Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So, the Devs are listening...but to who?

BeanpuieBeanpuie Member UncommonPosts: 812

How many times are we going to here this:

"omg the devs never listen"

and then we they hear the complaints -- and act upon it then it turns around to:

but THEN, when they go the extra mile, personally talk to the players, take their criticism, weight the options between possibility ,reality and  La La land -- they act upon it.  however:

Lets make this more clear:

latest patch involving the balance of Ground vs. Air, was triggered from the list of issues of enemy air not feeling threatened by any form of AA fire.  Aircraft would bathe in abit of AA fire, and return with fire of their own that would rack up kills in the double digits until either they die or run away to rearm. (i was one of the aircraft).

The end result:

AA is much stronger and a real threat against aircraft,  with ground troops now having extra teeth to fight against Air, the flyboys are very upset; insert your own assumptions.

Now, Higby has announced that Flak AA will be getting a nerf next patch. 

For everyone thats in beta, I can only hope people are paying attention to this continious seesaw battle between the two groups. and instead of  sitting on the sideline mumbling about the devs not listening, the focus should be more of being proactive in finding a common group with the opposing group AND pushing for a middle ground.

-keep making those videos, some have gotten the attention of the devs by posting such videos

-compare/contrast between patches, esspecially now and when the next patch rolls in (which will be soon)

heres some video footage  of  a Lightning tank  Skyguard Variant. Before and after Patch:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXQ91GlDbQY&feature=relmfu (before patch)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2Mq1t6gF8k&feature=relmfu (????? mix)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRB1xNbv-zM&feature=player_embedded (after patch)

so ya,  those clammoring for those changes  (sans 3rd person/ inventory) , squeekiest wheel gets the oil.

good luck

Comments

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

Yes, the devs do listen, but what they hear from the playerbase is just in addition to what they SEE in game as players and what the metrics tell them. The PS2 dev team seems to have some very clear ideas how they want the game to flow. Some of those ideas will be tried and will fail. Then they will be changed. That is what a real beta test is all about.

Balancing is always an ongoing process, because how players use (or abuse) ingame systems is never 100% predictable. No team of 40 devs and testers can ever foresee what every one of their hundreds of thousands of players will come up with. Unless the game rules are extremely limited.

At least the AA buff has reduced the danger of mid-air collisions (usually with friendlies) because the skies were too crowded image

But the buff was too extreme and has made AA MAX'es much too powerful. Now it will be trimmed-back to get closer to the sweet spot. Until the next balance patch, I will be "abusing" my dual-burster AA MAX to the max, hehe

PS2 beta is not a pre-launch demo. Things will change a lot in the next few months. They already have in the last few weeks. There's a character wipe scheduled in the next 2 weeks or so, then we start all over again.

• fadisfadis Member Posts: 469

Balancing will happen many times before launch... and after... I wouldn't get too worked up about one patch or another.

If you have any question about the direction the game is heading - I'd suggest you watch some of the developer vids, or even participate in the livestreams... I don't think I've ever seen a group of developers so open about their game. 

Check out the latest vid on PlanetsideUniverse... Higby is even dragging guys off their desks to come in the room and answer specific questions about vehicle balancing.

• BeanpuieBeanpuie Member UncommonPosts: 812
    Originally posted by fadis

Balancing will happen many times before launch... and after... I wouldn't get too worked up about one patch or another.

If you have any question about the direction the game is heading - I'd suggest you watch some of the developer vids, or even participate in the livestreams... I don't think I've ever seen a group of developers so open about their game. 

Check out the latest vid on PlanetsideUniverse... Higby is even dragging guys off their desks to come in the room and answer specific questions about vehicle balancing.

+1

the audience and people looking from the outside really have no excuse to claim the PS2 dev team is not open or communicating with the number of interviews and podcasts they produced.

additionally a good number of the podcasts featured a number of PS1 vets sending them questions.