Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This community has become too defensive.

GoruduGorudu Member CommonPosts: 79

I'm going to start by saying I love this game. My posts here and elsewhere have been far from negative. Sure I have my occassional complaints, but who doesn't. I enjoy the game despite the problems I have with it.

Now, saying that, my biggest complaint right now is the overreacting community. Not here, as the people on MMORPG tend to be pretty reasonable with reasonable posts. But seriously, I can't say A WORD in game about the current problems it faces.

For example, today I was wandering around in the Norn starting area because I thought it would be fun to have another character. In the map chat, I see someone being viciously assaulted because he said, and I quote, "It sucks that the trading post is still down..." This sounds like a perfectly reasonable complaint considering we are three weeks into the game and a major feature is still not working properly.  Then, when I tried to defend what he was saying, I became the target, and people went as far as insulting my intelligence for defending this poor other guy. 

Then, he brought up the complaint of a lack of official communication. The fact that we have to have a twitter account (which many don't have) in order to keep updated seems unprofessional. But, of course, if I don't have a twitter than I'm just ignorant (yes, this is what someone told me). God forbid anyone request that the client give us the news updates we want, or at least the game's own official forums.

I'm not sure why exactly, but this game's community in game has become way too defensive over the pettiest things. It's either because they've grown accustom to backlashing at haters, and so at any sense of negativity they try to nip it in the bud. Or maybe it's because people were so convinced this game would be perfect that they had to create a false sense of reality of that perfection, and any seeping thought of negativity would break that reality and leave their brains useless.

I'm curious to hear what you guys think and what you're experiences are. I've found my experiences here are much nicer than in game when talking to other people. Right now I feel like the community feels extremely immature when regarding the games technical faults, like the lack of communication and the downed trading post.

Comments

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    I'm not sure your point has a lot of merit.  This community's always been defensive, but in the time since release, I've seen a lot more hardcore fans here admit to ANet doing things wrong than they were in BWEs.  That's to say nothing of the overall response to that silly ad they released.
  • KingJigglyKingJiggly Member Posts: 777
    Originally posted by Gorudu

I'm going to start by saying I love this game. My posts here and elsewhere have been far from negative. Sure I have my occassional complaints, but who doesn't. I enjoy the game despite the problems I have with it.

Now, saying that, my biggest complaint right now is the overreacting community. Not here, as the people on MMORPG tend to be pretty reasonable with reasonable posts. But seriously, I can't say A WORD in game about the current problems it faces.

For example, today I was wandering around in the Norn starting area because I thought it would be fun to have another character. In the map chat, I see someone being viciously assaulted because he said, and I quote, "It sucks that the trading post is still down..." This sounds like a perfectly reasonable complaint considering we are three weeks into the game and a major feature is still not working properly.  Then, when I tried to defend what he was saying, I became the target, and people went as far as insulting my intelligence for defending this poor other guy. 

Then, he brought up the complaint of a lack of official communication. The fact that we have to have a twitter account (which many don't have) in order to keep updated seems unprofessional. But, of course, if I don't have a twitter than I'm just ignorant (yes, this is what someone told me). God forbid anyone request that the client give us the news updates we want, or at least the game's own official forums.

I'm not sure why exactly, but this game's community in game has become way too defensive over the pettiest things. It's either because they've grown accustom to backlashing at haters, and so at any sense of negativity they try to nip it in the bud. Or maybe it's because people were so convinced this game would be perfect that they had to create a false sense of reality of that perfection, and any seeping thought of negativity would break that reality and leave their brains useless.

I'm curious to hear what you guys think and what you're experiences are. I've found my experiences here are much nicer than in game when talking to other people. Right now I feel like the community feels extremely immature when regarding the games technical faults, like the lack of communication and the downed trading post.

I would rather have that than an offensive or simply a quiet community. Also, I don't find them that petty... They will admit when the is a problem.

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,306

Defensive? More like offensive!

Amirite? Amirite? Amirite?

