Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GW2 Going Strong

Comments

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951
    Originally posted by sonoggi

out of the 24 servers, 13 are full at peak times, with never less than 6 full and never more than 3 medium. this game is growing every day. this just blows my mind. im glad people are giving it the attention it deserves. at the very least, this shows that ANet made a FUN game. 

raiders and power gamers will question its longevity, and may play less at 80 due to a challenging and "unrewarding" endgame, or lack of pvp skills/interest, as evidenced by XFire stats. however, only a small portion of GW2's player base uses XFire (probably only those who care to show off their /played hours, i.e. power gamers), and a more accurate estimate of the pop would be server pop categories show in World Selection.

all in all, glad to see the game growing. im not even halfway through the pve content, and im already looking forward to new DE's (and current ones getting scaled properly, no sense denying it's a problem). i may be in a minority on these forums when i say that GW2 has a long life and a high user count ahead. see u in Tyria. 

I have absolutely no worries as to the longevity of this title. The Zam network has just put together a Guildhead.com website, they are in the process of fine tuning the Mac version of GW2 (which if everyone recalls is part of the success story of WoW and Blizzard games in general),  and we haven't seen the results of their re-opening digital sales yet but if my gameplay is any indication (overflow server almost all the time) then it's definitely not hurting.

Unfortunately this is so true.

Sheeple have successfully jumped on the "it fails" bandwagon about this title as well. It's a trend like any other, whatever is next will be the next thing they attack saying all the same things they've said about anything dating all the way back to EQ1.

Be careful saying anything positive about this title, someone might jump on you for being positive about GW2 Gforbid you actually give credit where credits due you know.

See you there :)

• RokurgeptaRokurgepta Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,136
    Originally posted by Thralia
    going strong till 09.25.12

Keep dreaming WoW lover.

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748
    Originally posted by Uhwop

Actually you're wrong as well.

The problem is that each person that made that exact same comment each have the same issue, a difficulty with reading comprehension.

The word MOST.

How about the word MAGORITY.

You see, not ones did I use the word ALL. 

There's mroe to reading then just knowing the words.  You need ot understand what was written, that's were the comprehension comes in.

If you actually read AND comprehend what I wrote, you'd see that I never, not once, said ALL things to find are on the map. 

I VERY CLEARLY WROTE THAT MOST OF THE THINGS TO DISCOVER ARE POINTED TO ON THE MAP.  Most.  Not all, most. 

Read it again.  Then understand it.  Then make a responce that actually pertains to what you read.

And once again.

How about you tell us just how many unmarked things there are to find. 

This may seem like picking nits, but you seem to have a misunderstanding of what "to find" actually means. While things like vistas and points of interest are marked on the maps, they're not actually the things "to find". The things for explorers out there are the hidden caves, hidden chests, jumping puzzles, etc. It's the dynamic events that you activate by interacting with a nearly hidden object. It's the secret Asuran labs tucked away in the midst of nowhere. The markings on the map are there to get you out and about, off the beaten path. But if all you do is look at the map to see what's there you'll miss a lot.

Oderint, dum metuant.

Originally posted by krakra70
    Originally posted by Rokurgepta
    Originally posted by eggy08
    Originally posted by grimal
    Whoa whoa, calm down there fireball.  He mentioned how he gauges the population himself.  I highlighted it for you since you appeared to have missed it.

Edit:  If you want some sort of numbers though, Xfire lists GW'2 peak playerbase on Sept 2 at 92,946.  Latest playerbase shows 50454 on Sept 17th.  That is almost a 50% drop off in two weeks. I'd say that's a significant drop in players.

Your basing your fact off a sunday play time versus a monday? Of course it would drop, thats a given. People have school and jobs on mondays.

Ok, how about this:

Monday Sept 3: 81,397

Monday, Sept 17: 50,454

Still a sharp decline.  38.2% drop in 2 weeks.

Again, that monday was a holiday. You can't count it. Its not the same comparison.

You sound desperate.

sunday sep 2: 93k

sunday sep 19: 69k

25.8% drop in just 2 weeks.

SWTOR had better player retention 3 weeks after its launch. And the worst is coming... (mop)

Hours played does not equal players playing. You can't base the game off of a weekend so close to start where everyone is trying to level and get a feel for the game to apparently 2 weeks later and expect the same results. Oh and that was the 16th not the 19th. good try thou.

