Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Kripparian's take on GW2 PvE

Comments

• MosesZDMosesZD Member UncommonPosts: 1,361
    Originally posted by caetftl

A little background on kripparian, he was in one of the top WoW PvE progression guilds back in the day... he was the first to kill inferno diablo on hardcore in d3, and he is a powergamer + min/maxer. 

So how many of you had a feeling the PvE would come up short?  Anet is not really known for creating challenging PvE, and many people had their concerns about a game which featured 5man endgame pve, as tuning content for 5 players simply will never have the depth of encounters you can design for larger numbers. 

The day where I'm dumb enough to think that some cheating, exploiting live-at-home-with-his-parents loser who can't beat games honestly  has something worth saying is the day I stop gaming.   Because clearly, at that point in time, I'll be in full dementia and will need to be placed in a home.

• caetftlcaetftl Member Posts: 358
    Originally posted by Raekon
    Originally posted by Zzad
    Anet is not really known for creating challenging PvE

Then you don´t know ArenaNet & you haven´t play GW1............................

He definately never did cause Factions was hardcore, the hard mode was almost impossible and some parts of EoTN, the Underworld, Fissure of Woe and Sorrows Furnace were like death traps galore. :)

I did play it, and guess what, it is a breeze compared to things like vanilla wow raiding, let alone EQ pre SoL raiding.  I don't know why gw1 fans think gw1 had good pve, it wasn't even close to the caliber of the most successful mmos in that department.

Also I see a lot of misinformation about kripp being shared here, so I will clarify for those of you who do not want to properly investigate and state the facts.

Kripp received a 3 day ban for the karma vendor exploit.  The initial reason was for advertising the exploit, because anet people watch his stream, and saw him openly advertising it (his philosophy is that if you show the exploit to the viewers, the company is forced to action more swiftly, and this worked in d3)  Because in his mind it was a gray area, and he wasn't sure if it was banworthy, he partook in it because he didn't want to be the only guy that didn't do it, and lost out on profit.  After about 12hours his ban got upgraded to permanent ban, as they handed out the mass banwave to people who did it 50 or more times.  I will disagree with kripp in that he was downplaying what he did, and acting like anet was being unreasonable, but I think while permabans for a first offense on that kinda exploit, is a bit harsh, i do like that anet was showing no tolerance towards such behavior.  Anet actually called kripparian to talk things out, because they know how much pull he has with his stream and viewers, and they got his ban downgraded to a 3day, like a lot of other bans that were appealed.  The fact that Anet actually called him, should tell you something about his significance. 

For those of you trying to downplay his achievements... were you ever a part of vanilla or even tbc wow top guild progression?  If not, you probably can't grasp what it is like, you may think you can wrap your head around what it would be like, but if you haven't experienced it you simply don't know.  By comparison, a game where anyone can combat rez, is a walk in the park. 

Did you have the discipline to clear pre-nerf inferno hardcore diablo?  If not you shouldn't really downplay his accomplishments.

You can make fun of his appearance, or other superficial things, but chances are he is a more talented and intuitive gamer than most people posting here, it would be wise to listen to what he says with some objectivity.

• FinitFinit Member Posts: 145
    Originally posted by MikeJezZ
    You're forgetting dynamic events

Those seem to suffer from vanilla wow hunter raiding syndrome.  Where you turn on auto attack and afk. 

Originally posted by Loke666

Duh, he is just talking about the open world and compare Wows instanced dungeon and raid bosses against GW2s open world bosses.

If he would have compared Wows open world bosses with GW2s things would be different, or if he bothered to do an explorable dungeon instead and compared that.

WoWs open world bosses didn't really allow for afk auto attacking like gw2 does. 

Also he did explorable modes... gimmicks seemed easily mastered and there was no true challenge.

Please go to Orr and tell me that.  We had nearly 40 people get aboslutely destroyed by Lyssa.  Oh, and good luck traversing between waypoints in Orr by autorunning.  Enjoy the repair fee my friend.

The hardest content is at the end in the open world, as it should be.  You know nothing Jon Snow.

