Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why Are People Upset About GW2's Overwhelming Success?

Comments

• bbbmmmlllbbbmmmlll Member Posts: 79
    Originally posted by SuperDonk

It is way to early to claim that GW2 is a success, two weeks after SWTOR launched everyone was still talking about the record setting inital sales and everyone was busy with the story. It wasn't until after the first month the cracks in SWOTR's amor began to become exposed, and I'm sure the B2P option for GW2 will help cushion the dropoff for them. But again, it is still to early to call it a success or a failure, unless you just want to troll. The only way anyone can accurately call it a success or failure is if it was to you personally.

This is inaccurate. The cracks with SWTOR were showing at launch with missing features, major bugs still present from early beta and mismanaged patching. It was obvious that the game shipped before it was ready. Record sales were simply based on the Star Wars IP and a lot of marketing - in no way any indication of the quality of the product. After a couple days of playing the cookie cutter nature of the world was also obvious. I didn't even make it two weeks.

I don't see any obvious cracks with GW2. The initial sales appear strong and ArenaNet was successful with a similar business model with GW1.  They have a quality product, a strong vision, customer friendly business model, are responsive, professional, appear to actually care about their work and have focused on features that improve game play as opposed to gimmicks or marketing - completely opposite of SWTOR. GW2 isn't prefect and no game will be, but I find it odd that people can't accept that it's one of the strongest MMO offerings in many years. I don't think they have a chance of generating the revenue that WoW did, not do I expect them to have to radically refactor their business model and layoff a bunch of their staff. For a modern MMO that is a home run. Heck just look at the previous three big launches: SWTOR, TERA and TSW - ouch!

• bbbmmmlllbbbmmmlll Member Posts: 79
    Originally posted by Krytycal

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying Dynamic Events are bad. They aren't. They are just another way to present quests, and they have been around for a while now. Some people love it, some don't. There is no need to be so sensationalist about it. Unless of course you're that idiot who walks out of the latest Transformers movie thinking it was the best movie ever conceived. Hint: there is no such thing.

DEs are an improvement over anything I've seen previously. I think the biggest upside is that they bring players together and are completely cooperative. I'm not off by myself collecting boar tusks or begging people to group to fight a boss. In RIFT, the DEs aren't integrated with the world and there's little variation. They are also supplementary to doing quests. I like RIFT DEs, but GW2 has improved on the concept significantly. I also don't remember any scaling of DEs in RIFT.

The main issue I have with the GW2 DEs are that most don't scale well with the large number of players that are present at launch which will correct itself over time. There are problems with the traditional quest systems at launch due to high population as well so it's not really a DE specific issue and I think it's a better player experience under the GW2 model.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by Deleted User

so adding existing tech to a phone is innovation making it smaller is innovation, but GW2 didn't innovate shit ?

you're all hypocrites YES I said it ! they took the best single features from many games and improved upon them presenting them to us in a whole new way that has never been seen before, yet you say they haven't innovated shit ?

Hypocrites !! 

you hate the game so much you will not accept anything that says it's a good game !

Don't bother trying to reply, I won't be posting on this site anymore, it's called mmorpg.com but it's just a moldy cave filled with the worst the gaming community has to offer. (some exceptions may apply)

/deleting account.

haha person actually followed through.. i salute you!

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• NevulusNevulus Member UncommonPosts: 1,288
    Originally posted by Nikkita
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    Originally posted by hikaru77
    Overhelming Sucess. is still behind swtor on sales so why swtor  wasnt an ¨overwherlming success¨?. 14 days for MoP, and i hate wow, but can wait to see what all the gw2 fanboys have to say when the active population leave to play WoW once again. 

NEWS at 10 hikaru77 posted yet another negative comment about GW2! yippy!

News at 11, Aerowyn fanboyin' yet another bland themepark.

I liked you better over at the TSW forum, at least the investigation quests there were truly innovative.

at least i don't resort to putting labels on people.. thing is it's fine to dislike a game and discuss reasons you dislike it and why but many are doing nothing but flame post after flame post.. no argument nothing to discuss just bash after bash.. what's the point of that?

You called out hikaru personally..that is called bashing?. moreover shouldn't you be asking this question to OP? what is the point of this topic which was an obvious attempt to just start another flame?

It is because of people like OP, GW2 get flamed not because it is bad game but because crazy fans are getting more and more obnoxious every day.

Thank you, some one gets it.