Yeah I got the date wrong but you sound really desperate. Hours played is a good way to measure population trends (perhaps even better than measuring populations themselves). You can see if players are having fun by how much they are playing. When someone stops playing a game they rarely quit cold turkey. They usually gradually lower the hours they play until it reaches zero. You can deny it all you want but xfire is the only reliable way for us to measure player retention (server capacities can easily be manipulated by the company, having many high servers doesn't tell me anything really if the low/high/full keep changing)

He sounds desperate? You are here making the claim that the game company would lie about its server populations to make them always look high(conspiracy theory) and you have the nerve to say someone else seems desperate? Good god get over yourself. Xfire is the only reliable way? You sure have funny ways of proving things.

What's a more reliable way than xfire for us who don't work at Anet? Please enlighten me.

Also it is hardly a conspirancy theory. Back in the day the MMOs used to display exact numbers for each server, and not low/high/full etc. Isn't it obvious why they changed it?

MMOs as a whole did not show numbers. Some did. Making it sound like an industry wide thing is simply more BS to cover for a loser conspiracy theory.

How is Xfire reliable when only a small % of players use it? I have never used it so how reliabe is it for my play time to be recorded? Thank you come again

• eggy08eggy08 Member Posts: 525
    Whoa whoa, calm down there fireball.  He mentioned how he gauges the population himself.  I highlighted it for you since you appeared to have missed it.

Edit:  If you want some sort of numbers though, Xfire lists GW'2 peak playerbase on Sept 2 at 92,946.  Latest playerbase shows 50454 on Sept 17th.  That is almost a 50% drop off in two weeks. I'd say that's a significant drop in players.

Your basing your fact off a sunday play time versus a monday? Of course it would drop, thats a given. People have school and jobs on mondays.

Ok, how about this:

Again, that monday was a holiday. You can't count it. Its not the same comparison.

You sound desperate.

SWTOR had better player retention 3 weeks after its launch. And the worst is coming... (mop)

Hours played does not equal players playing. You can't base the game off of a weekend so close to start where everyone is trying to level and get a feel for the game to apparently 2 weeks later and expect the same results. Oh and that was the 16th not the 19th. good try thou.

Yeah I got the date wrong but you sound really desperate. Hours played is a good way to measure population trends (perhaps even better than measuring populations themselves). You can see if players are having fun by how much they are playing. When someone stops playing a game they rarely quit cold turkey. They usually gradually lower the hours they play until it reaches zero. You can deny it all you want but xfire is the only reliable way for us to measure player retention (server capacities can easily be manipulated by the company, having many high servers doesn't tell me anything really if the low/high/full keep changing)

So your saying that when you buy a game, you never tend to play it more the very first week than any other? Thats a laugh. That was the first week it was out, of course that weekend will be skewed far out of proportion to the rest of the weeks. If that number just slowly degrades and never normalizes then theres a problem, but as you can see, its hardly moving from day to day from the last week. And you can't base these numbers off of anything since noone knows how many players have xfire installed and play GW2 as basis to the entire population.

No. I'm saying that games that were a success (like WoW, EQ, DAoC etc) peaked a few years after their launch, games that were failures (SWTOR, WAR, TERA, as it seems GW2 and of course many others) peaked a few days/weeks after their launch (8 days in GW2's case). If GW2 was a success you would see a rise in numbers right now, not a drop.

You're still basing facts off of hours played, not players playing, players using a specific program. If you honestly don't believe me I'm sure if you can find the numbers from WoW Cata from release to the first few weeks you would see the exact same trend. I don't get why you assume WoW was ever a special case to this peak on release to a drop in the next few as far as hours played on certain days.

• vee41vee41 Member Posts: 191

No. I'm saying that games that were a success (like WoW, EQ, DAoC etc) peaked a few years after their launch, games that were failures (SWTOR, WAR, TERA, as it seems GW2 and of course many others) peaked a few days/weeks after their launch (8 days in GW2's case). If GW2 was a success you would see a rise in numbers right now, not a drop.

?? That makes no sense.  If a game has to peak a few years after release for it to be a success but those that havent even been out a year are considered failure because hey, you know, they haven't reached that multiyear peak because, you know, they are less than a year old.....????

