Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why GW2 will ultimately fail

124»

Comments

• SeunlauSeunlau Member UncommonPosts: 28
    Originally posted by eggy08
    Popcorn anyone? I love these predictions, because there is never any flaw in a single one of these. Its like watching forecasters, only these people are far more accurate.

popcorn here!

*Throws some*

*Catch*

Btw eggy, I also predicted a month ago that this would happen. What happens "now" on the forums that is. And Its actually happening, so we "people" are quite accurate aren't we? :D

Want some more food for your eyes? a normal day, a normal conversation with IRL.

My friend: "World of warcraft? I ain't going to play that"

Me: "Why? Its cool, lets try MoP"

My friend: "Dude..I play GW2..Its so cool watch me play, watch!"

Me: "Cool graphics, ehm..so when are you starting WoW?"

My friend: "Dude.. GW2 have 7 milion players already, give it a try"

Me: "Rollback, what did you say?"

My friend: "Didn't you know Its almost as big as WoW already"

Me: "Facepalm, how much does this chocolate cost?"

My friend: "1 Buck"

Me: "Thanks, cyu"

Popcorn for everybody!

• MosesZDMosesZD Member UncommonPosts: 1,361
    Originally posted by xpiher
    Sigh, SCALING! You can solo many of those DEs when the zone isn't populated. 

I play on a European server (though I'm US) so, at night, it's pretty empty...    Anyway, I was in Gendarran Fields last night on my Lvl 27 Elementalist. 

Had two DEs before I logged off:  Soloed the "Retake Nebo Terrace" DE.    That was hard work for just one elementalist.   Kill a few then run away.   Come back, kill a few more, run away.   Took 30 minutes but I got them all.  

Soon as that one completed -- Retake Ascalon Settlement.    I retook the first of three areas and then some people showed up to help on the second.   Then a few more joined.   Then a few more.  By the end there might have been a dozen people.  And as the second got more and more people the mobs got harder and harder and the reinforcement waves got bigger and bigger.   In some ways the additional people made it more difficult since I could no longer pick off stragglers and control the aggro...  

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381
    Originally posted by SaintPhilip

GW2 cannot fail.

Its already a success thanks to some fantasic marketing. If it were a SUB game- It would fail. It isnt, the boxes have already sold and the results are in- Its been an unmitigated success.

Never liked original GW, game that could never ever exist as sub based. And did not had any high hopes for GW2. Was sure will buy at some time, waiting for client prices to drop, now will have plenty of time used in wow, then was planning for something else .... but at the end, even with concurrent sub running on wow, swtor and co, tsw in expiration, ... decied to try. No sub, no urge to  use eventual free time at all cost in first 30 days or so .... Purchased and, wow, what a surprise in positive sense! I never liked attitude if one love one game then should hate another. I'm big wow and swtor lover. But now also of gw2. Incredible game. Ok, they are still working on, tweaking and rest, but i already love it and enjoy every moment playing all my 8 alts.

But reason I'm replaying to your post is that you mentioned sub would make game wail. I would agree with you if basing my opinion on gw1. Not anymore. GW2 is game I would gladly pay monthly fee. Because is RIGHT thing to do. To support future development, intense work on existing game, to maintain in good health servers, ... etc etc ... And to make money for future expansions. GW2, imo, is along with wow, swtor and rift one of rare games, worth every penny out of eventual sub.

• asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788
    GW2 won't "fail" because it doesn't have a sub fee.  It will be like GW1, which holds a pretty solid community together based on the PvP and expansions.  Those that are looking for more of an MMO will play only on occasion.

You make me like charity

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by SaintPhilip

GW2 cannot fail.

Its already a success thanks to some fantasic marketing. If it were a SUB game- It would fail. It isnt, the boxes have already sold and the results are in- Its been an unmitigated success.

Even if everyone quite tommorow- They made alot of $$$.

Player retention means nothing to this game. They willl crank out an Xpac every year or so and most will buy it, p-lay a few months and go back to their regular MMO logging in occasionally.

I dont think so. Successes is more than just getting back the money you invested, NC soft expect to actually earn money  as well and so far they probably need a few more boxes for that.

But it will happen, GW1 was a huge success.

I dont really see a problem with many players buying it and play it occasionally or when an Xpac hit though, I did that with GW1 for years. When I was bored with whatever I played at the moment I played GW1 for a while, then took a break from it a couple of months.

It is enough that some people will play it as main game, not everyone need to do that for the game to be successful. Still, I think more people will have GW2 as main game than GW1 and that is more than good.

