Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A New Beginning[Ryzom]

GalaxoGalaxo Member UncommonPosts: 389

"This late summer will mark a major turning point for Ryzom. It has been 8 years since Ryzom's launch and since then we have always kept all three worlds and every character. This represents today over 500,000 players.

Unfortunately, with the current market and financial enviroment, we have had to make a difficult, but necessary decision, for the continuation of the game of Ryzom:Saturday 22 September, we will regroup and merge the communities and servers to form one single community, with one server. This will clear and reset all characters. Your account (login, password, etc.) will remain unchanged. Attention: the names of new characters will be allocated on a first come, first serve basis, so do not wait to recreate your character if you wish a particular name.

We know that you have spent a lot of time on your current characters. It is you that has helped keep this game running as long as it has. You are an unbelievable community that other MMO games and players envy. We would not have made ??this decision if there was an alternative, and we realise that many of you will be dissapointed. We ask for your support to make this transition as painless as possible.

Changes in the new world

• Outposts will no longer give experience catalyzers.
  • All subscribed accounts will earn twice the XP of non-susbscribed accounts.
  • Adjustments of the prices of NPC vendors.
  • The WebIog has been improved to allow the easy addition of new applications (which could be encoded by players).
  • New achievement system.

Advantages of a new beginning

• All players will be in the same universe and therefore you will have a more alive, interactive world.
  • The price asjustments and reset will restore the value of the dapper and trade.
  • You will be able to create multi-national guilds for advantages in online presence.
  • You can discover or rediscover Silan and Atys with your (new) friends.
  • With everyone starting again from scratch, you will be able to show others what you are capable of and who are the stronger and more skilled Homins of the New Ryzom.
  • More Customer Support available during the day and more frequent events.

Events before the new beginning

Starting from tonight and until the closing of the old servers, we will implement a series of events that will help you earn "starter packs" on the new server that will facilitate your progress in the game. The best pack contains, amongst other things, a set of level 200 white Marauder Medium Armor.

These events will also give you a way to earn the ability to reserve and save the name and looks of your favorite character.

Before the closing of the old servers, you will be able to have new experiences, such as having unlimited money, items that you have never owned before, and many other things to discover..."

Comments

• DraronDraron Member Posts: 993
    Really thinking about getting into the game once the wipe comes. Surely the game would have enough of a population on one server to make it worth playing.
  • maplestonemaplestone Member UncommonPosts: 3,099
    A full wipe?  Yikes.
    Riotgirl
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
          This sounds pretty awful really......I feel sorry for the people that have supported this game for years and built their skills up to 250 only to have them wiped out.....The server merge may not help much as they are merging three different regions (english, german, and french) so the language barrier may be a huge issue......
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by Draron
    Really thinking about getting into the game once the wipe comes. Surely the game would have enough of a population on one server to make it worth playing.

That might be debateable. Go to the official forums. All the vets are quitting.

Riotgirl
  • JackSmthJackSmth Member Posts: 17

I also feel sorry for all the vets that spend so many time into their characters but I really will be there when they wiped everything.

I've tried Ryzom a couple of times but after the starting area it was pretty empty player wise, a new start can change that.

Again, it sucks for all those people that have played Ryzom for so long and paid every month just to see their characters wipe, but a new start with merged servers is better than shut down.

I will come back and play the game for sure after the wipe hoping for a high population in the world.

• SaintPhilipSaintPhilip Member Posts: 713

WOW- (seems a bit harsh...)

I have always cried out for a new server but a WIPE???? Damn. 

Sorry for the Vets BUT I will be there when it happens. I have loved Ryzoms potential but the game was too "top heavy" and "locked down" for anyone to really start out and experience the game properly.

Even the guilds were all at peace when I was playing (war too expensive, agreements reached etc...) and thus I expect a good deal of  territory wars and fun to be had upon the server wipe.

Sorry for the Vets as that is really kinda sucky (should have just started a fresh server and many Vets would have 'alt-ed' and noobs join anyhow) but a fresh start is what this game needed.

Whens the date? I will be hitting the official forum so nvm =P

• WolfenprideWolfenpride Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,988
    I'll be giving it another go after the wipe. Don't mind starting over, it does look like we will miss out on some of the bonuses from the festivals before they wipe though.

Yeah, I think this was a pretty good move- I will be starting on the start day (sept 22) and will sub off the bat and give this game a really worthy shot- There was soooooo much potential here but money was so worthless and actually so was grinding skills as a noob.

I played for about 2 months  back a couple years ago (there was no F2P at the time) and while I enjoyed it, there was no economy to speak of and my grinding skills after 2 months really wasnt getting me ahead. People gifted items to noobs which I couldnt make (after a couple months) so there was no way in hell I could profit from my grinding (if this makes sense)

The community was wonderful , the game was wonderful but it was as if all the wars were over and it was a static orderly world controled by the vets and impossible for the newbs to really make an impact.

