Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Kripparian's take on GW2 PvE

caetftlcaetftl Member Posts: 358

A little background on kripparian, he was in one of the top WoW PvE progression guilds back in the day... he was the first to kill inferno diablo on hardcore in d3, and he is a powergamer + min/maxer. 

So how many of you had a feeling the PvE would come up short?  Anet is not really known for creating challenging PvE, and many people had their concerns about a game which featured 5man endgame pve, as tuning content for 5 players simply will never have the depth of encounters you can design for larger numbers. 

Comments

• MikeJezZMikeJezZ Member UncommonPosts: 1,268
    You're forgetting dynamic events
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Duh, he is just talking about the open world and compare Wows instanced dungeon and raid bosses against GW2s open world bosses.

If he would have compared Wows open world bosses with GW2s things would be different, or if he bothered to do an explorable dungeon instead and compared that.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by caetftl

WoWs open world bosses didn't really allow for afk auto attacking like gw2 does. 

Also he did explorable modes... gimmicks seemed easily mastered and there was no true challenge.

Well, if you think bronze reward is fine, yeah, then you can do autoattacks and let everyone else do the job but you can do the same in Wow, or could while Wow had any real open world bosses. Let the others do the work and there you would get full reward.

And the only thing he said about dungeons was in the last sentence, you cant auto attack a dungeonboss down no matter what.

• megaraxmegarax Member UncommonPosts: 269
    Isn't that the dude that was playing D3 24/7? If so, who cares what he has to say.
  • grimm6thgrimm6th Member Posts: 973

A little background on kripparian, he was in one of the top WoW PvE progression guilds back in the day... he was the first to kill inferno diablo on hardcore in d3, and he is a powergamer + min/maxer. 

So how many of you had a feeling the PvE would come up short?  Anet is not really known for creating challenging PvE, and many people had their concerns about a game which featured 5man endgame pve, as tuning content for 5 players simply will never have the depth of encounters you can design for larger numbers. 

This video is about how he thinks that a rage timer could improve boss fights.  Who knows, he might be right.

He also said this: "The overall PvE, with the quests and stuff, thats pretty awesome..."

I used to TL;DR, but then I took a bullet point to the footnote.

• SeunlauSeunlau Member UncommonPosts: 28

Sad how people dont get the story, krip is a cool guy and if someone then he is the right person to comment GW2 (PvE wise).

There are no words of how **** people are in these topics, he was one of the best pve player in WoW doesnt that tell you something? Listen to this guy, he said diablo 3 Hardcore was good and it was, same thing goes for GW2. Its still hard to let go of those 50$ bucks I guess? Get over it,

I Hope and I know MoP will clean the floor nicely when its out.

• MikeJezZMikeJezZ Member UncommonPosts: 1,268
    Originally posted by MikeJezZ

Those seem to suffer from vanilla wow hunter raiding syndrome.  Where you turn on auto attack and afk. 

I see. Its the game's fault that people has the mentality of slacking?

By the way, as I see it, if you just auto attack you never get to achieve gold anyway mate. Have fun with bronze.

• kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759
    Originally posted by Seunlau

Sad how people dont get the story, krip is a cool guy and if someone then he is the right person to comment GW2 (PvE wise).

There are no words of how **** people are in these topics, he was one of the best pve player in WoW doesnt that tell you something? Listen to this guy, he said diablo 3 Hardcore was good and it was, same thing goes for GW2. Its still hard to let go of those 50$ bucks I guess? Get over it,

Best PvE player in WoW isnt exactly saying much. Sorry but its the truth. 

Diablo 3 was just lame, hardcore or not. Your character dying doesnt suddenly turn a horrible fallacy of a diablo game into a good diablo game.

• saurus123saurus123 Member UncommonPosts: 678

pro gamer?

he never worked on his gear alone, he gets everything from his guild mates or fans on his stream

and i want to see him doing explorable dungeons not a easy open world pve where he can zerg anything with hes guildmates/fans

• GhavriggGhavrigg Member RarePosts: 1,308

Those seem to suffer from vanilla wow hunter raiding syndrome.  Where you turn on auto attack and afk.

You get more xp for contributing more to the event. If you care about getting more xp, you'll care about moving and using all your abilties more, dodging to not die, healing yourself, etc.

If you're turning on auto attack and doing nothing else, you WILL die 90% of the time.