My Guild Wars 2 Blog can be found here: Divinity's Reach

Originally posted by Finit

Those seem to suffer from vanilla wow hunter raiding syndrome.  Where you turn on auto attack and afk. 

Duh, he is just talking about the open world and compare Wows instanced dungeon and raid bosses against GW2s open world bosses.

If he would have compared Wows open world bosses with GW2s things would be different, or if he bothered to do an explorable dungeon instead and compared that.

WoWs open world bosses didn't really allow for afk auto attacking like gw2 does. 

Also he did explorable modes... gimmicks seemed easily mastered and there was no true challenge.

Please go to Orr and tell me that.  We had nearly 40 people get aboslutely destroyed by Lyssa.  Oh, and good luck traversing between waypoints in Orr by autorunning.  Enjoy the repair fee my friend.

There will always be people that find easy content challenging.  Because not everyone is proficient.

Originally posted by Aelious
    Originally posted by Seunlau

Sad how people dont get the story, krip is a cool guy and if someone then he is the right person to comment GW2 (PvE wise).

There are no words of how **** people are in these topics, he was one of the best pve player in WoW doesnt that tell you something? Listen to this guy, he said diablo 3 Hardcore was good and it was, same thing goes for GW2. Its still hard to let go of those 50$ bucks I guess? Get over it,

I Hope and I know MoP will clean the floor nicely when its out.

There is nothing about MoP that will make WoW more appealing than GW2 to me, I don't care how many copies it sells.  It's a tired system.  I'm sure this guy is a beast when it comes to exploiting Blizzard games but why do I care what he thinks of GW2? He's an "expert" of a system that GW2 is designed to be different than. image

Fixed that for you.   He's not so much of an expert at 'playing' them, but an 'expert' at finding bugs and exploits to take advantage of.

• AdiarisAdiaris Member CommonPosts: 381

He definately never did cause Factions was hardcore, the hard mode was almost impossible and some parts of EoTN, the Underworld, Fissure of Woe and Sorrows Furnace were like death traps galore. :)

I did play it, and guess what, it is a breeze compared to things like vanilla wow raiding, let alone EQ pre SoL raiding.  I don't know why gw1 fans think gw1 had good pve, it wasn't even close to the caliber of the most successful mmos in that department.

Also I see a lot of misinformation about kripp being shared here, so I will clarify for those of you who do not want to properly investigate and state the facts.

Kripp received a 3 day ban for the karma vendor exploit.  The initial reason was for advertising the exploit, because anet people watch his stream, and saw him openly advertising it (his philosophy is that if you show the exploit to the viewers, the company is forced to action more swiftly, and this worked in d3)  Because in his mind it was a gray area, and he wasn't sure if it was banworthy, he partook in it because he didn't want to be the only guy that didn't do it, and lost out on profit.  After about 12hours his ban got upgraded to permanent ban, as they handed out the mass banwave to people who did it 50 or more times.  I will disagree with kripp in that he was downplaying what he did, and acting like anet was being unreasonable, but I think while permabans for a first offense on that kinda exploit, is a bit harsh, i do like that anet was showing no tolerance towards such behavior.  Anet actually called kripparian to talk things out, because they know how much pull he has with his stream and viewers, and they got his ban downgraded to a 3day, like a lot of other bans that were appealed.  The fact that Anet actually called him, should tell you something about his significance. 

For those of you trying to downplay his achievements... were you ever a part of vanilla or even tbc wow top guild progression?  If not, you probably can't grasp what it is like, you may think you can wrap your head around what it would be like, but if you haven't experienced it you simply don't know.  By comparison, a game where anyone can combat rez, is a walk in the park. 

The only thing hard about vanilla raiding was getting turnips in your raid to do the ONE thing they had to do without mucking it up, oh yes and not wanting to tear your eyes out with a spoon while trudging through the raid instances. I loved vanilla, but never the raids. Good riddance.

There will always be people that find easy content challenging.  Because not everyone is proficient.

