Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I'm thinking of trying

I've played mmo's for a while, and read a little of star wars galaxies. i was wondering a few things.

-are the dogfights similar in style to the older lucas arts games i.e. X-Wing, Tie Fighter and X-Wing vs. Tie Fighter?

-someone told me a while ago, leveling takes FOREVER, true/false?

-being generally a fantasy gamer, but love the star wars universe (pre episode-1....episode 5 just rules) would it be a wise investment? or should i stick with my eq2?

-the housing system? is it similar to UO and can a new player actually find a decent place to plop a house down?

-it doesn't get rated as high as wow/eq2/guild wars/anarchy, what are some of it's con's?

Comments

• kaibigan34kaibigan34 Member Posts: 1,508

If your a fan of Star Wars do NOT play this game. I am serious here. Its about as Star Wars as House of Wax. They have totally destroyed continuity at almost every turn. My advice is stay away until they at least decide what time period they are in.

Kai

• ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297

Hello and welcome to Star Wars Galaxies !

Originally posted by DigableD

-are the dogfights similar in style to the older lucas arts games i.e. X-Wing, Tie Fighter and X-Wing vs. Tie Fighter?

Yes. Twitch based, hot-rod flying in some two dozen different ships, that you can tweak to hell and back according to your preferences. That includes multi-player ships.

-someone told me a while ago, leveling takes FOREVER, true/false?

Leveling to JEDI takes forever and is mind numbing boring. Levelling to any other profession template (out of some 40 professions !) takes a few weeks casual play at most and is quite fun. If you are a crazy grinder, you could do it in under a week. As a crafter in a guild you can master some crafting professions in as few as 4 hours (with resources made available to you).

-being generally a fantasy gamer, but love the star wars universe (pre episode-1....episode 5 just rules) would it be a wise investment? or should i stick with my eq2?

I think SWG is well worth playing. At the moment LA and SOE give the game a bit of an Episode III feeling with the next expansion, to ride on the hype of the recent movie. The timeframe is between episode IV and V  (but there are too many Jedi .. SWG is NOT the canon SW world ... wont work with all the player types, many of them NOT roleplayers). SW has its fantasy elements.

-the housing system? is it similar to UO and can a new player actually find a decent place to plop a house down?

Far superior to UO. You can find wonderful places to live in, both in the wilderness or in player cities. And you can make and decorate your own home, from the frugal Tatooine huts to large Nabooian palaces. You can even become a politician and BE a politician --> Mayor of a famous player city.

-it doesn't get rated as high as wow/eq2/guild wars/anarchy, what are some of it's con's?

Rating is still shot to hell from a rough beginning 2 years ago and some dubious decisions in 2004 (Holocron Insanity ... becoming Jedi through mindless profession grinding). The SWG player base is a pationate one - some love to hate it :-)

If you go for Station Access Pass, 7 bucks more for SWG and the other games (over EQ2 price) is a good investment indeed.

Cons:

a) more buggy than e.g. WoW   (but also more frequent patches than WoW)

b) bad customer service in the past (IMHO has gotten much better recently)

c) SWG has an alpha class (Jedi) that is about 50 % better than the best non-Jedi fighter template (but takes MUCH longer to achieve). That means profession balance in PvP in small scale engagements is dominated by Jedi, while in large scale engagements its not really a problem IMHO.

d) continuity problems if you expect a canon SW universe ( more references to Republic, Clone troopers and Jedi than you would like) 

e) Game is still shifting (profession revamps ... IMHO to the better ) more than e.g. WoW. Combat has been revamped completely earlier this year (and IMHO it has benefitted the game greatly, but some people were in uproar for a while as they had to relearn the game and many had to say good-bye to their doc-buff god-mode playing style). Game is harder now and grouping finally has its benefits.

If you plan to start a toon on Naritus (like many of the other posters here on this forum) you can contact me as Novarider or Delos   (for some starter help - stuff and advice).

Have fun

Erillion

• DigableDDigableD Member Posts: 71

thanks, my buddy is considering buying it as well, if only they had a free 7-14 day trial like most games. if i do end up buying it, i'll try it on the server, but i'm going to wait until i see what more people have to say ::::28::

A while ago they mentioned a free trial around the end of the year. Nothing else mentioned in dev posts about it recently.

Have fun

Erillion

• benasatobenasato Member UncommonPosts: 193

dont go to bria inless you like 5 hour dt's for real its down more than its up. ::::29::

Bria = overcrowded laggy powergamer server :-)

The place to go if you are a HIGHLY competitive person ....

