Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Was "Awakening" a success?

Comments

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983
    Originally posted by Uhwop

I don't understand why people think that a game being developed by something like 18 guys would not be in the shape it's in. 

SV is the definition of indipendent development.  For all the people around here that complain about themepark clones, not enough sandboxes, and especially how the elder scrolls MMO isn't really an elder scrolls game, you would think people would actually be rooting for SV to make something of this game instead of bashing every chance they get.  

For all the SV are crooks and liars comments I see I find it interesting that sinse even before it's release they've been saying to expect a rough ride.  They didn't mean expect a rough ride for the first few months, they ment until the rough ride was actually over. 

They were even up front that this expansion was going to require a lot of patching after it released. 

Not supporting them financially is totally understandable, I'm not going to myself until it's in a much more playable shape. But good lord, it's not like many studios are even attempting to make such a game, the AAA developers sure aren't. 

Anyone that wants a game like this should be rooting for these guys to get it together.  Maybe if they're able to do it, a AAA studio will actually be willing to spend some money to make an evern better game. 

They may not be the best company out there -they sure aren't the worse-, and they may not be the best developers -in fact, most of them really were amatuers, which is kind of the norm for indipendent studios created by gaming fans-, but they are making the kind of MMO that I and many others have been asking AAA studios to make for a long time now. 

And the truth is, not one of you people who constantly talk bad about the game can make a better one. 

I'd also like to know how the expansion is going. 

There are multiple miss-statements of fact in that.  They blatantly never delivered what they promised.  One need only look to the "release discs" which were NEVER shipped as promised. I could go on, and on, and on... and have done so in the past.  There is no need to however. The public has spoken with their wallets and StarVault is reaping what they earned.

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• UhwopUhwop Member UncommonPosts: 1,791
    Originally posted by SHOE788

I don't understand why people think that a game being developed by something like 18 guys would not be in the shape it's in. 

SV is the definition of indipendent development.  For all the people around here that complain about themepark clones, not enough sandboxes, and especially how the elder scrolls MMO isn't really an elder scrolls game, you would think people would actually be rooting for SV to make something of this game instead of bashing every chance they get.  

For all the SV are crooks and liars comments I see I find it interesting that sinse even before it's release they've been saying to expect a rough ride.  They didn't mean expect a rough ride for the first few months, they ment until the rough ride was actually over. 

They were even up front that this expansion was going to require a lot of patching after it released. 

Not supporting them financially is totally understandable, I'm not going to myself until it's in a much more playable shape. But good lord, it's not like many studios are even attempting to make such a game, the AAA developers sure aren't. 

Anyone that wants a game like this should be rooting for these guys to get it together.  Maybe if they're able to do it, a AAA studio will actually be willing to spend some money to make an evern better game. 

They may not be the best company out there -they sure aren't the worse-, and they may not be the best developers -in fact, most of them really were amatuers, which is kind of the norm for indipendent studios created by gaming fans-, but they are making the kind of MMO that I and many others have been asking AAA studios to make for a long time now. 

And the truth is, not one of you people who constantly talk bad about the game can make a better one. 

You know Minecraft, probably the most successful sandbox game, was initially developed by one (1) person?

SV had the funds, they had the people, they didn't have the skills nor the vision.

Did you really just compare minecraft to MO? 

My brother is one guy, he programs 8 bit and iOS games, doesn't mean he can make anything in the UR engine.  I do know that he could make a minecraft like game if he had the desire though. 

• SaintPhilipSaintPhilip Member Posts: 713

You know Minecraft, probably the most successful sandbox game, was initially developed by one (1) person?

SV had the funds, they had the people, they didn't have the skills nor the vision.

My brother is one guy, he programs 8 bit and iOS games, doesn't mean he can make anything in the UR engine.  I do know that he could make a minecraft like game if he had the desire though. 

I LOL at the whole "if you cannot do it better" argument.