Yeah, let's see what level you are in game.  Feel free to friend me, and we can meet up on the same server tonight.  I'd gladly like to see you in Orr and fail miserably.  My name is Aeneas in game.  Let's put your money where your mouth is.  2 gold challenge for the dynamic event of Lyssa, if you live the entire time through it.

• RaekonRaekon Member UncommonPosts: 531

Did you have the discipline to clear pre-nerf inferno hardcore diablo?  If not you shouldn't really downplay his accomplishments.

You can make fun of his appearance, or other superficial things, but chances are he is a more talented and intuitive gamer than most people posting here, it would be wise to listen to what he says with some objectivity.

I don't care about this guys achievements to be honest and I find it out of place to put him on a podest doing as if whatever he says it's law.

Hard Mode in GW1 is not a breeze and if you compare it to your wow raiding, your wow raiding is barely equal to the GW1 hard mode since GW1s hard mode is indeed harder.

As about GW2, try the explorable modes first and talk later. Only because they are 5 people dungeons instead of a large amount of people trying desperately to get a drop from a dice roll, it doesn't mean that they are easier.

I died A LOT in the dungeons in GW2 no matter how good the team was.

The main difference is that waypoints and ressurection are making these dungeons more accessible to players than a WoW raid and that's actually a positive in GW2s part and a negative frustrating feature in WoWs part.

Most of all when people are raiding like 700+ hours only to get a set together, which makes you  grind 24/7 only so you can be competitive at all.

On the top of it its based on how lucky you will be to get the dice roll favor in the first place.

So if you wanna waste so much time of your life grinding to be able to have fun in a game, all the power to you!

I'd rather have real fun without grinding involved and in less time with more possibilities, more freedom and more choice.

Yeah, let's see what level you are in game.  Feel free to friend me, and we can meet up on the same server tonight.  I'd gladly like to see you in Orr and fail miserably.  My name is Aeneas in game.  Let's put your money where your mouth is.  2 gold challenge for the dynamic event of Lyssa, if you live the entire time through it.

I was level 80 before the 28th.  At this point you can't even pay me enough to want to log in, everything is so easy and pointless in the game.  I used to be like you though, i felt like anyone that had valid criticisms about the game had to jump through hoops to prove them to me, or in my mind they were completely discredited.  Unfortunately, the world doesn't revolve around us white knights, we are responsible ourselves to understand the state of the game, it is not the job of masterful players to go in there and waste their time showing us how easy it is.  Especially because most of the time when they prove things, we just disregard it anyway and scream about how awesome gw2 is and how they just played the game too fast. 

I don't care about this guys achievements to be honest and I find it out of place to put him on a podest doing as if whatever he says it's law.

Hard Mode in GW1 is not a breeze and if you compare it to your wow raiding, your wow raiding is barely equal to the GW1 hard mode since GW1s hard mode is indeed harder.

As about GW2, try the explorable modes first and talk later. Only because they are 5 people dungeons instead of a large amount of people trying desperately to get a drop from a dice roll, it doesn't mean that they are easier.

I died A LOT in the dungeons in GW2 no matter how good the team was.

The main difference is that waypoints and ressurection are making these dungeons more accessible to players than a WoW raid and that's actually a positive in GW2s part and a negative frustrating feature in WoWs part.

Most of all when people are raiding like 700+ hours only to get a set together, which makes you  grind 24/7 only so you can be competitive at all.

On the top of it its based on how lucky you will be to get the dice roll favor in the first place.

So if you wanna waste so much time of your life grinding to be able to have fun in a game, all the power to you!

I'd rather have real fun without grinding involved and in less time with more possibilities, more freedom and more choice.

Of course you don't care about his achievements, because they are too relevant and don't serve your argument well. 

GW1 hard mode was a breeze for old hardcore raiders from eq, vanilla wow, no video I show you will change your mind, nothing I say will, you are stuck in a cycle that I was once stuck in, where gw was the pinnacle of everything.

Originally posted by cinos
    Originally posted by Blackstar347
    This is the guy who was exploiting the game and got permanently banned by Arenanet. Why on earth would I listen to the opinion of someone who does this?