If you want to compare by xfire numbers, compare it to other MMO's. Compared to other MMO's GW2 has been pretty steady, holding anywhere between 55% and 45% of MMO play hours. Comparing single MMO numbers you'll see same sort of variance in every game due weekends, holidays etc. 

Aaand play hours are just play hours, player counts matter more. And XFire pretty much sucks. Yeah.

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731

Guys...  Xfire is confirmed shit to me... simple reason

http://beta.xfire.com/games/eve

says there are currently 700 ish players (roughly), download the game launcher...~37000 players on right now, trolls have fun failing but with that massive a hole at least in the EU side of things says many things about your so called arguments... hell lets for fun say the ratio of guild wars 2 players on xfire to guild wars 2 players on is the same that means the current xfire population is 1/50th the actual population, enjoy gents.

• UhwopUhwop Member UncommonPosts: 1,791
    Originally posted by Uhwop
    Originally posted by Volkon

I have to wonder how many hidden chests, hidden caves, jumping puzzles, secret labs etc. you guys are missing on because you actually think everything is on the map.

So there are things actually not on the map?   Unheard of in an MMO before!

Edit: In all seriousness, I wouldn't have any idea.  I don't like to "cheat" by searching for solutions/maps online so how could I tell?

He means things that are not MARKED, like some of you seem to think that GW2 marked everything. he is not talking about cheats or finding solutions online, he is saying if you people actually explored the maps, instead of saying there is no reason to explore, you find a lot of stuff you clearly do not know exists. FFS.

Actually you're wrong as well.

The problem is that each person that made that exact same comment each have the same issue, a difficulty with reading comprehension.

The word MOST.

How about the word MAGORITY.

You see, not ones did I use the word ALL. 

There's mroe to reading then just knowing the words.  You need ot understand what was written, that's were the comprehension comes in.

If you actually read AND comprehend what I wrote, you'd see that I never, not once, said ALL things to find are on the map. 

I VERY CLEARLY WROTE THAT MOST OF THE THINGS TO DISCOVER ARE POINTED TO ON THE MAP.  Most.  Not all, most. 

Read it again.  Then understand it.  Then make a responce that actually pertains to what you read.

And once again.

How about you tell us just how many unmarked things there are to find. 

How would I know the exact number unless I find all of them? [mod edit]

There it is again. 

You didn't read it all did you?  You must not have, because you're responce doesn't actually show you did.

Most is not all.

Magority is not all.

How about just tell us how many you found.  I'm well aware that the points on the map aren't all of the points, which would be why I didn't use the word all in any one of the posts I made.  That would be why I used the word MOST and MAGORITY, because I'm well aware there are things not on the map.

I didn't imply anything in my post, and I was pretty clear so there was no reason for you or anyone else to make an assumption. 

Respond to what was writen, not what you wanted to read. 

[mod edit]

Oddly enough, I spend a few hours today playing GW2.  Strange thing to do for a hater I think.  Or maybe you missed the part were I pointed out it wasn't a bad game, actually I think it's a pretty good game. 

However, I'm not jaded.  I'm not a sheep.  I have nothing to gain from praising  the game.  I'm aware of faults as they apply to ME.  As an artist, critique is something I'm VERY familliar with, it's something I expect to recieve, and it's something I'm pretty comfottible in giving. 

Believe it or not, even something that is good can recieve critique.  That's how it works.  Get over it already.  The game isn't going away because I made a simple observation. [mod edit]

• krakra70krakra70 Member Posts: 122

Ok, how about this:

You sound desperate.

So your saying that when you buy a game, you never tend to play it more the very first week than any other? Thats a laugh. That was the first week it was out, of course that weekend will be skewed far out of proportion to the rest of the weeks. If that number just slowly degrades and never normalizes then theres a problem, but as you can see, its hardly moving from day to day from the last week. And you can't base these numbers off of anything since noone knows how many players have xfire installed and play GW2 as basis to the entire population.

You're still basing facts off of hours played, not players playing, players using a specific program. If you honestly don't believe me I'm sure if you can find the numbers from WoW Cata from release to the first few weeks you would see the exact same trend. I don't get why you assume WoW was ever a special case to this peak on release to a drop in the next few as far as hours played on certain days.