I am VERY exited about this news. Hell, they solved my only complaint with the game and the reson I didnt continue to play. Now, I have a chance to be a master trader/crafter and begin making money (which will matter and not be overly inflated) and get in with a guild who can set goals and conquer lands. =D

-I understand the vets being pisse and the Forums over there are in an uproar. If it were me- I would be mad as Hell. But I honestly think this is a good thing for anyone but the top 10% or so of players. I think this helps the game as a whole. I think many want a fresh start .

Anyhow, I cannot wait although I feel bad for the vets.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
         SIlan is going to be very crowded the first few days after the wipe.....IIRC alot of the quests there you dont want alot of other people around as your going after very specific things and probably wouldnt want to compete with others for those objectives.....We'll see how it goes but Im not holding out much hope for this.
  • InktomiInktomi Member UncommonPosts: 663

Then they should not charge for the game then. Everything that people worked and paid for will be gone. I always say about these MMO's, "You don't own anything."

Riotgirl
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955

That’s one way of handling it, not sure it is the best one. They could have transferred everyone on to the same server and changed duplicate names as a temporary measure. It should revitalise the early levels though. Lets see how it goes.

• CalerxesCalerxes Member UncommonPosts: 1,641
    Originally posted by maplestone
    A full wipe?  Yikes.

Yeah, I know someone who has over 5 years of progression on one toon he was hoping to max out all skills to 250 this is going to be one shock for him. I shall give it ago again as I had a very similar experience to SaintPhilip and that put me off playing long term.

This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.

Originally posted by Inktomi

Then they should not charge for the game then. Everything that people worked and paid for will be gone. I always say about these MMO's, "You don't own anything."

Its asys that in the EULA of most MMO's you pay to access the server thats it.

This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.

• emotaemota Member UncommonPosts: 413
    One of the best mmo I've ever played. Will come back for this, will be awesome.
  • pyrofreakpyrofreak Member UncommonPosts: 1,481

I'm immensely concerned about the number of people who don't actually play Ryzom, yet think this is a good idea. The only peace of mind I gain from this is that I know it's going to end about the same way SWG did, trying to attract new players while alienating their already existing customers. This is a niche game, an old game. This is a game that is never going to attract large numbers of new players and retain them long term.

The server merge? Great idea for a game of this size. It reduces overhead and helps maintain profitability for the company. The character wipe? You don't even do that sort of thing in a MUD where playerbases are relatively fleeting and overhead costs are nearly nonexistant.

Riotgirl

Now with 57.3% more flames!

• maplestonemaplestone Member UncommonPosts: 3,099
    Originally posted by Calerxes

People do not base their emotions and attitudes on legal fine print.  The entire nature of MMOs is dependant on players developing a sense of ownership over the database entries associated with an account which is at odds with a literal reading of the EULA.

So yes, publishers can usually *legally* do anything they want to the game, but they can't expect there won't be consequences in consumer hivemind.

Riotgirl
  • QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,796

There was a big problem with Ryzom. the community was too friendly and it killed any kind of achievement in game. You joined and in a matter fo days you got best armour/weapon/cats etc. from players. Sure you could say "no" but the rest of the world would move on without you. Without vets with years of mats to craft anything in the game, community as a whole will have some kind of goal. Who knows maybe there will be even some kind of economy. =P

I hope it will work for Ryzom in the end. I will give it a try.

From what they wrote it is  a matter of: we wipe and try to sruvive of close down ryzom right now. So I understand bitterness of loosing your char it seems they have no choice.

• InktomiInktomi Member UncommonPosts: 663

People do not base their emotions and attitudes on legal fine print.  The entire nature of MMOs is dependant on players developing a sense of ownership over the database entries associated with an account which is at odds with a literal reading of the EULA.

So yes, publishers can usually *legally* do anything they want to the game, but they can't expect there won't be consequences in consumer hivemind.

Exactly my point. There is nothing guaranteeing that the servers will even stay up. For the most part I look at MMO's as a lease or at best a rental. I never fall in love with a character, fully aware that if the server is closed or if there is a wipe, it all goes away. But you have to admit, for the people that spent years in cultivating a character are watching all their time, effort and money they paid go down the drain. It's still going to sting.

• KopogeroKopogero Member UncommonPosts: 1,685

Exactly my point. There is nothing guaranteeing that the servers will even stay up. For the most part I look at MMO's as a lease or at best a rental. I never fall in love with a character, fully aware that if the server is closed or if there is a wipe, it all goes away. But you have to admit, for the people that spent years in cultivating a character are watching all their time, effort and money they paid go down the drain. It's still going to sting.

Interesting thing thu is that there is "karma" involved. Best example SOE with Star Wars Galaxies. Took me over a year to become light jedi knight Pre-CU, then I get perma banned for a single sentance I said on the forums to someone who was on my friend list. He gave me massive xp loss and collected the bounty and on top was braging on forums. This ban was also done without any prior violation to my account in over a year. Then few months afterwards NGE happened and the game died, then shut down couple years later.

SOE's reputation got destroyed and you should see how they handle DCUO now. It's one of the best MMORPG's avaliable with a F2P model that offers the best value compared to most MMORPG's.