*crickets

Its true, though.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• alexminoalexmino Member Posts: 132
    Game not as popular as people expected, thus they are over defensive because for some reason they think they made the game.
  • Angier2758Angier2758 Member UncommonPosts: 1,026

The client does give updates after each patch and on general state of the game....

The trading post concern is fine.... but when you said that I'd jump on you too.  If you ignore whats plain in front of you on the launcher then maybe they were right?

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,456

The community has mostly been defensive against the false informations which was used against the game by a minority of what I would call "troll haters", since you find those same few people on almost every new released MMO forum.

I definitely don't mind someone not liking the game. But I do not like people using wrong information to try to bash the game.

And yes, it sucks that the auction house is down again. I also remember being stuck in crouch position in WoW for 10+ minutes because of loot lag at release. I remember sitting in a queue for 1+ hour in SW:TOR. I remember catastrophic launches like Anarchy Online or Age of Conan. The AH may be down, but I can log into the game, play, make my characters progress, and I have no queue to log in, and the game is smooth and responsive. I always try to relativize.

But I will repeat, yes, the auction house being down sucks, and we should get an ETA as well as info about it.

Originally posted by alexmino
    Game not as popular as people expected, thus they are over defensive because for some reason they think they made the game.

2+ million games sold (and that was one and half week ago), the servers flooded with active players, all zones from level 1 to 80 active... and that even during work hours in the middle of the day? Seriously, the stuff that makes you hallucinate saying the game is not popular is good one, keep your supplier - those mushrooms are very good ;-)

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

Originally posted by alexmino

Seems about as popular as people expect and its busy during the middle of the day on a weekday.

What else were you expecting?  WoW to go bankrupt due to such fierce competition?

• fat_taddlerfat_taddler Member Posts: 286

I love how almost every negative post about GW2 or it's community starts with some sort of disclaimer to help minimize the backlash.

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380
    One instance does not encapsulate the entire community.  A few people in one zone, on one server, responding to one person. 
  • solarinesolarine Member Posts: 1,203

Of course the point has merit. To the point of being true. Most threads here as well perfectly demonstrates this.

But then again, this is not specific to GW2. Almost all major games' fans are way too defensive nowadays. Especially around launch. Close to launch and some time after, it's practically war. 

• YakkinYakkin Member Posts: 919
    Originally posted by fat_taddler

I love how almost every negative post about GW2 or it's community starts with some sort of disclaimer to help minimize the backlash.

I wonder why everyone acts like this is some kind of phenomenon specific to GW2 alone.

• MajorBiggsMajorBiggs Member UncommonPosts: 709

Your post was everything I wanted to say, worded perfectly. I can almost bet money that if not the first reply after this but maybe the one after will be a knee-jerk defensive flame that gets personal.

This is the reason I decided not to buy the game and honestly is the only real issue for me. Fans have ruined the fun and butterflies-in-stomach feeling you get when the game is just  launching. The people who are not open to criticism act as if their game is the blood of Christ, and if it were, why the hell aren't we seeing those kinds of results? "Well it's because people like you have bad taste/go back to WoW/yeah look how many it sold (if this is someones' only argument then they will soon realize how illogical it is)/...yeah..well..uh...F*CK YOU (runs off).

I've been told BY MANY PEOPLE IN REAL. LIFE. that the game can (especially if you work at it) truly feel like a single player game. I've watched them play it. Now....granted...To have someone throw personal insults at me about how i'm wrong is commonplace in any mmo, in any online community. It's just that percentage of appropriate response compared to inappropriate flaming response is much, much worse here.

• KenzeKenze Member UncommonPosts: 1,217

if you want to trash talk GW2 do it on the TSW and SWTOR forums like everyone else.

People playing GW2 dont really want to hear it in game. We, the GW2 players arnet logging in to your games (like TSW and Swotor) filling you chat with complaints.