Have fun

Erillion

• grapevinegrapevine Member UncommonPosts: 1,927
    Totally agree with not starting a character on Bria.  Its a good server to play on, but its experiencing an overloaded population that is affecting its performance.
  • ElnatorElnator Member Posts: 6,077

Yup they're trying to encourage players to move off of Bria. I even got an email about it and I don't even play anymore. (I have a couple toons there)

The game is definitely worth getting. It's only $29.95 so it's worth trying out. Play it for 30 days and see what you think. If you don't like it you spent less than you would have on Madden 2006.

Currently Playing: Dungeons and Dragons Online.
    Sig image Pending
    Still in: A couple Betas

• ShaydeShayde Member Posts: 4,529

Originally posted by Elnator
    Yup they're trying to encourage players to move off of Bria. I even got an email about it and I don't even play anymore. (I have a couple toons there)
    The game is definitely worth getting. It's only $29.95 so it's worth trying out. Play it for 30 days and see what you think. If you don't like it you spent less than you would have on Madden 2006.

Or you could just kick in another 20 and GET Madden. That way you wouldn't have pissed away 30 bucks.

Shayde - SWG (dead)
    Proud member of the Cabal.

imageimage
    It sounds great, so great in fact, I pitty those who canceled :( - Some deluded SWG fanboi who pities me.
    I don't like it when you say things. - A Vanguard fan who does too.
    09f911029d74e35bd84156c5635688c0

• ElnatorElnator Member Posts: 6,077

Originally posted by Shayde

Or you could just kick in another 20 and GET Madden. That way you wouldn't have pissed away 30 bucks.

Mind you, according to Shayde he/she/it plays the game currently(mind you, I don't believe Shayde one bit). So think about this:
    He/She/It is telling you the game isn't worth buying but he/she/it SUPPOSEDLY plays it him/her/itself :)

How's that for a contradiction? :)

Matter of fact Shayde is now even claiming that he/she/it plays in the beta for the new expansion.

So the game must not be worth playing. I guess.... I dunno.. I don't play anymore. But for the life of me I can't immagine how the game couldn't be worth trying when someone who claims to hate it so much is still paying their monthly fee and even volunteered for a closed beta for the upcoming expansion!

Currently Playing: Dungeons and Dragons Online.
    Sig image Pending
    Still in: A couple Betas

• GamerGalwoohGamerGalwooh Member Posts: 9

Hehe, I think I've ran into Shayde Myrtle at the MO a few times, She does exist ... she may not be happy there, but she exist. 

I have to agree with her, the game is getting pretty sucky now. 

Maybe the beta testing is hopes for improving the game.

• ShaydeShayde Member Posts: 4,529

I'm not on your server... but your assessment of the game is right on.

I'm in beta. Basically to preview it for my friends who are actually considering buying the thing. I've been in every beta and I give all the bug reports and feedback I can to improve what they do.

Hasn't helped yet.. but it isn't for lack of trying.

And the question of "Why do I still play?" Because I still have until November 4th of free time from the MxO takeover. Since you cared.

I used to love this game. I used to actively work to create player-made content. Now it blows, and I try to keep people from making the mistake of picking this horribly broken game up now.

Shayde - SWG (dead)
    Proud member of the Cabal.

imageimage
    It sounds great, so great in fact, I pitty those who canceled :( - Some deluded SWG fanboi who pities me.
    I don't like it when you say things. - A Vanguard fan who does too.
    09f911029d74e35bd84156c5635688c0

Player made content never sucks unless the creator does.

Have fun

Erillion

• GamerGalwoohGamerGalwooh Member Posts: 9

Originally posted by Erillion

Player made content never sucks unless the creator does.

Have fun
    Erillion

That was a lil harsh.  Are you an active player of SWG?

If so you would probably feel the same.  There is only so much player content you can add before this game gets rediculous, lol.

And sorry about the confusion Shayde.  We have a person on my server with that name :P

Originally posted by GamerGalwooh

That was a lil harsh.  Are you an active player of SWG?

Yes. Since 2003. Participating and organizing player created content all the time. And contrary to some members of the grinder community I never get bored playing SWG. Sure - if I grind most of  the time I would get bored too. And I think it is not by accident that the  "boring" remark usually comes from those who have fallen into the grinder trap (be it WS burnout or Jedi insanity).

Have fun

Erillion

• Azzurri15Azzurri15 Member Posts: 69

Originally posted by Shayde

Made me laugh.