Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2 Opinions

Comments

• sycofiendsycofiend Member UncommonPosts: 129

I am enjoying GW2, its shiny, fun.

Now you will probably want to kill me, but  It really doesn't seem all that *different* than WoW. Sure, it has modern questing does away with the class roles, but it still feels like I am playing a new spin on the same game. Maybe just too much of the genre.

not bashing it at all,  but for some reason it doesn't  feel as "different" as say TSW did for me, although TSW graphics are notably a lot clunkier.

I think what did it was my son watching me (who is a big wow buff) and I was trying to sell him on gw2, it was funny but he thought the Charr looked like Tauren/ Worgen hybrids and Sylvari were Dranei/Night Elf hybrids.

I was arguing with him that it wasnt a rip off of WOW, then logged in to "The Black Citidel" and he began cackling maniaclly,  see I told you so !!

Anyways dont hate , I do enjoy the game and already bought more char slots, just saying the setting seems very familiar.

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775
    Originally posted by sycofiend

Now you will probably want to kill me, but  It really doesn't seem all that *different* than WoW. Sure, it has modern questing does away with the class roles, but it still feels like I am playing a new spin on the same game. Maybe just too much of the genre.

not bashing it at all,  but for some reason it doesn't  feel as "different" as say TSW did for me, although TSW graphics are notably a lot clunkier.

I think what did it was my son watching me (who is a big wow buff) and I was trying to sell him on gw2, it was funny but he thought the Charr looked like Tauren/ Worgen hybrids and Sylvari were Dranei/Night Elf hybrids.

I was arguing with him that it wasnt a rip off of WOW, then logged in to "The Black Citidel" and he began cackling maniaclly,  see I told you so !!

Anyways dont hate , I do enjoy the game and already bought more char slots, just saying the setting seems very familiar.

Sadly thats the downside of MMO's, pretty much all the successful ones have been fantasy with the exception of well... 1 lol. High fantasy is simply high fantasy and it all pretty much stems from the same place. While Anet took great care to personalize the fantasy setting it is still a fantasy setting. 

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Originally posted by sycofiend

If your son get to be a smarty pants with you, stop paying his WoW subscription, then he may think it is a lot different! :)

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• solarinesolarine Member Posts: 1,203
    Originally posted by Amjoco

I'm confused on one thing though. You say you get bored with the dynamic events and don't like doing the Heart Quests. Heart quests are just basically the normal WoW quests, so what do you normally like in an MMORPG? 

Valid question. I guess I can totally cop out and say "things outside of quests", which is mostly true, but there's more to it...

You mentioned WOW, so let's use that as an example. I did enjoy playing WOW back in the day, and the thing that amazed me was, again, exploration. I took up gathering, crafting and fishing and explored the maps, tried to go where I was not supposed to, discover new breeds of fish... :P And largely avoid side quests and go for straight mob grinding to gain XP. I did like epic long quests that spun a few levels, though (The Legend of Stalvan!). So, WOW quests that were the equal of GW2s hearts, I really didn't enjoy much. I tried to do explore+grind instead. Admittedly grinding is not that fun in and of itself, but at least it sets you free in how you approach the maps and it provides you with good crafting material.

Though I'll be honest: With SWTOR and TSW, I guess what I expect from questing has changed somewhat. A bit spoiled, maybe? Sure, why not? :) But now I find I'm looking for some story content and character if I'm questing. Otherwise, I'm quite happy to explore, indulge in some non-combat systems if the game has them, and just grind away the rest!

• auz10auz10 Member Posts: 9
    Originally posted by solarine
    Though I'll be honest: With SWTOR and TSW, I guess what I expect from questing has changed somewhat. A bit spoiled, maybe? Sure, why not? :) But now I find I'm looking for some story content and character if I'm questing. Otherwise, I'm quite happy to explore, indulge in some non-combat systems if the game has them, and just grind away the rest!

Exactly. The questing in GW2 is more accessible and customizable than WoW and the like, but it doesn't really offer any kind of depth or motivation. I don't think that was ANet's goal though. GW2 is more like a playground where you can hop from the slide to the swings to the monkey bars, whereas a game like TSW is more like an elaborate scavenger hunt with with a plot that unfolds as you go.