Watch your thoughts; they become words.
    Watch your words; they become actions.
    Watch your actions; they become habits.
    Watch your habits; they become character.
    Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.
    —Lao-Tze

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by The_Korrigan

yes, it sucks that the auction house is down again. I also remember being stuck in crouch position in WoW for 10+ minutes because of loot lag at release. I remember sitting in a queue for 1+ hour in SW:TOR. I remember catastrophic launches like Anarchy Online or Age of Conan. The AH may be down, but I can log into the game, play, make my characters progress, and I have no queue to log in, and the game is smooth and responsive. I always try to relativize.

But I will repeat, yes, the auction house being down sucks, and we should get an ETA as well as info about it.

im a gw2 fan and i think ANET needs improvement

ANET communication and support has been lacking

• PurgatusPurgatus Member Posts: 342
    No we're not! ;)
    Originally posted by solarine

Of course the point has merit. To the point of being true. Most threads here as well perfectly demonstrates this.

But then again, this is not specific to GW2. Almost all major games' fans are way too defensive nowadays. Especially around launch. Close to launch and some time after, it's practically war. 

This is very true indeed. However  it's been at a level close to KILL THIS POSTER ON SIGHT (after him posting a criticism of gw2) for months and the past year, even two years. By two years I mean people weren't talking about gw2 as MUCH, but still the ratio of "someone posts a criticism = instant flame" was still extremely high. Not alot of "this game might be alright....I still think x game might be better at time of launch but....etc"

Originally posted by MajorBiggs

Your post was everything I wanted to say, worded perfectly. I can almost bet money that if not the first reply after this but maybe the one after will be a knee-jerk defensive flame that gets personal.

This is the reason I decided not to buy the game and honestly is the only real issue for me. Fans have ruined the fun and butterflies-in-stomach feeling you get when the game is just  launching. The people who are not open to criticism act as if their game is the blood of Christ, and if it were, why the hell aren't we seeing those kinds of results? "Well it's because people like you have bad taste/go back to WoW/yeah look how many it sold (if this is someones' only argument then they will soon realize how illogical it is)/...yeah..well..uh...F*CK YOU (runs off).

I've been told BY MANY PEOPLE IN REAL. LIFE. that the game can (especially if you work at it) truly feel like a single player game. I've watched them play it. Now....granted...To have someone throw personal insults at me about how i'm wrong is commonplace in any mmo, in any online community. It's just that percentage of appropriate response compared to inappropriate flaming response is much, much worse here.

Wait so you insult the fan base then wonder why you get a knee jerk response of "F*ck you"from the fan base.

Go to a phillies game.. talk crap about the phillies to phillies fans and see if you get to your car ********alive******** then talk about the GW2 community having knee jerk reactions.

• gessekai332gessekai332 Member UncommonPosts: 861
    i am a gw2 fan but i am not blind to the problems that gw2 has. It has lots of problems. What I do hate are people who only go to the gw2 to troll because they personally didnt like the game and are making it their personal hobby trying to run the game forums into the ground.  

Most memorable games: AoC(Tryanny PvP), RIFT, GW, GW2, Ragnarok Online, Aion, FFXI, FFXIV, Secret World, League of Legends (Silver II rank)

• chrisatronchrisatron Member Posts: 139

I made a thread concering this matter a few days ago, though It was eventually locked. I wonder If this thread will get locked as well. People need to settle down and realize that this game has problems, amoung lot's of other games. I don't know what people expected and I know that the DEVS spouted this game off as being different from the other AAA MMO's when at It's core It's the same. 

When people see these things, they bring It to the attention of others, also smaller things like the OP said with the trading post. It's valid and will no doubt get fixed, to be attacked by the community for pointing out such things is ridiculous. I guess like many people have said, this game feel's like THEIR game the holy grail that they've been waiting for thus anything said to slander It Is absurd In their eyes. 

