Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Buying more story content

Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

Personally i am still convinced that they will start selling more story based content in so called adventure packs, this will be available as DLC.

So how many steps should such adventure packs have?

and how much would you be willing to pay for those?

(i could see them start with racial stories, explaining much of a races history and such, or  an adventure to find out what happened to the dwarves)

Oh, and i really love the Anet stories, and instance story play.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

Comments

• OmiragOmirag Member UncommonPosts: 276

I think it would depend on if the subject interested me. I would not care how long it is, it only matters about the quality I am recieving. If the purchase nets me a sweet new dungeon to explore with some friends and have fun in, maybe pick up some loot, then I would be willing to pay 5-10 bucks. If there is a whole off shoot story line for my main character to seek out blah blah blah and it is a well developed story I would be willing to pay between 10-20. 

It just matters what they are selling. If they offer me a pack of weapons that now will randomly drop from already existing monsters, I would not buy it because I do not care about that. I want to have fun and explore and play with friend, not find loot.

• demonic87demonic87 Member UncommonPosts: 438
    Originally posted by DMKano

Not gonna spend dime on any dlc for gw2 - I feel that the box was too pricey as it is $70 with tax - Bleh.

At that price point I don't have any desire to give Anet a dime for at least 3 months.

You don't buy games often, do you.

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066

I prefer if content is sold in big xpacs.

Generally you get higher quality and quantity for the price and avoids splitting the community.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• xpiherxpiher Member UncommonPosts: 3,310
    ANET is going to release both DLC and free content updates. I think Story stuff might be DLCs. But I don't expect B2P content patches to come out before Dec

Games:
    Currently playing:Nothing
    Will play: Darkfall: Unholy Wars
    Past games:
    Guild Wars 2 - Xpiher Duminous
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Darkfall - Xpiher Duminous (NA) retired
    AoC - Xpiher (Tyranny) retired
    Warhammer - Xpiher

• HorrorScopeHorrorScope Member UncommonPosts: 599
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

Personally i am still convinced that they will start selling more story based content in so called adventure packs, this will be available as DLC.

If they do, then we should be able to call them liars without fanboi's saying a word. Just this week the head-honcho said that will not happen. They will be giving out free content as much as any paid sub based game regularly. But yes there will be expansions that will cost. If they go back on it, then it's all on them. But why are you convinced otherwise?

• LeononaLeonona Member UncommonPosts: 225
    Originally posted by HorrorScope

If they do, then we should be able to call them liars without fanboi's saying a word. Just this week the head-honcho said that will not happen. They will be giving out free content as much as any paid sub based game regularly. But yes there will be expansions that will cost. If they go back on it, then it's all on them. But why are you convinced otherwise?

Yes, DLC is unlikely for GW2. It is against their philosophy as it will segregate the players into people who have and don't have and make playing togehter a pain. They have said they will give content away for free regularly and then an xpac later.

• xpiherxpiher Member UncommonPosts: 3,310
    Originally posted by Leonona

Yes, DLC is unlikely for GW2. It is against their philosophy as it will segregate the players into people who have and don't have and make playing togehter a pain. They have said they will give content away for free regularly and then an xpac later.

There isn't any difference between a DLC and an expansion, unless the expansion is, like GW1, a stand alone game

Games:
    Currently playing:Nothing
    Will play: Darkfall: Unholy Wars
    Past games:
    Guild Wars 2 - Xpiher Duminous
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Darkfall - Xpiher Duminous (NA) retired
    AoC - Xpiher (Tyranny) retired
    Warhammer - Xpiher

• SiugSiug Member UncommonPosts: 1,257
    Worst story I've seen in any MMO (I play only Western MMOs though) so Anet won't get a dime from me. Human story was so bad that I actually had to delete 2 chars because I could not play them any further and wanted to free up my names. Norn and Charr stories have been just garbage so skipping it and going to indicated direction. This is my very personal view of course.
  • JoeyMMOJoeyMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
    Originally posted by Piiritus
    Worst story I've seen in any MMO (I play only Western MMOs though) so Anet won't get a dime from me. Human story was so bad that I actually had to delete 2 chars because I could not play them any further and wanted to free up my names. Norn and Charr stories have been just garbage so skipping it and going to indicated direction. This is my very personal view of course.

