Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Level scaling... Kind of a joke.

JimmydeanJimmydean Member UncommonPosts: 1,290

Ok so I recently hit level 80. I finished up my main story quest minus the dungeon boss at the end.

I enjoy exploration, so I decided I'd go back and explore all of the zones I missed on my way to 80. I figured with this amazing level scaling system, these zones would still provide challenges and I'd get to explore.

I was half right. You can definitely go back and explore zones, same as you can in any other game. Where I was wrong was thinking it would be any challenge at all. I have yet to find a mob, Veteran, Champion, Group Event, or otherwise that isn't absolutely demolished by Hundred Blades even though I am scaled to their level. I literally feel like a level 85 running around in the lvl 10 zones in World of Warcraft demolishing everything in my path. 

So I ask, what's the point of level scaling?  Events give about 2k xp, compared to 18-20k at my real level. Items that drop are based on the zones level, not yours. 

The only events that I know of to have scalable loot are the later on dragon meta events - The Shatterer, etc. 

Comments

• FadedbombFadedbomb Member Posts: 2,081
    Originally posted by Jimmydean

Ok so I recently hit level 80. I finished up my main story quest minus the dungeon boss at the end.

I enjoy exploration, so I decided I'd go back and explore all of the zones I missed on my way to 80. I figured with this amazing level scaling system, these zones would still provide challenges and I'd get to explore.

I was half right. You can definitely go back and explore zones, same as you can in any other game. Where I was wrong was thinking it would be any challenge at all. I have yet to find a mob, Veteran, Champion, Group Event, or otherwise that isn't absolutely demolished by Hundred Blades even though I am scaled to their level. I literally feel like a level 85 running around in the lvl 10 zones in World of Warcraft demolishing everything in my path. 

So I ask, what's the point of level scaling?  Events give about 2k xp, compared to 18-20k at my real level. Items that drop are based on the zones level, not yours. 

The only events that I know of to have scalable loot are the later on dragon meta events - The Shatterer, etc. 

I had a couple zones going back that gave me loot for my level on like a level 15 event.

The Theory of Conservative Conservation of Ignorant Stupidity:
    Having a different opinion must mean you're a troll.

• PoufPouf Member Posts: 341

1. Ok events gives around 12k xp not 20k.... 
    2. If you do an event loop the xp will drop to around 2k
    3. Gear drops to your level even in lower zones and mobs are easier to kill  
    I'm 80 my gf is 40 and I played with her last night, i get good xp still because mobs gives around 60% of what a level 78-80 mob gives, but die like 50-60% faster. I found a level 77 yellow axe 2 level 80 blues and 1 level 80 green.. so yea even level 40 mobs will drop end game stock if you are level 80

• eggy08eggy08 Member Posts: 525
    Originally posted by Fadedbomb

I had a couple zones going back that gave me loot for my level on like a level 15 event.

You can get gear at your level wherever you go, but crafting supplies will stay unique to that level of the zone.

I gotta ask where you even went, because if you really thought that the lower level zones would be harder or as hard as the higher level ones... then you're clearly mistaken. They scaled combat up as you went, so after having that combat scaled back down, of course it will seem easier, not sure what you were expecting at all... But if you pull 20+ mobs in a normal game at a place thats even only 10 lvls below you, you will dodge almost every attack and they hit you for barely anything if they do, then you blow on them and they are gone. If scaling meant nothing, then lower level dungeons would be a joke as well, which is not the case. So honestly think about what you are writing, before your write it. Did you expect a challenge when you were in a lvl 30 and lower zone before, why would now be any different?

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459
    When you go to WAY lower level zones, the drops are mixed between the level of the zone and your real level. This is on the wiki for ages now - you are still rewarded, but less than you would be in a zone of your level.
    Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• JimmydeanJimmydean Member UncommonPosts: 1,290
    Originally posted by eggy08

You can get gear at your level wherever you go, but crafting supplies will stay unique to that level of the zone.

I gotta ask where you even went, because if you really thought that the lower level zones would be harder or as hard as the higher level ones... then you're clearly mistaken. They scaled combat up as you went, so after having that combat scaled back down, of course it will seem easier, not sure what you were expecting at all... But if you pull 20+ mobs in a normal game at a place thats even only 10 lvls below you, you will dodge almost every attack and they hit you for barely anything if they do, then you blow on them and they are gone. If scaling meant nothing, then lower level dungeons would be a joke as well, which is not the case. So honestly think about what you are writing, before your write it. Did you expect a challenge when you were in a lvl 30 and lower zone before, why would now be any different?

Strange, I don't remember being able to solo champion mobs or group events when I was running through there the first time. Or even coming close to it for that matter. Now I press Hundred Blades and everything is dead. One button. And I have cleared all of the starting zones and one 15-25 zone that I missed so far, and yet to see anything anywhere near my level drop. Just a bunch of 1-25 items.

• FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433

You are seriously over exaggerating OP, mobs do drop loot that scales to your level and in WoW they wouldn't even be able to hit you while you could 1 hit them with your auto-attack.