I am not sure of how good you know a person when you see him/her but what you are saying right there is totally wrong. This guy is a cool dude and he isnt telling lies, you can see it just by looking at him. He even made genuine videos which for me proofs alot. Not only that, he isnt a kid either, he knows what he does and says.

So telling us here that he is a exploiter is just pure BS when HE himself admited exploiting once in his life and it was in wow with a whole 25 man group. I think he deserves much respect.

I actually start to believe that some people here are under 15.. but yeah its not your fault thats how it is :) now go and have some fun gaming. 

So you're saying he didn't infact exploit the cheese pepper exploit and then air it live on his stream for thousands more to see it rather than just report it?

Then, upon being banned for 3 days for airing the exploit intentionally rather than report it, you're saying he didn't then instruct his fans to spam bomb Anet which resulted in his permanent ban?

He also then didn't make an account on Reddit named "Anetisshit" or something to that effect and proceed to bitterly troll the subreddit?

He also didn't then issue a chargeback on his legitimately banned account before purchasing a new account?

Maybe you should actually look into the guys history before condemning someone else for speaking the truth. The way Krippe has acted this past weak has been downright deplorable.7

I told you he is not that kind of a person, what more do you want to know?

No comment.

He is that kind of person.  He cheated in WoW.  He cheated in D3.  He cheated in GW2.   His ACTIONS tell us all that we need to know.

He also has a little cult-following that do the same thing and run around trying to pump-up his live-feed/YouTube channel and do PR work for him.  

• mearimeari Member Posts: 101

Vanilla raid was not hard mechanic wise. It was only hard because it needed 40 people, and keeping them all happy and geared up with all the drama was tedious. Which is precisely why someone's credential from WoW means nothing in GW2.

And all bans were downgraded to 3day as long as people sent in a support ticket promsing to delete all profits. Didn't have to do with Kripp. And I like how you skipped on the bit where Kripp spammed Anet's twitter.

• gboostergbooster Member UncommonPosts: 712

Well,

He is totally right as far as MMO end game raiding is concerned. Guild Wars 2 isn't that type of game. If you are into that sort of thing World of Warcraft is where it's at.

Where Guild Wars 2 is the best is in it's leveling experience and the PVP, specifcally World vs World vs World.

If you go into GW2 expecting it to compete with WoW's end game raiding you will be very dissapointed.

I was level 80 before the 28th.  At this point you can't even pay me enough to want to log in, everything is so easy and pointless in the game.  I used to be like you though, i felt like anyone that had valid criticisms about the game had to jump through hoops to prove them to me, or in my mind they were completely discredited.  Unfortunately, the world doesn't revolve around us white knights, we are responsible ourselves to understand the state of the game, it is not the job of masterful players to go in there and waste their time showing us how easy it is.  Especially because most of the time when they prove things, we just disregard it anyway and scream about how awesome gw2 is and how they just played the game too fast. 

Excuse me but if you managed to hit 80 in around 2,5 days (because of the downtime), you obviously didn't sleep and you also didn't experienced around 99% of the game cause to hit 80 in such fast time means that you:

-  never followed chains of dynamic events

- you either didn't your personal story or only parts of it

- you definately didn't do any of the level 60+ or level 80 dungeons since you need a full team to do these and barely anyone was 80 in less than a week

Please don't bother telling me that you did it all alone because its THAT easy either cause the whole forum will start laughing really hard here for sure.

Most of all because the bosses in the dungeons are not soloable and if you die they regenerate again causing a sisyphus effect.

Rofl, since when is asking for actual evidence of the supposed easiness of the game, by the guy who is advertising the claim that GW2 PvE is easy mode, some sort of an offense?  

As far as being a Guild Wars 2 fanboy...yeah, no.  I actually have been running a blog on Guild Wars 2 for about 4-5 months.  In many of my articles I am critical towards almost every feature of Guild Wars 2.  My latest has been discussing the round of glitches in the personal story, and the one before that took a heavy-handed look at class balance in GW2. 