It gives the entire game a bad look when they blatantly visit other game forums and troll to no end. Personally I bet they aren't even playing GW2, just going around proclaiming how its revolutionary and the next best thing since slice bread just to invoke a flame war, and the mods let it continue.

It's like a gang war. There is no winner, just people shooting at other people to the point no one remember who started it and no one cares. They just go around  making personal attacks at each other, hijacking every thread. Same thing happened with TERA, and the same gw2 crowd did the SAME thing to the TSW sub forum.

Wish this forum would go back to discussing actual game play, instead we get "Doom & Gloom" threads, people with their bias reviews, and highschool clicks going around flaming each other.

• exanimoexanimo Member UncommonPosts: 1,301

Originally posted by Nevulus
    Originally posted by Nikkita Originally posted by Aerowyn Originally posted by Krytycal Originally posted by Aerowyn Originally posted by hikaru77 Overhelming Sucess. is still behind swtor on sales so why swtor  wasnt an ¨overwherlming success¨?. 14 days for MoP, and i hate wow, but can wait to see what all the gw2 fanboys have to say when the active population leave to play WoW once again. 
    NEWS at 10 hikaru77 posted yet another negative comment about GW2! yippy!
    News at 11, Aerowyn fanboyin' yet another bland themepark.   I liked you better over at the TSW forum, at least the investigation quests there were truly innovative.
    at least i don't resort to putting labels on people.. thing is it's fine to dislike a game and discuss reasons you dislike it and why but many are doing nothing but flame post after flame post.. no argument nothing to discuss just bash after bash.. what's the point of that?
    You called out hikaru personally..that is called bashing?. moreover shouldn't you be asking this question to OP? what is the point of this topic which was an obvious attempt to just start another flame? It is because of people like OP, GW2 get flamed not because it is bad game but because crazy fans are getting more and more obnoxious every day.
    Thank you, some one gets it.

It gives the entire game a bad look when they blatantly visit other game forums and troll to no end. Personally I bet they aren't even playing GW2, just going around proclaiming how its revolutionary and the next best thing since slice bread just to invoke a flame war, and the mods let it continue.

It's like a gang war. There is no winner, just people shooting at other people to the point no one remember who started it and no one cares. They just go around  making personal attacks at each other, hijacking every thread. Same thing happened with TERA, and the same gw2 crowd did the SAME thing to the TSW sub forum.

Wish this forum would go back to discussing actual game play, instead we get "Doom & Gloom" threads, people with their bias reviews, and highschool clicks going around flaming each other.

It's like a gang war. There is no winner, just people shooting at other people to the point no one remember who started it and no one cares.

this made lol

best description of forums flame wars ever ...

flame wars in forums is the best free advertisement a game can have , if people are talking about is because its interesting at least.

i love to be in this gang war

• Atlan99Atlan99 Member UncommonPosts: 1,332

I think people are upset because this game has killed every other mmo on the market. Blizzard shouldn't even release Mists of Pandaria. It probably won't sell any copies because everybody will be playing GW2. Which is the most overwhelming success in mmo history.

• Vunak23Vunak23 Member UncommonPosts: 633

Indeed. Like I said, I wouldn't be annoyed if people were talking about having fun in GW2 and it being a decent game. No instead we have to have obnoxious zealot fans that portray it as a game to end all other games. We have to listen to GW2 being he future of all MMO's when if you look at development cycles of games coming out they show nothing resembling GW2. 

We have to listen to GW2 being the most innovative game to grace the MMO genre since 3d gaming became a thing. We have to listen to how super Dynamic the undynamic Dynamic Events are. How GW2 is revolutionizing gaming as a whole. Seriously.....

GW2 is a decent themepark game. Boom there it is. Its a decent themepark game, among many undecent themepark games. Its going to do well for itself supposing ANET can get there act together and support the game and its community without fanatic bannings and all that. But it isn't innovative, it isn't revolutionary, it isn't the second coming of MMO's. It was designed by an intelligent team that created a solid themepark game. But that is the extent of what GW2 is. 

"In the immediate future, we have this one, and then we’ve got another one that is actually going to be – so we’re going to have, what we want to do, is in January, what we’re targeting to do, this may or may not happen, so you can’t hold me to it. But what we’re targeting to do, is have a fun anniversary to the Ilum shenanigans that happened. An alien race might invade, and they might crash into Ilum and there might be some new activities that happen on the planet." ~Gabe Amatangelo

• Atlan99Atlan99 Member UncommonPosts: 1,332
  • GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,470
    Good lord.  Why can't GW2 fans get over the fact that many people just aren't as enamoured with the game as they are?  I like it and its a good game that has a lot of bang for the buck but its not the Robot Jesus a very vocal portion of the fans claim it is.