What are you comparing it to? SWTOR? I don't know what choices you made on your personal story, but GW2 human story has SWTOR beat by a lot. "Worst story in any MMO", give examples of better ones. The choices you made in GW2 vs. all those other better stories. That should provide some interesting reading.

imageimage
    Originally posted by JoeyMMO

What are you comparing it to? SWTOR? I don't know what choices you made on your personal story, but GW2 human story has SWTOR beat by a lot. "Worst story in any MMO", give examples of better ones. The choices you made in GW2 vs. all those other better stories. That should provide some interesting reading.

Better one: TSW. Also SWTOR Empire side stories, especially warrior, were much better. GW2 story feels like a 12 yo wrote for other 12 yos. And I don't even speak about voice acting which is just atrocious and sometimes I've even doubted if they were recorded by humans because they sound more like machines. But as I said that was my personal opinion and I don't happen to own the monopoly of truth. 

• ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426
    TOR had its awful moments, too. Besides, it's TOR's only good feature. The only MMO that's flat-out better story wise than GW2 is TSW, but its story is completely linear, so it's not a fair comparison.
    Originally posted by Scalpless
    TOR had its awful moments, too. Besides, it's TOR's only good feature. The only MMO that's flat-out better story wise than GW2 is TSW, but its story is completely linear, so it's not a fair comparison.

I didn't mean only TSW story quests but all main quests. But I'm not here bashing GW2 and hyping TSW. I play both and GW2 story/dialogue is for me personally atrocious. There are many good things though but as the thread was made on story purely I felt the need to express my opinion which is: GW2 story is the weakest thing in this game and if they manage to sell this they can sell everything from used underwear to empty milk cartons.

• stevebmbsqdstevebmbsqd Member Posts: 448
    Originally posted by JoeyMMO

I think GW2 is an alright game, but the story is beyond awful. All of the ones I have tried are horribly written. I have read better fan fiction on forums. GW2 is a good game..... just not the personal stories.....

• ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426
    Originally posted by Scalpless

I didn't mean only TSW story quests but all main quests. But I'm not here bashing GW2 and hyping TSW. I play both and GW2 story/dialogue is for me personally atrocious. There are many good things though but as the thread was made on story purely I felt the need to express my opinion which is: GW2 story is the weakest thing in this game and if they manage to sell this they can sell everything from used underwear to empty milk cartons.

I definitely agree story is not one of GW2's strongest points. Its lore is solid, but writing is lackluster more often than not. I'm just wondering about it being the "worst story you've seen in any MMO". Unless you've only played TSW and TOR, that statement is a bit weird. MMOs tend to have pretty weak stories. Then again, many MMOs don't even have main stories, so I guess they can't be compared to the personal stories of GW2.

• HorrorScopeHorrorScope Member UncommonPosts: 599
    Originally posted by xpiher
    Originally posted by Leonona

There isn't any difference between a DLC and an expansion, unless the expansion is, like GW1, a stand alone game

Right the exapansions for GW2 will be like GW1 and everything inbetween free. The OP is just thinking they are going to change their mind and get us.

• sk8chalifsk8chalif Member UncommonPosts: 666
    I think new story will come on big patch and expension. when they add new dungeon so we can go after other Elder Dragon or other way around when other Elder Dragon start moving,

~The only opinion that matters is your own.Everything else is just advice,~

• sk8chalifsk8chalif Member UncommonPosts: 666

we all have different Opinion and personal view,

has for me its the other way around, i love gw2 story specialy the human one,

~The only opinion that matters is your own.Everything else is just advice,~

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    There will be story dlc, they will be called adventure packs. Gw1 had one, and it was quite succesfull, it was created in GW1 with the sjngle purpose of seeing if things like this would work for GW2.

The big statement about GW2 was that the gemshop would not co tain anything that the gw1 shop did not have.

On top of that there will probably be more free content then blizzard ever produced. But stories which in general will be like single player content will not be free. Best bet is that every free area or dungeon comes with a sepperate story.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• eAzydamaneAzydaman Member Posts: 218
    I like the story. Had alot of fun with it. Doesn't beat Tortage though :)