Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do you follow 'professional' vloggers from MMO to MMO?

RoxtarrRoxtarr Member CommonPosts: 1,122

In recent years, Youtubers/Vloggers have come out of the woodwork to promote vaious games.  Some reach over 1 Million views.  However, few (if any) stick with any one particular game.  They tend to switch to whatever game is popular.

Vlogger: "New MMO Online  is coming out! Here are my guides to being super awesome!"  

Gamer: "Oh, I thought you were playing Old MMO Online!"

Vlogger: "Oh, I don't get very many views from that game any more, so I'm leaving you."

Gamer: "Oh, I guess it's time to switch!"

This happens folks - A LOT!  The 'crowd' moves from game to game.

Imagine this - you rewarded that vlogger with thousands of 'clicks'.  That's really all you were to them - you were a bunch of mouse-clicks that went 'cha-ching!'.

Here's my question: how long before individual game communites reject 'game hoppers' and begin rewarding people that stick to your game and community.

When will people start asking, "Weren't you that guy that said SWTOR PVP was the best thing ever? Now you're a GW2 expert?"

What do you guys think, I may be way off here.  I'm curious as to what you guys think.

My personal view is this: if you're going to stay neutral and play many games, that's fine.  But if you're going to gush over every new game just to get fans to click, you've lost credibility :P

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

Comments

• Nope, haven't followed any. I mostly prefer to play a game myself rather than watch someone else do it.
  • Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    For the most part, no.  I love hearing Total Biscuit talk about games though, so I watch him once in a while.  His opinions usually closely match my own, so that doesn't hurt.  Otherwise, I never fully judge a game until I try it.
  • WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990

No

Only ones I really pay any attention to are Yogscast, TB, and Pokket. I only watch their bits if it is in relation to something I am already interested in. Even with those guys I could fucking care what their personal take is. Many times I actually disagree with them, but I find them entertaining and sometimes informative nonetheless.

Well I suppose with Yogscast using the word informative is kind of an oxymoron. :P

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,014
    no,
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • Originally posted by Eir_S
    For the most part, no.  I love hearing Total Biscuit talk about games though, so I watch him once in a while.  His opinions usually closely match my own, so that doesn't hurt.  Otherwise, I never fully judge a game until I try it.

I sometimes watch TB's previews when it's about a game I'm interested in. I like the dude but I don't really "follow him" as such.

• OpapanaxOpapanax Member Posts: 973

Nah, I play games I want to play based on my own taste. I may look at a video here and there to see whats going on in the game mainly when I'm not in a beta for a particular game I'm interested in.

PM before you report at least or you could just block.

• WorstluckWorstluck Member Posts: 1,269

Nah.  Like the others I watch Totalbiscuit when I am bored but not necessarily for MMO's. 

I have a friend who is really into twitch.tv and he loves watching streaming MMO's and follows certain streamers.  I would just rather play the game myself.  I will watch some videos though if I am really, really unsure.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by GrumpyCharr

Here's my question: how long before individual game communites reject 'game hoppers' and begin rewarding people that stick to your game and community.

When it comes to media, exposure and hype, the video bloggers are a great resource. Devs will always entertain them because it's free advertising. When it comes to players, many MMOs have veteran reward systems for exactly the reason your suggest.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

I do read/watch allot about games, but never really follow anyone telling me game X is the next big thing. Unless it's a great personal friend of mine that knows my wants and needs from games.

So NOPE I do not follow vloggers

• MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219

Useful: There is one user: MMOHut or such, which played a ton of free or otherwise mmos, and generally gave some great "1st impressions with" which is useful when there's a ton of mmos that probably would not be able to spend time on otherwise, so vicariously it's quick to see what it's about in a matter of minutes.

As for the general TB, Yogcast, Nerd^3 etc they're usually dependable eg GW2, PS2 I'd prefer to see their vids than official company vids when a game is in development, I think is where they shine or general games that slip under the radar which are gems.

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

Nope.  I find them boring and not very informative.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • Originally posted by MumboJumbo

Useful: There is one user: MMOHut or such, which played a ton of free or otherwise mmos, and generally gave some great "1st impressions with" which is useful when there's a ton of mmos that probably would not be able to spend time on otherwise, so vicariously it's quick to see what it's about in a matter of minutes.

As for the general TB, Yogcast, Nerd^3 etc they're usually dependable eg GW2, PS2 I'd prefer to see their vids than official company vids when a game is in development, I think is where they shine or general games that slip under the radar which are gems.

Argh, I always switch away immediately if I manage to find myself in any video starting with "Mibbedemibbedegaiz mmo hut dot com!" :p

• DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030
    Nope because those I ahve watched have mre about the author stroking their e-peen more than critique.Soem are worth watching for coemdy value but I'll stick to straight news sites for info.
  • CastillleCastillle Member UncommonPosts: 2,679
    Gonna let MikeB AKA Phony explain this.

''/\/\'' Posted using Iphone bunni
    ( o.o)
    (")(")
    **This bunny was cloned from bunnies belonging to Gobla and is part of the Quizzical Fanclub and the The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club**

• maplestonemaplestone Member UncommonPosts: 3,099

I've watched a few esport videos just because I find it fascinating how a good commentator can make watching other people play a game seem like a meaningful activity.  I've also watched a few videos about games that I've already decided not to play, just so I can understand it little better when I see people chatting about it on the boards.

However I've never been interested in watching someone play a game that I myself am going to play.

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005
    No.
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
        I enjoyed the "WTF is" guy..... I dont know if he is a pro or just likes to play alot of games but I learned quite abit about alot of games from him.