Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

9 ways GW2 is better then any other MMO.

IsturiIsturi Member Posts: 1,509

This is according to Matt Peckham of Time magazine. Do you agree with his opinion? Here is the countdown:

9. Dynamic everything, wherever you go.

8. No one has better PvE quests.

7. Waypoint travel

6. What you do in Tyria actually changes Tyria.

5. You can hit your level maximum just by cooking, healing and exploring.

4. The intuitive crafting system.

3. The way your character scales to lower-level areas.

2. The build-focused, action-angled, profession-agnostic combat.

1. The design team at ArenaNet couldn’t be more responsive.

I personally disagree with numbers 5, 4, and 2.

5. Because you can hit your level cap in most MMO's just by cooking, and exploring.

4. Because all the better MMO's out now have a intutive crafting system. Some even better then GW2.

2. Because As Matt himself mention this idea was first presented to us in D3 one point goes to Blizzard. Well a few more can go to Blizzard but that is another thread.

Comments

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    didn't someone else post this not long ago? anyways I still like these 60 reasons http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzEqJAg8460 :)

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629
    9 things is really stretching it. It has one thing  going for it.... No sub fee.
    "The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• IsturiIsturi Member Posts: 1,509
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    didn't someone else post this not long ago? anyways I still like these 60 reasons http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzEqJAg8460 :)

Im not sure this article was posted today by Matt so prob not.

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380
    Originally posted by Isturi

Im not sure this article was written today by Matt so prob not.

Nice sig!

ah yea was just a similar topic with similar points although think that one was 6 things:)

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

Originally posted by Badaboom

Nice sig!

so much milla in here!

• IsturiIsturi Member Posts: 1,509

ah yea was just a similar topic with similar points although think that one was 6 things:)

LOL it is hard to keep up with every posts in this forum. I personaly share threads that people may enjoy and try to keep current. If someone else beets me to the punch well so be it.

• FadedbombFadedbomb Member Posts: 2,081

This is according to Matt Peckham of Time magazine. Do you agree with his opinion? Here is the countdown:

9. Dynamic everything, wherever you go.   -Um no, nothing is dynamic. Events repeat, and can "branch off" to spawn other events, but once complete they repeat over and over 100% static just like Warhammer PQ's.

8. No one has better PvE quests. -Um, what? This is 100% subjective.

7. Waypoint travel -Other games had this, how is GW2 better?

6. What you do in Tyria actually changes Tyria. -Uh, again...no? Has this guy even played GW2?

5. You can hit your level maximum just by cooking, healing and exploring. -Nope, not new!

4. The intuitive crafting system. -UHHHH, seriously has this guy played GW2?!

3. The way your character scales to lower-level areas. -Whether or not this is "better" is still being debated. So far I'd give it a mediocre "meh".

2. The build-focused, action-angled, profession-agnostic combat. -What?

1. The design team at ArenaNet couldn’t be more responsive. -Again, 100% subjective as I know several thousand people who would disagree with you completely.

5. Because you can hit your level cap in most MMO's just by cooking, and exploring.

4. Because all the better MMO's out now have a intutive crafting system. Some even better then GW2.

2. Because As Matt himself mention this idea was first presented to us in D3 one point goes to Blizzard. Well a few more can go to Blizzard but that is another thread.

From that review, Matt Peckham must have only played WoW. Sorry, it had to be said :(.

The Theory of Conservative Conservation of Ignorant Stupidity:
    Having a different opinion must mean you're a troll.

• ThorbrandThorbrand Member Posts: 1,198

I only disagree with 9. More people need to learn what being dynamic means. Only one game had or ever will have dynamic events and that was AC. Any event that is triggered and once triggered is the same event is not dynamic. But that doesn't not mean I am not enjoying the PvE, I think it is great and fun to play.

I do wish they had dynamic events!

Originally posted by Fadedbomb

From that review, Matt Peckham must have only played WoW. Sorry, it had to be said :(.

Doesn't it make sense to compare a steak from a Steakhouse to the big mac from McDonalds?

• ThraliaThralia Member Posts: 219

9. so dynamic its dynamicly the same thing over and over again. can u say scripted events?

8. Simply Wrong. u simply dont have enough mmorpg expirience to judge.

7. kills the BIG WORLD feel. wow did it way better with flying waypoints and ships,.

6. yes it changes it for 10 minutes until the bandits that u JUSt killed attack the same village again. LMAO

5. that is not better. u can hit max LVL in many games just by PVP (warhammer) and u get xp for every job in WoW when u gather or craft anything. u just need the time todo it lol.

4.i seen better and  and way more intuitive so this is absolutely no reason. it has all been done before and even better.

3.that is a point but its not really important i mean who wants todo the same areas again and again n again? in many mmos u have several different areas for  1 level range (like 38-48). maybe other find it important but it dont wanna expirience the same stuff 2 or 3 times.

2. well he pulled that straight out of his ass lol. u can say that about soooo many mmos.

i dont know who that person is but i never see stuff like this about other mmos cause usually u dont need ppl to tell u why its so good n stuff..u just try it out.

GW2 has definitely ruined other MMOs for me though.  Never again will I play a game in which it seems your on rails and have to go from quest hub to quest hub.  I love just running around and exploring.  Currently level 41 with about 23% map completion.  The scale of this game is so massive.
  • AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

Nice sig!