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

• Kuro1nKuro1n Member UncommonPosts: 775
    Originally posted by Atlan99

I think people are upset because this game has killed every other mmo on the market. Blizzard shouldn't even release Mists of Pandaria. It probably won't sell any copies because everybody will be playing GW2. Which is the most overwhelming success in mmo history.

Thats funny because the only thing it has killed is nothing.

Originally posted by Ginaz
    Good lord.  Why can't GW2 fans get over the fact that many people just aren't as enamoured with the game as they are?  I like it and its a good game that has a lot of bang for the buck but its not the Robot Jesus a very vocal portion of the fans claim it is.
    Oh shit, some sense detected in this thread what now? Thread impolosion? :/
  • Requiem1066Requiem1066 Member Posts: 274
     but its not the Robot Jesus a very vocal portion of the fans claim it is.

Not sure why 

but sprang to mind

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNcPjPgbR5M

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by Bad.dog
    Originally posted by Vunak23
    Originally posted by slingblade25

I understang if you bought the game and you didnt like it, then wrote a review explaining why, then leave to go to another game or its forums.

BUT to hang around a forum of a game you do not care for and jump on anyone that has something positive to say about it?

GW2 is a fun game for many. Ive played many MMO titles in the last few years and this is the only one that was made with some degree of qauality.

See ya in game ;)

I have no problem with people saying its fun for them or there friends. What I have a problem with is people making the game out to be something it isn't. Revolutionary to the MMO Genre. 

Can I see some proof of this ? I'd like to see some revolutionary to the MMO gender posts ....also include holy grail and second comming posts

http://www.mmorpg.com/search.cfm

• aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387
    Originally posted by Demogorgon

Why?

For me I guess its because I think Anet didn't invest much into traditionnal publicity but instead choose to hire an army of forum shills to assault the net with. They've been and still are (even though the game is out they are still in every single thread where something is said about GW2... aren't they playing it or something. Oh I know they are posting from work. Yeah! because that is their work! rofl) a very aggravating bunch of...

Yeah, you know who you are... Job well done damn annoying cockroaches.

BUT! If I were you, I'd wait before calling it an overwhelming success. Unless you don't mind looking like a fool in a couple months.

I think there are more Blizzard saboteurs than Anet shills anyday... considering which company has more money and how many game forums has been mercilessly murdered with negative opinions and comparisons to WoW before GW2 even existed.

• YakkinYakkin Member Posts: 919

WAIT A BLOODY MINUTE!

I thought you hated parts of GW2? What's with the flip flop all of a sudden?

• ShimpoGenmuShimpoGenmu Member Posts: 66
    Originally posted by sonoggi
    maybe mmorpg.com is where these people congregate, which would explain the frequency of such strange threads, maybe it's their alts posting. but why would you be MAD about it bros? the game is epic, and even when u look at it completely objectively, at the very least it's above the average. 

That's exactly the problem. The game is an above average themepark MMORPG, but people (including ANET) keep painting it like it's the Obama of the MMO genre when in reality it's just a different take on the same old, I mean, at least Obama was black.

People don't like being lied to.

hate more plz

tell that to the millions who play gw2,go back to your hubs and pandas kkthxbb

• TheIronLegionTheIronLegion Member Posts: 269
    Originally posted by Enigmatus

WAIT A BLOODY MINUTE!

I thought you hated parts of GW2? What's with the flip flop all of a sudden?

I don't know what you are talking about. GW2 is clearly the greatest mmo ever created. It is the Wow killer and heir to the mmo throne.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cdiz0k0Rudw

This atlan99 guy is an obvious troll. Let's just slap a label on it and move along.

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784
    Originally posted by ShimpoGenmu
    maybe mmorpg.com is where these people congregate, which would explain the frequency of such strange threads, maybe it's their alts posting. but why would you be MAD about it bros? the game is epic, and even when u look at it completely objectively, at the very least it's above the average. 

That's exactly the problem. The game is an above average themepark MMORPG, but people (including ANET) keep painting it like it's the Obama of the MMO genre when in reality it's just a different take on the same old, I mean, at least Obama was black.

hate more plz

Millions?

