Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The great Hardcore PVP debate-what do YOU want to see?

I personally like a game where risk/reward mean something.  Otherwise, its just in-game "Master"bation that is a function of time spent on the-ol' treadmill.  Even with crashes and boots and lag, I prefer the risk of Hardcore-type gaming (i.e. loss of life - Daiblo II HC- or loss of exp./equipment - classic UO.)

The only issue I have is with cheaters who manipulate game code-This is the one thing--fairness, a level playing field--that is essential to Hardcore PVP.  Fairness is the biggest challenge that companies must deal with IMHO.

All servers/realms/games should have four options:

1. Regular (minimal loss), consensual PVP (boring in my opinion, but safer and more enjoyable for these into the social interaction. image

2. Regular, non-consensual PVP image

3. Hardcore, consensual PVP image

4. NO-HOLDS-Barred Hardcore, non-consensual PVP with safezones as necessary (like towns).  THis made classic UO awesome. image

Permadeath and environmental challenges are the next great step in the evolution of MMORPGs. Only through true adversity will one feel accomplished. Only in truly knowing you can die will true adversity present itself.

Comments

• Fockewulf8Fockewulf8 Member UncommonPosts: 19
    i agree.  i was raised in DF and DFC so im extremely use to (and enjoy) PvP and i wouldnt play a game, I dont think, that didnt have PvP.   And this consentual PvP i just cant get into.  so id have to go with the either number 2 or 4 image

• HoodwinkHoodwink Member Posts: 61
    From a recent survey I read (but can't find now, sorry) said ~ 5% of all MMORPG gamers would only play games with PvP.  ~25% would play a non PvP game but would rather play a game with it in.  The problem I see at the moment is that PvP gamers do not have a game to play at the moment.  I want to see everyone happy with games they like to play.  Theres nothing worse that having to except something that doesn't quite meet your requirements.

Hoodwink - Half Elf Ranger

Hoodwink

• teratyateratya Member UncommonPosts: 347
    All I know is that I remember back in the day on UO that it was exciting to leave town because you did not know who was friend and who was foe. The only beef I had with that is getting killed and losing all your shit. That was bullcrap and it was exploited by bands of PKers. That was a MAJOR problem for me. Now EQ with dueling is cool, except that nobody does it. I really liked the way UO played when you never knew what was next, and that would be cool to emulate, but make the loss less.

Shots out!

John - "Looks like your going to have to close it yourself, SHITTY!!!!"

• Almighty-RobAlmighty-Rob Member Posts: 10

Man i liked the way they made you lose all ur shit it made you think twice before you wear that all gm crafted platemail of vanq sword. i remmber when everyone wore robes so people didnt know what you where packin and besides it kept people going to the smiths.

• teratyateratya Member UncommonPosts: 347
    Hehheh. I do remember everyone wearin robes. Or you would see people running around naked so as to not lose anything whilst travelling. image

Shots out!

John - "Looks like your going to have to close it yourself, SHITTY!!!!"

• psibotpsibot Member Posts: 254

I played nr 4. type of PvP style for good 3+ years I had alot of fun doing so but finaly reached the conclusion that normal adventure areas being PvP atract even in best cases few enough players exploiting this fact.

I like PvP and there is nothin as adrenilizing as to test one skills and tactics against an worthy foe but good fights based on fun for competion quickly tend to get rare thing to find. If that wasn't the case I maybe think about taking up my full PK carrier. Atm I am simply dont consider type 4. as fun anymore thus not interested in it.

---
    Light laughter and sweet water to you fellow adventures.

• herculeshercules Member UncommonPosts: 4,924

Going for one  myself

I like to quest and explore .So last thing I am intrested in is after spending weeks to solve a quest and then run to fight some uber hard mob and have my health bar at near zero,for someone to come and kill me in 1 hit and steal the item i spent weeks trying to get.

PvP should be voluntary ,have a goal(other then lazy stealing) and be organised(yeah strange as it seems i like to play with other people ,thats why I play MMO games).

• ReebdoogReebdoog Member Posts: 56

I'd like to see old school UO. You leave town? You're fair game.

