Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

These forums are horrible to use

GabsGabs Member Posts: 92

I hate to complain, but it has to be said: there are major problems with these forums.

1) Standard message board tags don't work
Standard message board tags like , , [quote="user"][/quote] etc. don't work. I refuse to use the WYSIWYG editor since I can't save progress on long posts, and not being able to use tags prevents me from typing a proper message in a word processor.

2) The forums can't keep track of more than one page
It seems like I can't have multiple reply to thread windows open at once. For example when I reply to a thread, or even try to change the text mode, and I have opened another thread since, it dumps me on to whatever page I was on last, since all the URLs are just "discussion.cfm".

3) If I have multiple threads open in different windows, they all look the same from the taskbar and it's impossible to tell which one is which without opening all of them because they don't include the title of the thread in them.

4) When I reply to a thread, it only displays one previous post. Most forums show about the last 20 replies.

5) Search function is limited
No advanced features like in other boards whatsoever.

Comments

• GabsGabs Member Posts: 92

Hmmm, well that's just bizarre. The italics and bold tags work in this thread but not in another one I posted in in another section.

• AnofalyeAnofalye Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,433

Hehe

I see no bold myself in your post, but I read quote info about /bold. image

As for the info saving, you can use the copy option to memorise it...and do smaller messages. image

- "If I understand you well, you are telling me until next time. " - Ren

bump
  • doobsterdoobster Member Posts: 736
    I would have to agree here.  Im really a forum-junky, have three montiors up and 3 forums open on each of these, others in the background etc.  And i would have to say this one is one of the harder ones to use and is really an inconvienience.
  • LordMagnusLordMagnus Member CommonPosts: 1,322

Would you rather use these type of forums? http://boards.gamefaqs.com/gfaqs/gentopic.php?board=2000110

• doobsterdoobster Member Posts: 736
    People realllly need to learn how to make links clickyable.. just hitspacebar after the link and it makes it 10x easier for us.
  • Black_FireBlack_Fire Member Posts: 15
    Just make it a hyperlink and it will be easier, you will be able to get the website that you need the get on 4 any purpose

Ice_

Something like vBulletin would be ideal, it's pretty much the standard everywhere. There are plenty of free equivalents around though. This one is just a pain.

• PWN3DPWN3D Member Posts: 4

Hm, well, your right. These arent the best forums in the world. Neither is my forum, but i guess if you want to visit my forum you can. Here it is:

www.freewebs.com/halo-ware

Yeah, I built my own forum site, it really doesnt have anything to do with mmorpg's, except we do have an RPG  forum on our website. Not might be the best but hey, it's ok.

P.S. I only joined for the chat, lol. 

Ya'll joust got owned!

• spacefishspacefish Member Posts: 21

What I miss on these forums is a jump to first unread post in thread option. Some of these threads can have a high amount of traffic and I find I don't come here much because I can't easily find new posts on specific threads. Most Recent Posts is not enough. There needs to be a First Unread Post option on every thread and a Last Posted By link wouldn't hurt either.

Or they could just install vBulletin...

• killerTwinkiekillerTwinkie Member CommonPosts: 1,694

Dont forget that these forums were hard coded, not copy and paste from a person who created a forum. ::::28::

We do appreciate the constructive comments, as it helps us better determine where to head off the problem.

KillerTwinkie - That one guy who used to mod mmorpg.com's forums.

• spacefishspacefish Member Posts: 21

Originally posted by killerTwinkie
    Dont forget that these forums were hard coded, not copy and paste from a person who created a forum. ::::28::

I can appreciate that they were hard-coded. That's great, it's simply not good enough. :)

We do appreciate the constructive comments, as it helps us better determine where to head off the problem.

I do hope you will consider putting in some "modern" upgrades to your forums. Most people are familiar with boards like vBulletin and phpBB and expect certain options, like those I mentioned, up front. Frankly, if I hadn't recently become interested in several topics on this site, I never would have posted about the forum's lack of functionality.

Here's to upgrades and improvements! I'd be glad to help the tweak process if you guys need an objective opinion.

• n2soonersn2sooners Member UncommonPosts: 926

Just please make them stop eating posts. Seems about every third or fourth post I make (usually whenever I make a long post and forget to copy it first) gets eaten never to return again. And every once in a while, you get one that looks like it was eaten, but it wasn't and you end up double posting. ::::01::

image image

• IvanRashnuIvanRashnu Member Posts: 178

Originally posted by n2sooners
    Just please make them stop eating posts. Seems about every third or fourth post I make (usually whenever I make a long post and forget to copy it first) gets eaten never to return again. And every once in a while, you get one that looks like it was eaten, but it wasn't and you end up double posting. ::::01::

I experienced that many times, too. It would be great to return our complete message when we press "go to back page"

• Black_FireBlack_Fire Member Posts: 15

like i said before,

Just make a hyperlink to your websites all you have to do is

just say the website like

for instice,

www.funnyjunk.com

yes, that will make it is so easy dont need to install anything

thats my input again....

Ice_

• bartoshbartosh Member Posts: 24
    sorry to say, but everything works for me
  • bartoshbartosh Member Posts: 24
    sorry to say, but everything works for me
  • necbonenecbone Member Posts: 358

man....i luv these forums....very easy to navigate thru....only thing i dont like is not being able to see everything i posted and having issues putting images in my post, but thats probably cuz i'm a nub.

now, blizzard's forums suck, its nice here.

Bump, this whole "discussion.cfm" thing has got to go.