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459

The OP's post history: 51 posts, 51 anti-GW2 posts. Someone is on a crusade...

Just a hint for you... if you try to convince us the game is bad, for whatever reason, you are wasting your time. And about that video, I have never cared about the opinion of some nerd powergamer and I still don't care about it.

Then add some nonsense and sweet little lies like "you can win with only auto attacking" (which in reality will result in your death of course, and also pathetic participation), and you have the complete picture of the agenda of the OP.

What's funny about the guy making the video, by the way, is that there's another video of him getting utterly owned... by a GW2 boss =P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2O4Iz0YKpI&feature=channel&list=UL

But yeah, GW2 PvE is easy... ;-)

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    Originally posted by Seunlau

There is nothing about MoP that will make WoW more appealing than GW2 to me, I don't care how many copies it sells.  It's a tired system.  I'm sure this guy is a beast when it comes to playing Blizzard games but why do I care what he thinks of GW2? He's an "expert" of a system that GW2 is designed to be different than. image

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048
    Originally posted by Aviggin

You get more xp for contributing more to the event. If you care about getting more xp, you'll care about moving and using all your abilties more, dodging to not die, healing yourself, etc.

If you're turning on auto attack and doing nothing else, you WILL die 90% of the time.

False. Maybe 10% of the time you die. Join the zerg in orr and go afk. The only thing you Might die on is the one world event, otherwise you can auto attack to victory. The XP is trivial when your max level and the bonus you get is so small anyways it doesn't matter.

• MeowheadMeowhead Member UncommonPosts: 3,716
    Originally posted by The_Korrigan

I actually really like the OP.  He's cool.  He makes me feel good about liking the game. :)  A lot of people have that effect on me, oddly.  I think hearing that people I inherently disagree with have different opinions from me only validates my opinions in my eyes.  (shrug)

• AdiarisAdiaris Member CommonPosts: 381

Hmmm... actually Anet is quite known for not giving into whiners and making their PVE easier, unlike some other game I could cite. 

Personally, I don't even usually die once from start to end game in any MMO. I've died plenty and have been borderline frustrated with some personal story, high level DEs and dungeons. I'm the best player ever? Nope, but I'm not the worst. There will always be players like kripparian who down anything easily, then there are players for whom everything is too hard and needs to be easier, and then there's your different shades of average players that probably make up the majority. 

Personally, I like the PVE even more than I though I would to the point I haven't even been in spvp yet (which was all I did in beta) and only went wvw for monthly achievement. To be honest I never cared for large raid scripted encounters, I feel like I'm playing a spreadsheet and they do nothing for me at all. Even in GW2, while I do do every big event once just to see it (and I kind of enjoyed Claw of Jormag) I much prefer the smaller/medium sized events. Downing a tough champ in 2/3 peeps is very fun and it's great to see the synergy between the players grow as they set-up combos etc. as the fight progresses. 

• IntrospectreIntrospectre Member Posts: 40

actually WoW beat gw2 in world events too at one point in time.. back pre-bc world dragons would spawn in 6 locations in the world at random times, they took at least 2/3 of a 40man raid to down so it become a mad rush to get your guild to them asap when they spawned and they all had challenging raid boss mechanics.

I raided on a pvp server back then and guilds would basically have to fight over who will get to kill the dragon bosses, then people would end up griefing eachother as they try to kill them.. it was like PvPvE.

Nothing in GW2 so far has been anywhere near that involved, boss mechanics in this game seem to work like this: are you melee? get in range of a boss and get some shots in.. die in one shot to a random unavoidable attack. are you ranged? get one shotted by boss' massive radius aoe attack without warning. how is this supposed to be fun?

• mmoskimmoski Member UncommonPosts: 282

He's so right on the boss mechanics, i fought one earlier, the lions arch undead dragon, i couldn't believe it, i set my self to auto attack, then went and made a cup of tea, had a ciggy, and then came back to the game, for me the story line has also been terrible up to this point.

when I compare this to gw1, it was far superior, which is a real shame.. :(

• AdiarisAdiaris Member CommonPosts: 381
    Originally posted by Introspectre

actually WoW beat gw2 in world events too at one point in time.. back pre-bc world dragons would spawn in 6 locations in the world at random times, they took at least 2/3 of a 40man raid to down so it become a mad rush to get your guild to them asap when they spawned and they all had challenging raid boss mechanics.