• ChrisReitzChrisReitz Member Posts: 115
    I dunno you should really think about something before you type it or look it up. Are you 9 years old you can be honest... Are you on the computer when your parents are away... No sneaking on the pc .... Dymnaic events are changed with the ammount of people that are their. SO if their is just one person there they change the diffculity unless its a group event...
  • RoyalPhunkRoyalPhunk Member UncommonPosts: 174
    Microscopic insects thinking you have any effect on things. Posting your little threads...how quaint.
  • IsawaIsawa Member UncommonPosts: 1,051
    Originally posted by TomBaker_fan
    Originally posted by Eluldor
    Done plenty of dynamic events by my self across all sorts of maps as a lowbie and as a high end character. The OP is pretty lame.

Highly doudtful, and impossible on bosses.

I said plenty of dynamic events, not GROUP dynamic events. Are you playing the game?

• JimmyYOJimmyYO Member UncommonPosts: 519
    A game is a success based on box sales? Diablo 3 would like to have a word with you.
  • XtenXten Member Posts: 119
    Originally posted by TheScavenger

GW2 will suffer the same fate as other forced grouping MMOs. Remember Vanguard? A heavy group forced game? Once the population either leaves or reaches endgame...a newbie can't do ANY quest (barely), because either the game is not populated enough or/and reaches high levels. And it isn't only Vanguard. Every forced grouping game suffers the same fate. Ryzom does as well, the only thing you can do is be powerleveled by higher skilled players...no fun at all

The dynamic events are really going to suffer when everyone leaves the starter/lower level zones. Newbies won't be able to do any event, because there won't be enough people. This may not hapen right away, but a year down the line? You bet it will. Dynamic events are really group focused, and with no one in the lower zones...it just won't work. Now, the level scaling...high levels may come down...but I did this and still roflstomped everything. I had more fun in the higher level zones, personally...a lot more challenging.

Can't have forced grouping work forever, especially when the population drops or/and moves on. This is why GW2 will ultimately fail.

Vanguard:

"The game initially sold around 242,000 copies, while the number of active subscriptions (those who play longer than the free month included when buying the game) was estimated to be around 130,000"

i dont think vanguard was as well received to begin with. But yet it took 5 years before vanguard went F2P. Not a great example to prove your point.

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    A mmorg is a success if people enjoy playing it and it makes enough profit to maintain itself. This thread is out of date GW2 achieves both goals.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363

GW2 will suffer the same fate as other forced grouping MMOs. Remember Vanguard? A heavy group forced game? Once the population either leaves or reaches endgame...a newbie can't do ANY quest (barely), because either the game is not populated enough or/and reaches high levels. And it isn't only Vanguard. Every forced grouping game suffers the same fate. Ryzom does as well, the only thing you can do is be powerleveled by higher skilled players...no fun at all

Why not? You have to do it in every other game where the end game is Elite Dungeons - aka Rift and WoW.  You have to do it to get through - OK based on your premise - they are all failures.

You can't powerlevel in GW2 - you scale to the zone.

The dynamic events are really going to suffer when everyone leaves the starter/lower level zones. Newbies won't be able to do any event, because there won't be enough people. This may not hapen right away, but a year down the line? You bet it will. Dynamic events are really group focused, and with no one in the lower zones...it just won't work. Now, the level scaling...high levels may come down...but I did this and still roflstomped everything. I had more fun in the higher level zones, personally...a lot more challenging.

The DE's will just be slower in coming. I guess again you don't understand that.

Can't have forced grouping work forever, especially when the population drops or/and moves on. This is why GW2 will ultimately fail.

See my point 1 - Happens all the time in other games. I know, GW2 is the exception rather than the rule - right?

• JackdogJackdog Member UncommonPosts: 6,321
    Originally posted by botrytis

The DE's will just be slower in coming. I guess again you don't understand that.

DE's scale down also, me and 1 other person did one easily this morning, then I soloed another a bit later not easily but do able. Less than ten of us  took down that flame elemental from hell in the Reactor just before lunch Ended up dieing less than when 50 of us took it on last weekend.

I miss DAoC

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359

Why is it that every complaint seems to have a "bizzaro version" of it that complains about the exact opposite things pop up a few days later?

I have seen plenty of complaints stating that GW2 is completely unsocial, and you never need to talk to another player in the game.  And now here is a complaint that GW2 forces grouping and you can't play alone effectively at all.

smh...smh...

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?