Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GW2 Going Strong

sonoggisonoggi Member Posts: 1,119

out of the 24 servers, 13 are full at peak times, with never less than 6 full and never more than 3 medium. this game is growing every day. this just blows my mind. im glad people are giving it the attention it deserves. at the very least, this shows that ANet made a FUN game. 

raiders and power gamers will question its longevity, and may play less at 80 due to a challenging and "unrewarding" endgame, or lack of pvp skills/interest, as evidenced by XFire stats. however, only a small portion of GW2's player base uses XFire (probably only those who care to show off their /played hours, i.e. power gamers), and a more accurate estimate of the pop would be server pop categories show in World Selection.

all in all, glad to see the game growing. im not even halfway through the pve content, and im already looking forward to new DE's (and current ones getting scaled properly, no sense denying it's a problem). i may be in a minority on these forums when i say that GW2 has a long life and a high user count ahead. see u in Tyria. 

Comments

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Anyone who says it doesn't have a high user count is daft, IMO.  Long life though, that's completely subjective.  
  • observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685

I see people everywhere on my server.  Even in dark corners where i thought no one would find me when i go exploring.  That's why i get confused when people make threads saying chat channels are empty.  Chat channels are almost always busy with people calling out events, linking items, asking for help, etc.  It's probably not active 24/7, which it shouldn't be in my opinion, but it's active enough (especially with gold spammers ;) ).

The game sure is holding people's attention for now, but i wonder how many will go back to WoW's panda expansion.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by observer

I see people everywhere on my server.  Even in dark corners where i thought no one would find me when i go exploring.  That's why i get confused when people make threads saying chat channels are empty.  Chat channels are almost always busy with people calling out events, linking items, asking for help, etc.  It's probably not active 24/7, which it shouldn't be in my opinion, but it's active enough (especially with gold spammers ;) ).

The game sure is holding people's attention for now, but i wonder how many will go back to WoW's panda expansion.

It is because there is no general chat. In other games you see a lot more chatting since everyone in the game uses the same chat, map chat is different.

Who can what will happen in the future though? But lets worry about the future later.

• mazutmazut Member UncommonPosts: 988
    After few years there will be few meet servers where all players will go or they will pbe alone. I can't say howlong this will take, but it will.
  • KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072
    Originally posted by Loke666

It is because there is no general chat. In other games you see a lot more chatting since everyone in the game uses the same chat, map chat is different.

Who can what will happen in the future though? But lets worry about the future later.

Hmm, to my experience general chat usually covers the current map or zone in most mmorpg, which is what it does in GW2, it's just not called general chat. The exception would be the cities where there is no shared chat between other cities like trade chat in WoW?

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

Combat it much more active and intesive then old time MMO´s.  Thats why most people dont even read whats in the map chat. We´re busy playing the game and having a great time

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• MyTabbycatMyTabbycat Member UncommonPosts: 316
    I'm not really worried when WoW's expansion comes out. GW2 has no sub so all the people who leave to try their new expansion will come back once they get bored with the new content. I have nothing against Blizzard or WoW. I had a lot of fun while I played the game. I just don't like the direction they've taken with MoP so I chose to cancel my sub. Just my personal preference. I have more fun playing GW2.
  • Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

Combat it much more active and intesive then old time MMO´s.  Thats why most people dont even read whats in the map chat. We´re busy playing the game and having a great time

This happens to me a lot. When I'm out doing events and exploring I get lost in the game and forget my chat box is there.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,963

I can pass hours being totally oblivious to chat.

Heck , yesterday I was asking how to get to one skill point. And guy even whispered me and offered a group to show me.

And I noticed only 30 minutes later ...

• dageezadageeza Member Posts: 578

Level 80 with full temple exotics and 120 skillpoints built up and still having a blast even though the latest nerfs have me uneasy as to anets intentions on non dungeon event cycles and diminishing returns..

I earn every copper i get and do not like to be pigeonholed into cycles or have my loot reduced while these reported botters bot on unabated and unaffected..