Something has got to change...this is too much for me to take in.  Bruce Willis must make his choice now!

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• RexNebularRexNebular Member Posts: 259

Sounds like a list by someone who hasn't played an mmo before and actually believed in whatever Anet's marketing told him.

Originally posted by Amjoco

Nice sig!

Something has got to change...this is too much for me to take in.  Bruce Willis must make his choice now!

Rob Roy (your sig) has the BEST bad guy villian in cinema.  Even more so than the A;an Rickman in Robin Hood and Die hard. 

• FadedbombFadedbomb Member Posts: 2,081
    Originally posted by RexNebular

Sounds like a list by someone who hasn't played an mmo before and actually believed in whatever Anet's marketing told him.

Bingo

The Theory of Conservative Conservation of Ignorant Stupidity:
    Having a different opinion must mean you're a troll.

Originally posted by Thralia

9. so dynamic its dynamicly the same thing over and over again. can u say scripted events?

8. Simply Wrong. u simply dont have enough mmorpg expirience to judge.

7. kills the BIG WORLD feel. wow did it way better with flying waypoints and ships,.

6. yes it changes it for 10 minutes until the bandits that u JUSt killed attack the same village again. LMAO

5. that is not better. u can hit max LVL in many games just by PVP (warhammer) and u get xp for every job in WoW when u gather or craft anything. u just need the time todo it lol.

4.i seen better and  and way more intuitive so this is absolutely no reason. it has all been done before and even better.

3.that is a point but its not really important i mean who wants todo the same areas again and again n again? in many mmos u have several different areas for  1 level range (like 38-48). maybe other find it important but it dont wanna expirience the same stuff 2 or 3 times.

2. well he pulled that straight out of his ass lol. u can say that about soooo many mmos.

i dont know who that person is but i never see stuff like this about other mmos cause usually u dont need ppl to tell u why its so good n stuff..u just try it out.

All your rebuttals are specultaion and your opinion. No facts. I honor your dedication in the bashing of GW2 but I don't truly understand why you are doing it. ;(

Googled took 1 minute. 

Rift vs WoW

Aion vs WoW

DAoC vs WoW vs AoC

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    8 tsw has
    3 coh did this first, coh also let's you scale friends up and scales dungeons to the number of players in them!
    9 not really, to be truly dynamic it needs to be player driven - e.g. eve
    6 temporarily, then the des reset. It's not the case in pvp either due to the reset and server shuffle (unlike prior games with such pvp like daoc and planetside, where it stayed that way until someone took it back)

And I like gw2
    Originally posted by Amjoco

Nice sig!

Rob Roy (your sig) has the BEST bad guy villian in cinema.  Even more so than the A;an Rickman in Robin Hood and Die hard. 

OT; The movie to me was quite a wonderful sleeper. I had never heard of it and picked it up many years ago on a whim (I love the time frame) and it made it to the top of my movie list!  I would like to see a movie with Liam Neeson, Mel Gibson (before he lost it) and Bruce Williis. They would be awesome in a Terry Brooks Shannara movie!

• mindw0rkmindw0rk Member UncommonPosts: 1,356
    First list Ive ever seen where every point is complete BS
  • NikkitaNikkita Member Posts: 790

I don't know how leveling through cooking was a plus?

This has been fixed now by the way. They removed certaing ingredients from NPC and have brought cooking on par with other professions. it is not on easy mode leveling anymore in case someone rushes to take cooking profession for fast leveling after reading this topic.

Bite Me

Originally posted by pauly6478

9. Dynamic everything, wherever you go.

8. No one has better PvE quests.

7. Waypoint travel

6. What you do in Tyria actually changes Tyria.

5. You can hit your level maximum just by cooking, healing and exploring.

4. The intuitive crafting system.

3. The way your character scales to lower-level areas.

2. The build-focused, action-angled, profession-agnostic combat.

1. The design team at ArenaNet couldn’t be more responsive.

Hey fanboi give it a few more weeks you will catch on at how crappy this game really is. GW1 was an epic game they took everything amazing about it and said "meh lets change it all."

Defend it all you want rage on me all you want. Promise you in a few weeks everyones opinion will change.

Some of us are just gifted at seeing dissapointment way ahead of time guess others need to be slapped in the face with it.

Games should not go by weeks played but by how many hours are played.

Lets say you play 2 hours a day on average. So that would be roughly 60 hours in a month. I have played 150 hours so far so that is about 2.5 months worth of gameplay and I have no desire to quit. I have completed about 35% of the map on one character. I can't imagine the replay abiltiy of the game, it is quite awesome! Definitely worth $60.

• MMOwandererMMOwanderer Member Posts: 415

Some i agree and some i can't comment on, like how responsive is Anet. But:

8- While i think overall the DE system is better, TSW as better and far more unique individual quests, IMO of course.

4- It's not really different from standart crafting systems.

6- Ok, now this one makes me go: "Not sure if serious or just stupid".

• pauly6478pauly6478 Member Posts: 276
    Well I wish I never played GW1 then I wouldnt know how bad of a job they did with GW2
    Originally posted by pauly6478
    Well I wish I never played GW1 then I wouldnt know how bad of a job they did with GW2

I feel the opposite. I played GW1 and couldn't get through the movement. I did like the henchman part!