I guess what It comes down to is... Calm down yo' It's not that serious. Let people comment on these flaws, the more they point them out the more Arena Net may look into fixxing them. Failing that we can waiit for the next AAA MMO to come out and we can repeat the process. However, that being said; I don't think that next game will have the same effect Guild Wars 2 has had on the MMO community, there's just something about the hype that a lot of other games won't be able to top. 

I'm glad someone else has picked up on this and has decided to voice their opinion. :)

Originally posted by Kenze

if you want to trash talk GW2 do it on the TSW and SWTOR forums like everyone else.

People playing GW2 dont really want to hear it in game. We, the GW2 players arnet logging in to your games (like TSW and Swotor) filling you chat with complaints.

[mod edit]

He wasn't trash talking the game. You just proved OP's point perfectly.

Also, you don't speak for shit, you aren't "we", you're you. Speak for yourself. Don't make other GW2 players out as being the same level of ignorance.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

Originally posted by The_Korrigan
    The community has mostly been defensive against the false informations which was used against the game by a minority of what I would call "troll haters", since you find those same few people on almost every new released MMO forum.

I definitely don't mind someone not liking the game. But I do not like people using wrong information to try to bash the game.

And yes, it sucks that the auction house is down again. I also remember being stuck in crouch position in WoW for 10+ minutes because of loot lag at release. I remember sitting in a queue for 1+ hour in SW:TOR. I remember catastrophic launches like Anarchy Online or Age of Conan. The AH may be down, but I can log into the game, play, make my characters progress, and I have no queue to log in, and the game is smooth and responsive. I always try to relativize.

Originally posted by alexmino Game not as popular as people expected, thus they are over defensive because for some reason they think they made the game.
    2+ million games sold (and that was one and half week ago), the servers flooded with active players, all zones from level 1 to 80 active... seriously, the stuff that makes you hallucinate saying the game is not popular is good one, keep your supplier ;)

False info? Everything's always false info isnt it? Can I see some threads where someone came into these boards and said "You know, GW2 is a great game, but I think "THIS" issue really needs to be addressed by ArenaNet before the game launches." And this community rallied behind him and said. "You know what? He's right, ArenaNet, it's in the best interest all of us GW2 players to have this looked at."

Or was GW2 created to perfection and each and every pre-launch complaint was false information?

If it's your opinion that GW2 didn't have any issues in the year before launch, I'll respect that, But I think there is a large enough group of people who can go back through these boards and find many examples of issues brought up that were quickly shot down where we can now look back and say...."you know.....OP may have been on to something"

• GoruduGorudu Member CommonPosts: 79
    Originally posted by Kenze

That's the thing. I wasn't trash talking the game, good sir. I was defending a guy who had a legitimate complaint. Saying, "Man, it sucks that this feature isn't working right now..." isn't trash talking. He wasn't saying, "Dude Arenanet sucks at developing games. This game is so easy lol. Meant for kiddies.", he was saying that it was disappointing that one of the features he wanted to use wasn't working after 3 weeks in.

• QuicklyScottQuicklyScott Member Posts: 433

Worst game fans I've ever experienced. 

You are right, a lot are too defensive.  The most popular GW2 threads are always "negative" threads where people feel the need to tell the OP they are wrong, their opinion doesn't matter, etc even when there's not a really a topic for discussion other than one person's opinion, the thread still gets a lot of attention.  Kind of sad really.

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870

Obviuosly the OP has never been to the EVE forums.  Try going there and telling them THEIR game sucks like how it's done here on the GW2 forums and they will skin you and eat you.

People protect what they like, it's simple.  To come to a game's forum, bash it, and expect noone to say anything back or retort is naive.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• GoruduGorudu Member CommonPosts: 79
    Originally posted by fat_taddler

Do you blame me? I'm not new to posting on the internet. I need as much of a cushion as I can get. And, considering the topic in this case, I understand the kind of people who can get on these forums and defend the game. 

Look through my post history and see if you can find anything that would make me seem like a hater of this game. I'm really not. I love the game. But when I point out a fault and try and get the people responsible to give me a reply of some sort, the community acts like I've committed treason.