I just explained to you how hours played is reliable in my other post. Do you even read my posts?

And yes the wow cata numbers are similar because WoW reached its peak a few months after WOTLK launch (in 2009, 5 years after its launch) and is steadily losing subscribers since then, and GW2 is steadily losing players as well. 

Originally posted by Dihoru
    [mod edit]

I am ignoring people who don't know how statistics and polling work. Go read the basics in wikipedia and come back to us :)

• deamiandeamian Member UncommonPosts: 66

I get major tunnel vision because of all the awesome, and then I do read chat when I settle down to sell things, and in chat I see someone talking about how anti social the game is. It really isn't. There is just so much to look at and be captivated by.

Also, I didn't log in for the first time yesterday, not even for a second and it felt so nice not to think about a sub fee, and just play Borderlands 2 because I felt like it.

Variety the spice of life, and food, and gaming, but not marriage.

And I see krakra is ignoring any posts which prove him wrong, gg old chap, cram you head up there harder.

I am ignoring people who don't know how statistics and polling work. Go read the basics in wikipedia and come back to us :)

Yes but in the meantime you are using a number that is a small slice of the whole and trying to claim it represents everyone. People can make any claim they want, you are certainly doing just that.

And I see krakra is ignoring any posts which prove him wrong, gg old chap, cram you head up there harder.

[mod edit]

People from Xfire are pulled as an entire community, not as a portion, so you can't base numbers off of a certain playerbase, since the numbers don't represent random players, they represent an entire community as a whole. A representation that can easily be skewed if the player neglects to use said program to track his time. Not only that but a completely different program than what is required to play the game at all.

You can't base these numbers off of specific jumps in time, due to obvious reasons. That's like saying that Iphone 5 sales numbers dropping from release to 3 weeks later shows that the iphone 5 is a failure and all iphones are going downhill.

Any good statician would throw these numbers out in a heart beat because you can't make a basis off of it. They are just numbers, any conclusion you try to base off of this premise is just complete and udder BS.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

I just explained to you how hours played is reliable in my other post. Do you even read my posts?

And yes the wow cata numbers are similar because WoW reached its peak a few months after WOTLK launch (in 2009, 5 years after its launch) and is steadily losing subscribers since then, and GW2 is steadily losing players as well. 

Oh boy fans of game X arguing against Xfire.... Xfire is the most accurate tool we have in gauging trends in a gaming community. Is it perfect? No, not at all, but well with in acceptable magins of error.

It's a bitter pill to swallow, but Xfire predicted the down turn of WoW, RIFT, Swtor, and TSW. In the case of TSW, we knew there was something really starnge going on. The launch sales projections did not match the hours played of games with 800k+ subs.  A bitter pill indeed. 

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"

Yes but in the meantime you are using a number that is a small slice of the whole and trying to claim it represents everyone. People can make any claim they want, you are certainly doing just that.

Let me explain to you and Dihorou why xfire is reliable: The people playing xfire are a group of people which doesn't change much over time (few people start and few stop using it, but the changes are small). This group is large enough to be statistically accurate(11k people are playing gw2 right now, many scientific polls are being done with 5k people or even less). So when you observe this group start playing a game and then changing to another game you can safely assume the general population is doing the same thing.

But you might say: How can WoW have 6k people on xfire and gw2 11k when we know that wow has 9 mil players and gw2 only ~2? Isn't that wrong? 

The answer is: Don't look at the number of people playing. Look at how many hours they play, and look at the weekly changes of each game individually, look at the population shifts and trends. 

• halflife25halflife25 Member Posts: 737

Ok this topic has gone completely off topic into flaming and personal attacks. Regardless of what you guys are arguing about, fact is that it is too soon to predict doom for GW2 or call it the most successful MMO ever.

Yes GW2 sold 2 million boxes but  so did SWTOR. MMOS are horses of long race, only after 5 to 6 months we can know how is the player retention. And before someone says 'but but..there is no monthly fee.'

Just remember that player retention is as important for Anet because they want people to spend money in cash shop and also buy expansions in future. Less players on servers mean server merges.

OP knew the reactions he will get...and he was successul in baiting.

