Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Does GW2 have only 1 faction?

funconfuncon Member UncommonPosts: 279
So does this mean there is no coming across another player of the opposing faction in the game world?

Comments

• Zeus.CMZeus.CM Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,788
    In general PvE no factions, but in WvWvW PvP there are 3 factions fighting for dominance.
  • AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Yes, there are no opposing factions other than battles in Structured PvP and World Vs World PvP. No ganking in PvE if thats what your looking for or trying to stay away from. 

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• funconfuncon Member UncommonPosts: 279
    Originally posted by Amjoco
    Yes, there are no opposing factions other than battles in Structured PvP and World Vs World PvP. No ganking in PvE if thats what your looking for or trying to stay away from. 

In Pve? Is the entire world PvE? No PvP servers?  Another thing I dont like is it doesnt have many races or classes to choose from. Thats one thing I didnt like about SWTOR either. This is where WoW owns these two games. Many races and classes to choose from.

• Mari2kMari2k Member UncommonPosts: 367
    Originally posted by torborg

In Pve? Is the entire world PvE? No PvP servers?  Another thing I dont like is it doesnt have many races or classes to choose from. Thats one thing I didnt like about SWTOR either. This is where WoW owns these two games. Many races and classes to choose from.

What a crap, Wow had exactly the same amount of classes at start , 8 !

Here we have 5 races, wow had (4 per faction).

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

You DO know the game is 8 years old right?  They added 5 new races since 2005...

Everquest 2 still beats WoW in that regard.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003

The whole idea of the Guild Wars franchise is to minimize/mitigate things like grind, long leveling curves, kill stealing, ganking, etc.

The original Guild Wars had pvp content and separate pve content. In GW2 their idea is to separate both types of content but have both easily accessbile to players.

As far as races go; well, "that's this world". It doesn't make sense to have umpteen races if it doesn't make sense with the world.

This is the world that they created.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • DivonaDivona Member UncommonPosts: 189
    I consider WvWvW is PvP server.
  • gravesworngravesworn Member Posts: 324
    It took wow 8 years to get to the point where it is now. People seem to have a very short memory.
  • Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by gravesworn
    It took wow 8 years to get to the point where it is now. People seem to have a very short memory.

No one wants to give any new games a chance either, because they base success on WoW... if it doesn't sell 12 million copies on the first day, it's a total fail.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Gw2 is a much more pvp orientated game than these raid grinders with "flip a switch and pvp magically happens" servers.

E.g. wow clones
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Well, that is just partly true. There are different factions in the game, the vigil and whisperers dont exactly love eachother and neither does char and humans but they are all forced to a truce since the world would otherwise end.

No ganking in PvE kinda is self exlaining,, that would be PvP. :)

All players in the same server have an at least temporary truce.

• Angier2758Angier2758 Member UncommonPosts: 1,026

WoW after 8 years has ... 2 more classes? 3?

Also each GW2 class is *more* than their WoW counter part.  There's just more abilities, strategies, specs, classes within classes.

GW2 has weaknesses, but depth of their professions is not one of them. 

• bonzoso21bonzoso21 Member UncommonPosts: 380
    Originally posted by Mari2k

What a crap, Wow had exactly the same amount of classes at start , 8 !

Here we have 5 races, wow had (4 per faction).

Well, technically WoW had 9 classes when it launched: 7 that could be used by either faction, and 2 that were exclusive to either side. Anyway, people like to point out how far WoW has come since launch and how long it took them to put all that content out, but that argument has its flaws. With WoW still going strong, any new MMO that is intended to directly compete with it has to be released with enough content that players will choose their new game over what WoW offers NOW, not what WoW offered in the past.

• Angier2758Angier2758 Member UncommonPosts: 1,026
    Can't expect new games to have the same content as WoW anyone expecting that is a fool. Work in IT.