Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2 Opinions

Alright for 1 im tierd of seeing 03948324 alts poping up bashing guild wars  just to try n get the community worked up.  ANET did rite on this game, More i play it, more i love it, Been play for 4 days now im lvl 14, played a ton of wvw (didnt realized 5 hours of a night vanished in the process haha).  Wish the trade post would work, Sure few tiny bugs, But this game has lived up to the hyype i expected it to be. I also noticed alot when playing it.  Lotro, i loved how they did things in that game as well i had fun. GW2 has lotro feel too it along with a slew of others games mixed into it.  Im impressed on how anet did this.  Though my only gripe is when wvw reset's its self, that lag bites..lol.  All n all  this game gets a 10 from me and ill keep  playing it, though i dont expect itll be for everyone. 

So whats your alls take so far on  the game?         

Comments

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748
    I guess this qualifies as both fact and opinion, but GW2 is the best MMO I've personally ever played.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• expressoexpresso Member UncommonPosts: 2,218

did rite did they.  

Yeah a fun game but you're just fueling the fire.

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

Might as well jump in here also before the hate starts. 

I want to say this game is the best game I have played since Vanilla WoW. Vanila WoW and WoW in general is it's own type of game and hundreds of games followed its design. I love WoW, Rift, Aion, and even SWTOR, they are all awesome but are basically the same. With that being said, it is my opinion that GW2 is a fresh new way to play online and I'm enjoying the hell out of it. It is now the best game I have ever played. 

I will continue to play other games along side GW2 because I am a true MMORPG Champion. 

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990

I think it is okay. The lands are pretty interesting and I love the exploring aspect. The DEs are a mixed bag for me. Some are rather interesting and fun to do. Others are simply tedious, uninspired or  almost exact replicas of earlier DEs in other zones.

WvW is a blast. I really enjoy it. I like the gameplay design for the most part and the world is huge. Combat is very fluid and fun in this game. I love how the gameplay involves moving around and how action oriented the combat feels.

Crafting is fun and gathering is nice too. It is involved enough that it is entertaining but not tedious and I love that you don't have to skill up to gather. That concept always drobve me nuts in mmos that you can't gather berries from a bush because you don't heave enough skill to do so...w...t...f...

Dungeons are the real downer in this game. They simply feel like more of a zerg affair than anything. Yes, there is some skill involved with some bosses but not enough to really remark about.

AC was okay.

CM was awful. Worst and simplest dungeon I think I have ever seen in an mmo.

TA was...okay but not really memorable in any way either. The dungeons to me are the biggest letdown in this game. They simply don't stand out at all and are largely forgettable.

Best part of all about the game though? No sub...

Overall I enjoy the game and think it is worth a purchase. I'm having fun with it. I just don't think the game excels at everything. All in all though it is a good mmo. Not one I would recommend for dungeon runners though.

EDIT: Forgot to mention I was pleasantly surprised by the personal story line. It started out rather cliche and ho hum, but I must admit as I progressed it actually got pretty interesting and I find myself looking forward to do each portion to find out what will happen next.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• Requiem1066Requiem1066 Member Posts: 274
    Originally posted by fatboy21007

So whats your alls take so far on  the game?         

Can't answer since you seem to only want to hear from people who agree with you .. The game has a few issue for me atm and let's leave it at that shall we :)

Originally posted by Amjoco

delete

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• Chilli2kChilli2k Member Posts: 14

I find GW2 very processional and cookie cutter, I don’t see how the game significantly differentiates itself from WoW, Aion, Rift and all the EverQuest clones.

• TomBaker_fanTomBaker_fan Member Posts: 131
    Originally posted by Chilli2k

I find GW2 very processional and cookie cutter, I don’t see how the game significantly differentiates itself from WoW, Aion, Rift and all the EverQuest clones.

if you can't see the difference, then you aren't playing.

• Chilli2kChilli2k Member Posts: 14

I'm playing boss, I have a level 26 ranger. I need to play more, and I will do so, but my early assessment is that it is barely any different to any of its predecessors.

You are welcome to tell me how it differentiates itself.

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by Wickedjelly

I think it is okay. The lands are pretty interesting and I love the exploring aspect. The DEs are a mixed bag for me. Some are rather interesting and fun to do. Others are simply tedious, uninspired or  almost exact replicas of earlier DEs in other zones.

WvW is a blast. I really enjoy it. I like the gameplay design for the most part and the world is huge. Combat is very fluid and fun in this game. I love how the gameplay involves moving around and how action oriented the combat feels.