I raided on a pvp server back then and guilds would basically have to fight over who will get to kill the dragon bosses, then people would end up griefing eachother as they try to kill them.. it was like PvPvE.

Nothing in GW2 so far has been anywhere near that involved, boss mechanics in this game seem to work like this: are you melee? get in range of a boss and get some shots in.. die in one shot to a random unavoidable attack. are you ranged? get one shotted by boss' massive radius aoe attack without warning. how is this supposed to be fun?

hate  to say it but... l2p. Nothing is unavoidable, learn to look for the cues. That's all I can say. 

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459
    Originally posted by Purutzil

Join the zerg in orr and go afk.

I won't waste my time with a lengthy answer, so I will just say "NO".

And such misinformation won't last long when more and more people gain access to Orr. Hell, you can't even do that during lower level events.

Originally posted by Introspectre

Oh yeah, you mean those bosses only the "no life" guilds who were posting a character 24/24 7/7 near the spawn area and rushed as soon as the boss spawned could have a chance to kill? That was awesome... not.

And that was so broken that Blizzard added rules to forbid interference when someone was already fighting the boss. Actually, if you were interfering with those already fighting the boss, you risked a ban. The concept was flawed, and GW2 fixed those flaws (among others).

If you, I quote, "die in one shot to a random unavoidable attack", then you did something wrong. No attack is "unavoidable", and all have warnings/signs before they happen.

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• Blackstar347Blackstar347 Member UncommonPosts: 25
    This is the guy who was exploiting the game and got permanently banned by Arenanet. Why on earth would I listen to the opinion of someone who does this?
  • aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135
    Originally posted by The_Korrigan

Just a hint for you... if you try to convince us the game is bad, for whatever reason, you are wasting your time. And about that video, I have never cared about the opinion of some nerd powergamer and I still don't care about it.

Then add some nonsense and sweet little lies like "you can win with only auto attacking" (which in reality will result in your death of course, and also pathetic participation), and you have the complete picture of the agenda of the OP.

What's funny about the guy making the video, by the way, is that there's another video of him getting utterly owned... by a GW2 boss =P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2O4Iz0YKpI&feature=channel&list=UL

But yeah, GW2 PvE is easy... ;-)

Funniest part about that, is that's not even one of the harder explorables.

I love the catch 22 going on in regards to difficulty, though. People complaing about the PvE being too easy, then get to dungeons and complain that it's too hard.

• eAzydamaneAzydaman Member Posts: 218
    Originally posted by MikeJezZ

Originally posted by Loke666

Duh, he is just talking about the open world and compare Wows instanced dungeon and raid bosses against GW2s open world bosses.

If he would have compared Wows open world bosses with GW2s things would be different, or if he bothered to do an explorable dungeon instead and compared that.

WoWs open world bosses didn't really allow for afk auto attacking like gw2 does. 

Also he did explorable modes... gimmicks seemed easily mastered and there was no true challenge.

Gimmicks? They are alot harder than any content in WOW. By faaaaar

• SeunlauSeunlau Member UncommonPosts: 28
    Originally posted by Blackstar347
    This is the guy who was exploiting the game and got permanently banned by Arenanet. Why on earth would I listen to the opinion of someone who does this?

I am not sure of how good you know a person when you see him/her but what you are saying right there is totally wrong. This guy is a cool dude and he isnt telling lies, you can see it just by looking at him. He even made genuine videos which for me proofs alot. Not only that, he isnt a kid either, he knows what he does and says.

So telling us here that he is a exploiter is just pure BS when HE himself admited exploiting once in his life and it was in wow with a whole 25 man group. I think he deserves much respect.

I actually start to believe that some people here are under 15.. but yeah its not your fault thats how it is :) now go and have some fun gaming.

• Tawn47Tawn47 Member Posts: 512

Right..   so by all accounts he sounds like one of the least qualified people to comment on the PvE for the vast majority of us who don't powerlevel through games.  He has a completely different approach to gaming.

Im guessing, since you seem to be on a crudade against GW2, that his comments were mostly negative...

• DjildjameshDjildjamesh Member UncommonPosts: 406
    If you, I quote, "die in one shot to a random unavoidable attack", then you did something wrong. No attack is "unavoidable", and all have warnings/signs before they happen.

Actually,

The Fire boss in metrica province actually does oneshot you without a sign. Check it out it's quiet funny seeing people drop.

This discussion has been closed.