Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is there anything like Old School UO

I used to be an old school UO guy.  I loved the ability to kill or be killed at any time, and how death actually meant something because you would lose your items.  I have played EQ, Anarchy Online, and Project Entropia since then and I have never been able to find a game that has the same level of adventure.  While UO had the people that only cared about leveling, when I was in the game the focus was on having fun and seeing what could happen.  If I was wandering through a city and a town portal opened I would go into it and deal with the consequences later. 

Where is there a game like UO with a very liberal PVP system?  Also I liked the fact that in UO you only lost items(atleast when I played it) and not experience when you died.  BTW when UO started incorporating Karma and taking away the ability of players to enter town if they were PKs it really started going down-hill.

Comments

• SerienSerien Member CommonPosts: 8,460

I never saw anything special in UO

i suggest you wait for EQII

we'll see how it turns outimage

• teratyateratya Member UncommonPosts: 347
    I am all for the feeling of adventure that UO in that time offered. But losing EVERYTHING on your corpse was BS. Especially when there are pkers that live of that and rape and pillage lesser players. That turned me away from that aspect of UO.

Shots out!

John - "Looks like your going to have to close it yourself, SHITTY!!!!"

• phunkymunkeyphunkymunkey Member Posts: 83

Classic UO-true enough.  I was around when consequences were imposed and you would get townkilled if you were a PK.  I was of a PK group that "Bandited" outside of towns with my group, and was eventually smoked but good.  But that's what made the game so wonderful besides the true freedom-the risk.

I am of your frame of mind.  Meaningful losses = meaningful gains. 

I'm sorry to say it, but nothing like it exists-the industry has gone BACKWARDS in the past 5 years in this respect.  Gaming seems to have split into factions.  Either you have to settle for a game that is consensual PVP with good role-playing or you go into a PVP with no real social or experience value-unbalanced, narrow-tracked hack and slash fests like Shadowbane-WOW I can kill .. . . and . . . um . . .kill.

The closest thing I've played to give you that rush you are looking for is Hardcore Diablo II, where dead IS DEAD, be it by monster,player, or lag.  Gotta love it-except that its not a true MMORPG.  I have infinitely more respect for a level 40 in that gaming environment, skill wise, than a level 100 in standard,reset- start over-no consequences-gaming.

I posted over in the UO forum about why someone hasn't taken advantage of the "UO classic" design and updated it, but I think all the big $$ investors want those EQ 3D clones out to rake in their $15 bucks a month-probably based on marketing research and revenue potential.

Permadeath and environmental challenges are the next great step in the evolution of MMORPGs. Only through true adversity will one feel accomplished. Only in truly knowing you can die will true adversity present itself.

• Almighty-RobAlmighty-Rob Member Posts: 10
    I suggest you get UOgateway and start trying free servers what i have been doing nothing today can compare to what UO was.

• DisastormDisastorm Member Posts: 318

Originally posted by Almighty-Rob
    I suggest you get UOgateway and start trying free servers what i have been doing nothing today can compare to what UO was.

indeed, uo owned

• ZaradisZaradis Member Posts: 241
    You might want to check out True fantasy live online "if" your not the type of person who hates consoles. This game is for the XBOX, these creators were the ones that made the Classic dragons Quest series. Also they are very influenced by Ultima Online (Old version) because thats where their getting must of their ideas from.

Qoute: "I neva *ucked anybody over in my life, who didn't have it comin' to 'im, you got that? All I have in this world is my balls, and my word, and I don't break 'em for no one, jou understand?" Tony Montana

Qoute: "I neva *ucked anybody over in my life, who didn't have it comin' to 'im, you got that? All I have in this world is my balls, and my word, and I don't break 'em for no one, jou understand?" Tony Montana

• digitydarkmandigitydarkman Member Posts: 2,194

ill be dead and there will still not be a game to compare to uos old skool caliber

DiGiTyDarKMaN Lettin All The Sexy Ladies Know -

image T-I-Double-Ga-Errr Babyimage

• herculeshercules Member UncommonPosts: 4,924

Originally posted by pheonixstar1

I used to be an old school UO guy.  I loved the ability to kill or be killed at any time, and how death actually meant something because you would lose your items.  I have played EQ, Anarchy Online, and Project Entropia since then and I have never been able to find a game that has the same level of adventure.  While UO had the people that only cared about leveling, when I was in the game the focus was on having fun and seeing what could happen.  If I was wandering through a city and a town portal opened I would go into it and deal with the consequences later. 
    Where is there a game like UO with a very liberal PVP system?  Also I liked the fact that in UO you only lost items(atleast when I played it) and not experience when you died.  BTW when UO started incorporating Karma and taking away the ability of players to enter town if they were PKs it really started going down-hill.

I think it is not a debate here about the PvP system.

He just want wants to know if there is a game with PvP that you can loot a player and there is .

It is called SHADOWBANE  and it even has a free trail period.I know when I played it was a game many that had your views on PvP lay their hats.

So probably worth going and checking shadowbane out.