Crafting is fun and gathering is nice too. It is involved enough that it is entertaining but not tedious and I love that you don't have to skill up to gather. That concept always drobve me nuts in mmos that you can't gather berries from a bush because you don't heave enough skill to do so...w...t...f...

Dungeons are the real downer in this game. They simply feel like more of a zerg affair than anything. Yes, there is some skill involved with some bosses but not enough to really remark about.

AC was okay.

TA was...okay but not really memorable in any way either. The dungeons to me are the biggest letdown in this game. They simply don't stand out at all and are largely forgettable.

Overall I enjoy the game and think it is worth a purchase. I'm having fun with it. I just don't think the game excels at everything. All in all though it is a good mmo. Not one I would recommend for dungeon runners though.

EDIT: Forgot to mention I was pleasantly surprised by the personal story line. It started out rather cliche and ho hum, but I must admit as I progressed it actually got pretty interesting and I find myself looking forward to do each portion to find out what will happen next.

I guess you never tried the elite areas in GW1? They make other dungeons look like a cake walk in other games. Urgoz Warren or The Deep were absolute nightmares.

The important thing is the fun factor!!!

• AsleepAsleep Member UncommonPosts: 96
    Originally posted by Wickedjelly

AC was okay.

This is pretty close to how I feel about it, but I would prolly rant more on the dungeons, either they are just boring, or they are rediculously hard, and not like hard challenging, hard like whoops I got one shot and we are zerg rezzing ftw. For me it just doesn't feel like they did away with the trinity for any good reason. Its not like they stumbled apon, or created a better expierance, they just did away with it almost at a detriment to the gameplay. They basically created a scenario where, the fall back best strat for most bosses is, ring around the rosey.

But the zones are pretty sweet, I really like the Orr and I wish the non heart zones would have started earlier, map completion can get stale. PvP is my favorite thing about this game, but unfortunatley I dont feel it has enough depth for me right now, spvp is basically the same thing over and over, and WvW can be the same at times, its fun right now. Also I do feel hands down it offers the BEST mmo pvp as far as actual fights go, the length of time you stay alive to utilize your skills is unmatched, allowing for far more tempo based advantages to take place. Skill placement is at the utmost importance.

Yeh and please don't l2p me, obv I am very aware of how good you are already. Its still Honeymoon phase and I'm enjoying every bit of my heart shaped bed.

• auz10auz10 Member Posts: 9

I am enjoying the game so far. It has solid mechanics, design, and overall I've had a smooth experience. The world does feel large and alive with a sense of exploration. That's a nice plus.

However, It's most certainly not as amazing or innovative as the absurd hype is making it out to be. I almost think all the gushing does the game a disservice as it creates unrealistic expectations. When reviewers are praising parts of GW2 that they would otherwise completely overlook or even criticize in any other game, that's a bit ridiculous. I think that's what is driving much of the negativity you see towards the game. People feel they need to counter balance.

That said, ANet did a good job and should be commended on their hard work. GW2 is worth the price of admission to be sure.  

Originally posted by botrytis

I guess you never tried the elite areas in GW1? They make other dungeons look like a cake walk in other games. Urgoz Warren or The Deep were absolute nightmares.

The important thing is the fun factor!!!

Huh? I'm talking about GW2 here not GW. Not following your reasoning. Are you suggesting the ones at high level will be more involved? That's great if they are but I'm referring to what I have actually done and experienced first hand so far in the game.

I do agree however the most important thing is the fun factor. Which is quite high for me in this game in relation to most aspects of it.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• solarinesolarine Member Posts: 1,203

It's a well made game and worth the purchase.

On the other hand, I have to say I disagree with many of the design decisions ArenaNet went with. To sum up, all the mold-breaking in and of itself feels good and fresh, but little of it produces brilliant design. The trinity-less group combat, the spare (but oddly still existant and alarmingly half-hearted) story, the wholly instanced PVP... That's a lot of core stuff I'm not really digging. I love exploring the world (beautiful artwork on environment), but what I get to do while exploring the world is not varied enough for me. I frankly get bored with most DEs (though some are impressive), can't stand hearts, never hold my breath about personal story, and get more and more disillusioned with WvWvW. 

So I've found my own way of playing the game. I decided to stick with pure exploration. I said: "OK, I'll go for map completion, and nothing more." It's quite a fun way of playing the game, and right down my alley. Just one beef: You have to do all the hearts for that. Argh! I wish hearts weren't part of map completion. Still, I have to admit it's rewarding, especially if you don't shoot straight for POI's and hearts and vistas on the map, don't talk to scouts and just go for a full map clear. You "happen onto" the content that way, and it works well with GW2's design.