I guess you shouldnt complain when your car doesnt work properly because "you cannot makke one better" or if your Electrician overloads the power on one circuit "Half your house still works, quit crying- You couldnt do it better" or if your Roof leaks...Etc...etc...Etc..

damn man, I wish I had customers like you.

Originally posted by Slapshot1188

There are multiple miss-statements of fact in that.  They blatantly never delivered what they promised.  One need only look to the "release discs" which were NEVER shipped as promised. I could go on, and on, and on... and have done so in the past.  There is no need to however. The public has spoken with their wallets and StarVault is reaping what they earned.

Strangely the only fact that I pointed out was that they said MO would be a rough ride, that awakening would require a lot of patching, and that it's developed by like 18 guys; most of which are literally amatuer game developers as is quite common when you're talking about a group of gaming fans that decide to make a game.   Well then there was the fact that no AAA studios are even bothering to make anything like MO, or even sandbox games as a whole. 

I'm not sure how my entire rant worth of opinion, with the few absolute facts, was a "miss-statements of fact". 

Strangely the only fact that I pointed out was that they said MO would be a rough ride, that awakening would require a lot of patching, and that it's developed by like 18 guys; most of which are literally amatuer game developers as is quite common when you're talking about a group of gaming fans that decide to make a game.   Well then there was the fact that no AAA studios are even bothering to make anything like MO, or even sandbox games as a whole. 

I'm not sure how my entire rant worth of opinion, with the few absolute facts, was a "miss-statements of fact". 

Plenty of AAA arena deathmatch games- I wanted a sandbox...With sand.... With sand that works as intended, not clumped up mud.

When someone takes money for a product or service they cease to be amature. They are taking money and thus are "pro" and should act like it.

Originally posted by SaintPhilip

I guess you shouldnt complain when your car doesnt work properly because "you cannot makke one better" or if your Electrician overloads the power on one circuit "Half your house still works, quit crying- You couldnt do it better" or if your Roof leaks...Etc...etc...Etc..

I should probably point out that I spent many years in a garage working on cars for a living, and have rebuilt a few of my own.  And if that isn't enough, I've actually helped to build a couple of cars almost entirely from scratch.   

Yes, in fact I could indeed build a better car.  You might want to come up with a better analogy. 

Regardless my point stands.  I dought that you can get 18 guys together and do a better job. 

You obviously didn't really read what I wrote because I thought it was pretty clear that I don't play the game because I"m not willing to pay for it in the state it's in, and I don't blame others for not paying or playing it.  I only pointed out that more people, who want to play a game like this, should probably be rooting for them to get it together because no one else is even bothering to try. 

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983

I should probably point out that I spent many years in a garage working on cars for a living, and have rebuilt a few of my own.  And if that isn't enough, I've actually helped to build a couple of cars almost entirely from scratch.   

Yes, in fact I could indeed build a better car.  You might want to come up with a better analogy. 

Regardless my point stands.  I dought that you can get 18 guys together and do a better job. 

You obviously didn't really read what I wrote because I thought it was pretty clear that I don't play the game because I"m not willing to pay for it in the state it's in, and I don't blame others for not paying or playing it.  I only pointed out that more people, who want to play a game like this, should probably be rooting for them to get it together because no one else is even bothering to try. 

Maybe you can start another thread to discuss your philosophy on supporting StarVault.  This thread is actually about whether or not Awakening was a success.  On that matter, I would say that clearly it has not.. as the population by most accounts is at or near an all-time low and there has been no rush of desperately needed players.

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• SHOE788SHOE788 Member Posts: 700

Your brother could probably pick up developing an Unreal app or program faster than making a minecraft one by the sheer fact that both Unreal and iOS are C based while minecraft is Java based.

Don't give me this "boohoo it's harder in Unreal! It's harder for a MMO!". Part of Henrik's job as CEO was assessing what technologies they could use effectively and what would be good for an MMO. They were simply modders in Unreal and at the time they chose it, no AAA companies had even released an Unreal MMO.

