Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why Are People Upset About GW2's Overwhelming Success?

Comments

• QuicklyScottQuicklyScott Member Posts: 433
    OP, how about you link one of those threads.  Without an example your OP looks like obvious (successful :L) bait.

• roo67roo67 Member Posts: 402

I would say a lot of negativity is comeing for WoW players . Theres been a belief amongst them that WoW is untouchable and everything else should fail because its not made by Blizzard .

I mean I play WoW now and again but I'm not fanatatical about it but I know lots of people who fall into that catagory.

GW2 has come as a bit of a shock because people are leaving or taking time off WoW to play it .

( of course some negativity comes from people in other games for similar reasons ).

My view is GW2 is the next big mmo . Maybe not WoW big but I would nt be suprised if it sells 3 million in the first quarter . When its released in China that could doube .

Every mmo in existance now thats got a sub is going to take some kind of a hit from it .

• NikkitaNikkita Member Posts: 790
    Originally posted by Bad.dog
    Originally posted by Nikkita
    Originally posted by sonoggi
    maybe mmorpg.com is where these people congregate, which would explain the frequency of such strange threads, maybe it's their alts posting. but why would you be MAD about it bros? the game is epic, and even when u look at it completely objectively, at the very least it's above the average. 

You tell us sonoggi. I mean you have done it all on SWTOR foums and more. Why people get mad every time a new MMOS is about to release? why were you mad about it? could it be possible that just like how you dis liked SWTOR and were very vocal about it for months others are doing the same? expressing their dis pleasure? 

If you have the right to be vocal about your hate for particular MMO why is it wrong for others to do the same?

Thanks for the insight ...seems like 2 wrongs make a right in your books

Did i say that? and whats wrong with expressing your dis pleasure with any MMO? its open forum and anyone is free to like or dislike the games.  

Even OP has all the right to hate SWTOR regardless of the fact that many are enjoying it. So why have different standards for GW2? others to have the right to express themselves in similar manner. There is nothing wrong here except for OP calling out those who dislike GW2 and lumping them all together into one group of 'mad bro's'.

Every fan is a hater and every hater is fan, the role changes according to the MMOS in question. And OP needed to be reminded of his history with SWTOR.

Bite Me

• KrytycalKrytycal Member Posts: 520
    Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter

And the post with a big check list of features and a big list of games next to it are fun still.

I regret informing you but  taking:

feature 1 from game A

feature 2 from game B

feature 3 from game C

feature 4 from game D

feature 5 from game E

feature 6 from game F

etc...

and then removing tanks and healers and,

combining all those features in the same game is:

Innovation.

The first mobile phone that wasn't a brick was innovative.

The first mobile phone with a camera was innovative dispite the fact  mobile phones and cameras already existed.

Except GW2 didn't take anything from the cell phone or photographic industry. It took things that already existed within the MMO industry itself. It is the equivalent of a cell phone manufacturer taking the camera from another cell phone and making some changes to it.

I'm tired of arguing over semantics around the word "innovative". I'm just gonna say GW2 is not nearly as revolutionary or different as ANET and their fans think.

• IfrianMMOIfrianMMO Member UncommonPosts: 252

M i the only one who despite liking gw2 and playing it,  hates the fanbois much more than the haters?

That blind, biased defense does no good to GW2´s cause.

• hikaru77hikaru77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,123
    Overhelming Sucess. is still behind swtor on sales so why swtor  wasnt an ¨overwherlming success¨?. 14 days for MoP, and i hate wow, but can wait to see what all the gw2 fanboys have to say when the active population leave to play WoW once again. 
  • NikkitaNikkita Member Posts: 790
    Originally posted by IfrianMMO

M i the only one who despite liking gw2 and playing it,  hates the fanbois much more than the haters?

I am having a blast in GW2 and yes i agree. I am more of an anti-fan. ;)

These over the top fans make rest of us look bad.

Bite Me

• Vunak23Vunak23 Member UncommonPosts: 633

And the post with a big check list of features and a big list of games next to it are fun still.

feature 1 from game A

feature 2 from game B

feature 3 from game C

feature 4 from game D

feature 5 from game E

feature 6 from game F

etc...

Innovation.

The first mobile phone with a camera was innovative dispite the fact  mobile phones and cameras already existed.

You cant say take this from that and this from that and that from that and then wrap it all up by making it seem like GW2 is the first MMO to not use the trinity. Like I said most skill based games don't have a trinity. 

They took a bunch of features from other games. Its not Innovative, revolutionary or any other word that might mean a type of progression. The only word that can define what ANET did with copying successful features from other games is smart. But those other words don't belong in the same sentence as GW2 or ANET.

"In the immediate future, we have this one, and then we’ve got another one that is actually going to be – so we’re going to have, what we want to do, is in January, what we’re targeting to do, this may or may not happen, so you can’t hold me to it. But what we’re targeting to do, is have a fun anniversary to the Ilum shenanigans that happened. An alien race might invade, and they might crash into Ilum and there might be some new activities that happen on the planet." ~Gabe Amatangelo

• slingblade25slingblade25 Member Posts: 33

I understang if you bought the game and you didnt like it, then wrote a review explaining why, then leave to go to another game or its forums.