Let me explain to you and Dihorou why xfire is reliable: The people playing xfire are a group of people which doesn't change much over time (few people start and few stop using it, but the changes are small). This group is large enough to be statistically accurate(11k people are playing gw2 right now, many scientific polls are being done with 5k people or even less). So when you observe this group start playing a game and then changing to another game you can safely assume the general population is doing the same thing.

But you might say: How can WoW have 6k people on xfire and gw2 11k when we know that wow has 9 mil players and gw2 only ~2? Isn't that wrong? 

The answer is: Don't look at the number of people playing. Look at how many hours they play, and look at the weekly changes of each game individually, look at the population shifts and trends. 

Do you consider the people who use Xfire to be more hardcore gamers or more casual users?

[mod edit] you're basically saying that Xfire users are a representative portion of the playerbase... I used Xfire in the past for about a month, it was fucking with my games an their FPS so I uninstalled it. You are also saying that a site which supplies less than half of the playerbase is an accurate way to gauge the game... [mod edit]

Hmmm.... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xfire so 250000 gamers out of how many millions is an accurate gauge for you? good to know.

Originally posted by halflife25

Ok this topic has gone completely off topic into flaming and personal attacks. Regardless of what you guys are arguing about, fact is that it is too soon to predict doom for GW2 or call it the most successful MMO ever.

Yes GW2 sold 2 million boxes but  so did SWTOR. MMOS are horses of long race, only after 5 to 6 months we can know how is the player retention. And before someone says 'but but..there is no monthly fee.'

Just remember that player retention is as important for Anet because they want people to spend money in cash shop and also buy expansions in future. Less players on servers mean server merges.

Why can't GW2 but a decent medium? Why does it have to serve one side of the spectrum as opposed to the other? This is what I don't get. I'm a fan of the game but I don't get why people automatically assume that the game is either a massive success or a huge failure. I assume it will fall in the middle. Where it still keeps a major portion of it's playerbase but not to the point that, and this is mainly haters who say this, it is the second coming.

Do you consider the people who use Xfire to be more hardcore gamers or more casual users?

It doesn't matter.

Xfire users represent a cross segement of players in the same way that official forum posters do.

A studio doesn't ask people if they're hardcore or not when they look on their forums to guage player opinion.  They also use forum posts of far fewer then 11k people to judge things about their players.

It's supposed to be something like 1-2% of a games players actually visit the forums, yet developers use that incredibly small cross segement to find things out.   If 200 people on a forum is enough to tell a studio something, why would you think that 11k people on Xfire isn't?

Also, the medication I take for my nerves was only tested on something like 500 people to determine the rate of side effects. You don't need large numbers to get statistically relevant information about stuff. 

Good question. The numbers for yesterday say 50k hours for 12k players  so they average ~4.3 hours. So I guess most are hardcore players.

• halflife25halflife25 Member Posts: 737
    Originally posted by halflife25

Why can't GW2 but a decent medium? Why does it have to serve one side of the spectrum as opposed to the other? This is what I don't get. I'm a fan of the game but I don't get why people automatically assume that the game is either a massive success or a huge failure. I assume it will fall in the middle. Where it still keeps a major portion of it's playerbase but not to the point that, and this is mainly haters who say this, it is the second coming.

Because a lot of MMOS are in the middle, but that would mean 'average', something not acceptable by fans who want it to be super duper success and haters who want it to be an utter failure.

• tordurbartordurbar Member UncommonPosts: 421
    I am still playing it but I have seen a definite drop off in the number of players that  I encounter - even at peak playing times. I am still playing in the 15-30 zones. The zerg has passed these zones so I am not surprised by the drop off. I am pleasantly surprised that the zones are not ghost zones but it is getting harder to clear quest areas because of the lack of players. I figured that I would have to quit at level 30 but it looks as if I will last another 10 levels.

Good question. The numbers for yesterday say 50k hours for 12k players  so they average ~4.3 hours. So I guess most are hardcore players.

3-5 hours a day or around 20 hours a week is considered casual play according to what I've seen said by many developers. 

Hardcore = 4.3 h? pulling numbers out your behind again? I am classed as a medium range player (used to be short of professional level in Starcraft 2 actually) and before uni and RL got in the way gaming hours were 8+ h.