I'm playing boss, I have a level 26 ranger. I need to play more, and I will do so, but my early assessment is that it is barely any different to any of its predecessors.

Glad to hear you are playing and not here just to bash the game. 

Well, my biggest difference I have noticed is there are no quest hubs. Next would be no trinity system. Another is of course no subscription. Those are pretty huge differences IMHO. Of those I would say that having no quest hub is the biggest improvement I have seen in the genre. 

Although you may think it is the same as the others is of course your opinion. But I disagree,  because if it was the same there wouldn't be so many here hating on it. :) 

• Angier2758Angier2758 Member UncommonPosts: 1,026
    Didn't know 50 cent played gw2.
  • reillanreillan Member UncommonPosts: 247

It's definitely not the same game as WoW...

If GW2 and WoW were put on opposite ends of a MMO spectrum (invalid, but let's hold that thought for the moment), Rift would fall squarely in-between... meaning there are some similarities between GW2 and Rift.

I think where people get off calling it a WoW clone is that we could make a similar spectrum with GW1 and WoW on opposite ends... Rift would then only climb perhaps a quarter of the way, and GW2 would sit in the middle... GW2 does use quite a lot of ideas stolen from the universal gaming ethos (stereotypically defined by WoW)

• BijouBijou Member UncommonPosts: 145

I can't get bored of the combat (especially melee combat with lots of dodging and dodge skills). I love the personal story, the achievements, exploring... And most importantly, GW2 made me love crafting... Seriously, I'm collecting mats (while exploring new places) and crafting all day and I lvl like crazy just by doing that, lol. I'm having fun. And I still haven't tried dungeons and PvP. Great game. :)

Originally posted by reillan

It's definitely not the same game as WoW...

If GW2 and WoW were put on opposite ends of a MMO spectrum (invalid, but let's hold that thought for the moment), Rift would fall squarely in-between... meaning there are some similarities between GW2 and Rift.

I think where people get off calling it a WoW clone is that we could make a similar spectrum with GW1 and WoW on opposite ends... Rift would then only climb perhaps a quarter of the way, and GW2 would sit in the middle... GW2 does use quite a lot of ideas stolen from the universal gaming ethos (stereotypically defined by WoW)

Bah...there are some that will call any mmo a WoW clone. It is an easy way to rile folks up and the hip thing to do.

I just ignore them.

Originally posted by solarine

It's a well made game and worth the purchase.

On the other hand, I have to say I disagree with many of the design decisions ArenaNet went with. To sum up, all the mold-breaking in and of itself feels good and fresh, but little of it produces brilliant design. The trinity-less group combat, the spare (but oddly still existant and alarmingly half-hearted) story, the wholly instanced PVP... That's a lot of core stuff I'm not really digging. I love exploring the world (beautiful artwork on environment), but what I get to do while exploring the world is not varied enough for me. I frankly get bored with most DEs (though some are impressive), can't stand hearts, ever hold my breath about personal story, and get more and more disillusioned with WvWvW. 

So I've found my own way of playing the game. I decided to stick with pure exploration. I said: "OK, I'll go for map completion, and nothing more." It's quite a fun way of playing the game, and right down my alley. Just one beef: You have to do all the hearts for that. Argh! I wish hearts weren't part of map completion. Still, I have to admit it's rewarding, especially if you don't shoot straight for POI's and hearts and Vistas on the map, don't talk to scouts and just go for a full map clear. You "happen onto" the content that way, and it works well with GW2's design.

The map completion along with gathering to me is how it should be done. As I explore and gather, I run into DEs and just do them. It all feels very natural this way and it is more like an rpg. I stop and listen to npc's when I can to try and get the story behind the event.

I'm confused on one thing though. You say you get bored with the dynamic events and don't like doing the Heart Quests. Heart quests are just basically the normal WoW quests, so what do you normally like in an MMORPG? 

• auz10auz10 Member Posts: 9
    Originally posted by solarine

So I've found my own way of playing the game. I decided to stick with pure exploration. I said: "OK, I'll go for map completion, and nothing more." It's quite a fun way of playing the game, and right down my alley. Just one beef: You have to do all the hearts for that. Argh! I wish hearts weren't part of map completion. Still, I have to admit it's rewarding, especially if you don't shoot straight for POI's and hearts and Vistas on the map, don't talk to scouts and just go for a full map clear. You "happen onto" the content that way, and it works well with GW2's design.