Originally posted by QSatu

There was a big problem with Ryzom. the community was too friendly and it killed any kind of achievement in game. You joined and in a matter fo days you got best armour/weapon/cats etc. from players. Sure you could say "no" but the rest of the world would move on without you. Without vets with years of mats to craft anything in the game, community as a whole will have some kind of goal. Who knows maybe there will be even some kind of economy. =P

I hope it will work for Ryzom in the end. I will give it a try.

From what they wrote it is  a matter of: we wipe and try to sruvive of close down ryzom right now. So I understand bitterness of loosing your char it seems they have no choice.

This is so true and well stated.

I think the biggest problem was exactly what you said- As a noob you  can see the potential (hell, even extracting is complex and interesting) but quickly realie there is no economy. Those who continue grinding also see that gear is just given away to everyone which rivals what you could make after hundreds of hours- Hence no sense of achievment.

I think this (a new server) will be a good thing for the game. I have also stated that I do NOT think wiping characters is good idea AT ALL. I do not understand why they cant just merge the existing servers (a good idea) and let everyone keep their Toons- Then start a fresh server where everyone is on an even playing field.

This way, Vets arent pissed about losing TONS of work (game takes alot of work as anyone who has played knows- This is probably the most hardcore game around IMHO) and many (most) will roll an alt on the new server anyhow. Even most Vets (other than the top 10-15%) probably would like to experience the game from scratch (new Wars, alliences, history etc.) since the World is currently stale and stagnent.

I do NOT understand the wipe- But I do understand (and agree with) the merger and a new Fresh server.

As stated the community may have been TOO friendly and free with items/cats/etc... This broke the economy for anyone trying to get into the game and it has been the #1 complaint I have seen as to why people dont play- Many feel like I do and although we may not be current subscibers it is not because we didnt love the game- It was like entering a game of RISK (the boardgame) where the game was almost over and 1 player held 95% of the board.

Again, I feel this will be a good thing. Will I like the game enough to be a "long term" subsciber? I dont know. I liked what I saw for the couple months I played and liked the potential I saw. I THINK I will be-  I never was able to see hoew "accomplishing" anything felt like, if that makes sense. So I never saw what the game COULD be. Now I can. =)

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

My guess is they are running into the same issues that Funcom has with Anarchy. None of the original staff is still around and they can't figure out all the little hacks the original staff had to write into the code to make it work. So they don't know how to fix the problems.

(BTW, this is only a possible theory for FC's inability to produce an engine update and in no way has any factual merit)

Riotgirl
  • punkrock2punkrock2 Member UncommonPosts: 78
    I would like to come back* Played ryzom since it first came out and closed like two times with two other componys haha* but a whole wipe is crazy. I have been threw two wipes and know i have to get into a 3rd. Man i wish in the new version they would add cloaks and jumping lol. 
    Originally posted by punkrock2
    I would like to come back* Played ryzom since it first came out and closed like two times with two other componys haha* but a whole wipe is crazy. I have been threw two wipes and know i have to get into a 3rd. Man i wish in the new version they would add cloaks and jumping lol. 

OMG I forgot about the no jumping =/

LOL. 

I agree and thats why good companies usually compensate the playerbase when legally they don't have to do it. But people should get to know their legal rights before emotionally investing themselves in a product only to later be dissapointed/upset.

• TuyetTuyet Member Posts: 135

I'm a vet and one of the few to max all skills.

And I'm starting to get excited about this myself.

The game was stale in many of the ways you guys are saying.

And Winchgate does have a small staff to support Ryzom and if they can do more with just supporting 1 server, maybe it'll be worth it and they will be able to improve the game more.

I do feel sorry for all those players that don't have the time to put into new characters. But not so much for those that just won't.

They are giving "starter packs" to characters that do some of the events before the server merge ( including F2P ). Also get to keep your character name and appearence with these starter packs. Also all subscribed accounts as of Sept 22 get a starter pack -- not sure but guess without a character name save.

There are a lot more vets that are gonna at least give it a try after the merge/wipe than one gets an impression of from reading the forum posts. And I really think a lot of them that say they are unsubbing for good will be back.

I wouldn't worry too much about vets getting back to where they were real fast. At best its gonna take power guilds 2 years to get skills up and hunt boss's and dig supreme mats enough-- to get anything close to the stockpile of goodies they had. And there is gonna be competetition from different groups from 3 different servers.

Some think they are just gonna be able to do it just like before, lol. Who's gonna make them their weapon, their amp, their armor, their jewels? Think you can level real quick with merchant bought equipment? It takes time to level digging and crafting skills.

It will be a lot quicker to level as subscribed accounts will get 2X experience -- but that's just the same as if one used Cats all the time. And there will be no Cats from OPs now.

Ryzom is a very unique game and i sure haven't found anything else that can take its place. Sure i take breaks for a week or 2 or even maybe 3 months but as long as there is a server to play on, I'll be there.

Glaz -- all skills mastered, all occupations mastered, master Catalyst Artificer, master Alchemist

Isahebel, Dureena, Galenn -- all fight/magic/harvest skills mastered, all occupations mastered, master Catalyst Artificer, master Alchemist

This discussion has been closed.