Playing GW2..

Originally posted by Lobotomist

Heck , yesterday I was asking how to get to one skill point. And guy even whispered me and offered a group to show me.

I have "helped" someone a couple of times just to realize that he asked the question 15 minutes ago :)

Originally posted by dageeza

Level 80 with full temple exotics and 120 skillpoints built up and still having a blast even though the latest nerfs have me uneasy as to anets intentions on non dungeon event cycles and diminishing returns..

I earn every copper i get and do not like to be pigeonholed into cycles or have my loot reduced while these reported botters bot on unabated and unaffected..

This right here, I've enjoyed the freedom the game gives me now, I dont want to start using alarm clocks that tells me every now and then that I need to move to another area. What if you spent a lot of time on some area, then your friend logs in and go there and asks you? You just tag along enjoying your diminishing returns? Meh.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by Kuinn
    Originally posted by Lobotomist
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus.

I have "helped" someone a couple of times just to realize that he asked the question 15 minutes ago :)

Lol, yeah. I have a habit missing stuff in the guildchat as well when Im in battle.

• Zeus.CMZeus.CM Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,788
    Originally posted by Tayah

This happens to me a lot. When I'm out doing events and exploring I get lost in the game and forget my chat box is there.

+1 I chat with random people and they chat with only when we are waiting for something. In this game you are on the move non-stop.

• TardcoreTardcore Member Posts: 2,325
    Originally posted by sonoggi

out of the 24 servers, 13 are full at peak times, with never less than 6 full and never more than 3 medium. this game is growing every day. this just blows my mind. im glad people are giving it the attention it deserves. at the very least, this shows that ANet made a FUN game. 

raiders and power gamers will question its longevity, and may play less at 80 due to a challenging and "unrewarding" endgame, or lack of pvp skills/interest, as evidenced by XFire stats. however, only a small portion of GW2's player base uses XFire (probably only those who care to show off their /played hours, i.e. power gamers), and a more accurate estimate of the pop would be server pop categories show in World Selection.

all in all, glad to see the game growing. im not even halfway through the pve content, and im already looking forward to new DE's (and current ones getting scaled properly, no sense denying it's a problem). i may be in a minority on these forums when i say that GW2 has a long life and a high user count ahead. see u in Tyria. 

And the game is less than one month old. Kept seeing these kinds of threads about SWTOR for seven months.

Now I'm not saying that GW2 is going to become a ghost town, or that it has any of the major flaws that TOR did. I am simply saying its a bit early to be crowing about this games absoloute success OR demise this early into the games life span.

"Gypsies, tramps, and thieves, we were called by the Admin of the site . . . "

• JudgeUKJudgeUK Member RarePosts: 1,676
    Originally posted by MyTabbycat
    I'm not really worried when WoW's expansion comes out. GW2 has no sub so all the people who leave to try their new expansion will come back once they get bored with the new content. I have nothing against Blizzard or WoW. I had a lot of fun while I played the game. I just don't like the direction they've taken with MoP so I chose to cancel my sub. Just my personal preference. I have more fun playing GW2.

I have the same approach to WoW, (and my other past games). I played these and got enjoyment from them, in the case of WoW for a considerable time. For me, the road is run with that game, but I expect many others will still enjoy it, and good for them.

On topic - I do see more general chat in the other mmo's, Rift for example. This maybe caused by players waiting round for groups and not doing much while they wait apart from spending time on the chat channel.

At the moment this isn't happening with GW2, as players instantly join groups, world events, etc.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Don't wow and gw2 cater to different markets?

Whats wow main things,
    Raiding
    Or to lesser degree token grind to win minigame pvp

Neither of which are in gw2.

Then let's look at some of the things that gw2 does have.
    Large scale pvp
    Leveling by exploring
    Crafting that let's you level and make top tier items
    Mini game pvp that is gearless

If any of the above are your thing, wow won't satisfy your need. Other games might like say eve - large pvp, exploring and crafting, but not wow.