On the other hand, Mojang was a good Java programmer with a simple vision "cave game" that expanded outward, creating one of the best sandbox experiences to date. This proves the age old "quality over quantity" and that when you have damn good developers amazing things can happen.

Maybe you can start another thread to discuss your philosophy on supporting StarVault.  This thread is actually about whether or not Awakening was a success.  On that matter, I would say that clearly it has not.. as the population by most accounts is at or near an all-time low and there has been no rush of desperately needed players.

Why?  My responce, considering I quoted no one when I made, was entirely based on what I read in the OP.  Sinse I'm not playing I can't answer the question of the xpac myself, however I can comment on what I read in the OP overal.  Which, as usual, was just a bunch of negativety to spur exactly this sort of discussion you and the other guy keep attempting to have with me. 

I don't really care what you think of my opinion, it's my opinion, I made it based on what I read in this body of the OP, I'm sorry you don't like it.  I'm also Ok with the fact that you disagree with me.  You've spent just about the amount of time that MO has been out making nothing but negative posts about it, that's fine if a little odd, but whatever.

I personally learned the hard way that there are much worse things in the world then crappily made video games. 

While I can admit that MO isn't in very good shape and that the devs probably weren't the best choice for making such a game -they certainly bit off way more then they can chew- i'm rooting for them non the less.  I want to see MO turn into something worth playing.  There is absolutely no reason for you to be upset, or for you to even have tried to argue the opinion I made; it was rhetorical in its context.

• aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387

Jesus christ! MO is a game, a commercial product, not a marriage.

Stick with it through the good or bad and the lifelong rough ride? Wtf?

What do the customer's owe them to deserve that??

Originally posted by aRtFuLThinG

LOL. =D

/bow

• deathshrouddeathshroud Member Posts: 1,366
    customers can walk away any time they want, so they should expect a rough ride but that doesnt mean that once they start playing they cant quit it isnt binding. Those that do stick with it do so of their own free will.

there are 2 types of mmo, imitators and innovaters.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by username509

Awakening + 2 weeks and half a dozen patches later is a success.  Just Awakening at release was a bit to buggy.

Mortal Online has been around for 2+ years now.  It's not going to "fail" anytime soon.

I wouldnt call it a success, that implies that they actually made more money than they lost on the game as a minimum requirement.

Not a total disaster either since the game still is up, but "success" is really taking things too far,

• Evolution8Evolution8 Member Posts: 128
    Break out the pooper scooper, im actually impressed the game lasted this long
  • HancakesHancakes Member Posts: 1,045

image  Please visit the MO section more often. 

• realnasterealnaste Member Posts: 98

Originally posted by Hancakes

Originally posted by Uhwop For all the SV are crooks and liars comments I see I find it interesting that sinse even before it's release they've been saying to expect a rough ride.  They didn't mean expect a rough ride for the first few months, they ment until the rough ride was actually over. 
    Jesus christ! MO is a game, a commercial product, not a marriage. Stick with it through the good or bad and the lifelong rough ride? Wtf? What do the customer's owe them to deserve that??
      Please visit the MO section more often. 
    Why? His logic is totally flawed. He responds to a post about a fair warning with something about marriage and owing something to someone.
  • ToferioToferio Member UncommonPosts: 1,411
    Originally posted by realnaste

Originally posted by Uhwop For all the SV are crooks and liars comments I see I find it interesting that sinse even before it's release they've been saying to expect a rough ride.  They didn't mean expect a rough ride for the first few months, they ment until the rough ride was actually over. 
    Jesus christ! MO is a game, a commercial product, not a marriage. Stick with it through the good or bad and the lifelong rough ride? Wtf? What do the customer's owe them to deserve that??
      Please visit the MO section more often. 
    Why? His logic is totally flawed. He responds to a post about a fair warning with something about marriage and owing something to someone.

I suspect he was being sarcastic regarding the marriage compare..

• EnergyoEnergyo Member UncommonPosts: 69

These MO forums are about as active as the official MO forums. Isn't that alone enough said?

