Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Metacritic Speaks

124»

Comments

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916
    Originally posted by sonoggi
    Originally posted by adam_nox

Not sure how she can quest with you when there's no quests.

Pretty much every major mmo release has had favorable reviews.  Having the bestest doesn't really mean much.

completely untrue. every major release has failed either the users, or the critics. 

Completely untrue. Not EVERY MMO has failed either the users or the critics. World of Warcraft in 2004 completely blew both users and critics away. Even GW2 pales by comparion. World of Warcraft received super high critic scores 90-95%+ (a lot of critics gave it PERFECT score of 100) and the users also loved it as well. User score was up there with critic score at 9 I think.

But I guess you were not playing MMOs back then so you have no way of knowing.

Can you also point me to those critic reviews which give it crazy scores cause I can see that IGN and Gamespot haven't given GW2 any scores.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• Requiem1066Requiem1066 Member Posts: 274
    Originally posted by TomBaker_fan
    Originally posted by Requiem1066

Should be a law against using metacritic, steam, xfire as any type of valid arguement .. I would only ever value something like metacritic if they didn't allow reviews until 2-3weeks after launch.

If you look at a lot of games on there  ,, people start to score the game 10/10 or 0/10 within hours of it going live .. and people hold value in it ? *shakes head*

Should  be a law? Someone needs a board break, holy cow.

That be you :) If you took the Law comment as anything overly serious jeez .

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935
    Well, a lot of games rate highly on metacritic.  Are we not permitted to speak negatively about them?  Because I see a lot of that being done here.  Or does this rule apply solely to GW2 right now?
  • AwDiddumsAwDiddums Member UncommonPosts: 416
    Originally posted by adam_nox

Not sure how she can quest with you when there's no quests.

Pretty much every major mmo release has had favorable reviews.  Having the bestest doesn't really mean much.

Just because there isn't some glowie icon above the head of an NPC does not mean there are no quests in the game, try speaking to a few named NPC's you'll be surprised.

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192
    Originally posted by roo67
    Originally posted by tank017

I like the game and it should get a good score..

but I take professional reviewers opinions with a grain of salt.

Ditto but the user score is 8.5 on metacritic which is pretty good . Compare it with WoWs user score of 6.8

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/world-of-warcraft

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/guild-wars-2

That speaks volumes as to which way the tide is turning .

And the moral of the story is..

When it comes down to it,the only opinion that matters in the end is your own.

• ValuaValua Member Posts: 520
    Originally posted by Eir_S
    Originally posted by Valua

GW2 is probably one of the best MMO, but compared to some single player games its not special at all.

Who even uses single player games as a standard to judge MMOs?  Really.  

As for me, my Metacritic score was a 9.  I felt it deserved it.  I didn't do it because I want the game to succeed, I did it because I've already played it more than most of my Steam games and haven't even cut halfway through its total value.  That means a lot to me for a measly $60.

Well the OP clearly indicated that he said "some of the highest user score in gaming history."

I've played loads of none MMO games better than Guild Wars. Pokemon games, Skyrim, Zelda Ocarina of Time, Mass Effect 2 etc, these games blow GW2 out of the water as games.

GW2 is a strong MMO, I give it a solid 7, that might go up or down with time, which is why I haven't posted my review yet like most fangurls or anti-fangurls.

I strongly believe it doesn't deserve a 9, not yet anyway, but how would I know if it does, and how would you know?

MMO's are made to be long term games, yet you've gave it a 9 after what a week of release and a few days of beta? Bit too soon don't you think?

• VortigonVortigon Member UncommonPosts: 723

Anyone who blindly accepts the views of any critic as having the slightest SHRED! of value whatsoever - should not be allowed out of the house on their own! They are incapable of thinking on any meaningful level.

Most reviewers in the game industry have NO CLUE what they are talking about and appeal only to people who agree with their views.

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916
    Originally posted by Vortigon

Anyone who blindly accepts the views of any critic as having the slightest SHRED! of value whatsoever - should not be allowed out of the house on their own! They are incapable of thinking on any meaningful level.

Most reviewers in the game industry have NO CLUE what they are talking about and appeal only to people who agree with their views.

Blindly accepting critic reviews, ofc not but critic reviews are okay to decide whether you want to buy a game or not.

Lets look at user reviews shall we? User reviews tend (by tend I mean 99% of the time) to be extremely onesided. If the user likes game X they will just go on on and about how great it is completely ignoring the bad sides. If they don't like it, they will ignore all that is good about the game.

So how do you expect the reader to form an objective view of the game being reviewed when users don't look at the game from different perspectives. There's never a "if you like x, you will like/not like the game" etc. You will usually get some form of mockery along the lines if you like dumbed down games and you are retarded, you will like this game.

Did I mention all the 1s and 0s scores on metacritic? Those are brilliant. A person doesn't like ONE feature and they give the whole game a 1 or 0. So how the hell do you take user scores seriously?

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• gessekai332gessekai332 Member UncommonPosts: 861
    i am a guild wars 2 fan but even i know that metacritic is garbage. i watched an interview right after launch with mike o brien and he didnt seem to give 2 sh1ts about metacritic either.

Most memorable games: AoC(Tryanny PvP), RIFT, GW, GW2, Ragnarok Online, Aion, FFXI, FFXIV, Secret World, League of Legends (Silver II rank)

• KhinRuniteKhinRunite Member Posts: 879
    It's going to be interesting to see what the average would be as time passes by. Are we seeing another WoW or SWToR trend? Only time wil tell.
  • ShadoedShadoed Member UncommonPosts: 1,459
    Originally posted by fivoroth
    So how do you expect the reader to form an objective view of the game being reviewed when users don't look at the game from different perspectives. There's never a "if you like x, you will like/not like the game" etc. You will usually get some form of mockery along the lines if you like dumbed down games and you are retarded, you will like this game.
    At the same time how do you expect the 'press' to form an objective point of view when they are spoonfed just the right press releases direct from the developers/publisher, handed freebies along with free access to the game and even given their own specially prepared beta versions. If you look back over some of the Ten Ton Hammer stuff they were rating this game as the best MMO ever back in February when they had no idea whether the stuff they were fed was even going to be delivered.
    There are a few companies over the years that have taught the game industry that you need to get the press onside as early as possible and make sure they stay onside, this isn't unique to the games industry by a long chalk but it does mean that you have to take published articles with a pinch of salt.
    This game may well deserve all of the good press it is getting, but i would rather listen to the guys and gals that have handed over their own hard earned cash for the game than someone who is under the pressure of a deadline and a pushy publisher.

It must be Thursday, i never could get the hang of Thursdays.