• ZzadZzad Member UncommonPosts: 1,401

MY Opinion:

GW2 is all I expected & more.

I started playing videogames more than 25 years ago

and i must admit i got sick & tired of the same formula over & over & over again:

Quest hub>>>kill everything>>>back to quest hub>>>kill the mothers & sisters of the ones killed before>>>quest hub again>>>move to next quest hub>>>and start again.Over & over...MMO after MMO.

Lately i used to cancel one subscription after the other when the MMO i was playing arrived to the Raid or leave part... I raided HARD in wow years ago...and i don´t think i´ll ever Raid again after that. It was an unpaid job for me...more tedious than rewarding. Forced to use certain builds...to do certain Dps or to play a role i disliked to fullfil the raiding roster....

I played GW1...it was a great game...with some limitations...but a lot of great ideas also.

GW2 brings back a lot of those great ideas & takes off the limitations...

It also brings a "new" formula to the genre...a refinement of the genre mixing some very personal ideas they had with other ideas from great games that just didn´t implemented the right way (war comes to mind...)

GW2 is refreshing & beautiful. It´s HUGE & most definetly it´s fun.

Doesn´t have sub,doesn´t force to play a roll you dislike to be able to see endgame...doesn´t place you in disadvantage agaisnt other players because of your gear...no kill stealing...no ninjas anymore...

I found my way back to MMORPGS, I simply love GW2.

imageimage

I'm confused on one thing though. You say you get bored with the dynamic events and don't like doing the Heart Quests. Heart quests are just basically the normal WoW quests, so what do you normally like in an MMORPG? 

Valid question. I guess I can totally cop out and say "things outside of quests", which is mostly true, but there's more to it...

You mentioned WOW, so let's use that as an example. I did enjoy playing WOW back in the day, and the thing that amazed me was, again, exploration. I took up gathering, crafting and fishing and explored the maps, tried to go where I was not supposed to, discover new breeds of fish... :P And largely avoid side quests and go for straight mob grinding to gain XP. I did like epic long quests that spun a few levels, though (The Legend of Stalvan!). So, WOW quests that were the equal of GW2s hearts, I really didn't enjoy much. I tried to do explore+grind instead. Admittedly grinding is not that fun in and of itself, but at least it sets you free in how you approach the maps and it provides you with good crafting material.

Good answer. We are very much alike in that the exploration is the name of the game. I can get waist deep in a game but sometimes it's fun just chilling, watching tv, and gathering. :) 

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

Originally posted by auz10

Exactly. The questing in GW2 is more accessible and customizable than WoW and the like, but it doesn't really offer any kind of depth or motivation. I don't think that was ANet's goal though. GW2 is more like a playground where you can hop from the slide to the swings to the monkey bars, whereas a game like TSW is more like an elaborate scavenger hunt with with a plot that unfolds as you go.

No depth or motivation? He, well maybe you can help me then. How the heck can I make more silver in GW2? That is my motivation right now! I love gathering and crafting to make things in any mmorpg. GW2 is very challenging in that you don't get rich quick so far. 

• Chilli2kChilli2k Member Posts: 14

I find it deeply concerning that the biggest differential between GW2 and WoW is apparently the lack of quest hubs. There may not be quest hubs but there is still an endless supply of uninvolving and generic quests that are easily completed in several minutes.

I just want a remake of EverQuest to be honest. I cannot stand how everything is instanced now. I long for the days of open-world ultra-rare spawns that are on 1 or 2 week respawn timers with a standard deviation of 18hrs. The drops off these mobs were pieces required for quests that were highly involving and EPIC in every sense of the word. Many quests took weeks if not months to complete. Such quests created server legends. Imagine adding a PvP dynamic to open-world highly contested rare spawns.

Originally posted by Chilli2k

I find it deeply concerning that the biggest differential between GW2 and WoW is apparently the lack of quest hubs. There may not be quest hubs but there is still an endless supply of uninvolving and generic quests that are easily completed in several minutes.