BUT to hang around a forum of a game you do not care for and jump on anyone that has something positive to say about it?

GW2 is a fun game for many. Ive played many MMO titles in the last few years and this is the only one that was made with some degree of qauality.

See ya in game ;)

• Vunak23Vunak23 Member UncommonPosts: 633
    Originally posted by slingblade25

I understang if you bought the game and you didnt like it, then wrote a review explaining why, then leave to go to another game or its forums.

BUT to hang around a forum of a game you do not care for and jump on anyone that has something positive to say about it?

GW2 is a fun game for many. Ive played many MMO titles in the last few years and this is the only one that was made with some degree of qauality.

See ya in game ;)

I have no problem with people saying its fun for them or there friends. What I have a problem with is people making the game out to be something it isn't. Revolutionary to the MMO Genre. 

"In the immediate future, we have this one, and then we’ve got another one that is actually going to be – so we’re going to have, what we want to do, is in January, what we’re targeting to do, this may or may not happen, so you can’t hold me to it. But what we’re targeting to do, is have a fun anniversary to the Ilum shenanigans that happened. An alien race might invade, and they might crash into Ilum and there might be some new activities that happen on the planet." ~Gabe Amatangelo

GW2's fanboys are GW2's worst enemy. 50% of the negative threads in this forum could have been avoided if GW2 fans quit trying to pass the game for something that it isn't. 

I also partly blame GW2's marketing team (i.e. Our Time trailer), but hey, at least it's their job to hype and sensationilise the game to get more sales.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by hikaru77
    Overhelming Sucess. is still behind swtor on sales so why swtor  wasnt an ¨overwherlming success¨?. 14 days for MoP, and i hate wow, but can wait to see what all the gw2 fanboys have to say when the active population leave to play WoW once again. 

NEWS at 10 hikaru77 posted yet another negative comment about GW2! yippy!

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784

No you are not the only one.

Buy you ARE the only one too lazy to type the lengthy word "Am" image

• Bad.dogBad.dog Member UncommonPosts: 1,131
    Originally posted by Vunak23
    Originally posted by slingblade25

See ya in game ;)

I have no problem with people saying its fun for them or there friends. What I have a problem with is people making the game out to be something it isn't. Revolutionary to the MMO Genre. 

Can I see some proof of this ? I'd like to see some revolutionary to the MMO gender posts ....also include holy grail and second comming posts

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066
    Originally posted by Krytycal

feature 1 from game A

feature 2 from game B

feature 3 from game C

feature 4 from game D

feature 5 from game E

feature 6 from game F

etc...

Innovation.

Except GW2 didn't take anything from the cell phone or photographic industry. It took things that already existed within the MMO industry itself. It is the equivalent of a cell phone manufacturer taking the camera from another cell phone and making some changes to it.

I'm tired of arguing over semantics around the word "innovative". I'm just gonna say GW2 is not nearly as revolutionary or different as ANET and their fans think.

It doesn't matter where the original comes from.

A phone with a higher resolution camera than all other competitors is innovating.

GW2 being different or revolutionary will depend on the player and what it wants - for someone happy with the current crop of MMORPGs the differences might be unimportant,but for someone having problems enjoying current MMORPGs due to certain design options, the removal of those barriers are huge since it makes you move from "not quite there!" to "having fun",

Others yet want something completely different, GW2 isn't something that abandons what current themepark MMORPGs are.

And again (not just for you but for some other posters talking about the sam topic): it isn't the same having to go throught a dozen games to experiment a certain aspect/feature instead of having them work all together at the same time in ways you couldn't experiment in those other games where only one feature is present.

But I guess the problem is that the society embelished the words "evolution","revolution" and "innovation" to be extremey positive and bringing only good.

And that isn't the meaning of the words - "a step backwards" can also be an evolution, a revolution can create a situation that is worse and innovation may affect aspects that aren't very glamorous.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• FadedbombFadedbomb Member Posts: 2,081
    Originally posted by Nikkita

I am having a blast in GW2 and yes i agree. I am more of an anti-fan. ;)

These over the top fans make rest of us look bad.

It always happens pre & post launch of a product. It happened with SWTOR, RIFT, AION, TERA, and the list goes on.

They're simply trying to desperately defend their opinion no matter if they were right or wrong to begin with they'll simply yell at you until they're right regardless.

I had to deal with this pre-GW2 launch when I said Dynamic Events aren't dynamic and I got RABIDLY attacked called a hater, troll, etc, reported by half the forum.

Same thing with SWTOR when I claimed the game was shallow, lacked substance, and had zero replayability. (Go check all of my posts on SWTOR, Rift, Aion, Tera, TSW, GW2, etc). I come off as a hater/troll because I try to talk sense into people who are so off in the "Crazy Zone" in a product that isn't anything new.

Same thing here, people getting pissed off because people are calling GW2 what it is (some going overboard on the negative side, but w/e) and attacking people calling them trolls/haters/etc. Then it gets WORSE when they make threads LIKE THIS ONE that makes the normal players of GW2 look REALLY REALLY bad.