That said I do expect gw2 to have the typical after 2 months dip, when those conditioned to loot addiction through wow and other games quit. Then I think it will steadily grow as people realise gw2 is a game for the rest of us.
  • TardcoreTardcore Member Posts: 2,325
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Don't wow and gw2 cater to different markets?

Whats wow main things,
    Raiding
    Or to lesser degree token grind to win minigame pvp

Neither of which are in gw2.

Then let's look at some of the things that gw2 does have.
    Large scale pvp
    Leveling by exploring
    Crafting that let's you level and make top tier items
    Mini game pvp that is gearless

If any of the above are your thing, wow won't satisfy your need. Other games might like say eve - large pvp, exploring and crafting, but not wow.

That said I do expect gw2 to have the typical after 2 months dip, when those conditioned to loot addiction through wow and other games quit. Then I think it will steadily grow as people realise gw2 is a game for the rest of us.

That's what I've been thinking too, but now it looks like all my friends who were looking forward to GW2 as a replacement for Wow, are now going to try out the MoP expansion as well. I really don't see MoPs appeal at all, but I guess to each their own.

"Gypsies, tramps, and thieves, we were called by the Admin of the site . . . "

• DamzillaDamzilla Member UncommonPosts: 170

This. I only have time to chat while in cities or outposts... I mean, how am I supposed to type while shooting a rifle and kiting a mob ? It's just too dynamic, especially for a slow typer like me :D 

• Smitt3kSmitt3k Member Posts: 21
    The game is still growing which is absolutely great imo. This is usually when you see players start to migrate elsewhere in other mmos. I am having a blast.
  • VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

it's nice for ANet to be rewarded for their work, and nice for NCSoft to get some extra income I guess... but I don't really care how many boxes it has sold.

I only care that I can get a group when needed and that it has robust live developmnent.

Beyond that? /shrug

• JackdogJackdog Member UncommonPosts: 6,321
    Originally posted by ShakyMo

+1

I think that pretty much sums it up. I have already seen that some people feel lost w/o the trinnity, quest hubs and lack of a defined end game ( raids). This is the perfect game for my ADD personality, spent a good part of the morning just wandering around a aread I have never visited, leveling was the last thing on my mind.

Got frustratred becaus eI could not find a way into another area and in desperation went out and googled it, turns out the area is just a name on the map, most likley part of a future expansion. I have a feeling this game will be on my drive for a long time. Might try some future games like Mechwarrior , firefall etc if they strike my fancy but it is not like I have to maintain a sub for this game so all is good.

I miss DAoC

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935
    I do think we will see a big dip on the 25th when MoP releases.  I've already noticed the populations have been slightly decreasing since launch and WoW will be reclaiming a lot of its players.
  • TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575

There is an inherent design flaw in the public questing system, but so long as populations stay healthy it should not be an issue.  I see the game being successful and if expansions are rolled out in a strategic and timely fashion, I think there could be a steady population rise over time. 

To me, this game is solid.  They could add additional features and functionality with expansions and this game will only become greater over time.

• JackdogJackdog Member UncommonPosts: 6,321
    Originally posted by grimal
    I do think we will see a big dip on the 25th when MoP releases.  I've already noticed the populations have been slightly decreasing since launch and WoW will be reclaiming a lot of its players.

depends, I have my doubts as to how long they will stay.  From my experiences in MMOs one you leave you might go back for a while but once the initial "zing" is gone, it is gone for good. I retried UO, DAoC, SWG, and LoTRO after taking a break. Never lasted more than a month or so at most. generally got tired of them after a week or as soon as I had explored the new areas whichever came first.

I really do think people are ready to move on, maybe not to GW2 but soem will and some will just game hop until Firefall, Planetside 2 or whatever sucks them in. At least GW2 you don't have to go through the hassle of resubbing  and canceling the sub if you want to try something else.

I miss DAoC