Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Almost a total N00b, what should I be aware of?

Past history: DAOC, EQ2, GW1, SWG(NGE), Shadowbane, Vanguard, AOC, Aion(currently)

I leveled an Undead warrior to 40 about 4 years ago and realized I would have to grind to be able to afford a mount so I quit. The travel times in WOW absolutely killed my interest. Unfortunately I cant remember the access info to get that character back.   Im currently liking Aion but I picked a very nerfed and boring class(chanter) so I know as soon as I start getting rolled in the Abyss I will tire of the game. Not that Aion has great classes to begin with. WOW on the other hand does have great classes and also little to no lag. So, starting from scratch 4 years later:

1.Is the grind easier? I found the travel times in WOW made for as soulless a grind/timesink as many Korean mmos.

2.Has the PVE changed enough at lower levels that I can roll another Horde toon and not be too bored? I know there was this Cataclysm deal or something. Otherwise I guess I would roll Alliance.

3. I heard there is good faction PVP now, is it really as good as DAOC or Aion?

4. At what level can you enjoy faction PVP?

Thanks all.

Extremism in the defense of Liberty is no vice.

Comments

• ZadawnZadawn Member UncommonPosts: 670

You should be aware of this poisonous and toxic community.

In rest,enjoy the game.

• TobiasGreyTobiasGrey Member Posts: 166

You should except the simplest, easiest, most casual friendly MMO ever made .

And it will bore you to tears.

And no, WoW is a PvE game. The PvP is a tacked on afterthought, and it shows.

The only MMOs right now that even slightly compared to DAoC RvR is GW2 and Darkfall.

• JaedorJaedor Member UncommonPosts: 1,173

You may not recognize the game these days. Leveling is very fast and won't slow down noticeably until about 30. You can have a mount now at level 20, and they are much cheaper.

I recommend you roll something of each faction that sounds fun; you can always reroll if you don't like it, and eventually many alts is helpful for crafting.

IIRC, PvP starts at level 10 in the Warsong Gulch battleground.

Have fun!

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641
    Originally posted by Zadawn

You should be aware of this poisonous and toxic community.

In rest,enjoy the game.

I agree with this fellow.

Go enjoy the game. 

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Well as for the travel times, there are a LOT more waypoints (flight paths) now, and mounts are super duper cheap as well, so getting around isn't as grindy as it used to be.  I'd just recommend power leveling a character, maybe tanking or healing and doing LFD (Looking for Dungeon) groups and getting tricked out in as many blues as you can and enjoying the changes to the 1-60 zones... that way if you want to level more characters, you'll be able to get heirloom gear with your max level character and start out pretty powerful with the next toon.  Should only take a few weeks the way the game is super easy mode now.
  • YaoimanYaoiman Member Posts: 51
    Just play it and learn as you go. The game is so dumbed down that you won't have any problems with anything.

A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, the man who never reads lives only one.

We will always remember your sacrifice, Louisoux!

Oh, and think about rolling another Undead.  The revamped Undead zones and storyline really pleased me, it was one of the few things from Cata that I liked.
  • Odinthedark1Odinthedark1 Member Posts: 330
    Originally posted by Eir_S
    Oh, and think about rolling another Undead.  The revamped Undead zones and storyline really pleased me, it was one of the few things from Cata that I liked.

They changed the undead start zone a bit again with this Pre MoP patch, albeit it is still really cool and i liked it.

• AxiosImmortalAxiosImmortal Member UncommonPosts: 645
    Enjoy playing with trolls all around, woot!

Looking at: The Repopulation
    Preordering: None
    Playing: Random Games

• Odinthedark1Odinthedark1 Member Posts: 330
    Originally posted by Jonoku
    Enjoy playing with trolls all around, woot!

You're right that theres more in WoW than other games, but even GW2 has its share lol...its a problem with society as i whole i guess. people must get the urge when they see a major chat channel or sumthin.

• DenambrenDenambren Member UncommonPosts: 399

You're far from a "n00b" if you hit level 40 in vanilla WoW.

The game is pretty much as you remember it, except a lot of the grindy aspects have been lessened - i.e. mounts are MUCH cheaper, mounts are accessible at level 20, flight points are everywhere, you can use queue systems from the menu to join dungeons or pvp, and quests generally try to be more interactive than "kill 20 mob type".

Overall, it's the WoW you remember but more casual friendly, and a whole lot bigger. The community is generally nice as long as you stay away from raid guilds.

