Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ryzom - Full server merge and character reset

oscarianoscarian Member Posts: 116

This annoucement by the Ryzom PR team is causing a lot of chatter in the Ryzom community today.  The Saga of Ryzom team have decided to merge all three Shards (servers), and as a consequence, they have also decided to do a full character reset.  This means players, such as myself, who have toons that date from aqs far back as 2004 when the game was still fresh out of the (pre-WoW) box, will lose everything, including their loot, their dappers, and their Titles (I'm still proud of my Karavan Champion Title from a server event in early '05).

While most players are in shock at the announcement today, some players are still putting their hands up in a show of support for the game they love and are looking at the positive sides of the annoucement.  I remember, when I first started out in Ryzom, it was a natural part of the player experience to know that there was no one around who could craft your Q80 Heavy Armor, or your Q120 Amps, and any other such items, other than you yourself.  It was, I feel, the most defining part of creating the community that is still one of the best in the MMO Gamer world.  There are /never/ and Chuck Norris comments in chat, nor is anyone called a "carebear", ever (sic WoW, EVE)!

You might notice my MMORPG.com account was created in 2004.  That's because its the year I started playing Ryzom, it being my first ever MMO experience.  I could have done worse.  

I have spent more time out of Ryzom than in it, but it still draws me back over and over again like an old movie you love, years after my first experience in the open beta (August 2004).  I've yet to find a community that can match the friendlyness and intellegence of the gamers I've found in Ryzom.  I sincerely hope this community gets more than "one last gasp" of a game that we've enjoyed on so many different levels.

I sincerely wish the Ryzom team the best of wishes in this new venture and I'd just like to say that, Ryzom has a lot of special memories for a lot of people, thanks to all the people who have worked on and played the game over all these years - so don't mess it up @RyzomDevs! :o)

Sincerely;

Ian O. Stolz; aka Oscarian.

Comments

• xr00t3dxxr00t3dx Member Posts: 275
    I can certainly understand any frustration that may cause but I think in the end it will make for a whole new experiance for everyone. The real fans will enjoy that I think.
  • WolfenprideWolfenpride Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,988

I might have to check that out when it happens, it'd be nice to have everyone start off on equal footing again.

I'm sure active players that have grinded a lot of varied skills will be a bit upset though.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

WOW! Just......WOW!

I mean.........WOW!

• BrenelaelBrenelael Member UncommonPosts: 3,821

Well... This seems like a very good way to dwindle their already shrinking playerbase. One thing that everyone should take away from SOE and the SWG debacle is you don't screw over your core playerbase. Wiping 7-8 years of character building for some won't be appreciated. This could be the last nail in the Rysom coffin. Seems like a monumentally stupid idea to me.

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

• pyrofreakpyrofreak Member UncommonPosts: 1,481
    Originally posted by Brenelael

Well... This seems like a very good way to dwindle their already shinking playerbase. One thing that everyone should take away from SOE and the SWG debacle is you don't screw over your core playerbase. Wiping 7-8 years of character building for some won't be appreciated. This could be the last nail in the Rysom coffin. Seems like a monumentally stupid idea to me.

Bren

This, seriously.

The whole idea of destroying years of people's ingame effort and expecting any kind of a percentage of user retention is like expecting a block wall to give out before your face.

Now with 57.3% more flames!

• miguksarammiguksaram Member UncommonPosts: 835
    I would seriously like to know what genious or think tank actually believes this is a good decision.  This game has only been able to survive off those who loyal vets who have been willing to pay it's subscription model over the years.  While we all know none of us actually "own" our ingame characters the thought of having something I have spent that much TIME and MONEY into be taken away without good cause would most definitely an instant boycott of that company and any products they are associated with.
  • fonoifonoi Member UncommonPosts: 56
    Honestly there are a few mmo's I would play again if they did a full wipe. Even the vets may be surprised at how much they enjoy the reset game.

• StonesDKStonesDK Member UncommonPosts: 1,805

I guess their plan is

Get rid of the vets and hope enough new blood makes up for the loss. Way to punish those that stuck with the product for so long and made sure the game stayed afloat.

This discussion has been closed.