It FORCED you to get to know your traveling compainions, it made you think before venturing forth. It made you think before wearing that brand new full suit of Bronze plate you just spetn 15k on. It was GREAT!

• paradymeparadyme Member Posts: 238

The original MMORPG's had the best PvP systems.  Meridian 59 in my opinion has the best Hardcore PvP system of all time(has to to make up for the graphics).  It has town safe points like UO and when u kill someone ur name goes red so everyone knows ur a PK, but there r spells to hide that when needed tho.  But the community is very interconnected so it isn't a total bloodbath like SB and AC's Darktide.  U have PK's but then u also have Hunters who hunt down the PK's.  U also have faction wars where there r no death penalties aslong as u wear a facton sheild.  I also like the old DOOM feel the graphics engine gives and with the new graphics engine it might have atleast a Quake II feel *crosses fingers*.  In Games with death penalties uber items r actually worth somethin instead just looking good on characters and free for all PvP keeps players on there toes and always in the game creating better community and gameplay because ppl r always searching for unknown hunting spots and expanding the game.

• MistiMisti Member Posts: 724
    I personally dont want any PvP in mmorpgs I play other then maybe duels, but I believe there should be seperate products available for the PvE and PvP crowds so they both can play the type of games they want.

• DjinDjin Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,263

I think there should be an option you can select in the game.  If you want PvP,  you will have a certain flag above your name, etc. . .

It would make it a lot nicer that way.  I think PvP is very good,  it's a nice way to flex your muscles.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    E.T. is alive...
    MMORPG.com - Gramp Staff

What will he do next?
    Djin, do you mean like EQ's pvp flag via the priest of discord?

• DjinDjin Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,263

I was never blessed to play EQ... but I know what you're talking about... kind of like that idea.

I like UO style.  You walk outside of town,  you're fresh game.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    E.T. is alive...
    MMORPG.com - Gramp Staff

What will he do next?
  • TheoTheo Member Posts: 242
    I never played EQ on a PvP server, but I've been interested in trying it for the same reason many have cited above: uncertainty. It would seem to add a new dimension to the game to potentially be fighting other players rather than just scripted mobs who spawn at predictible intervals and locations. The old school UO idea of being fair game outside of designated safe zones is appealing to me. After all, you've gotta have SOMEPLACE to relax!

• TheoTheo Member Posts: 242

I imagine open PvP would pretty much eliminate the practice of twinking. Why give all your best stuff to your newborn character who'll only lose it in the first 20 minutes of play? For those of you who play(ed) UO, what was your experience?

• RiotgirlRiotgirl Member UncommonPosts: 520

PvP for simply killing x player because you wanted to would bore me now. It is a short lived high. What I really want is PvP to actually mean something in game i.e. a MMOG where resources were finite and at a premium and competition for space, resources meant that occasionally players and guilds would go head to head against each other. Reminds me of that Carl von Clausewitz axiom, "War is the continuation of politics by other means".

EVE has the basis right but not the implementation.

I would prefer a semi-UO feel mixed in with Horizon's potential gameplay i.e. towns etc or safe and so are surrounding areas but as you move further and further into frontier, the land is more lawless - rather like the Wild West 'frontier' spirit.

Whilst there would be players who would Pk for the sheer sake of Pking, PvP would add another dimension to the game rather than be the be-all-and-end-all of a game.

IMO, a lot of players are all talk but once they get their asses handed to them start to cry like little bitches - DEMANDING! that they are compensated because it isn't fair yada yada yada. Mind you, that equally refers to the actual Pkers as well as their victims :P

Regards,
    Riotgirl

"she's like this cleavagey, slut-bomb walking around going 'oh, check me out. i'm wicked cool. i'm five by five'."

"If you think I'm plucky and scrappy and all I need is love, you're in way over your head. I don't have a heart of gold or get nice. There are a lot nicer people coming up. We call them losers."

Riotgirl your hardcore lol.  I like your posts. image

• DesperadoDesperado Member Posts: 467

I know on the pvp server I played on every new person that was incarnated looked for any edge to get ahead.  Sorry, but no twinking?  There was massive amounts of that and buffing new people, to kill advanced monsters, to get big xp going on. 