I'm giving Mists of Pandaria a shot after quitting Cataclysm after the first month. Hopefully Mists of Pandaria's pokemon pet battles will be worth the 39$ if the game turns out dull.

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596
    You should be aware that you should have been playing this game 5-6 years ago when it was decent.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• macrowowmacrowow Member Posts: 26

If I was new again:

• I'd level first on a PVE or RP server just because I spent lots of time dealing with jerks.
    • Pick a server that is pretty busy. 
    • Try out more classes before I maxxed out one
    • Ranged is more powerful and easier to play than melee in PVP
    • Don't click your abilities, learn to key press everything from a young age
  • MMORPDEATHMMORPDEATH Member Posts: 414

Thanks for the info all. Re: the Undead starting zone, how changed is it? Totally new quests? Also, which expansion packs do I need?

If it is not totally revamped pve then I will have to roll Alliance I think, I'm not one for "nostalgia".

Extremism in the defense of Liberty is no vice.

• RazperilRazperil Member Posts: 289
    Originally posted by MMORPDEATH

Past history: DAOC, EQ2, GW1, SWG(NGE), Shadowbane, Vanguard, AOC, Aion(currently)

I leveled an Undead warrior to 40 about 4 years ago and realized I would have to grind to be able to afford a mount so I quit. The travel times in WOW absolutely killed my interest. Unfortunately I cant remember the access info to get that character back.   Im currently liking Aion but I picked a very nerfed and boring class(chanter) so I know as soon as I start getting rolled in the Abyss I will tire of the game. Not that Aion has great classes to begin with. WOW on the other hand does have great classes and also little to no lag. So, starting from scratch 4 years later:

1.Is the grind easier? I found the travel times in WOW made for as soulless a grind/timesink as many Korean mmos.

2.Has the PVE changed enough at lower levels that I can roll another Horde toon and not be too bored? I know there was this Cataclysm deal or something. Otherwise I guess I would roll Alliance.

3. I heard there is good faction PVP now, is it really as good as DAOC or Aion?

4. At what level can you enjoy faction PVP?

Thanks all.

PVP in world of borecraft has and will always be a joke. Like others have said, it's a PVE game. You can get to 85 well before the next expansion release. I'm not sure if you want a kid's game, but if you do, this is it. I played on and off over a year ago with a friend and with it's continued dubbed easier junky feel, I decided to spend money elsewhere. This is by far the biggest MMO joke out there.

On a more serious note, it might be that cup of tea you like. Have fun and enjoy.

• LachyFTWLachyFTW Member UncommonPosts: 181
    Originally posted by TobiasGrey

You should except the simplest, easiest, most casual friendly MMO ever made .

This is not the GW2 forums.

Originally posted by MMORPDEATH

Thanks for the info all. Re: the Undead starting zone, how changed is it? Totally new quests? Also, which expansion packs do I need?

If it is not totally revamped pve then I will have to roll Alliance I think, I'm not one for "nostalgia".

You don't need Cataclysm to play the revamped 1-60 zones, just the Cata zones from 80-85, so even if you don't buy Cata for a while, there's still plenty of new PvE to do.  

The Undead zone (the last time I played) is a lot more "full".  Each area has something going on, and there's a better storyline if you care about that sort of thing.  I had so much fun leveling from 1-20 or more in the "new" zones there, I hardly noticed my level, but after 20 to 25 the zones start to merge together again.  Oh, and the draenei and blood elf starting zones are not changed since they were BC expansion zones.

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424

Some people complain about it, but for new players, I like the new zones.  I've gotten back into making more Alts, just because I want to do the starting areas again.  Like mentioned before, 0-30 is very easy, then 30-80 is about normal, and 80-85 is kinda slow, but they're changing this when MoP launches (or did they already change it in 5.0.4?).  Also, I'd recommend doing a craft you like, and visiting the darkmoon faire as much as possible.  For a beginner you can get heirlooms from darkmoon tickets fairly easily.  You can get one a month easily this way.  Heirlooms are great as they equal stats to a blue of your level, and most of them have +5-10% exp gained.  I can level an ult from 1-30 in about 3 hours with full heirlooms, but I'd rather take my time really.  I enjoy doing the new quests.  Also players get access to all races (except panda) now, so you can be a worgen or goblin, or dranei or blood elf, even without the expansions.

Another thing you can do is find someone that currently plays and ask them to give you a scroll of ressurection.  It gives you expansions upto cataclysm and a free level 80 upgrade :)  Unfortunately all my friends used up my scrolls and RAFs :(