Of course you don't care about his achievements, because they are too relevant and don't serve your argument well. 

GW1 hard mode was a breeze for old hardcore raiders from eq, vanilla wow, no video I show you will change your mind, nothing I say will, you are stuck in a cycle that I was once stuck in, where gw was the pinnacle of everything.

Please come down from your high podest ok?

I really don't need anything to "server my argument" cause it's valid.

Relevant on saying "thank you for the gear guys" in his diablo 3 videos or do you mean something else?

Except of course if you count it as a selfachievement when other people gearing you up and do the whole work for you so you can show off after and say "wow look up to me people cause I'm great!".

So it's really relevant for me not to care about such a person.

I do wish him well in his life cause I never wish anyone anything bad but praise him for his so called "achievements" which aren't even his, not to mention that he is a exploiter in games (yes I dislike such people)?

You must be kidding me.

• mad-hattermad-hatter Member UncommonPosts: 241
    GW2 is a pvp game.  Not sure why people keep bringing up the pve like Anet owes us something.
  • TheHavokTheHavok Member UncommonPosts: 2,423

Not really a fan of Kripp (his streams are boring) but he makes some valid points. 

HOWEVER - just like WoW is WoW, well GW2 is GW2.  GW2 is a PvP game at heart so the PvE wasn't suppose to be anything new or innovative (in regards to the hardcore crowd).

I think very few people who have experienced WoW's PvE on the highest level expected GW2's PvE to be on par in terms of difficulty and mechanics. 

Edit: One point to add - WoW started off as a PvE focused game but added some excellent PvP mechanics and designs.  I think Guild Wars 2 can do the same with their PvE as the game matures.

• RoxtarrRoxtarr Member CommonPosts: 1,122

kripparian ... is he supposed to be someone important?  Don't know or care who this guy is.  All I know is that he tried to teach over 3000 people how to exploit and got banned.  He was proud of it, bought another account." Hi I'm important!".  No he's not.  He's comparing world dynamic events with raid bosses.  Apples and oranges.  So much usless noise.

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by TheHavok

I think very few people who have experienced WoW's PvE on the highest level expected GW2's PvE to be on par in terms of difficulty and mechanics. 

no game is known for having hard PVE

EQ has more raids than any existing mmo - it all comes down to knowing the tactics / strategies and some practice

there are some exceptions, like FFXI boss taking over 18 hours to beat

http://kotaku.com/5036371/final-fantasy-xi-boss-takes-at-least-18-hours-to-beat

Originally posted by Nadia

no game is known for having hard PVE

EQ has more raids than any existing mmo - it all comes down to knowing the tactics / strategies and some practice

LOL - okay so how do we define difficulty in PvE if Hard is not an option?  Everything is easy, super easy, super super easy, super duper easy?

LOL - okay so how do we define difficulty in PvE if Hard is not an option?  Everything is easy, super easy, super super easy, super duper easy?

never said that

but you are making claims that WOW PVE is harder than GW2 PVE

never said that

but you are making claims that WOW PVE is harder than GW2 PVE

Sorry Nadia - but your exact quote was: "no game is known for having hard PVE". 

Also - time consuming encounters do not necessarily equal difficult encounters.  More like bad game design.  AV in Vanilla sometimes took days to complete.

fine - ill rephase it

many mmos have difficult PVE content especially if they support multigroup content

but none of these mmos have a reputation for having hardest (or even harder) PVE than similiar mmos w endgame content

fine - ill rephase it

many mmos have difficult PVE content especially if they support multigroup content

but none of these mmos have a reputation for having hardest (or even harder) PVE than similiar mmos w endgame content

I completely disagree.  Due to no two developer being alike - no two game, and no two encounter are 100% alike.  Different mechanics, different requirements, different skill involved.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Just about all modern themeparks have easy levelling pve, as far back as and including wow. Possible exception being tsw, that does have some tough quests you might have to come back to later, bring some friends or mess around with your build for.
This discussion has been closed.