See I believe there are 2 types of players.  Those that want to unwind by logging into their game, seeing new places, meeting new people, building their 'toon into something to be proud of.  They just want to have a fun evening of enjoyment and feel good after logging off that night.  *smile*

And then there are players like me...

We are the ones that believe without risk, there is no true glory.  Without a lil' pain along with your pleasure- this is simply some simple video game.  We either log off on top of the world due to the new Gold Breasted Platemail we were just rewarded after a tooth and nails brawl deep in pk territory or we log off feeling lowest of low due to being killed in a spot we know is impossible to get to deep in pk territory.  It's kill or be killed.  *evil grin*

Truelly, you find less a-holes in PvP servers- WHAT? You don't think so?  How many times on regular servers have you had some naked guy run up to you and bug you for money?  Or had someone steal a kill from you?  Or someone Plain make fun of your colorfull armor that you're so proud of?  In PvP, I have some comfort in knowing that due to no computer-god gaming restrictions, I can take these matters into my own hands.  *even more evil grin*  

Without your heart racing and your nerves frazzled, and simply knowing that if you don't play at your top game you could very well loose something you've played all week for- then you're not playing as indepth a game as possible.  This is just one person's take on the PvP/ PvE debate.

"A good man knows his limits, a Great man knows he has none...."

"A good man knows his limits, a Great man knows he has none...."

Originally posted by Misti
    Riotgirl your hardcore lol.

I don't trust myself to actually post a reply to this compliment :P

Everytime I see a post of yours, 'Play Misty For Me' always pops into my head - of course, this has slightly sinister connotations because in the film, a psycho fan starts to stalk Clint Eastwood's character and goes all 'Bunny Boiler' over him :P

Regards,
    Riotgirl

"she's like this cleavagey, slut-bomb walking around going 'oh, check me out. i'm wicked cool. i'm five by five'."

"If you think I'm plucky and scrappy and all I need is love, you're in way over your head. I don't have a heart of gold or get nice. There are a lot nicer people coming up. We call them losers."

• SatansDiscipleSatansDisciple Member Posts: 2,782

Originally posted by Misti
    Riotgirl your hardcore lol.  I like your posts.

almost too hardcore... i need the cliffs notes of riotgirls posts, hehe. i used to play runescape a while ago.. a long while ago... and they had something similar to riotgirls idea, which was perhaps the best idea in the game, it seems so simple yet most games dont have anything like it. they had the "wilderness", and the farher youd go out, the bigger the difference between lvls that could attack each other. ex.: in danger lvl 37 a lvl 38 could attack a lvl 1. but the rewards were greater the farther out u went, all the best places to mine etc were far out there. i like the frontier in daoc too, never used it much though, but it was similar to that.

"This is the beginning of a new day. You have been given this day to use as you will. You can waste it or use it for good. What you do today is important because you are exchanging a day of your life for it. When tomorrow comes, this day will be gone forever; in its place is something that you have left behind...let it be something good."
    - Unknown Author

--------------------------------------

Are you saying Im psycho?  image

ur name just reminds her of something from a film no1s ever heard of... or maybe we have, i just dont remember quotes from movies.

"This is the beginning of a new day. You have been given this day to use as you will. You can waste it or use it for good. What you do today is important because you are exchanging a day of your life for it. When tomorrow comes, this day will be gone forever; in its place is something that you have left behind...let it be something good."
    - Unknown Author

Originally posted by SatansDisciple
    [ur name just reminds her of something from a film no1s ever heard of... or maybe we have, i just dont remember quotes from movies.

Correcto mundo! No slight intended.

Follow this link for more information on the film: Play Misty For Me

Regards,
    Riotgirl

1971?!?! gees, u must be an old... riot... girl? ummm... ::;^d::::=^~:::::^)::

*edit*

some1 go in live chat! im bored... and no1s ever in there.

- Unknown Author

I wasn't actually born in 1971, y'know! Merely that was when the film was released. Think of it this way .. you know songs by the Beatles, right? Doesn't mean you were born in the 60's.

I was actually 4 when Star Wars was released. Or was I 3? Keep forgetting the year SW came out.

Regards,
    Riotgirl