I just want a remake of EverQuest to be honest. I cannot stand how everything is instanced now. I long for the days of open-world ultra-rare spawns that are on 1 or 2 week respawn timers with a standard deviation of 18hrs. The drops off these mobs were pieces required for quests that were highly involving and EPIC in every sense of the word. Many quests took weeks if not months to complete. Such quests created sever legends. Imagine adding a PvP dynamic to open-world highly contested rare spawns.

I thought Vanguard was the remake of EverQuest. It has gone f2p!

Originally posted by GrayGhost79

I'm playing boss, I have a level 26 ranger. I need to play more, and I will do so, but my early assessment is that it is barely any different to any of its predecessors.

You are welcome to tell me how it differentiates itself.

You mean besides ... 

WoW, EQ2, etc. have you running around playing errand boy online. Bouncing between one exclamation mark to another. 

GW2 the quests just happen. Sometimes they come to you, sometimes you wander by them and sometimes they spawn right on top of you. Not only that but if you listen and follow NPC's you see the chain events and run into the branches. 

DE = Adventure

Questing = Errands. 

WoW, EQ2, etc. use the traditional rotation semi turn based combat.

GW2 uses a more action oriented combat system. 

WoW, EQ2, etc. class and such determine who you need to group with to do content. 

GW2 allows you to group with whom ever you want. 

WoW, EQ2, etc. focuses on the carrot on a stick approach to keep you playing. You need better gear to get better gear so that you can get better gear and eventually when the expansion comes you will use that gear to get better gear...

GW2 focuses on the adventure and exploration of a virtual world. A large variety of things to do with minimal restrictions. It focuses on giving you options. 

WoW, EQ2, etc. use the main game as an extended tutorial and keep you going by telling you the game gets good/fun at endgame. 

GW2 delivers this type of content from the start. 

I could continue going if you like...  I mean from the core GW2 is a different game and designed to be. It's based on different principles than your typical MMO. 

I'm afraid you're going to have to keep going, because I see nothing in what you've said that really demonstrates fundamental originality, moreover several of your points are contestable.

• ZzadZzad Member UncommonPosts: 1,401

I find it deeply concerning that the biggest differential between GW2 and WoW is apparently the lack of quest hubs.

If that´s what you think i really encourage you to inform yourself a little about GW2 mechanics & features.

There are BIGGER differences between both games than that.
  • Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359

I just want a remake of EverQuest to be honest. I cannot stand how everything is instanced now. I long for the days of open-world ultra-rare spawns that are on 1 or 2 week respawn timers with a standard deviation of 18hrs. The drops off these mobs were pieces required for quests that were highly involving and EPIC in every sense of the word. Many quests took weeks if not months to complete. Such quests created server legends. Imagine adding a PvP dynamic to open-world highly contested rare spawns.

Can you please define "instanced?"  I'm not sure what you mean when you are using the word.

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

• ShimpoGenmuShimpoGenmu Member Posts: 66

gw2 is the best themepark mmo since WoW:WOTLK

haters gonna hate

the haters are the elitist ppl who like to show off their end gear and pwns 1 shot everyone 

• majimaji Member UncommonPosts: 2,091

It's a solid game.

What I like most is number of starting zones. I missed that in games like Rift or AoC.

What I dislike is the combination of a lack of tooltips/tutorials with the missing discussion boards. One of these things is bad, both together is highly annoying.

Let's play Fallen Earth (blind, 300 episodes)

Let's play Guild Wars 2 (blind, 45 episodes)

• AnubisanAnubisan Member UncommonPosts: 1,798

I'm glad so many people are really enjoying the game. I think it's important to understand that it won't be for everyone though. Just because some of you think it is the best thing in the history of gaming does not mean all of us will. The game is NOT perfect and it is not the second coming of Jesus.

I also feel it's only right to remind you all that SWTOR also had very positive reviews and fan reactions in the beginning. We have no idea how GW2 will be doing a few months down the line.

Originally posted by Zzad

I find it deeply concerning that the biggest differential between GW2 and WoW is apparently the lack of quest hubs.

If that´s what you think i really encourage you to inform yourself a little about GW2 mechanics & features.