• LinseshLinsesh Member Posts: 14

Referring to something on the first page that I cant be arsed going back to qutoe:

Scripters, developers, programmers - the term used doesn't really matter. For the record, most game development nowadays is scripting with a few 'engine guys' providing the low-level access. Everyone from junior programmers, designers and even some artists have their finger in the scripting pie. Unreal has something approaching a 70% share of the licensed engine market and many teams have released something that works using little more than Unreal Script or Kismet. Personally, I find the Unreal engine to be clunky and to have quite an expesnive scripting barrier: many of the problems I see in MO I would lay at the feet of the engine. Of course, many problems lie directly with the developers (SV) too - especially for picking the Unreal engine in the first place (what a stupid decision given their design). Bugger knows what I'm getting at, except that it doesn't matter what they do or what people want to call what they do - they're clearly useless at it. A scripter can be better than a programmer - just because someone knows some syntax and how to use a compiler doesn't mean they have a better understanding of how to make computers do things efficiently and elegantly. It doesn't matter if an artist uses crayons or Photoshop, if a dancer is in a wheelchair or has 12 legs, if a poet is 5 years old or 50 - what matters is the picture, the dance and the poem.

As for the question of the thread - the patch was a disaster, in my opinion. Don't know where to begin, except that the more MO adds the less it becomes. At this stage I'd say ithe game would probably evolve into something better if they just left the servers running for a few million years than if they tried to continue to develop it.

Originally posted by Linsesh

Unreal has something approaching a 70% share of the licensed engine market and many teams have released something that works using little more than Unreal Script or Kismet. 

Unreal Script is programming tho, can't go much deeper than that unless you have sourcecode access and want to re-write the engine. So there isnt much "more" to use than kismet and US for majority of the teams. Just saying because you made it sound so nonchalant :)

• NeoptolemusNeoptolemus Member Posts: 242
    Originally posted by Toferio

Unreal has something approaching a 70% share of the licensed engine market and many teams have released something that works using little more than Unreal Script or Kismet. 

Unreal Script is programming tho, can't go much deeper than that unless you have sourcecode access and want to re-write the engine. So there isnt much "more" to use than kismet and US for majority of the teams. Just saying because you made it sound so nonchalant :)

I think Mortal Online is proof that while licensing an engine saves a lot of time building the foundations, its not a substitute for good design and implementation.

Originally posted by Neoptolemus

I think Mortal Online is proof that while licensing an engine saves a lot of time building the foundations, its not a substitute for good design and implementation.

I think they chose a very bad engine for their team size and experience. UE3 is a bit difficult to work with when it comes to MMOs, especially networking. While bigger games like TERA write their own, SV stuck to the epics solutions, which proved either to be unsuitable for a smaller team to handle or bad.

• ShyaticShyatic Member Posts: 41

I think they chose a very bad engine for their team size and experience. UE3 is a bit difficult to work with when it comes to MMOs, especially networking. While bigger games like TERA write their own, SV stuck to the epics solutions, which proved either to be unsuitable for a smaller team to handle or bad.

From all I've read on these forums, SV didn't have the *ability* to write their own, because their lead programmer has no more skills than "modding", rather than being a real developer.

• HancakesHancakes Member Posts: 1,045

Oh please,  Starvault couldn't even make a working game patcher. The epic solution has been proven to work, it's Starvault that's bad.  Stop with the small team excuse. 

Originally posted by Shyatic

From all I've read on these forums, SV didn't have the *ability* to write their own, because their lead programmer has no more skills than "modding", rather than being a real developer.

Majority of indie teams won't be able to write their own engine for a realtime MMO. Even if they have "real" programmers. It's no easy task.

Oh please,  Starvault couldn't even make a working game patcher. The epic solution has been proven to work, it's Starvault that's bad.  Stop with the small team excuse. 

I am not making up excuses but stating facts. No other game uses it but codes their own networking what I am aware of.