Yes it's much easier, but not to the level that you are suggesting.

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

Originally posted by The_Korrigan
    When you go to WAY lower level zones, the drops are mixed between the level of the zone and your real level. This is on the wiki for ages now - you are still rewarded, but less than you would be in a zone of your level.

That is half true.. PER mob reward is lower on lower level zone , but ...you need to do maths..

At level 80. killing 4 level 80 at a time is kinda hard for most classes..

if i'm level 80 and go back to level 30. Killing 4 mob at a time is amost 4 times faster.. with 50%  less chance of getting the same level 80 rare. So overall, after an hour of gameplay it equals. Let  ( big example nothing exact ) : 

level 80 killing 60mob an hour with 30% chance of getting a level 80 rare OR

Level 80downed to 30 killing 120 mob an hour for 15% chance of getting a level 80 rare...

So overall it's almost the same chance... I'm having a hard time to be clear in english sorry

Originally posted by Pouf

I'm 80 my gf is 40 and I played with her last night, i get good xp still because mobs gives around 60% of what a level 78-80 mob gives, but die like 50-60% faster. I found a level 77 yellow axe 2 level 80 blues and 1 level 80 green.. so yea even level 40 mobs will drop end game stock if you are level 80

What events are you doing that give 12k xp? Must not be the ones in Orr.    And I never felt it necessary to do "event loops". 

Originally posted by Fdzzaigl

You are seriously over exaggerating OP, mobs do drop loot that scales to your level and in WoW they wouldn't even be able to hit you while you could 1 hit them with your auto-attack.

I wish you could log onto a character that is actually level 80.  I literally press 1 button, 1 button. It kills whatever I'm tagetting and hits in a cone aoe. And like I said, after a couple hours of going back in time to do level scaled content, I've yet to see anything anywhere near my level drop. 

• BennuBennu Member UncommonPosts: 46

Here I go again harping on this concept. I too believe the game needs more difficulty. I only die now from doing stupid things - falling off mountains, training 5+ mobs to get to a POI, etc. Part of this might come  from be usually playing a healer in games so I'm used to using a heal spell. I would like to see mobs not have the ability to 1-shot me but use variety in their attack. Heck, I"d be happy if humanoid mobs used the same spells I'm using based on the weapons they are using and their class (ie similar to GW1 with the spells used)

I have not found the problem you faced with loot. I'm only lvl 40ish but the drops have been spot on for my current level. I can't comment on xp because that is one thing I don't even think about with this game.

• ClocksimusClocksimus Member Posts: 354

So you guys can admit that its easier but not admit the system doesn't work? Even though the system was designed so that content would not be trivial?

Down-Leveling syetem: To make all content always require effort.

Down-Leveling system: Does not make all content always require effort.

Dwon-Level system - working as intended?

How?

Strange, I don't remember being able to solo champion mobs or group events when I was running through there the first time. Or even coming close to it for that matter. Now I press Hundred Blades and everything is dead. One button. And I have cleared all of the starting zones and one 15-25 zone that I missed so far, and yet to see anything anywhere near my level drop. Just a bunch of 1-25 items.

Starting zones.. I beat a champion by myself in a starting zone as well... It wasn't nearly as hard, BUT the raid boss of that zone is not soloable. I could 1 shot things with hundred blades before I hit 80 as well, it depended on how well geared you were at the time. I'm assuming you have level 80 or close to level 80 gear, where as when you are leveling, you just pickup stuff on the way so your stats are all over the board.

I don't understand why you thought that you wouldnt get more accustomed to your character by level 80 as opposed to just starting out in a starting zone where your still not used to controls. Not only that, but you have ALL your skills as compared to at lower levels, you were lucky to have 2-3, and only 1 slot for them. So honestly, no I don't see you really making a huge point here.

If you told me you went to a level 50 zone and solod a champion with no troubles whatsoever, I would see your point a little more. But honeslty, you can't judge anything from lvl 30 and lower as far as skill.

• EvilestTwinEvilestTwin Member Posts: 286

Hundred Blades is a broken skill for PvE.   My level 12 Charr could easily solo DE's in the area with vets + mob packs just with Hundred Blades.   Champsions are a lot toughter because eqiupment and trait wise I'm still level 12, but  considering how much stronger you level 80 is just based on those factors, even scaled down, champions should not be a problem. 

Originally posted by EvilestTwin

Hundred Blades is a broken skill for PvE.   My level 12 Charr could easily solo DE's in the area with vets + mob packs just with Hundred Blades.   Champsions are a lot toughter because eqiupment and trait wise I'm still level 12, but  considering how much stronger you level 80 is just based on those factors, even scaled down, champions should not be a problem. 

Once again, nothing that I posted in my OP was an opinion besides the title. It was simply observations. The level scaling system doesn't work as was intended, this is all I was stating and I backed it up by actual observations rather than conjecture based on Arena Net Developers manifesto.

Originally posted by Clocksimus

So you guys can admit that its easier but not admit the system doesn't work? Even though the system was designed so that content would not be trivial?