• ZikariZikari Member Posts: 78
    To sad about the failure of The Secret World to be asking this question. I love both games for very different reasons and it's nice to see Guild Wars 2 roar like it does right now, the success is well deserved. But yeah as I said, The Secret World would have deserved a lot more success than it got. It's a great game as well. Happy to juggle between the both for a long time...
  • DrolkinDrolkin Member UncommonPosts: 246

Justin Bieber has more fans than GW2, guess he's innovative as well.

Joke.

Originally posted by Kuro1n

Thats funny because the only thing it has killed is nothing.

Oh shit, some sense detected in this thread what now? Thread impolosion? :/

@Ginaz I love how everyone loves to this jesus statement in peoples mouths, though not a single fan has said anything to that effect. And it changes everytime. Wasn't it second coming of jesus before, now robot jesus? What's flying most interesting man in the world raptor jesus?

hate more plz

They will. Along with many of those who play GW2.....They will go too. This is the casual game isn't it? You think the average GW2 player is intending on staying dedicated? I don't. They will play WoW to get all those things in MMOs that GW2 didn't incorporate that people still want. And there is a lot. Then they will caome back and play GW2 in their down time.

EDIT:

What some of you GW2 vs BrandX MMO hardcore fans need to realize is that most of us are somewhat more moderate in our dedication and choice of games. For me, I'll have both  Rift and GW2 to play now.

That's what we call Win Win.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer

They will. Along with many of those who play GW2.....They will go too. This is the casual game isn't it? You think the average GW2 player is intending on staying dedicated? I don't. They will play WoW to get all those things in MMOs that GW2 didn't incorporate that people still want. And there is a lot. Then they will caome back and play GW2 in their down time.

EDIT:

What some of you GW2 vs BrandX MMO hardcore fans need to realize is that most of us are somewhat more moderate in our dedication and choice of games. For me, I'll have both  Rift and GW2 to play now.

Some will surely, but far from all . My guild is full with ex Wow players and most of them actually seems to moved on for good now. That doesnt mean that they neccesarily stay in GW2 but Wow is finally getting so old so it seems like they might move to something new instead.

hate more plz

EDIT:

It must be one or the other! Choose or die!

We don't necessarily pit GW2 against BrandX MMO, but we do get tired of hearing falseties about the game. People spouting nonsense or just blind hatred. If you don't like the game stay out of a forum where people like it. It's just a nuisance. No one is saying that anyone has to like anything, but atleast accept the fact that the game is good and just not your style. The iPhone is a good product, but I'm more of an Android person...I like being able to use my phone as a thumb drive if i have to, or being able to play [almost] any video format so long as I have a player. That argument could be related to this. You may not like GW2 or Arenanet for that matter, but GW2 is still a good product. No need to slight it because you don't like it.

I have a friend who doesn't like GW2 but that's because she's use to playing her shaman in WoW with all of her add-ons, so she can't just stand still and press a few buttons.

• dariuszpdariuszp Member Posts: 182

What lie are you refering too ? Game is no different than in beta phase any every information released by Anet was true. When some idiot was talking to me about GW being "next generation" and "game like never before" I was asking him WHAT could this game have to be such a thing.

They never knew the answer. GW2 is just a new approach to what we know. And above anything else - successfull approach. They fixed most of my problems I have with MMO genre. That including stupid party system (need to form a party to help each other or join the fight), instances (MMO when you don't play with others is not an MMO), kill and fetch + backtracking (time sing for me), gear grind (game is skill based, thanks for that), crafting and discovering receipes (that was useless in other MMO most of the time - only few games like EVE or Fallen Earth make crafting worth your while) and world vs word (that is present only in few MMO).

They didn't discover America. They too effort to rebuild Europe :)

Originally posted by Loke666

EDIT:

Some will surely, but far from all . My guild is full with ex Wow players and most of them actually seems to moved on for good now. That doesnt mean that they neccesarily stay in GW2 but Wow is finally getting so old so it seems like they might move to something new instead.

I did say many and not all. But really, what my point is...There is overlap with these games playerbase. And I suspect that GW2's playerbase will have one of the largest playerbases that it will share with many other games. So the success of GW2 cannot be fully considered. in the GW2 vs WoW sense when talking about numbers as so many will play both.  So for that overlap. Who gets to claim them?

I guess what I am saying is, the reality is that threads like these are pointless because no one has all the facts and can speak for an entire playerbase.

This discussion has been closed.