You're not alone, and we know you normal GW2 fans aren't bad people whatsoever. You're just playing something you enjoy and don't care what others say. That's cool, and how it should be. You get what GW2 is and is not.

:)

The Theory of Conservative Conservation of Ignorant Stupidity:
    Having a different opinion must mean you're a troll.

• Stx11Stx11 Member Posts: 415
    Originally posted by hikaru77

What will they say... 

hmm...

"OMG Thank You!!! I can get into WvW without a 4 hour queue now!!!"

Unfortunately it'll likely be followed 3-6 weeks later with more complaining when the WoW-ers return to GW2 after finishing the initial Pandaland content.

feature 1 from game A

feature 2 from game B

feature 3 from game C

feature 4 from game D

feature 5 from game E

feature 6 from game F

etc...

Innovation.

A phone with a higher resolution camera than all other competitors is innovating.

I've never seen people claiming their higher resolution camera phone is going to save the stale cell phone industry or destroy cell phones with lower resolutions.

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066

feature 1 from game A

feature 2 from game B

feature 3 from game C

feature 4 from game D

feature 5 from game E

feature 6 from game F

etc...

Innovation.

I've never seen people claiming their higher resolution camera phone is going to save the stale cell phone industry or destroy cell phones with lower resolutions.

That is because you don't visit gadget forums, Or Apple,

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• Stx11Stx11 Member Posts: 415

So is Mark Kern (http://www.mmorpg.com/showFeature.cfm/feature/6710/General-Quest-Hubs-Are-Dead-Finally.html) nothing more than a "raging fanboi" too? 

There are very few people proclaiming GW2 is the greatest MMO ever - however there are many more proclaiming that it is for them personally. If it is the "most innovative" MMO they've ever personally played why is that such an issue for you?

Critics, fans, and industry professionals all agree GW2 does quite a few things differently, is definitely the first game to have them all in one package, and generally feel does them well. You're completely entited to your opinion that they are all wrong, but while it actually is considered healthy to be happy and excited about something, are you sure your need to be "the Defender of True Innovation" is really good or productive for you?

feature 1 from game A

feature 2 from game B

feature 3 from game C

feature 4 from game D

feature 5 from game E

feature 6 from game F

etc...

Innovation.

That is because you don't visit gadget forums, Or Apple,

You just might be right. I do have a couple of friends who can't keep their mouth shut about their overpriced macbook laptops.

It still shows that fans can sometimes be a lot worse than the product itself.

• latinkurolatinkuro Member Posts: 121

feature 1 from game A

feature 2 from game B

feature 3 from game C

feature 4 from game D

feature 5 from game E

feature 6 from game F

etc...

Innovation.

so adding existing tech to a phone is innovation making it smaller is innovation, but GW2 didn't innovate shit ?

you're all hypocrites YES I said it ! they took the best single features from many games and improved upon them presenting them to us in a whole new way that has never been seen before, yet you say they haven't innovated shit ?

Hypocrites !! 

you hate the game so much you will not accept anything that says it's a good game !

Don't bother trying to reply, I won't be posting on this site anymore, it's called mmorpg.com but it's just a moldy cave filled with the worst the gaming community has to offer. (some exceptions may apply)

/deleting account.

Originally posted by Stx11

So is Mark Kern (http://www.mmorpg.com/showFeature.cfm/feature/6710/General-Quest-Hubs-Are-Dead-Finally.html) nothing more than a "raging fanboi" too? 

There are very few people proclaiming this the greatest MMO ever - however there are many more proclaiming that it is for them personally. If it is the "most innovative" MMO they've ever personally played why is that such an issue for you?

Critics, fans, and industry professionals all agree GW2 does quite a few things differently, is definitely the first game to have them all in one package, and generally feel does them well. You're completely entited to your opinion that they are all wrong, but while it actually is considered healthy to be happy and excited about something, are you sure your need to be "the Defender of True Innovation" is really good or productive for you?

That's precisely the post I directed my last reply to (i.e. destroy cellphones with lower resolutions). In case you don't know the background, the reason why Mark Kern is being so dramatic about DEs and how they're going to kill quest hubs is because his own game, Firefall, uses dynamic events in the form of "Chosen" invasions as well. He has his own agenda to say what he said.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying Dynamic Events are bad. They aren't. They are just another way to present quests, and they have been around for a while now. Some people love it, some don't. There is no need to be so sensationalist about it. Unless of course you're that idiot who walks out of the latest Transformers movie thinking it was the best movie ever conceived. Hint: there is no such thing.

• TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,551
    let them all be upset. It's a great game.

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    Originally posted by TheHavok

If anything, mmorpg.com houses more fanboys for GW2 then anything else. 

This might be true, but players have always moaned and groaned for something new, or for things that need to be changed. Questing/hubs, loot-stealing, mob-stealing, casual gaming, no raids, etc..   A-Net delivers it, and MMO fans are still not satisfied.  

This discussion has been closed.