.  Getting into a good corp, with a training program is a good start,  you really need to to work wiht others in this game to succeed , that is a fact of life in EVE, and I think it makes for a better community (despite the fact the game is built on ganking and griefing, the maturity level is typically much better than your run of the mill MMO PVP server for example)

There is NOTHING like the rush of going into battle with an expensive ship!!

That said , I do also like mining, building, exploration there are really lots of things to do, and there are no rails, training wheels or saftey nets .. its all up to you.

I am sure you can get someone to give you a buddy key to try it risk free for yourself.  Message me if you want one !

Syco

• NicoliNicoli Member Posts: 1,312

Don't worry about losing your ship. The "don't fly what you can't afford to lose" is a statement ment to help explain that dumping all of your money into one ship is a very stupid thing to do. Basically if your looking to jump into a cruiser from a frigate don't sell the frigate keep it as a back up, same for Cruiser to Battlecruiser and Battlecruiser to battleship and so on. As long as you do that you will find that the loss of a ship will be temporarily very upsetting/annoying but you'll cool down hop into one of your other ships and continue on. However if you dump everything you can into a single ship losing it can be devestating as you will have to start back from scratch.

That said losing a ship in high sec is not that common and there are plenty of ways to avoid it.

• kadepsysonkadepsyson Member UncommonPosts: 1,919
    Originally posted by kinky10

What concerns me is that if I get caught in pvp I'll quickly be toast (which sounds highly likely given some of the reviews I've read) and furthermore everything is then lost and your back to the starter ship.

You can have more than one ship besides the starter one - the extras are kept safe in your hangar.  So if you lose one cruiser, you can hop in your mining barge, or any other ship.  Just try not to lose them all :)

• neorandomneorandom Member Posts: 1,681

back when i played eve the only times ild see people getting busted up in high sec was when they were running freighters full of money items for their corps, then anyone theyld pissed off before would gang up and blow away the freighter with cheap ships to cost them alot of isk.  griefing in high sec just isnt worth it 99% of the time unless its a scenario where you know you are hurting a corp by taking out their freight movers.

as far as eve pve goes, man was it boring.  sure the death penalty is steep, but once you play right you cant die in pve anyway due to anyone worth their salt having a decent shield tank setup or armor rep tank setup that can easily handle pve damage while making with the evasive manuevers or blowing up the enemy in the proper order or thinning out their firepower.

pvp is where the danger is and even in eve it turns into who has the bigger zerg force......

• mastersomratmastersomrat Member UncommonPosts: 373
    If they would make getting around faster and do something about training, this would be a great game.  I just felt like I spent all day traveling and waiting on training.
  • UhwopUhwop Member UncommonPosts: 1,791
    Originally posted by mastersomrat
    If they would make getting around faster and do something about training, this would be a great game.  I just felt like I spent all day traveling and waiting on training.

How long ago did you play?  Was it before or after they implimented the warp to 0?  You can travel many jumps in a rather short period of time now by warping to 0 instead of autopiloting. 

Skill training can be sped up by purchasing implants that increase your attributes.  3 point implants aren't that expansive and can speed up skill training by a good bit.  This is actually something I see a lot of people take an issue with, "waiting for skill training".   The only thing I could suggest is to not do that.  Most of my skills take 3 weeks or more to train, I'd go crazy if I had to constantly think of it in those terms. 

Instead think of it like this.  You have 3 days for a skill to complete training, that's 72 hours whether you play or not.  In typical MMO terms you're looking at a few weeks or a month.  Getting skills to lvl 3 is very quick, and with lvl 3 skills you can do most things with a decent level of competence, lvl 4 is great, and lvl 5 isn't neccesary unless you want the more advanced skills. 

EVE is definately one of those games were you can't look at "tomorrow", you have to look at it in terms of next month, and just enjoy playing today.  Even with travelling.  Instead of worrying about getting to someplace now, think of it as logistics and setting yourself up for tomorrow - I know I said not to look at "tomorrow" - .

EVE is a game that encourages you to sit back, relax, and take your time.  There's no benefit to getting anything done right away, and a lot of the game isn't even going to let you do that.  You've kind of got to play it different from other MMO's, putting your focus in other places other then when can you do this or that, or how long is it going to take me to get here or there.  You really have to slow down and take your time; get to know people in mean time.  Join a corp and chat, orgainize ops with other players, even if it's mining. 

Travel is actually a rather important thing in EVE, unlike other MMO's. 

However, I do understand that EVE really isn't for everyone.  There's no limit to the number of trials you can use, just need to create a new account name for each one.  So maybe one day you'll get the urge to give it another go.  I know many people that had to give the trial several goes before EVE finally sunk it's claws in. 

• Arc_XArc_X Member UncommonPosts: 38
    You could also consider Perpetuum. Although since you say your main interest is PvE over PvP, then this may not be the best route. Although less time since its launch in comparison to EVE so at least you wouldnt be nearly as far behind :D