I'm just going by what somebody else said in this thread when I asked. I'm only level 26 and have a long way to go before I deliver a final assessment. So far it is very cookie cutter to me. I'm not hating for the sake of hating, I want to love this game, I want to love every game I buy, believe me.

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990
    Originally posted by maji

It's a solid game.

What I like most is number of starting zones. I missed that in games like Rift or AoC.

What I dislike is the combination of a lack of tooltips/tutorials with the missing discussion boards. One of these things is bad, both together is highly annoying.

Yeah...this game is a dream come true for altoholics. There are even enough higher level zones that you can skip some on a character and experience it for the first time on a different toon.

As for your second point I agree. For the likes of us it isn't a problem but for someone new to the genre...could lead to a lot of frustration.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

Originally posted by Creslin321

Can you please define "instanced?"  I'm not sure what you mean when you are using the word.

An 'instance' is when you or your group/guild/raid enter a zone/area/dungeon that is reserved especially for you. There are no third parties (aside from any group/guild/raid members you may have entered the instance with).

I don't like them personally, I miss the thrill of racing towards open-world rare spawns against other players/groups/guilds.

Instances ensure that everybody gets what they want, and they shouldn't!

• Ender4Ender4 Member UncommonPosts: 2,247

Through level 40 this is the best MMO I've ever played and I've played most of them back through UO. I am dubious about how the game will play at end game though and that is a pretty important part of the equation.

There are definitely things I don't like about the game. I hate the lack of open world PvP, I'm pretty anti-instance in general. But overall they did a really nice job given how dumbed down the genre is at this point. I didn't expect to find another MMO I thought was worth playing after garbage like Age of Conan, Rift and SWTOR but finally something worth playing came out.

Originally posted by Wickedjelly
    Originally posted by maji

It's a solid game.

Yeah...this game is a dream come true for altoholics. There are even enough higher level zones that you can skip some on a character and experience it for the first time on a different toon.

As for your second point I agree. For the likes of us it isn't a problem but for someone new to the genre...could lead to a lot of frustration.

There is a link to an online tutorial when you login to the launcher. I know it's not what maji is really looking for, but my friend is using it and it is her first taste of an mmorpg other than about 6 hours of WoW. If it helps her it will help just about anyone! 

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990

There is a link to an online tutorial when you login to the launcher. I know it's not what maji is really looking for, but my friend is using it and it is her first taste of an mmorpg other than about 6 hours of WoW. If it helps her it will help just about anyone! 

True but you know how many gamers are. If they aren't handheld through a tutorial they'll just throw their hands up or come here to defend their frustration by saying the game sucks.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359
    Originally posted by Creslin321

An 'instance' is when you or your group/guild/raid enter a zone/area/dungeon that is reserved especially for you. There are no third parties (aside from any group/guild/raid members you may have entered the instance with).

I don't like them personally, I miss the thrill of racing towards open-world rare spawns against other players/groups/guilds.

Instances ensure that everybody gets what they want, and they shouldn't!

If that's the case, then gw2 is not very heavily instanced.  The only instances are your personal story, and the dungeons...otherwiseit's all basically shared world :).  It is definitely not like EQ at all...but for different reasons,

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

• TomBaker_fanTomBaker_fan Member Posts: 131
    Originally posted by Zzad

I'm just going by what somebody else said in this thread when I asked. I'm only level 26 and have a long way to go before I deliver a final assessment. So far it is very cookie cutter to me. I'm not hating for the sake of hating, I want to love this game, I want to love every game I buy, believe me.

As I said before, let me know when you start playing the game...... boss.

• pedrostrikpedrostrik Member UncommonPosts: 396

Played UO, GW1, WoW, LoTRO, AoC, Aion, and some F2P mmo's, and GW2 its by far the best one i played with more stuff than any other and really new features and a beautiful lore and most important of all, a true personal story , and WoW that game with 12 million playing doesn't have one PStory. i still remember i was shocked when started playing WoW after GW1 and i told to my self what this for a crap game (still i was around WoW 2 years till WoTLK ships out) cause my RLife friends was playing it.
    What really makes me angry its people talking about WoW clones ?#$#& what the fock - WoW its the greatest clone by itself ''taking'' others great ideas every new AAA MMO comes out.