That's essentially how I've been approaching the game. Map completion does get pretty addictive, I agree. Especially tracking down the vistas as some are a bit tricky to get to and are rewarding when you do. Nice touch, that.

The hearts... well lets just say I'm not blown away by the concept (ambivalent really). People talk about it like it's some major leap in MMO design, but honestly the distinction between this system and a quest hub is somewhat minor. Just requires less writing on the part of the Devs I guess. Ultimately you're just doing the same things you'd be doing in any other MMO, but you don't have to talk to a quest NPC. All the sudden walking into an area and automatically get a quest to 'Kill 10 Rats' is the MMO equivalent of the Moon landing?

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

You mean besides ... 

WoW, EQ2, etc. have you running around playing errand boy online. Bouncing between one exclamation mark to another. 

GW2 the quests just happen. Sometimes they come to you, sometimes you wander by them and sometimes they spawn right on top of you. Not only that but if you listen and follow NPC's you see the chain events and run into the branches. 

DE = Adventure

Questing = Errands. 

WoW, EQ2, etc. use the traditional rotation semi turn based combat.

GW2 uses a more action oriented combat system. 

WoW, EQ2, etc. class and such determine who you need to group with to do content. 

GW2 allows you to group with whom ever you want. 

WoW, EQ2, etc. focuses on the carrot on a stick approach to keep you playing. You need better gear to get better gear so that you can get better gear and eventually when the expansion comes you will use that gear to get better gear...

GW2 focuses on the adventure and exploration of a virtual world. A large variety of things to do with minimal restrictions. It focuses on giving you options. 

WoW, EQ2, etc. use the main game as an extended tutorial and keep you going by telling you the game gets good/fun at endgame. 

GW2 delivers this type of content from the start. 

I could continue going if you like...  I mean from the core GW2 is a different game and designed to be. It's based on different principles than your typical MMO. 

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359
    Originally posted by Amjoco

Glad to hear you are playing and not here just to bash the game. 

Well, my biggest difference I have noticed is there are no quest hubs. Next would be no trinity system. Another is of course no subscription. Those are pretty huge differences IMHO. Of those I would say that having no quest hub is the biggest improvement I have seen in the genre. 

Although you may think it is the same as the others is of course your opinion. But I disagree,  because if it was the same there wouldn't be so many here hating on it. :) 

If you put GW2 in the company of...

Rift, WAR, AoC, Aion, SWTOR, TSW, etc... then GW2 is WAY different from WoW.

If you put GW2 in the company of...

Halo, Starcraft 2, Madden, Pong, etc... then GW2 is VERY similar to WoW.

But that's because it's in the same genre ;).  When you compare GW2 to other themepark games...it is significantly different from WoW.

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

• NevulusNevulus Member UncommonPosts: 1,288

let's wait until the honeymoon period is over.

On another note, I just don't see any good coming from this thread. 

As to how GW2 is different. Well a lot of people finally see that it isn't drastically different from others in the genre. It did not reinvent much, but it did innovate. Here is a real simple example for the sake of quickness:

In other mmos you have a quest hub with 2 quests. 1 is a kill quest, the other a collection quest. In order for the sake of completion you normally would do both, then kick and curse about having to do a quest that isnt your particular playstyle, but as a MMORPG champion you KNOW you must do it, so you do, and it's not fun.

Well here comes GW2. There is no quest hub, but the hearts are your quest hot spot. Now whe nyou arrive instead of forcing your hand it allows you to participate in different ways. They will give you different option in completing your "heart quest." If you like to hack n slash, you can kill 10 centaurs and call it a day, Heart quest complete. Or if you do not want to hack n slash you can pick up some apples and call it a day, heart Quest complete.

You see? You aren't forced to partake in something you prefer not to, YOU decide how you want to play the game, the game doesnt decide how it wants you to play it. The way content is delivered to the player has been innovated.

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591

I'm enjoying the game alot.

I like the flow of combat, not too fast and not too slow. I'm finding it pretty easy, but I'm only level 27 so I hope it gets a bit more challenging. I only died once last night and for me, thats not enough.

I'm really looking forward to the dungeon's...  Wicked Jelly you have softened my eagerness for them Damn You ;)

I really love the zone design and the artwork. All the little details. The humor, some of the conversations you hear off the cuff are just hilarious.

It's a good time.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee