Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Help Upgrade/Build PC for Darkfall unholy wars!

wyrdaskolirwyrdaskolir Member UncommonPosts: 563

Right now my pc: 

Win7 64 bit

AMD athlon 64 x2 dual core 2.7ghz

3.5gb RAM

9800 GT graphics card

(430W)? PSU?

Some cheap (ASUS?) motherboard

My budget is around is around $500 but I can spend more, I would just like to keep costs low since I'm a broke college student using my financial aid to get ready for darkfall.

I haven't looked at pc hardware in a long time so I have trouble knowing whats a good deal and such.

I was thinking maybe an AMD 6850/6870 and upgrade the PSU + CPU + motherboard? and RAM

Comments

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

Hate to say it, but this is looking like a total rebuild project. Anything you try to upgrade on that rig is going to be limited by any other components you try to hang on to. CPU will bottleneck anything, the video card would bottleneck anything. The power supply has a decent chance of frying anything new you add. The hard drive has a good chance of dying.

$500 would get you started (AM3+ mobo, AMD FX4100~ish, 7770, new PSU/RAM/HD/Case). In and of itself, it would perform a bit better (your AMD 64X2 is not going to cut it on anything modern), but it probably wouldn't feel $500-worth faster, and be more or less entry level.

The good news is, from there, you can upgrade from that new point and make the sky the limit.

• wyrdaskolirwyrdaskolir Member UncommonPosts: 563
    Ok thanks, I guess I'll build a new PC
  • VassagoMaelVassagoMael Member Posts: 555
    You should hold your horses there buckaroo! This game is as likely to come out in 2020 as it is in 2 months.

Free to play = content updates for the cash shop. Buy to play = content updates for the cash shop.
    Subscription = Actual content updates!

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    Originally posted by VassagoMael
    You should hold your horses there buckaroo! This game is as likely to come out in 2020 as it is in 2 months.

After Darkfall was "about to enter beta" in 2003 and then didn't actually launch until 2009, be skeptical of upcoming release dates until the game actually launches.

If you can wait a bit, it's likely that Trinity and/or Vishera will be a more sensible option on your budget than what is on the market today, and both are likely to launch for desktops in a month or so.  A quad core of either of those should be about ~20% faster than an FX-4100, and might not be much more expensive.

• wyrdaskolirwyrdaskolir Member UncommonPosts: 563

Alright I'll wait another month, no idea what those are but new hardware releases are always nice.

However I'm going to college soon and don't like using my laptop so I might have to bring this old desktop instead of building a new one