How?

^ this.

How?

Did you honestly read his posts? He was in starter zones. When were the starter zones ever difficult? If they were, you either:

A. Didn't know your class very well or

B. Are not good at video games in general.

Since he is level 80, I'd assume that A doesn't apply to him anymore and B probably doesn't either since higher level mobs aren't exactly trivial.

If you want a prime example of down leveling working, go to a lower level dungeon. You can't base anything off of starter zones or even almost anything up to level 50 because you have been to higher levels and faced less trivial fights only to go back down the difficulty curve to go, hmmmm this is nothing like lvl 80 mobs, downleveling is stupid.

• engellenengellen Member UncommonPosts: 83

you repliers are defending way to hard, hes right its not at all what was advertised before the game came out, i just recently realized this, stuff dies in 2-3 hits. 

and i also have never seen a lvl 60 item drop when im doing other races starting areas.

played a million mmo's

• eAzydamaneAzydaman Member Posts: 218
    Originally posted by EvilestTwin

^^This. In PVP you can dodge out of the way but the mobs will just stand there and take it. At lvl 80 hundred blades can do 12-15k damage.

What events are you doing that give 12k xp? Must not be the ones in Orr.    And I never felt it necessary to do "event loops". 

I do the chopper/giant/lissa/raia/acolyte and watever event loop in ORR and yes it's 12k xp

I do the chopper/giant/lissa/raia/acolyte and watever event loop in ORR and yes it's 12k xp

Ahh I leveled with exploration rather than event loops. Maybe constant repetition drops the xp you get, I don't really know. I'd take a screenshot right after event completion to prove it, but your post was entirely off topic to begin with.

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    If you experience something that isn't right about the game send a bug report about it. "but it's not a bug it-", send it anyways if you feel it's not as it should be. Just like the BWE3 being easier there may be something going on they need to look at.

I'm sure down the road they will adjust for a % of gear to be "downgraded" when you go into a lower level area. At the moment only your base stats change to accommodate the area your in.

Since a lot of you are great about communicating here, please feel free to relay any response you get from ANet.
  • MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

lol acting like level scaling is the reason you can plow through elite mobs. lol

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682

Even at level 80 in a level 15 zone, I'm not one shotting things. Do I kill them more quickly? Yes, I do. Is it easier than fighting mobs in level 80 areas? Heck yeah, not only because I'm more powerful, but because combat becomes more difficult the closer to the level cap you get, which makes low level encounters you scale down for seem very easy in comparison.

I'd be fine if they scaled damage output back a little further when the level range is very wide, but you can still get killed if you aren't paying attention, so defensive scaling seems to be right on.

Will it get tweaked? Depends on the over all feel in the community. I'd like lower level encounters to be a little more difficult, but others may feel differently.

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

Originally posted by fiontar

Even at level 80 in a level 15 zone, I'm not one shotting things. Do I kill them more quickly? Yes, I do. Is it easier than fighting mobs in level 80 areas? Heck yeah, not only because I'm more powerful, but because combat becomes more difficult the closer to the level cap you get, which makes low level encounters you scale down for seem very easy in comparison.

I'd be fine if they scaled damage output back a little further when the level range is very wide, but you can still get killed if you aren't paying attention, so defensive scaling seems to be right on.

Will it get tweaked? Depends on the over all feel in the community. I'd like lower level encounters to be a little more difficult, but others may feel differently.

But.. combat shouldn't be dependent on your area, but your level. So if I prance into a starter area, I expect mobs to have skills (like knock down, knockback, exc.). Forget the lowbies, they have to deal with me being there expecting that same challenge I got in that level 80 zone. Not my fault they have no skills and haven't figured out their class yet.

• MosesZDMosesZD Member UncommonPosts: 1,361

How?

See that tricky little word 'all?'    That's how I know you're not being honest.    Certainly not in light of ANet's stated goal and purpose which was to make the lower level zones remain relevant to players who have out-leveled them.

You can still be killed.   But you're much more powerful so it's more difficult for you to be killed.   Unike most MMOs where the starter area mobs can't even hurt you.

And it's not like they have never bothered to explain it...:

In PvE, a character's effective level and attributes are automatically reduced based on the enemy levels immediately around the player, and there can be numerous level scalings per area/zone. They retain access to all of their skills and equipment so the area is easier because of this, but should still be challenging to play.

The benefits of this are:

• high level characters are prevented from killing enemies too easily and depriving low level characters of rewards;
    • low level content doesn't become obsolete once a character reaches a higher level.

A scaled down character continues to receive experience and loot that is 'good' for their real level, but it is somewhat less efficient for obtaining experience and items than playing level-appropriate content

That's what ANet says.   That's what ANet has always said.   They never said it would remain the same level of challenge as when you were an unskilled, crap-geared newbie fresh off the Level 1 boat...    And to make an argument based on that false premise is fail.

It would be helpful, in the future, if you actually criticized what ANet actually said instead of what the trolls say ANet has said...